2007 LX 125 - Replacing Intake Manifold
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
GTS300
Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:45 am quote
Ciao!
I went to replace my intake manifold and noticed that I was given a manifold with 2 vacuum ports when on my Vespa there is only 1 vacuum port!
I just came back from the dealer and at the spare counter they had no clue how that would be possible... However on their website there are both options... So I went for the one with only 1 vacuum port...
I will keep you posted.
Has anyone had this problem before? I thought it was good to raise awareness.
The part numbers are:
PIAGGIO 849465 2 vacum port
PIAGGIO 871973 1 vacum port

The photos are from the top to bottom:
- what is currently installed on my Vespa
- what I was given yesterday (2 port manifold)
- the one I picked this morning

Your thoughts?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by LoreT38 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
09 190s taormina
Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:53 pm quote
Yeah, actually 4 different part numbers on that boot that will fit if you go all the way back to Leader ET4.

My approach is to research part numbers and prices using the online catalogs then verify when necessary/possible by plugging part number into google and searching images. A lot of supersession/interchangeability between years and models.

What I've also often found is that functionally identical parts from different years can vary widely in price.
GTS300
Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:57 am quote
I will try tomorrow when I get hold of a security torx bit.
in fact there is the security pin in the middle of the screw and I cannot undo that with the current screwdriver I got.

Being a security feature, do you know if the thread direction is the same as normal screws or inverted?
Ossessionato
09 190s taormina
Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:23 pm quote
Do you have regular torx? Just use a screwdriver or punch to break off the security pin. Normal "right-hand" threads.
GTS300
Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:46 pm quote
Done, it is a 5minute job... Until bad luck gets you!
Basically I was tightening one of the two screws, but it didn't go down all the way for some reason...That side was quite hard to undo when I dismantled the manifold.
When refitting the manifold I carefully loosen that screw a bit and tried again, but no success... I thought about swapping the screw from the other side and the new gasket just slid towards the back of the Vespa... Between the cooling shroud and the cylinder, being the cylinder at an angle..
I hope I have used the correct terminology and that you get it!
If not please advice!
Anyway the job itself is relatively simple.
After removing the screws and loosening the jubilee clamp from the carburettor I had the old manifold out!

image.jpeg

Last edited by LoreT38 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTS300
Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:49 pm quote
Here the old gasket stayed in place after removing the manifold. Quite easy to remove with my fingers...

image.jpeg

GTS300
Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:57 pm quote
New gasket in place along with the clamp ...
Bollt on and tighten the clamp and job done!
Don't do like me, I had to use the old gasket after the little disaster...
I will get a new one at some point, along with sorting the screw all the way in...one screw head is not flush to the gasket and it was very tight on that side when I removed the old manifold, so i decided not to insist to avoid stripping the tread on the head.

I was positively surprised since it is running better than with the cracked manifold despite one screw not really tightened!

Vespa are known -at least in Italy- to always run in whatever condition... It is in their DNA!

image.jpg

GTS300
Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:58 pm quote
I think this is the right way for the gasket ! 😬

image.jpg

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:52 pm quote
LoreT38 wrote:
along with sorting the screw all the way in...one screw head is not flush to the gasket and it was very tight on that side when I removed the old manifold, so i decided not to insist to avoid stripping the tread on the head.
Can you run a tap down the tight hole to clean anything out of the thread?
Banned
2001 Vespa ET4 125cc leader .
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:20 pm quote
pigletpilot wrote:
LoreT38 wrote:
along with sorting the screw all the way in...one screw head is not flush to the gasket and it was very tight on that side when I removed the old manifold, so i decided not to insist to avoid stripping the tread on the head.
Can you run a tap down the tight hole to clean anything out of the thread?
Hi what size is the torqx bit ? need to buy one asap cheers .
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1593s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0322s) ][ Debug on ]