MP3 Parking & Owners' manual!
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Enthusiast
Kymco Grandvista 250, Yamaha Vision
Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:21 pm quote
Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum. I ride a Vino 125, and I am fairly well read on the MP3, most from this forum, and I rode one around the parking lot from a dealer. I have questions:

1) When parking the MP3, is the parking brake locked by the ignition switch? I am worried that some naer-do-well could come by, flip the parking lever to unlocked, and my precious MP3 goes rolling away!

2) Parking again: Does the ignition switch lock the wheels turned as with most bikes? So, if I do not use the parking brake, the MP3 just rolls away?? (without using the centerstand)

3) Is there an online MP3 owners manual available?

4) When I am at a stoplight, and I have the hydraulics locked, no feet down, now I want to go, can I move slowly off and the hydraulics will unlock when I am at a slow but stable speed? Or must I put a foot down somewhere in this process? Is the speed at which the front wheel system unlocks something that I can adjust (owners manual)? :?

5) has anyone tried to get the "winterizing kit" for the MP3? My understanding is that this includes tires, windshield, grip warmers, lap warmer, etc.

P.S. I have this nasty habit of asking tough questions -- sorry.
The MP3 seems like a great bike -- I think I want one.

Thom
P.S. I was asked to repost here, so I did.
Enthusiast
MP3 250
Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:40 am quote
[1] If you turn your steering fully one way and engage the parking lever, then using your ignition key, "lock" position, the steering AND the parking brake are immobilized.

[4] a. You can just accelerate away without touching feet down but be very sure that you are almost exactly upright when starting off so the weight of the bike coming to bear doesn't throw you off guard.

[4] b. the electro lock is released upon opening of the butterfly which opens as soon as throttle is applied. Non adjustable to the best of my limited knowledge.

Mike
Enthusiast
Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:26 am quote
moving off from stop: (to akaMike)
akaMike wrote:
[1] If you turn your steering fully one way and engage the parking lever, then using your ignition key, "lock" position, the steering AND the parking brake are immobilized.

[4] a. You can just accelerate away without touching feet down but be very sure that you are almost exactly upright when starting off so the weight of the bike coming to bear doesn't throw you off guard.

[4] b. the electro lock is released upon opening of the butterfly which opens as soon as throttle is applied. Non adjustable to the best of my limited knowledge.

Mike
I have heard it said that 3000rpm might be where the bike loses lock. I was hoping to go with lock at very low speeds to ensure no foot down operation. I asked my dealer to demo going off from stop from lock and he showed me a rather brisk acceleration so as not to lose balance.

I am wondering if it takes 3000rpm to engage the transmission and actually move. I would guess this has to do with safety.

What would be the problem if we could toodle along at low speeds under lock?

Comments, anyone?
Enthusiast
Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:31 am quote
Parking!!! Thanks!!
akaMike wrote:

Mike
Thanks Mike! I was concerned about the parking issue. I am relieved now! I actually thought I might have to weld something to that parking brake lever, and then padlock it to that ring-holding-thing!

Thanks for the relief.
Molto Verboso
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti
Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:13 am quote
Re: moving off from stop: (to akaMike)
tkarlmann wrote:
I have heard it said that 3000rpm might be where the bike loses lock. I was hoping to go with lock at very low speeds to ensure no foot down operation. I asked my dealer to demo going off from stop from lock and he showed me a rather brisk acceleration so as not to lose balance.
There is no way you can ride with the lock at very low speed.

Riding away from a locked situation just takes some practice at first with your feet down but not on the ground, to be able to save if things go wrong.

When I stop at a traffic light i start to brake with both brakes and finaly break with just the rear (left handlebar) and engage the lock to be able to still rol a little untill ful stop.
That way you know you're in a position to ride of safe without puting you're feet down.

But always remember: It is not a must to stop without puting your feet down, its just a nice gatget that comes with this bike. if you're not sure, put your feet down and dont take the risk of falling
Enthusiast
MP3
Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:07 pm quote
Thom,

winter kit is not being imported to US - winter tires, windshield and lap blanket can be purchased seperately from non-piaggio sources. Winter kit shipping from EU is too high to consider. I did not notice it had grip warmers, but those are easily available anywhere.

you can ride at slow speed with the lock on (don't believe everything you read on the internet ) stop on a downward slope and engage the suspension lock. let off the brakes and do not accelerate. bike will roll a few miles an hour with the lock still on. it feels "wrong", I can't imagine a scenario where you would want to do that.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2142s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0462s) ][ Debug on ]