OP
UTC

Piaggio MP3 250

Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
Hello, I have a 2007 one of the first MP3 250's. The problem is the charging circuit. It seems to be melting the 30 Amp fuse. The fuse doesn't blow but the surrounding plastic has melted. When measured the voltage seems to be correct but the amperage seems high, around 25 amps! I'm wondering what is causing this problem?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: MP3 250 Charging Circuit Problem
Shaun M wrote:
Hello, I have a 2007 one of the first MP3 250's. The problem is the charging circuit. It seems to be melting the 30 Amp fuse. The fuse doesn't blow but the surrounding plastic has melted. When measured the voltage seems to be correct but the amperage seems high, around 25 amps! I'm wondering what is causing this problem?
This is a new one for me...
Watching your replies.

Melting that line implies you have a "Hello of a Short" somewhere that does not exceed 30 Amps for the fuse to blow. Think about anything that happened recently, did you have a fender bender, drop, modification you may have done to wiring, lights, etc... A prick from the frame thorough your wire harness could cause something like this. Have seen on the Vespa GTS before where it would catch fire.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
OP
UTC

Piaggio MP3 250

Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
No drops and no modifications. I'll have a look at the connections to the voltage regulator and the wiring
OP
UTC

Piaggio MP3 250

Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
After a another look it seemed that one of the red wires going into the fuse box was breaking down. I moved it a bit and it came away. So I cut the other wire away and put in an inline 30amp fuse connector and all seems well at the moment.

I'm guessing the broken strands from the wire was increasing resistance and causing the heat.

It seems that fuse box is susceptible to the road dirt/water and heat from the exhaust?
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Trying to understand where that 25 amp figure came from as it sounds a bit unhealthy. Assuming that the headlamp(s) take about 10 to 15 amps and the battery itself might take around 3 what is taking the rest? Do you have heated grips?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Shaun M wrote:
After a another look it seemed that one of the red wires going into the fuse box was breaking down. I moved it a bit and it came away. So I cut the other wire away and put in an inline 30amp fuse connector and all seems well at the moment.

I'm guessing the broken strands from the wire was increasing resistance and causing the heat.

It seems that fuse box is susceptible to the road dirt/water and heat from the exhaust?
Great Work...

I know one of the vulnerables spots for the MP3 is where you fill your gas tank. When the gas overflows and goes through that hole and drips to the ground, there are some wires underneath the ABS that get wet from the gas overflow. Over time they will break down the shielding of those wires.

If you have a picture of where your problem was, please post...
I would like to check that position the next time I have my bike apart to add some additional tape on those wires.

Thanks,
Keith
Marietta, GA
@lady_n_red avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500ie "The Bug"

Enthusiast
@lady_n_red avatar
2009 MP3 500ie "The Bug"
UTC quote
Melting fuse
Jimc had something like this years ago... Another Fuoco hidden fuse story... With pictures.. of his issues.
http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/fuoco_solenoid/

Good luck!
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: Melting fuse
lady_n_red wrote:
Jimc had something like this years ago... Another Fuoco hidden fuse story... With pictures.. of his issues.
http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/fuoco_solenoid/

Good luck!
The MP3/250, does not have this Fuse...

Keith,
Marietta, GA
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0615s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0337s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]