Why would you want to remove the evap system?.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
Severl Scooters
Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:02 pm quote
Scooter West wrote:
The Evap cannister takes up a lot of storage room on the BV350 and a lot of customers remove it to free up extra space in their underseat storage area. Same with the new Primavera and Sprint.
Can you guys do a video of how you deleted the evap system?
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350, Yamaha C3
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:50 pm quote
I know this is a fairly old thread, but I wanted to clarify a few things. I'm a couple of weeks away from tearing into my BV200 for routine maintenance and figured I'd finally get around to removing the evap system entirely. I've had it disconnected at the carb for years to great effect but since I'm going to have the panels off, I thought I may as well check and re-route some lines. Here's the points I need confirmed:

1. Carb inlet disconnected (should be filtered for safety)

2. Over-fill tube (from tank) cut before the rollover valve and re-routed to ground.

3. Hose returning to the manifold cut and plugged.

Thanks for the help.

TJH
Addicted
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:16 pm quote
Look in the wiki section for the info on de-evap on the lx150. Or Mitch's YouTube video on the fly 150. Both are real similar. You'll need a 1/4" vacuum cap, and 1/4" butt connector. Might want to go one step further and block off the SAS while you're in there. Made my GT200 idle much smoother, and eliminated the baby backfires.
Enthusiast
2008 Vespa LX50/2010 GTS300
Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:26 pm quote
This is a long thread so this has probably already said.....but having had a recent crash, my LX150 was disabled because of the tipover. Besides being hurt, I had to push the scoot about 2 miles home since of course, it would not stay running.

No-brainer....evap system removed! This won't happen again!
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:53 pm quote
Thread Revival: Melody Makes a "Moo"
Ah, what fun: Melody went in last Tuesday for her 15k (nee 16k) service, which in addition to the usual stuff included brake-pad replacement. Got her back early Thursday morning. Friday had me riding her into Gotham for a tech gig. About a third of the way up the Garden State Parkway there's a section where I typically roll on the throttle to carry me up an incline to help me keep up with traffic, but this time, as I ran the bike up to 75, it begins to gradually lose speed, to the point where I decide it prudent to pull over. Shut off engine, wait one minute, then restart and attempt to rejoin traffic. For a moment it won't go past 45-50mph, then gradually finds its legs and gets back to a normal top speed. This was around 11:30 in the morning on a not-particularly-hot day. The trip back later in the evening was uneventful. Fluke?

Saturday has me taking the same trip at roughly the same time, with two gigs on the schedule. Left home with a full tank as-per-uaual, stormed the onramp to the Parkway quite nicely, and have a peppy run…until I reach roughly the same stretch of Parkway as the morning before, with the same malady. I'm having a genuine Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot moment: is this some kind of bizarre highway curse? Right after having her serviced?

But this time, things get weirder: after finishing gig #1 (Brooklyn Heights), I saddle up for a run to Ft. Hamilton for gig #2. Los Googles is telling me the BQE is the ticket to get there fastest, in spite of my lack of love for that strip of urban highway. I make my approach, but just I come to a stoplight before hitting the onramp, Melody'd engine dies. I punch the Start button, engine starts up very roughly, then sputters and dies again.

Uh-oh.

Amid numerous confused and annoyed drivers, I put the bike down completely, paddle the bike as close to the guardrail as I can (no shoulder, because of course), then desperately try and this time succeed in restarting. I text client #2 that I'll be late, since I'm taking no chances and sticking ro riding the streets in case I get stranded again. Now I'm pretty spooked.

I wrap up Gig #2 just before 7PM, with dusk approaching. Client (also a good friend) asked if I think I'll be okay for the 45-mile ride home. I grin wanly and say "I hope so." Pack my gear in the pet-carrier, check Google for and traffic issues enroute (she says take the Goethals Bride to the Turnpike; I cheerfully ignore this and take the Outerbridge as I usually do). Like the day before, the return trip is hiccup-free, and I speed along, occasionally bouncing off the limiter a bit past 80mph, even though I was telling myself to take it easy this time.

I pull into the driveway, relieved that nothing untoward happened. But as I was unpacking the bike, I heard the sound that clinched everything. Correction: make that sounds, because Melody proceeded to moo/belch/fart for what seemed like two minutes. Yep…has to be the evap system acting up. But it hasn't done any of this stuff up till now, although as I've mentioned in other threads I've had my share of dodgy gas pumps overfilling the tank.

Yesterday morning, to confirm all this, walk out to the bike, pop open the seat, and unscrew the gas cap. Yes, indeed: there was a noticeable whoosh as the seal was broken. Lovely. How do I del with this.

Ride out for an errand, and drop by the dealer enroute: they concur that the evap has sort of pooped its trousers, and that I should do the recommended stuff to deal with it. Of course, there are several routes to remedying this from checking for any kinks or clogs to ripping out the whole apparatus. I'm mulling this over as I type this. Advice cheerfully accepted.

Last edited by amateriat on Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:43 pm quote
Re: Thread Revival: Melody Makes a "Moo"
amateriat wrote:
...Advice cheerfully accepted.[/i]
Sorry, I can't help.
We don't have that extraneous appendage on our bikes here...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:10 am quote
Considering how easy it is to overfill the tank and the EVAP system getting all messed up I would say just trash it.
Enthusiast
1987 Honda Helix
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:54 am quote
The canister needs to vent from the bottom, not the top. That way any liquid will drain and only fumes will go to the motor. I tried to invert it on my Fly but I could not fit it easily. Most cars vent their canisters from the bottom, or at least they used to.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:29 am quote
I agree with Max. Just remove the whole system. It is poorly designed. On my 250 it wasn't the canister but the rollover valve sticking that cause an identical issue. I just took everything out. There are a few articles in the wiki that describe how to do it.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:26 pm quote
FYI, there are currently no US states that inspect motorcycles for smog checks and/or that they have the required Evap Crap after the vehicle has already been sold. I believe that the state of Arizona did have a smog check for motorcycles for a short period, but since there was a 99.9% compliance rate they determined it was a waste of time and stopped the checks after about a year or year and a half. California never had a required smog check inspection for motorcycles which would include checking for said Evap Crap.

Almost half of the states have adopted California's more stringent pollution rules requiring said Evap Crap, so it isn't just California anymore. The Feds are currently fighting with California in the courts to take away their ability to set their own standards and instead have one national standard. This is unlikely to get resolved anytime soon though.

I would suggest that you do not throw your Evap Crap in the trash since you never know if at some point in the future your state might start requiring an inspection for it. It would be very expensive to order replacement parts to pass an inspection assuming that they were still available from Piaggio. Put it in a box in your garage, label it, and hope that the zombie apocalypse inspection never comes. And throw it under your seat if you sell your scooter so that the new owner can save it in his garage, hopefully never to be used again.
Hooked
Primavera 150
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:32 pm quote
bean counter wrote:
I would suggest that you do not throw your Evap Crap in the trash since you never know if at some point in the future your state might start requiring an inspection for it. It would be very expensive to order replacement parts to pass an inspection assuming that they were still available from Piaggio. Put it in a box in your garage, label it, and hope that the zombie apocalypse inspection never comes. And throw it under your seat if you sell your scooter so that the new owner can save it in his garage, hopefully never to be used again.
That's not how it works. If they passed a law, it would not be retroactive. It would only apply to new sales and the life of the new vehicle.
Hooked
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:53 pm quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
That's not how it works. If they passed a law, it would not be retroactive. It would only apply to new sales and the life of the new vehicle.
Not exactly because this is the original equipment. And thus was no doubt required for sale in the USA to have EPA compliance.

My both of my older Fiats (only one is a CA car) required the original evap system to be installed properly on the car to receive a current CA registration. Even though it runs better without it. And was actually a big pain to retrofit on the one without it setup.

So it's really best not to toss it out.
Hooked
Primavera 150
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:13 am quote
bosco12 wrote:
My both of my older Fiats (only one is a CA car) required the original evap system to be installed properly on the car to receive a current CA registration. Even though it runs better without it. And was actually a big pain to retrofit on the one without it setup.
That's because the law was in place when the vehicles were built (new).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:46 am quote
Removed on my PM3 500 and BV350. Once warranty is gone might do the 2020 Sei Giorni. Still not sure that one can be done because it does get a check engine light when overfilled so, might be more sophisticated system that the ECU will set an error coded

Anyone removed evap on a 2020 HPE?
Hooked
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:29 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Anyone removed evap on a 2020 HPE?
There shouldn't be any need to do that. I've never had any problem that would cause this to be considered.

While the tank can be easy to over fill, doing so has never caused me any issues.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:48 pm quote
bosco12 wrote:
There shouldn't be any need to do that. I've never had any problem that would cause this to be considered.
Exactly. Why try to fix a problem you don't have?
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:45 pm quote
What I'm Doing For Now
I'm ordering a replacement Canister to replace the original one on Melody. If that does the trick, I'll see what I do next time this happens. My near-term solution is to keep the gas-cap screwed on just tight enough to stay put, but loose enough to let a bit of air pass in lieu of a fully-functional evap system. Only costs about sixty bucks and a bit of elbow-grease, so why not?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:57 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
bosco12 wrote:
Exactly. Why try to fix a problem you don't have?
Over filling the fuel tank enough times in any vehicle can cause an issue with the EVAP system. (filling the evap canister with liquid gas) So it is not an uncommon job to have to replace the EVAP Canister.
In a car you can because it is an monitored system that will set a code.
If you have an issue it is better to remove than replace the canister if you can.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:07 pm quote
Re: What I'm Doing For Now
amateriat wrote:
My near-term solution is to keep the gas-cap screwed on just tight enough to stay put, but loose enough to let a bit of air pass in lieu of a fully-functional evap system.
Then don't fill the tank full. You don't want gas splashing into the pet carrier
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2240s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0516s) ][ Debug on ]