Need help opening trunk or seat!
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
mp3 400lt
Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:30 am quote
Hi,

long story short: i've ran out of battery, removed it to charge it and the seat closed. Now i have a charged battery outside of the bike and can't open the seat or the trunk (pet carrier?)!

After reading your posts about the cable i needed to pull i tried and the cable became loose (see attached photo)!!!

Is there any other way? It's a Piaggio mp3 400 LT.
Please send private message of you don't want to share this information publicly!

The key method doesn't work and in the tank cover there is no button or cable that allows me to open any of the storage compartments.

Thank's

IMG_0166.JPG

mp3 400lt
Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:53 pm quote
Any expert that can give me some clue? Thanks
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:35 pm quote
Is the cable that came loose you showed in the picture the cable for the trunk lid or the cable for the seat?

I must assume that it's the cable for the seat as you tried to open it from behind through the open trunk lid. If that's correct, even if the cable came loose, you should still be able to just yank the metal tab (where the cable was attached to) to the left to unlatch the rear seat.
mp3 400lt
Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:43 pm quote
I think it's for the trunk.

I can't open the seat or the trunk (pet carrier).

Please advise on how to do it knowing that:
- can't pull the cable since it's loose
-cant use the key to open

Thank's in advance.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:13 pm quote
Is that cable for the trunk in your picture the end up front near where the ignition key slot is? Or is it the end in the back where the trunk latch is?

If the later, how did you even manage to yank it out like that? I assume you must have traced it from underneath on the left side, and you must have yanked it too hard.

In the same manner, if you trace the cable to the seat (not the one to the trunk) from underneath on the left side and yank that one, it should pop the seat up. Don't yank it too hard, but just a firm tug would do. I think both cables (to the seat and to the trunk) run along in the same general area.

I never tried to yank the cable to the trunk's latch. I only tried to yank the one to the seat. I've successfully popped it open several times. This was when I originally got my MP3 400 and only had 1 blue key with no brown key. So I was afraid to death of locking this blue key out in the seat. So the first thing I did was read up on this forum for tip on how to unlock the seat manually without a key.

There was no tip on this forum about yanking the trunk's latch open. There was only instruction about yanking the seat's latch open. There's probably a reason for that, and you've found out that reason (that it doesn't work on the trunk and you picked the wrong cable to yank).
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:01 am quote
i've heard you can remove the rear plastic cover below the trunk door (2 screws) and then can access the rear trunk door latch (where that cable came off). then you can push on the latch and open the rear trunk and then reach in and open the seat latch.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:59 pm quote
Eakins wrote:
i've heard you can remove the rear plastic cover below the trunk door (2 screws) and then can access the rear trunk door latch (where that cable came off). then you can push on the latch and open the rear trunk and then reach in and open the seat latch.
Unfortunately there are actually 2 screws holding the top of the rear plastic cover below the trunk from the top, and they are covered up by the trunk door. So you cannot take the rear plastic below the trunk door off without the trunk door already opened.

I know because I've taken this cover on and off more times than I care to count when I was tinkering with my flashing brake light mod and my Givi topcase brake light installation.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:02 am quote
Still very confused about the situation.

1) Why couldn't the OP simply have used the key in the ignition and just push it in and turn counterclockwise to manually open the trunk? You don't need a battery connected to open this way. It's just a mechanical release via a cable. It wouldn't be necessary to yank any cable underneath the plastic by hand at all.

2) I wonder from which angle the OP took that picture of the trunk cable that came loose. Is that from the ground up underneath the scooter?
MP3 500ie
Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:24 am quote
It looks like the parking brake cable.

There is two cables running to the seat release. Once is remote electric activated, the other Push key down and turn activated. The second doesn't require battery power.
It not exactly a secret the manual describes the operation.

If I overlooked something and have to have battery power. Seeing the battery is disconnected don't use a charger for an external power source. The Battery charger will produce higher voltage if it isn't loaded by the battery.
Use a Battery as the power source.
Open the fuse panel by the right foot area on the knee guard fairing. Pull one of the fuses and insert a Paperclip in its place. Connect a wire to the paperclip and other end to the + side of the Battery.
Attach another wire to a bare metal part of the bike. The front suspension has good spot to connect. Connect to the negative side of the battery.
Turn the key on and try to remotely open the trunk.
Lurker
Piaggio mp3 500 sport 2013
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:13 am quote
Hi my battery gone flat on my piaggio mp3 500 2013, Iíve locked the boot by mistake how do I get back into it so I can get battery out to charge it please
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:00 am quote
The previous post in this thread describes how you can feed power back through the fuse panel to use the electric latch. If there's a 12 V accessory socket that's accessible you can feed back an external battery through that, too. Just be careful about the polarity with any method you use!!!

The accessory socket worked with my BV350 when the mechanical latch cable froze.

Good luck!
2019 Spring Gathering - May 16 - 19, Location TBD (Likely Maggie Valley, NC)   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2717s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0312s) ][ Debug on ]