@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
I am chemically stripping the doors. I am on my third coat and nothing else is coming off.

I am really perplexed about two things.
First both doors were black when I started.
The door on the left seems completely stripped but I still see red. Could that be a bondo of some kind. It won't come off with the stripper.
The second questing is in regards to the door on the right. Absolutely nothing is happening, like it was never painted. Three coats over two days produced nothing. Could a paint be that resistant? Or is it just primed. I would think the primer would come off also. The picture is not too clear but that is just the messy gel on that black door. If I wash that off it will look like a nice even flat black door.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Put away the chems! Grab the sandpaper, but clean metal well first.
Its amazing whats found under paint.
My guess:
red is original : probably not off this scoot, but most have been replaced as they all fell off or got damaged.
Black is aftermarket, newer, thinner, prettier... Think of black replacement car panels ... Dat black shit is baked on & dont come off.

Pink is normally bog ("Bondage" to you, something like that), & generally sticks better than paintremover removes... Dont soak it in remover & leave it on waiting for results if none are coming, else it will penetrate later , go soft & scratch or fall out just after you paint it.
⚠️ Last edited by SubEtherBASS on UTC; edited 1 time
@shipscat avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 125 vnb1t

Hooked
@shipscat avatar
vespa 125 vnb1t
UTC quote
a tip for chem stripping very generously coat the part to be stripped , wrap in thick plastic
leave over night
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
wondering if the dark red is body filler? Black powder coat? Sand blast or wire wheel it.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Put away the chems! Grab the sandpaper, but clean metal well first.
Its amazing whats found under paint.
My guess:
red is original : probably not off this scoot, but most have been replaced as they all fell off or got damaged.
Black is aftermarket, newer, thinner, prettier... Think of black replacement car panels ... Dat black shit is baked on & dont come off.

Pink is normally bog ("Bondage" to you, something like that), & generally sticks better than paintremover removes... Dont soak it in remover & leave it on waiting for results if none are coming, else it will penetrate later , go soft & scratch or fall out just after you paint it.
You are right, the red is coming off now. I still have to sand some more but it must have originally come off a red scooter. the black is on for good and that's fine with me. Yes I can definitely tell the difference in quality from the original "red" one and the replacement tinny sounding black one. I will still use it, but it speaks volumes about saving original parts.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
shipscat wrote:
a tip for chem stripping very generously coat the part to be stripped , wrap in thick plastic
leave over night
That's what I'd did, Yes works very well.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
I know next to nothing about body work but I was concerned that this bend in my fender was too weak to fix. Must have happened from a front end boo boo. But I really want to save this fender. I wasn't sure how to tackle it until I thought about my old vice. I am thinking about maybe spot welding a little brace on the inside of the fender just in case it is weak. Do I have a welder? No. Do I know how to spot weld ? No , but I'm thinking about it. Also check out some of that rust. That happened within a day of stripping the paint off. Hence proof the need to spray a light coat of primer right after stripping. I have been told this several times... but noooooo ...I have to learn from my mistakes.
⚠️ Last edited by Retroguy on UTC; edited 2 times
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
might be about time for some

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
or

You can put a little on to see how the bodywork is coming. You need some good filler(hopefully fiberglass) now as well. Good to learn on the mudguard & doors before you tackle the frame.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Well done with the vice, remember tou will still need to bash it a bit later for a great finish.
No chance that fender needs replacing, & keep the welder away as you eill simply blow holes in it.
Do you have a generic 7-pc panelbeating kit (3 hammers, 4 dollies), if not invest a minimal amount in a kit & some glue as the handles will fall out!
Then play, you have nothing to lose except damage.
Red vs black quality... Now you see why i bashed everything straight again, rather than replace panels.
Rust... Yip, it appears real quick, but better you know where it is now rather than after you paint. Use 'rust converter' before primer... I mentioned it somewhere in my post.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Ok the V90 is back from the paint booth. I just need to let it cure for a full week before I start putting the parts back on.....Ok thats not my scooter just seeing if you would judge me. Although I'm sure that scooter looks awesome. Actually my frame is being blasted. As much fun as chemically stripping is, it doesn't work very well in a cold garage. I am still having difficulty picking a color. My heart says Robins Egg Blue, but the scooter is screaming to stay orange.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
UTC quote
Yea! Orange is growing on you!
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
It's ultimately up to you, but I would stick with the colors originally available in that model. I used to have a 71 Olds Cutlass, and it was "Saturn Gold" (more like baby poop), and although it was not pretty, it was the original color, and looked appropriate. I've seen the same car painted in modern colors, and it just doesn't seem right, the colors are obviously not period appropriate, and it strikes a sour chord (for me).

@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Orange... hell yeah!

ohh, after paint, put it in a room with a heater & crank the heater for a fwe days, it will become nice & dry.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
My heart says Robins Egg Blue, but the scooter is screaming to stay orange.
I think it just wants to be be ridden.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Retroguy wrote:
My heart says Robins Egg Blue, but the scooter is screaming to stay orange.
I think it just wants to be be ridden.
Gotta make her presentable first
@manualshift avatar
UTC

Hooked
'79 P200E, 2013 Harley Davidson Forty-Eight

Hooked
@manualshift avatar
UTC quote
🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
I'm running on 1/2 cylinder. I hurt my back from an old meatcutting injury so just puttering around. I used JB weld putty. I filled each hole a little bit and let it harden to give it a little backing so I could work on it with the finished putty. I rolled the bar on a metal block to give it the right curve.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
More pics
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Frame sandblasted. I am just going to fiddle a bit for the next month . I probably won't get it painted until late January and rebuild in February. Oh wait it's only suppose to take about 6 hours to rebuild it. I better schedule a 8 hours just to give me some wiggle room
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
manualshift wrote:
🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊

So what's your opinion?
@blank avatar
UTC

Hooked
65 VNC Super, Series 1 50n (136), 50s, PX150, Douglas G, Ciao, Si, PX200E, PX vespacross project, Douglas Rod

Hooked
@blank avatar
65 VNC Super, Series 1 50n (136), 50s, PX150, Douglas G, Ciao, Si, PX200E, PX vespacross project, Douglas Rod
UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
manualshift wrote:

So what's your opinion?
Orange small frames look fantastic.
@manualshift avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@manualshift avatar
UTC quote
Hey RG, what happened to your P?
Did you sell it?
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
manualshift wrote:
Did you sell it?
He painted it orange
@manualshift avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@manualshift avatar
UTC quote
I hope he did!
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
I'll get some primer or some type of protector on the frame and other metal bits before flash rust sets in.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
Retroguy wrote:
I used JB weld putty. I filled each hole a little bit and let it harden to give it a little backing so I could work on it with the finished putty. I rolled the bar on a metal block to give it the right curve.
This filling holes with plastic will probably work, but why not have someone who knows how to weld aluminum weld them up. That would be the right way, wouldn't? I guess one positive aspect of filling with plastic is that if you ever choose to go back to the original equipment indicators (which should be there), it will be easy enough to drill or pop those plastic bits out.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
manualshift wrote:
Did you sell it?
Old news that most know. As much as I enjoyed doing the project, I really didn't like the size of the P. It was a little to much of a beast. I really just want a little scooter to tool around the area and fell in love with small frames. But I found the secret to making a killing on selling scooters. Get one that's in pretty good shape and restore it really nice, Then put in on Craigslist. The guy buying it will make a killing. That's the secret.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
OK Voodoo here's my update 😀 Not much progress this winter due to waiting for the painter. I meet with him this Friday. I am going to let him do the final sanding. I decided to wire before paint. I wanted to reduce the risk of scraping new paint while fiddling with getting the worse in, but it ended up being a piece of cake. I'll just tuck the worse in before painting. Big THANK YOU to MJRally who created a custom harness for me. We got rid of the battery and going with the 6 V Regulators. I also opted for no indicators. MJ created a very thin harness and it slid in very easily. I am a little worried that the time lapse will challenge my memory on the rebuild. I took a million pictures so I am hoping for the best.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Oranges...
must be Spring, you have come out of hybernation, i hear oranges are great that time of yeah
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
must be Spring, you have come out of hybernation, i hear oranges are great that time of yeah
Hey SEB

Yes they are but you know it's really spring when you see the Robins Eggs in the nests.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Never seen that before (no Robins here or in NZ)
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
I think I will go with orange but I would really like to see a live version of a color and not just a swatch. I do like Hemi Orange on the Challengers or the orange in the Cutlass Larry had up above might also be the same Hemi.
OP
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
I think I will go with orange but I would really like to see a live version of a color and not just a swatch. I do like Hemi Orange on the Challengers or the orange in the Car Larry posted up above -reposted on the bottom picture- might also be the same Hemi color.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I would really like to see a live version of a color and not just a swatch.

This color is pretty close & is an original Vespa color. Usually 1 or 2 kicks and it is live
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
Great colour choice.
Always add your own touch to paint... Gold Metallic/yellow pearl/red sparkle ...
Its fun to design your own colour, or take something to them in the colour you want, then the skill begins.
Also consider (if you want a real challenge) about black vs white primer/base, with yellow/red/orange as 'main colour' pigment, it can change how bold the final colour is... A bit like the difference in a strawberry blonde vs (orange based) redhead bold (red based) redhead
Plus consider green highlights... Well, it looks awesome on a redhead!
Something that only have... then its original not just a copy.
⚠️ Last edited by SubEtherBASS on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
[quote) As much as I enjoyed doing the project, I really didn't like the size of the P. It was a little to much of a beast. I really just want a little scooter to tool around the area and fell in love with small frames[/quote]

I hear you Retro. My first Vespa was a P200. Nice cruiser. But when I got the Super, I liked the way it handled. Just point and go. The P felt like a boat in comparison. Of course, looking back at it, the shocks were most likely worn out and I was too dumb to realize it.
As far as color goes - I don't think I have ever seen a smallframe that looked better than in orange. I saw a '74 Karmann Ghia yesterday with original orange paint and it looked fantastic. I had my last two Vespas done in red, but given the chance again, I'm going to go with this Volkswagen Orange color. Check it out, I think it would be perfect for that scooter. And good luck getting it back on the road.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2087s ][ Queries: 40 (0.1669s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]