UTC

Hooked
2015 GTS 300 Super ABS and 2015 Sprint 150 ABS

Hooked
@jeffolson avatar
UTC quote
Greetings from Oregon!

I have a new Vespa GTS 300 Super, and I love it! It is especially fun puttering around the countryside where we live with my wife on her red Sprint 150 and me on my blue GTS. At lower speeds, no windscreen is needed.

However, I like to commute on my Vespa, too (and not just on my Moto Guzzi Norge). My commute is about 21 miles each way, with much of it at 55 to 65 miles per hour (up to "99" on the Norge!). So far, I have tried the mid-sized Vespa screen and am currently using the small Vespa fly screen. Either is fine around town, but neither does a good job on the highway as far as noise and buffeting about my head. I like to ride with a half-helmet (with ear plugs), and I would like some peace and quiet at high speed.

I have read all of the threads. I am just wondering if anyone has anything new to add regarding the tall Vespa screen? (I am not really interested in non-Vespa screens; I don't care about the price; and I may or may not cut it down if I get a tall one.) Should I give the tall one a try, or should I just go back to the medium-sized screen and slouch on the highway to get below the wind blast?

Also, I plan to ride my Vespa in the rain and the dark, as I do my Norge, and I don't mind looking through a windscreen.

Thanks for any thoughts!
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),
UTC quote
I've noticed the Italians love the large wind screens, on any scooter. On scooters they most often wear open helmets.
I would really suggest you try riding locally at night; I've been seriously disappointed with the vespa headlight on the open highway at night.
OP
@jeffolson avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jeffolson avatar
UTC quote
Harvey wrote:
I've noticed the Italians love the large wind screens, on any scooter. On scooters they most often wear open helmets.
I would really suggest you try riding locally at night; I've been seriously disappointed with the vespa headlight on the open highway at night.
Thanks, Harvey, I will. I have already ridden it around our place at night with no problems, but not yet in the rain and the dark on the highway.

By the way, aren't the GTS headlights a bit different for 2015, with LED daytime running lights? (I usually ride with my high beam on.)
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like you might be ready for the tall one. I have one for both of my scooters. Don't like them in warm weather...rather excessive-looking for one, and I don't mind the blast of air when it's hot. OTOH, when the weather gets chilly, it feels snug and quiet behind one....and the mid-size gets stored for the season.

Despite being quite tall, I did cut an inch off of the tall one so I can look over the top...
@matt6974 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Yamaha MT-07

Hooked
@matt6974 avatar
Yamaha MT-07
UTC quote
I understand some have trouble peering through windscreens in the rain, so I would imagine dark conditions would make it harder.

I tried a tween but it didn't really suit me. But I guess it would give you the option of raising it on the highway or lowering it in the rain. I wouldn't say it's the quietest though, it's not wide enough for that.
UTC

Hooked
2008 S150, 2012 GTS 300, 2002 R1150R

Hooked
UTC quote
This brings memories
With the new GTS, did not like the body drag, so placed a full windshield. No drag. Could hear the engine well, and there was no wind on the head with a 3/4 helmet w/o earplugs
But reading all the threads about shorter screens and curious, I cut it down sequentially and wasn't prepared for the results. I wanted to like it, but didn't. With the cutdown, by degrees, there was so much wind turbulent buffeting at the head. I bought a Schuberth, then a Shoei, both full face but had to use earplugs to make the buffeting tolerable - even with a fly screen . It was better with no screen, but the there was a lot of body drag, and I like speed.

So I gave up, somwhat disgusted with my waste of resources and bought another full screen. I use the full face Shoei and can ride without wind noise, can hear the engine, and do 75 or so comfortably. Don't need earplugs
I think one has to find what works for the individual, and I'm still learning

So this weekend there's a Ducati promo event at the local dealer. Think I'll try it out. Still some room for experimentation
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
meilaj wrote:
But reading all the threads about shorter screens and curious, I cut it down sequentially and wasn't prepared for the results. I wanted to like it, but didn't. With the cutdown, by degrees, there was so much wind turbulent buffeting at the head.
The whole point of cutting down a tall screen is to pick a height where air flow goes over your helmet. if you are experiencing significant helmet buffeting - you cut off too much.
OP
@jeffolson avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jeffolson avatar
UTC quote
I'm inclined to give the large windscreen a try. I like the looks of the medium and small ones better, but I would prefer a calmer, quieter commute at high speed.
OP
@jeffolson avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jeffolson avatar
UTC quote
Bugs have decided the matter. My wife and I went for a ride tonight near our home out in the country. Bugs everywhere! They felt like hail!

Previously, my wife was strongly opposed to the large Vespa windscreens. They do look rather huge. Tonight, she insisted that we order the large screens. (Thank you, bugs!)
@vesfanatic avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300 Super GTS

Hooked
@vesfanatic avatar
Vespa 300 Super GTS
UTC quote
Adjustable windscreen
http://www.proaccessories.com.au/products/mra/varioext.htm

This is an interesting concept
OP
@jeffolson avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jeffolson avatar
UTC quote
^ That is an interesting concept! It seems that several companies offer such a contraption (though not for necessarily for Vespas). Even Givi has one: http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/windshields/airflow-windshields.

By the way, I just ordered the large Vespa-branded windscreens for our two scooters. They should arrive in a week or two. I will report back after giving mine a bit of a workout.
@spyvito avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@spyvito avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Windscreen
The MRA Xscreen works very well, creating a laminar flow on the smallest screen. I used one on a very small Moto Guzzi Griso fly screen. The Givi airflow is also excellent in its adjustability, had one one my MP3.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
And then there is the Laminar Lip ( http://www.laminarlip.com/ ). Not readily adjustable once mounted, but available in many sizes and shapes to give you the height you want plus a "laminar flip" at the top edge to avoid buffeting.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I have tried the laminar lip on the GTS fly screen and did not think it changed the wind buffeting at the helmet. Perhaps on a mid screen it might have a better effect, but I don't have experience with it.
OP
@jeffolson avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jeffolson avatar
UTC quote
The adjustable lips look like a great idea, better than the non-adjustable laminar lip. I don't know if Givi has one for Vespa screens (like the medium-sized screen), but it looks like the MRA Xscreen would work!
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super ABS

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super ABS
UTC quote
I have the FACO twin screen on mine. At the hi level, it us perfect for the expressway, if it gets warm, and in town, I just lower it.

⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@insidethebrainbucket avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS

Enthusiast
@insidethebrainbucket avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super ABS
UTC quote
gregbenner wrote:
I have the FACO twin screen on mine. At the hi level, it us perfect for the expressway, if it gets warm, and in town, I just lower it.

Sorry if this exists somewhere else, I did an extensive search and didn't wnat to open a new topic.

I'm 6'4" and looking for a windscreen after my first freeway drive today... sheesh!

Is this FACO adjustable a good option for someone of my stature?
@elvispa avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300

Addicted
@elvispa avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
I like the looks of this screen.
I like the flexibility it gives you to adjust the protection. It looks like it will work for you at 6-4". But you are gonna be pushed around by the wind at freeway speeds no matter what. This screen will cut down on the in-the-chest pounding, but there is plenty of wind available. I like to try to "lean in" and cut down on my frontal area, and get up closer to the screen.
insidethebrainbucket wrote:
Sorry if this exists somewhere else, I did an extensive search and didn't wnat to open a new topic.
I'm 6'4" and looking for a windscreen after my first freeway drive today... sheesh!
Is this FACO adjustable a good option for someone of my stature?
[quote="insidethebrainbucket"]
gregbenner wrote:
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
I like my screen, but at 6'7" I still get a lot of wind. I like the compromise in summer, but when it cools off (any day now) I'm happy to switch to my full screen which is far quieter. Cut down the LX one (if I do it, seems like fair game for anyone), for the GTS I was given one that I haven't mounted yet, so we'll see how that works.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0334s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0074s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]