Full-face helmet recommendations for claustrophobic rider
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
2015 GTS 300 (White) Triumph Bonneville (Dark edition)Honda PCX 125 (Sold)
Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:31 am quote
TEX wrote:
I'm a fan of the Shark Evoline 3 helmets.

+1 My latest purchase... not too close to the lower face (mouth/ nose) so you feel you can breath, vents work well and when used as open face no drag as it clips right back.

A little noisy but then flip lids normally are, used Shark for my last 3 lids... I too get that closed in feeling with some other brands.
Hooked
GTS 250...Like 150i
Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:48 am quote
Re: Schuberth J1
TEX wrote:
Schuberth J1 - Open-Face Helmet Helmet With Chin Bar offers the protection of a full face
http://www.schuberth.com/en/motorcycle/j1.html

I tried finding this one this summer when in Germany. Its no longer available. Went with the Nolan N40 instead, but love the concept of the J1.
GTS 300 Super
Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:25 am quote

Dainese Jet Stream Face. Goofy name for sure.
Dainese did it first and I think a bit better. This thing is FLYWEIGHT. The chin bar is removable but doesn't feel like it is there anyway. It feels like you are not wearing a helmet. I have two and might be tempted to part with the Silver one (size M). Also, unfortunately, not in production anymore.
Molto Verboso
2010 Aprilia Mana GT, 2010 Aprilia Sport City 300 (sold), 2010 GTS 300 Super (sold), & 2007 LX150 (sold)
Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:52 am quote
Caberg HyperX Helmet
One more to the mix...

Molto Verboso
2010 Aprilia Mana GT, 2010 Aprilia Sport City 300 (sold), 2010 GTS 300 Super (sold), & 2007 LX150 (sold)
Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:56 am quote
To the best of my knowledge I believe we have captured all open-faced helmets with a removable chin bar.

- Caberg HyperX Helmet
- Nolan N43e
- Nolan N44
- Dainese Jet Stream Face
- Schuberth J1
Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:50 am quote
It's probably just as well that the Schuberth J1 is no longer available. On the one I examined the chin bar and it's mounting were both so flimsy and cheaply constructed as to instill a sense of uselessness. And I wanted one badly, too,
Hooked
GTS 250...Like 150i
Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:21 am quote
TEX wrote:
To the best of my knowledge I believe we have captured all open-faced helmets with a removable chin bar.

- Caberg HyperX Helmet
- Nolan N43e
- Nolan N44
- Dainese Jet Stream Face
- Schuberth J1
- Nolan N40
Enthusiast
2008 LXV 150, 'vespiccina'
Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:33 pm quote
I got the N43e on cdwise's recommendation and have been very happy with it. Nice large field of vision, and while it is a bit noisy I feel very safe.
After a year the chin guard started to separate into two pieces at the edges - maybe I was clicking it into place a little too vigorously? - but some Gorilla Glue sorted it out and it's been fine ever since.
Hooked
Burgman 400, BV250, CH80, Helix
Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:49 pm quote
I have for some time thought I should be wearing a full face helmet but found them terribly confining and a real pain to put on then put on glasses. So today I bought the Sedici modular helmet. Took a little spin for about 1 1/2 hrs during the hottest part of the afternoon, 99F. It was very comfortable and strangely seemed to be cooler than my 3/4 helmet. It is nice to be able to open that chin bar and let the air in at long lights. The flip down sun visor was a hoot after having to mess with bifocal shades. It also took away all my issues with buffeting.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:50 am quote
chickadee wrote:
I got the N43e on cdwise's recommendation and have been very happy with it. Nice large field of vision, and while it is a bit noisy I feel very safe.
After a year the chin guard started to separate into two pieces at the edges - maybe I was clicking it into place a little too vigorously? - but some Gorilla Glue sorted it out and it's been fine ever since.
You should contact Nolan for a replacement. It comes with a 5 year warranty.
Addicted
2014 GTS Super Sport SE (wrecked); 2015 Genuine Hooligan 170i (sold)
Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 am quote
cdwise wrote:
chickadee wrote:
You should contact Nolan for a replacement. It comes with a 5 year warranty.
I just ordered a Nolan based upon cdwise's recommendation. I've ridden with her for a number of years and she knows her stuff.
Addicted
bv 350/CB5ooX
Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:35 pm quote
I think we have focused so much on flip lids we have forgotten the main issue (claustrophobia) all flips are good with the front up ....i think the main thing is go to different stockists and try everything ...tedious but worth the effort the last thing you want on a bike is distraction
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:18 pm quote
Mr fish wrote:
I think we have focused so much on flip lids we have forgotten the main issue (claustrophobia) all flips are good with the front up ....i think the main thing is go to different stockists and try everything ...tedious but worth the effort the last thing you want on a bike is distraction
That's why some of us mentioned the Nolan n43-n44 helmets. They are not "flips" but rather have an extra large field of view such that most people don't see the helmet or only very little parts of it while wearing it. The chin bar is removable if it gets in the way putting the helmet on or taking it off.
One benefit of the bigger field of view is that I don't have to drop my head down to read the gauges like I have to do with every other helmet with a chin bar I've ever tried.
Addicted
bv 350/CB5ooX
Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:21 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
Mr fish wrote:
That's why some of us mentioned the Nolan n43-n44 helmets. They are not "flips" but rather have an extra large field of view such that most people don't see the helmet or only very little parts of it while wearing it. The chin bar is removable if it gets in the way putting the helmet on or taking it off.
One benefit of the bigger field of view is that I don't have to drop my head down to read the gauges like I have to do with every other helmet with a chin bar I've ever tried.
it wasn't a negative comment on anyones posts ...it was a more trial and error type of thing
Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:46 pm quote
I've had the N43E for awhile and love it. Gonna stick with this line of helmets as long as I ride.
Hooked
Primavera 150, GTS 250 - Sold, HD Street 500h
Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:42 am quote
Hi Everyone, All the information regarding the various helmets was extremely interesting and helpful. Thank you. I also did research and tried on some of the various helmets mentioned in this thread. I purchased the RPHA MAX by HJC. The deciding factors: modular, extremely light, large field of vision, came with a pin lock and integrated sun shield. After purchasing the helmet, I wore the helmet on my 20 mile ride home. I found that it needs a break in period as it was tight in the jaw area. Lifting the "lid" was very helpful to ease the closed in feeling on the way home - I did this several times at stops. I seriously considered a couple of other helmets. The deciding factors for me were not cost as the others were similar to the RPHA but light weight, compact dimension and simplicity - there is nothing complicated about this helmet. It's the right helmet for me and my shape head.

image.jpg

Addicted
bv 350/CB5ooX
Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:05 am quote
Good choice ...don't worry about the cheek pads they will bed in ...better slightly tight than slightly loose
GTS 300 Super
Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:02 am quote
Hooray and congrats!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:03 pm quote
Congratulations on finding a helmet that fits and you are happy with.

I did discover another helmet with removable chin bar like the Nolan n43/n44 for those interested in a convertible helmet at a lower price point. It is the Vega Phantom. It caught my eye with the butterfly graphic but also comes in solid colors. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/58186/i/vega-phantom-convertible-helmet
Vespa GT60
Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:12 pm quote
Hi there,

Long term lurker here. Do any of you know if any of the removable chin bar helmets would fit into a GTV pet carrier (unlikely I know) once the chin bar has been removed?

Many thanks,

BM
Addicted
2014 GTS Super Sport SE (wrecked); 2015 Genuine Hooligan 170i (sold)
Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:07 pm quote
I bought a Nolan 44. I took off the face shield and put on the sun visor for hot weather use. These parts come off very easily. You have a very wide range of view and good ventilation. Noise reduction is not bad and I don't perceive any whistling sounds. The helmet fits me very well. I'm 100% satisfied. Thanks cd.
Hooked
Formula 125
Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:46 pm quote
MX helmet
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:36 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
That's why some of us mentioned the Nolan n43-n44 helmets. They are not "flips" but rather have an extra large field of view such that most people don't see the helmet or only very little parts of it while wearing it.
Exactly. Wearing a modular with the front flipped up to maintain visibility and air circulation pretty much defeats the purpose of having a helmet with face protection.
Hooked
Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:57 am quote
Update - Hi folks, Thought I would update everyone regarding the saga of my helmet selection. I really thought the RPHA helmet would workout for me but well unfortunately, it did not. I wore it on several short rides and I even wore it around my home trying to make it work for me. I felt rather trapped and closed in to the point of keeping the lid up on rides - this defeated my purpose of wanting a full-face helmet for the colder months of riding in the Northeast. I reread your posts which provided wonderful research on possible helmets for me to try. Some of the helmets were no longer being distributed but of course EBay can sometimes help with that problem. I became very interested in Nolan's n43 and n44 helmets. I ended up purchasing a new leftover n43 on EBay. I read some threads about the life-span of helmets being 5 years. If that is true, I have until the middle of 2017 to get myself another helmet or just keep wearing an outdated helmet. So, I have been wearing the n43 for a month with the chin guard on and the shield down with minimal "claustrophobic issues." Amen to that! The n43 provides a very open feeling and is fairly light just a little heavier than the 3/4 helmets I have always worn in the past. Perhaps in 2017 I will graduate to Nolan's n44 or maybe something else will come along. Thanks again, I have really appreciated your help.
Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:14 am quote
I hope you can adapt to it, Irene.

When I took SCUBA lessons everyone said, "How can you SCUBA dive with your claustrophobia?" It was not a problem. In fact the only time I experienced it was waiting for the open water lesson. I was in full gear, balaclava and all, sitting on the shore, up to my waist in water waiting for my turn to go in. I was overcome with the 'usual feeling'. It totally went away once I got under water.

Maybe the same will happen for you.
Molto Verboso
px 200, lxv 125
Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:12 am quote
THE NOLAN N104 EVO

Flip up & when down offers a realy wide field of view.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:24 am quote
Raputtak wrote:
I hope you can adapt to it, Irene.

When I took SCUBA lessons everyone said, "How can you SCUBA dive with your claustrophobia?" It was not a problem. In fact the only time I experienced it was waiting for the open water lesson. I was in full gear, balaclava and all, sitting on the shore, up to my waist in water waiting for my turn to go in. I was overcome with the 'usual feeling'. It totally went away once I got under water.

Maybe the same will happen for you.
Let's hope not! Scooters aren't supposed to go underwater!
Hooked
GTS 250ie
Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:46 pm quote
Re: Full-face helmet recommendations for claustrophobic ride
Irene wrote:
I plan to ride my scooter into the colder months here in the northeast. I have always worn a 3/4 helmet because full-face helmets make me feel too closed in. I'm thinking a full-face would help with the cold. Are there any full- face helmets with enough visibility to help reduce that closed in feeling? Also, since cost is a factor, any new helmet would need stay within a few hundred dollars.
Hey, fellow New Hampshirite! I almost got one of these http://www.vegahelmet.com/phantom.html
but then I got a Biltwell Gringo, which I love. The Gringo is a retro helmet, very claustrophobic, I would not recommend it to you. The phantom has a long screen and can be converted to a half-helmet.
Hooked
Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:58 am quote
Virtuahead, Thank you for the Vega reference. Can't beat the price! There are not too many convertible helmets on the market. On another subject, There are not too many New Hampshirites riding Vespas. What's with that! I guess they don't know what their missing!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:38 am quote
Irene wrote:
Virtuahead, Thank you for the Vega reference. Can't beat the price! There are not too many convertible helmets on the market. On another subject, There are not too many New Hampshirites riding Vespas. What's with that! I guess they don't know what their missing!
Saw this one when I was in Portsmouth in June.

006.jpg

Vespa LX 50, BMW F650, Honda Super Cub, and Hodakas
Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:31 am quote
Re: Full-face helmet recommendations for claustrophobic ride
Irene wrote:
I plan to ride my scooter into the colder months here in the northeast. I have always worn a 3/4 helmet because full-face helmets make me feel too closed in. I'm thinking a full-face would help with the cold. Are there any full- face helmets with enough visibility to help reduce that closed in feeling? Also, since cost is a factor, any new helmet would need stay within a few hundred dollars.
I agree that a modular "flip-up" would be your best option. However, I've recently tried every helmet brand available within 40 miles and even ordered a couple others by mail and had to send them back. The only one that fit is a G-Max. I was shocked, even the HJC's I've worn in the past now cut me across the throat (strap). In short, definitely "try before you buy".

Ride safe, ride happy,

Vincenzo
P.S. I love the G-Max - superb fit, excellent seal, and quiet.
Hooked
GTS 250ie
Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:34 am quote
Irene wrote:
I think you are right! You see some on the seacoast, but in the deep woods, it's all Harley's not waving at us......

Are you in the NH Seacoast Scooter Club? If not, you may want to join up. Nice people and some fun rides.
Vespa GTS 300 Super
Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:37 am quote
I have a DJC modular helmet and I love it. It flips open really easy if you need to vent some heat & moisture at a light. It also makes it much easier for me to get my glasses since when it's flipped open it isn't as snug.
Hooked
GTS 300 SS BB
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:12 pm quote
alfazhossain wrote:
At this point, safeguarding riders from claustrophobia demands distinctive helmets. Truly, those helmets have comprised specific and related features to provide safety and tranquil feelings.

You may both consider open face and ful face helmets for claustrophobia.

However, this article will help you to choose the right helmet for you.
I sincerely doubt that Irene hasn't bought the helmet she need it six years ago...

Your link is just an articulated Amazon retailer ads.. There are tons of it on Internet...

Last edited by Burt37 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
PX200
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:24 am quote
I wear a Bell Bullit with a bubble shield. It's got a large opening and lots of space inside and looks great with a Vespa.

It's a bit retro, not sealed as well as some modern helmets and makes a bit of wind noise... But I'm not travelling at 150knph, so none of that matters.

It' has all the modern features like speaker pockets etc... And is super comfortable for my head shape.

bbe20af5a41ad300401585368f1e2f84.jpg

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:15 am quote
alfazhossain wrote:
At this point, safeguarding riders from claustrophobia demands distinctive helmets. Truly, those helmets have comprised specific and related features to provide safety and tranquil feelings.

You may both consider open face and ful face helmets for claustrophobia.

However, this article will help you to choose the right helmet for you.

https://helmetsgeek.com/best-motorcycle-helmet-for-claustrophobia/
and just like that, you're a spammer.

byyyyeeee

-g
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 am
alfazhossain has been ejected from this topic
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 am quote
Is it worth removing the link from the quoted posts, to disincentivize future spam?
Hooked
GTS 300 SS BB
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:55 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Is it worth removing the link from the quoted posts, to disincentivize future spam?
I removed it from my quote...
Enthusiast

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:21 am quote
If you want a great full face helmet and feel claustrophobic, I recommend the ARAI XD4. It has great visibility with a large wrap around face shield, is fairly quiet, relatively light weight, has great ventilation and is Snell rated.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1869s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0365s) ][ Debug on ]