What Coolant Do You Use?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:43 am quote
So, I was going to use this, but not sure if it meets specifications for the GTS 300. Does anyone know? As Stromrider pointed out, coolant is rather complicated; I feel it’s more difficult to find the correct coolant than it is to find the “right” motor oil.

7CFC520E-574E-4F42-B46F-1A795ED0A05D.jpeg

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:14 am quote
I don't think G12 Pentofrost is suitable for our GTS bikes. I can't see the full specs though. I'm pretty sure from memory it's not designed for our bikes and neither is G13. It's meant for VAG group cars that have differing requirements. I think it's not designed for our pump seals amongst other things. I'd need to check it out more before saying yes to that one.
Hooked

Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:17 pm quote
Here's the only specification I can find from the Vespa manual:

AGIP PERMANENT SPEZIALcoolant
Monoethylene glycol-based antifreeze fluid, CUNA NC 956-16

So will any monoethylene glycol with the CUNA NC 956-16 rating work?
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 am quote
No, it won't. Some have Armines and some other plasticisers in them which damage your water pump seals. Engine gaskets can suffer too. I would avoid using any G13 coolants (mostly for VAG group cars) which is often not even glycol ethylene based, it's glycerine based. It could cause issues but I've not tested that one. To be sure, you want to get a mono ethylene glycol OAT based coolant meeting the standards laid down in the owners manual. You may find you can't get one locally that lists all the standards but as long as it's OAT meeting or exceeding most of the standards like this one below, it's fine.

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/298 It's a concentrate and has to be diluted with distilled water or de-mineralised water.

I don't think you can get the Comma products in the States but there will be an equivalent.

Last edited by Stromrider on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 am; edited 3 times in total
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 am quote
Bueller wrote:
https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/oet-european-vehicle-coolant-extended-life-pink/

I bought it at my local Advance auto parts
This one on the face of it looks pretty good. I can't see all the standards it meets but it is OAT and Ethylene Glycol based so it's a start.
Hooked

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:59 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
Bueller wrote:
https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/oet-european-vehicle-coolant-extended-life-pink/

I bought it at my local Advance auto parts
This one on the face of it looks pretty good. I can't see all the standards it meets but it is OAT and Ethylene Glycol based so it's a start.
PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY ANTIFREEZE + COOLANT for EUROPEAN VEHICLES – PINK is an ethylene glycol-based antifreeze/coolant specifically developed for use in any European vehicle requiring a silicate-free Pink formulation. It contains high-quality organic acid technology (OAT) corrosion inhibitors and is free of borate, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, silicate and amines chemicals.

PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY ANTIFREEZE + COOLANT for EUROPEAN VEHICLES – PINK meets the performance requirements of ASTM D3306 and BS 6580. With a complete flush and fill, PEAK guarantees it will provide service life protection of up to 150,000 miles or 5 years.

After reviewing everything they said about it I felt pretty confident in using it after two complete flush/run cycles with distilled water.
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am quote
Yep, that's pretty good and is similar to the Comma I linked to. Just one thing. Although it's sold as a long-life coolant, once in our Vespas it's a short life of two years before it will need changing. The mix of cast iron in our engines will shorten it's life and it will become like any other OAT coolant and become very acidic no matter what the mileage the bike does. You prolly know that though.
Hooked

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm quote
Stromrider wrote:
Yep, that's pretty good and is similar to the Comma I linked to. Just one thing. Although it's sold as a long-life coolant, once in our Vespas it's a short life of two years before it will need changing. The mix of cast iron in our engines will shorten it's life and it will become like any other OAT coolant and become very acidic no matter what the mileage the bike does. You prolly know that though.
Not doubting your claim, but they claim it provides rust and corrosion resistance to all metals.

“PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY ANTIFREEZE + COOLANT for EUROPEAN VEHICLES is a line of premium coolants specifically designed to match the technology and color requirements of European vehicles. Each coolant is formulated with the same corrosion inhibitor technology that protected your vehicle straight from the factory. These formulas will provide excellent protection against rust and corrosion to all cooling system metals, including aluminum, and are fully compatible with other extended life coolants. Color cues on the packaging and a list of covered vehicles on the front label make it easy to identify the right match for your specific vehicle.“

I do not have an antifreeze PH checker, but it would be interesting to see what kind of shape it’s in at the 2 year mark
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:49 pm quote
Indeed, it will protect against rust and other corrosion. But the cast iron in our engines makes up a significant proportion of surface area within our engines which can rust profusely. Therefore any OAT coolant, which attacks corrosion at source, uses up it's additives very quickly. That's unlike other types of coolant that lay down a carpet of chemical protection inside the engine and once done can be largely left for long periods without changing it. If you test acidity (ph) of your coolant at 2 years it's normally still ok. But at 2+ years it starts to go off the scale with increasing acidity which is why Piaggio includes a coolant change at every 2 years to avoid water pump seal, gasket damage and corrosion. I use the 4 way PH test strips which also measures the dilution level ratio too. As a test the OAT 5 year coolant that I use started to become acidic at 28 months. Up to then it was in the OK range. It was not intentional to leave it that long but I ended up in hospital unable to do my normal service on time.
Hooked

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:22 am quote
So you’ve already done the testing. Interesting, and I will keep it in mind!

I used a standard hydrometer to make sure the coolant (which is premixed) wasn’t too diluted by any residual distilled water that I had used to flush the cooling system. I may look into some test strips or a specific antifreeze Ph checker. I have enough vehicles to make it worthwhile.
Ossessionato
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:00 am quote
When I was in the States I used these, although may others are available and often from motor stores.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/eme/analysis

If you have several vehicles it's worth it. It can save you having to change out coolant unnecessarily.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1647s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0556s) ][ Debug on ]