OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 500 abs

Lurker
Piaggio MP3 500 abs
UTC quote
Dear All 3 wheelers

my Piagio mp3 500 abs 2014 edition - is 16 months old with approx 15,000km on the clock. its got heated grip installed by main dealer and i commute approx 30 miles a day 4/5 times a week.

Has any one experienced the Acceleration cable problems? Snapping?

The main dealer i am using is claiming that they have tried to claim it under warranty from Piaggio three times but Piaggio has deemed it as normal Ware and Tear and not covering the cost! The Main dealer has claimed that it is a 4 hour job to replace, but out of courtesy they will charge only for 2 hours, which means including cable parts and sundaries a total charge of £200

Does any one know if Piaggio covers accelerator under warranty and if my main dealer is over charging????

Many thanks
Dan
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
There is a known weakness which causes early throttle cable failure. This is where the cable passes through a steel elbow near the engine end. The cable is assembled dry and in damp climates corrosion sets in probably partly due to differential electrical effects. This has been reported on the forums more than once. Unfortunately it is not easy to get lubricant to this part of the cable but if the small rubber seal at the engine end is slid out of the way oil can be persuaded to work through. On my second MP3 I did this and the cable lasted without any trouble for three years.

I replaced the first cable myself and it is a fiddly job. I avoided having to completely strip the front panels by using the old cable to pull the new one through the headstock and down to the centre tunnel.

You might have a case for a warrantee claim if you have the broken cable and can show that it failed due to corrosion ( which by definition is not wear and tear).

Assuming 2 hours labour is £100 I'm not sure where the other £100 comes from but maybe I'm just not up to date on rates.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
The new model has drive by wire so it has a short cable from the handlebar to the throttle sensor no need to get the bike naked like before the new throttle cables are also less expensive older cable set is 80,- euro new is about 20.-
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
Thanks for that info, Maksor-great news for buyers of newer MP3s (assuming the drive-by-wire system doesn't turn out to be problematic).

As for a cable needing to be replaced at only 9,000 miles due to "wear," that's just shameful. If every prospective MP3 buyer thought they would routinely need to do a costly throttle-cable replacement every 9,000 miles, Piaggio would never sell another one.

We have great bikes from a terrible company.

BTW I replaced my (old style) cables at 40,000 miles because they're pretty much ungreasable. Turns out the old ones were perfectly fine.
UTC

Hooked
2008 fuoco

Hooked
2008 fuoco
UTC quote
I'm suprised there not nylon lined ! as these don't need lubrication. My Guzzi cables where they go through the angled steel throttle cable fitting have a nylon liner.
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
3legsofman wrote:
I'm suprised there not nylon lined ! as these don't need lubrication. My Guzzi cables where they go through the angled steel throttle cable fitting have a nylon liner.
They may well be nylon lined but this doesn't prevent corrosion and once that has created imperfections in the strands they are very susceptible to fatigue failure where there is a sharp bend. So lubrication prevents corrosion and early failure. In any case these nylon like( or similar ) materials do not always maintain low friction once they are scuffed and can then wear quite quickly. I don't know if the elbows are lined but maybe if they are not you might have put your finger on why the failure is premature.
UTC

Hooked
2008 fuoco

Hooked
2008 fuoco
UTC quote
If the elbows are not lined that will be the cause of failure. Steel to steel and no lube is a no no.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0517s ][ Queries: 10 (0.0214s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]