@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I switched the Windshield on the Yager to a Puig sport shield, and you can see over it. It seems to have brought the top speed back up.

We just put the engine back into the GT218 with the new Malossi straight gears, yellow contra spring, and I took it for a ride. I forgot that I had taken the plate off the back, and on my test ride I hit a red light hard, and when I hit the painted line, the front tire broke loose then caught when it hit pavement again. I looked over to my left and a Police Officer was right next to me waiting for the light to make a left turn. He just kept going.

I haven't really gotten to try the straight cut primary yet, but it is a bit louder than the Polini helical, and a bit taller as well. The yellow contra spring seems to steady out the acceleration, but I'm not sure if the variator that I put in to go for my first ride, a CVT FR4, is affecting the straight line acceleration. I want to do a little more running and make sure switching the crankcase on the right side didn't cause any issues with how the bike works overall before putting a lot of new parts on it.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Things to avoid...
If you can avoid doing this, you will add to your overall Scooter Cannonball experience.

OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Get a GPS, install the routes, verify them and "follow the purple line"
Do that and you will be hard to beat on that high powered machine of yours.
I just ordered a waterproof GPS to find my way in the rain.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: Things to avoid...
Motovista wrote:
If you can avoid doing this, you will add to your overall Scooter Cannonball experience.

wow I didn't know you did this.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Do you mean get lost and wander around? Unfortunately, I've got a couple of versions of me doing just that.
I shot a bunch of Video, and haven't looked at it until now. As I edit them, I will put them on Youtube. Here's one of riding to the start in Hyder.

@bual avatar
UTC

P200e

@bual avatar
P200e
UTC quote
I was amazed at your ability to do Origami whilst riding!

Or perhaps, the "Hyderizing" hadn't worn off... 🙂
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Here's some more footage from the day we were in the snow in Canada.

OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I remember that pass. It was in a "Slow Down for Moose" zone with a slow speed limit. I thought it best to honor the local rules a little. I do remember passing you later in the day, something that will never happen this time with you on your speedy machine.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Motovista wrote:
I remember that pass. It was in a "Slow Down for Moose" zone with a slow speed limit. I thought it best to honor the local rules a little. I do remember passing you later in the day, something that will never happen this time with you on your speedy machine.
You beeped your horn. I've got that too, but haven't cut any more than what I did so far.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
Prep'ing Big Red
I usually wait until about 30 days before the start before I start going through Big Red. A broken head bolt (broke while riding) led to a early big inspection and the finding of some items that might have brought my SCB to a end. These are things you will not see normally. At 47,000 miles and as Capt Gary says "you treat it like a rented mule" I am not surprised that there were issues. Oh yea, and bears, don't forget the bears.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Re: Prep'ing Big Red
lostboater wrote:
I usually wait until about 30 days before the start before I start going through Big Red. A broken head bolt (broke while riding) led to a early big inspection and the finding of some items that might have brought my SCB to a end. These are things you will not see normally. At 47,000 miles and as Capt Gary says "you treat it like a rented mule" I am not surprised that there were issues. Oh yea, and bears, don't forget the bears.
If the bolt doesn't come out easily, I've got a head I took off a 300 that should fit right on. It's got less than 9K miles on it, and I'll trade it for some meals and drinks along the route.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
Re: Prep'ing Big Red
Motovista wrote:
lostboater wrote:
If the bolt doesn't come out easily, I've got a head I took off a 300 that should fit right on. It's got less than 9K miles on it, and I'll trade it for some meals and drinks along the route.
Thank you for a very kind offer George, but a used replacement head is already on. But I will buy you a drink on the road just for making the kind offer.

Oh yea, I forgot to say that all the work, well most of the work, is being done by Darren at vespaservicing.com in Bradenton.
@capt_gary avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa super,2016 vespa 3 00 1979 p200 with sidecar 1958 cu shman eagle with sidecar Inder trai ler 1983 bajaj tuk tuk tristar 2018 royal Enfi

Hooked
@capt_gary avatar
2010 Vespa super,2016 vespa 3 00 1979 p200 with sidecar 1958 cu shman eagle with sidecar Inder trai ler 1983 bajaj tuk tuk tristar 2018 royal Enfi
UTC quote
Free drinks
Just wanted to know if I am included in free drinks other than water.capt. Gary
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
Re: Free drinks
capt. gary wrote:
Under review by the Team Snail
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Re: Free drinks
capt. gary wrote:
I will gladly buy you a non water drink. George too. Go Team Snail!
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Two months until the start. ZOOM!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I found this on Etsy. I'm not sure what it is, or if it would come in handy on the Cannonball.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
FWIW, the list of riders and what they are riding is now up at http://www.scootercannonball.com/riders/index.php note that you can change rides all the way up to the starting line. I registered with the Scarabeo to preserve my option of taking it. Though if when the GTS gets out of the shop it is reliable again I may well take it instead. In which case I'd be riding a 2006 Vespa GTS which would put me on a competitive scooter though I can say with pretty much certainty that I won't win but I would like to better my position than my 2013 finish of 13th. Cracking the top 10 would be my goal.

If I end up taking the Scarabeo then I'd have to think of a different goal.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
I'm at 95% handicap. Nice! Absurd Ruse is at 84 with that wide body. I think his handicap advantage is going to tough to beat, but I have higher top speed and a ton more torque for the mountains.

The 2 strokes are gonna rock the CBR!
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
CANNONBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.teamscootertrash.com/follow-tst-.html
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
Just put 2000+ miles on as a test ride. Scooter worked well. There are a few issues but they will be addressed in the next couple of weeks.
Every Cannonball my wife designs a t-shirt just for me for the event. This year there are two t-shirts, one just for cheering crew and one for the riders.
She had the great reveal on the first one this past weekend. That fast part refers, yes, to my butt but also all the "scooter butts" she followed in the support van across Egypt. Many of you will get the "bear". Others will not but you can ask a friend.
She and The Big Fish design and printers do great work.
The team t-shirts will be revealed at the start.
yea..it does
yea..it does
each of these three t-shirts personalized tags
each of these three t-shirts personalized tags
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Five short weeks away.....
I have been getting parts for replacement now or as spares on the ride. George (Motovista) at ScooterPartsCo has become my parts dealer and offered a discount on parts for Cannonball participants. He came through this time very well, as is usual.

I will be posting the preparations and along the ride on my blog, Rocket and Me. So anyone wanting an inside look, feel free to give it a shot.
A new carburetor.  The OEM carburetor has a history of  dropping parts into the engine.  I truly don't want that in the middle of Nebraska.
A new carburetor. The OEM carburetor has a history of dropping parts into the engine. I truly don't want that in the middle of Nebraska.
Bendix for Vanessa, but it will be taking a long ride before installing it.  Just in case.
Bendix for Vanessa, but it will be taking a long ride before installing it. Just in case.
George had a run on Fuel Pumps.  Yanobobano ordered one as well.  Maybe we will have plenty of GT parts coming along.
George had a run on Fuel Pumps. Yanobobano ordered one as well. Maybe we will have plenty of GT parts coming along.
Variator and clutch nuts, along with drain plug o-rings.
Variator and clutch nuts, along with drain plug o-rings.
And you should never plan a long ride on a GT without a few of these exhaust gaskets.
And you should never plan a long ride on a GT without a few of these exhaust gaskets.
If I had brought one of these, and realized the one on Rocket was bad when the belt broke in Arkansas, I would have finished in 2014.
If I had brought one of these, and realized the one on Rocket was bad when the belt broke in Arkansas, I would have finished in 2014.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It's starting to sink in that it's only a month away and there's so many things I haven't even started yet. It's strange this time because I have a better idea of what to expect, so I'm over thinking a lot of things that were just "go for it," mode last time.
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160
UTC quote
Hi All,

This would have been my first cannonball but my work has officially extended my job and I can no longer join you on this epic journey. Big thanks to all who reached out to me privately and on the forums. I really value all of your advice as I was preparing. Eric showed me how to change a Belt. I've asked many of you questions and for advice. Vespa Sherman Oaks fixed 4 COOLANT LEAKS on the GT200 and got me road ready!! I've been buying tools and spare parts so that means I'll be that much closer to being ready to try again next year. Got my first Garmin GPS (since previously I've just been using my iphone for GPS). An airhawk just came in the mail for me and I was still deciding my essentials for the trip. Super bummed. Everyone have a great ride!

My work schedule does allow me to join a group motorcycle ride in July. So I will join riders for the last leg of the Sister's Centennial ride. http://sistersmotorcycleride.com/

It will be a shorter adventure for me since I'm joining them in Nevada and riding the last leg to SF and then back to LA. This will be on my Bonneville. So I have that to look forward to, but damn did I wish I could ride that Vespa GT200 with you all and get to know you in person each night at the motels. My best to you all. Cheers!

-Pam
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
I am sorry to see you drop out, Pam.

Out of 41 originally registered and the five or six already saying that they are not riding, I am thinking no more than 25 will actually be at the start.

I was a little surprised when only 27 or 28 out of more than 50 registered, made the start in Hyder in 2014, but that place was hard to get to.

This one is much easier, especially for me, but the commitment is huge, getting a scooter ready and the necessary support. That and the time off.

I remain committed as it was so much fun last time. I can't wait for the big ride to begin.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Ride Home
Well bang goes my ride from Seattle to LA.

Arse Biscuits.

So sorry Pam.

Can you wait until September ?

Bill xxx
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Swirly posted last night that five scooters were shipped from Seattle yesterday. It is all falling into place with exactly one month to go.
@vesfanatic avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 300 Super GTS

Hooked
@vesfanatic avatar
Vespa 300 Super GTS
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
3700 miles in late June. That likely means an overlap with Amerivespa, for better or worse - which is 6/23 - 6/26.

I'm thinking Cannonball is just a pipe dream for me. I love the idea and believe I can do it, but I gotta get to the starting line 1st - and that's the toughest part.

I'll be watching for further developments Popcorn emoticon
I am already thinking twice about riding my Lady in red from Kansas to Memphis this just approx 458 miles ( amerivespa) 3700 is alot of real estate to cover maybe in a cafe racer will be more ideal for me.lmo
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
UTC quote
Re: Ride Home
Bill Dog wrote:
Well bang goes my ride from Seattle to LA.

Arse Biscuits.

So sorry Pam.

Can you wait until September ?

Bill xxx
Thanks WLeuthold and Bill. Yeah, it's a bummer but it was fun getting ready for the journey. Next year, next year.

And yeah....September we'll have some laughs in person!
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Chuff
I can't laugh any more.

My life is nothing but abject misery.

Bill xxx
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
UTC quote
Squadra Lumaca (team snail) has been collaborating on everything for GPS's, (we found the latest ones are to sensitive to rain and the zomo's are painful to work), to tires, to special equipment. SCB #1 rider, Walt, called the other day and asked if I would ride with him to get a aluminum box built for the rear rack of his Tmax to carry a spare fuel can. We rode up to a warehouse in the Joe's Creek area of St. Pete. There was no sign or anything indicating what the business was and I was expecting a sheet metal shop.

Boy was I surprised. When they raised the door for us to ride in I was shocked. It is a custom muscle car shop. Not just some old car shop. They build MUSCLE cars from the ground up and they are amazing. The smallest engine in any of the cars 800 HP de-rated from 1000 HP. There is a old Willis jeep setting on a custom built frame with 1000 HP. There is a old Chevy truck with 800 HP. There is a 4 wheel drive, 1200 HP Camaro (under the brown cover). Lee, the owner, spent over an hour with us just telling us about the cars, the engines, and the owners. These things are amazing.

Lee and I tried to talk Walt into a custom tour tank to no avail.

Lee is very excited about the Scooter Cannonball and is threatening to build us a muscle scooter to compete with in 2018. He is already talking about building pistons and piston rods.

Ken
www.lostboater.com
"If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Gotta Be Tough!"

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
I finished putting Razzo, my dead stock 2005 Vespa GT, back together after a carburetor change and took it for a test ride to see if the speed remained. Hit 80 on the GPS going west, then 81 coming back home. No wind assist, no real hills but some drafting. It looks like it will be my Cannonball bike.
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
I have changed my mind. It is going to be Vanessa, my 2007 GT running in the Scooter Cannonball Run this year.

I took her out for a test run yesterday, 260 miles from home to the Cannonball start at the beachfront parking lot in Fernandina Beach to the first checkpoint 19 miles north of Blackshear, Georgia. She struggled getting much speed in the wind, but hit a real 80 mph returning home on I-95. A new belt usually adds a couple of mph, so she should be good to go.
At Checkpoint 1
At Checkpoint 1
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
lostboater wrote:
the zomo's are painful to work
How is it to painful to work. I have a Zumo 550 and don't understand this comment at all. They are as easy as any other Germin to operate which is pretty easy.
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Preparations almost completed
I have been getting my 2007 GT ready for the Cannonball.
I call this one Vanessa. She came to me, literally, by accident.
It was not my first choice, but has been very sweet lately, so I decided to give up one point of handicap for a fresher engine.

Over the past week I have changed oil, tires, belt, rollers, glides, exhaust gasket and bendix.
Then I hard wired the new Garmin Zumo to make sure that I can continue to be guided in the rain.

I have posted daily routes too.

Just waiting for the start now.

I have posted photos and descriptions on my blog, Rocket & Me.

Anyone interested can fine it at http://billleuthold.blogspot.com/
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
lostboater wrote:
How is it to painful to work. I have a Zumo 550 and don't understand this comment at all. They are as easy as any other Germin to operate which is pretty easy.
+1 for the Zumo being painful.

I used a Garmin 376c on Cannonballs 2010, 12, & 14 but I can no longer update the maps so had to "upgrade" for 16. So I bought this Zumo 660 (https://amzn.com/B008M59RUO) and so I think I'd be better off with a paper map! I now understand how/why people get lost on Cannonballs using these stupid things. It seems to really go down the tubes when following a preplanned route and you miss a simple turn. Sometimes its like "ohh well, f*ck it... can't find any way to get you back on track, have a nice life".

So.... I am actually headed to storage to find the 376c and use it with 2014 maps along side the Zumo!

This Zumo is headed to the "free cycle" thread after the Cannonball... if not sooner!
OP
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
feb31st wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
lostboater wrote:
+1 for the Zumo being painful.

I used a Garmin 376c on Cannonballs 2010, 12, & 14 but I can no longer update the maps so had to "upgrade" for 16. So I bought this Zumo 660 (https://amzn.com/B008M59RUO) and so I think I'd be better off with a paper map! I now understand how/why people get lost on Cannonballs using these stupid things. It seems to really go down the tubes when following a preplanned route and you miss a simple turn. Sometimes its like "ohh well, f*ck it... can't find any way to get you back on track, have a nice life".

So.... I am actually headed to storage to find the 376c and use it with 2014 maps along side the Zumo!

This Zumo is headed to the "free cycle" thread after the Cannonball... if not sooner!
I bought a Zumo 660, that I have loaded with maps and occasionally appears to be something helpful. But I reopen a map and it has changed back to an earlier version. Then some days disappear. My three year old Nuvi 3490 is so much more user friendly.

I think that the problem is that the 660 is old technology. The newer versions should offer the same usability as my 3490.

My solution is to use both. Should one go haywire, I will continue on using the other.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
feb31st wrote:

My iPhone with the one of the apps - not decided if I'll use the Garmin, MapQuest or MotionX Drive is my back-up to the Zumo 660. How I'll decide which to follow when they invariably differ I don't know yet. I chose the wrong one when there was a conflict in Kansas ending up going and extra 15 miles in that nasty wind. Despite the slightly longer route in Arkansas I'm happy I chose the one I did that time. The road was beautiful, winding through the forest and virtually empty. So while it may have cost me 5 minutes I didn't care.

Zumo 660 is loaded with the checkpoints but I'm not sure how well I think it will plot.
@bual avatar
UTC

P200e

@bual avatar
P200e
UTC quote
My Zumo 665 would crash twice a day just to add an extra challenge.
My first unit "bricked" and had to get a new one under warranty (took months).

Here's a photo of where the Zumo 665 Sent me on my CB 2014 programmed "route".
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
I really wish I knew all this before I got my Zumo 660...
Feeling your pain.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.3117s ][ Queries: 44 (0.2116s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]