Rim Job Part Trois
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:13 pm quote
Greetings:

I received a nice rear rim for Punkin - Thanks Orange!

I didn't need to do much to prep it, and had to use a Light Touch with my random orbital sander and 120 paper to smooth out a few nicks.

The HF wheel balancer I'd used was put away in the attic, and I thought of a less troublesome way to set the rim up for painting. Did it all in the yard, away from the house in case of wind-driven overspray.

I ran out of the black paint I'd used on 2 previous "painting" efforts, and sought something faster-drying and glossier. Found Rustoleum Lacquer and it worked well. I didn't put any special effort to covering the rim edge, as it's going to be sprayed Taormina Orange anyway. The center portion and spokes turned out much better than expected.

Once the Black is dry, the center portion must be masked to color-match the rim edges. Found a plate that fit the 9.375" needed to mask the middle. The critical step is getting the masking tape perfectly aligned with the "Step" where the bead sits. Once that is done, the cone and disk are taped on to mask the center. I pre-slit the centers to push the steel rod through.

Next I'll go back to the steel rod and sawhorses and spray the orange rim edges, followed by clear-coat. Wish me luck that I don't scratch the rim mounting the new City Grip!

Rim3Prep.jpg

Rim3PaintSetup.jpg

Rim3Lacquer.jpg

Rim3Mask.jpg

Addicted
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:16 am quote
The Next Day
Greetings:

Here as promised are pics of the prep for color-matching the rim edges. The rim edge tape is the fussy part. The line you create with tape will be the paint edge, and it has to be perfect. Fortunately there is a clearly defined shoulder to follow.

Mask the backside first, because the center hub protrudes a little proud of the rim edges and working on a wobbling wheel increases the challenge.

With both sides masked, the axle rod goes back in and out we go to the paint stands. Touch-up Direct matches paints pretty accurately.

Rim3EdgeTaping.jpg

Rim3FrontCenterMask.jpg

Rim3OrangePnt.jpg

Rim3BackCenterMask.jpg

Addicted
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:34 am quote
Orange Paint Applied
Greetings:

Now the rim edges are Taormina Orange. Looking pretty good so far. No drips or other disasters. 3 coats of clear to be applied.

Rim3OrangeRim.jpg

Addicted
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:50 pm quote
Denouement
Greetings:

I'm not sure why I continue to delude myself that I can paint. I don't have the means to make a proper booth, so have to settle for painting outside in far from good conditions.

Anyway here it is with all its imperfections. Still looks a good bit better than it did, and will be concealed mostly by CVT case on the left and exhaust on the right. And it Matches the front.

Just remember to remain 2 Metres away from the scooter at all times. It's Vespa Distancing.

Rim3Finished.jpg

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:30 pm quote
Looking good!
Addicted
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:21 pm quote
Rim Job Complete
Greetings:

So here are the pics of the final outcome. I like that everything on the scooter is Orange, Black, or chrome. (Pay no attention to the clashing RED damper springs...) The silver rims are nice enough, but I'm diggin' the O-Range now. Plus Ms. Wheel-Person is satisfied that everything "matches". Who knew this was important?

PunkinRimmed2020.jpg

PunkinRimmedL2020.jpg

Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:28 am quote
Excellent Results!!!
Addicted
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:33 pm quote
Greetings:

Thanks, Carl! I find I enjoy riding Punkin more - just 'cause it looks cool, I guess, when I get off and glance back. This even though the 78cc S can't quite keep up with the stock 150 on acceleration. It is close on top speed but the Grunt isn't quite there.

Next month I plan to pull the Leader engine out of the ET4 and install the Malossi 187 cylinder kit, Sito pipe and Polini primary gears. I'll post when I pull the trigger on the parts order.

I have my pick of the 3 scooters for a while; Ms. Wheelperson just had hip surgery on the 14th and won't be scootin' with me for a bit. She loves the Orange.

PunkinFlashRr.jpg

Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:21 am quote
Leader Upgrades
I did similar upgrades to the Leader 150 in my Fly 150. Malossi 187, Polini 15/42 upgear, and GPR Vintology exhaust.

It worked well and got me up to 78 MPH. The big power constraint on the Leader 150 is the 2 valve head. To truly maximize power, you'll need a performance camshaft. Vespa Soho had a run of hot cams made, but they are very rare to find.

This thread discusses most of the aspects of tuning the Leader 150. But don't forget about the transmission side as well. Lighter weights should be used to take better advantage of the improved midrange power.

ET4-LX 150 Leader engine:Stage 2 tuning
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.2406s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0408s) ][ Debug on ]