@championstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P125X

Hooked
@championstuff avatar
1979 P125X
UTC quote
So, earlier in the week I got myself a 79 P125X that I had been drooling over for three weeks. I was out of town for work and had to roll over my old 401k so I used some of it to buy my bike.

It had quite a bit of what I would consider to be problems, but they all turned out to be really easy to take care of. I thought the wiring was toast, turned out that pretty much all the lights ran off the battery. Since it was kick start I never knew that the battery was dead and just figured everything was broken.

So, I went to Vespa of Seattle and bought a new battery, put it in and voila! Lights worked.

Except for the rear turn signals. Wiring looks good, bulbs are good, so now I think that the connector spots need to be looked at. Only thing, I don't know what exactly to look for. I know that the contacts are on the pins on the side engine and batter/spare tire cover, however, from there I don't know what they are supposed to be touching to cause contact for the lights. I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything.

Any help will do. Until I get them fixed I just do hand signals.
⚠️ Last edited by Championstuff on UTC; edited 2 times
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
The cowl latch and cowl pins are the contacts for the rear turn signals. If you take off the cowl look for little brass contacts in the pin and where the latch hooks the front of the cowl. Make sure those are clean and see if you get anything.

If those are good, unscrew the lens off the rear light, unbolt the lamp assembly from the cowl and you'll see the wire that goes into the lamp and the ground strap that makes contact with metal. Make sure those are good.

If nothing after all that, get a multimeter and start tracing wires back from the cowl pin to the junction box under the horncast.
OP
@championstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P125X

Hooked
@championstuff avatar
1979 P125X
UTC quote
Many Thanks! I'll check em out and see what happens. The scooter sat for about a year before I bought it and the owner said all of the stuff worked, it's just a matter of getting the bugs out I think.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E
UTC quote
Congrats !
79 would be a p125x not px125.
Try a new flasher unit
OP
@championstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P125X

Hooked
@championstuff avatar
1979 P125X
UTC quote
almogavar1969 wrote:
Congrats !
79 would be a p125x not px125.
Try a new flasher unit
thanks, i will fix it on my profile
OP
@championstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P125X

Hooked
@championstuff avatar
1979 P125X
UTC quote
Still haven't figured it out, will probably buy a new flasher unit.
OP
@championstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P125X

Hooked
@championstuff avatar
1979 P125X
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
If those are good, unscrew the lens off the rear light, unbolt the lamp assembly from the cowl and you'll see the wire that goes into the lamp and the ground strap that makes contact with metal. Make sure those are good.

If nothing after all that, get a multimeter and start tracing wires back from the cowl pin to the junction box under the horncast.
I'll probably open it up tomorrow and take a look at it.
⬆️    About 7 months elapsed    ⬇️
@67gt125 avatar
UTC

Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin

Addicted
@67gt125 avatar
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
UTC quote
You can try out the flasher from my P200. If it works, there's your problem.
OP
@championstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P125X

Hooked
@championstuff avatar
1979 P125X
UTC quote
67GT125 wrote:
You can try out the flasher from my P200. If it works, there's your problem.
i hadnt thought about trying that
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
@scoot78 avatar
UTC

1978 P125X

@scoot78 avatar
1978 P125X
UTC quote
Hi. I have a similar question about my turn signals. It's a 78' P125X. When I put the turn signals on left, both front and rear work. When I put it on right, only the front blinks.

I've sanded down the contacts on the right rear cowl and nothing.

I used an electrical tester with both cowls off and when I put it in where the contacts go in to body of scooter, only when I put the left signal indicator on does the tester blink. Tester does not blink when I put tester in right hole.

Tester blinks when I put both right and left on and test the box under the Could it be a loose wire? I'll have to remove tank but what am I looking for? Thanks
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
Scoot78 wrote:
Hi. I have a similar question about my turn signals. It's a 78' P125X. When I put the turn signals on left, both front and rear work. When I put it on right, only the front blinks.

I used an electrical tester with both cowls off and when I put it in where the contacts go in to body of scooter, only when I put the left signal indicator on does the tester blink. Tester does not blink when I put tester in right hole.

Tester blinks when I put both right and left on and test the box under the Could it be a loose wire? I'll have to remove tank but what am I looking for? Thanks
Once you lift the tank look at the wire going to the that hole. It should be connected to a plastic cylinder going through that hole and make sure they are connected. If needed, remove the wire from that connection and test. Also make sure the ground is connected to the rod and spring that holds the cowls on. It is near that hole that has the blinker connection. Clean the ground and reconnect if needed.

Good luck!
@scoot78 avatar
UTC

1978 P125X

@scoot78 avatar
1978 P125X
UTC quote
rowdyc wrote:
Scoot78 wrote:

Once you lift the tank look at the wire going to the that hole. It should be connected to a plastic cylinder going through that hole and make sure they are connected. If needed, remove the wire from that connection and test. Also make sure the ground is connected to the rod and spring that holds the cowls on. It is near that hole that has the blinker connection. Clean the ground and reconnect if needed.

Good luck!
Thanks. I lifted tank. I noticed there was a blue wire not hooked up. I touched the rod and spring and it sparked for a sec. Then everything went off. I fried something. I'm assuming the relay??
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@scoot78 avatar
UTC

1978 P125X

@scoot78 avatar
1978 P125X
UTC quote
rowdyc wrote:
Scoot78 wrote:

Good luck!
Thanks. I lifted tank. I noticed there was a blue wire not hooked up. I touched the rod and spring and it sparked for a sec. Then everything went off. I fried something. I'm assuming the relay??
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
Fused prob popped which is near the battery. Hook up that loose wire and change the fuse with a new 10 amp fuse.
@scoot78 avatar
UTC

1978 P125X

@scoot78 avatar
1978 P125X
UTC quote
rowdyc wrote:
Fused prob popped which is near the battery. Hook up that loose wire and change the fuse with a new 10 amp fuse.
Thanks for your help. Last one, I hope.

Not an 8 amp fuse? That's what's in there. A strange looking fuse. But looks blown (metal not connected on the middle)

Also, where does that loose blue wire get hooked up to??
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
UTC quote
8 amp is what was there at first and if you can find an 8 get it.

I have a 10 amp fuse prob because auto store was out of 8 amps. but should probably change.

Good luck.
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
UTC quote
Those fuses are also in 'vintage' VW Bugs!!! I have a sibling to your scooter and mine came with a very old 'card' with fuses. And to make my troublesome blinkers/indicators/turn signals work I had to use a tiny metal blade/hook to scrape inside that blasted housing where those side pins go, wee tiny sideways scratch, scratch in that very tiny, I can't even see what I am doing and blasted wiring is NOT long enough to pull it where I can see slot... next time I will be raiding the sewing room for those long hooked tweezers from my surger (weird sewing machine thing). And like magic, the scooter had turn singles working, front and back on both sides!!!
I don't know where you can find those fuses but I would guess special order at Auto Zone, JC Whitney, Amazon....
Some of us don't believe a scooter exists unless we see photos....
@scoot78 avatar
UTC

1978 P125X

@scoot78 avatar
1978 P125X
UTC quote
maggiegirl wrote:
Those fuses are also in 'vintage' VW Bugs!!! I have a sibling to your scooter and mine came with a very old 'card' with fuses. And to make my troublesome blinkers/indicators/turn signals work I had to use a tiny metal blade/hook to scrape inside that blasted housing where those side pins go, wee tiny sideways scratch, scratch in that very tiny, I can't even see what I am doing and blasted wiring is NOT long enough to pull it where I can see slot... next time I will be raiding the sewing room for those long hooked tweezers from my surger (weird sewing machine thing). And like magic, the scooter had turn singles working, front and back on both sides!!!
I don't know where you can find those fuses but I would guess special order at Auto Zone, JC Whitney, Amazon....
Thanks. I was able to reconnect the blue wire by sticking a screwdriver into where the cowl pin goes in and hooked it on. Then there is a plastic boot that covers it. I'm pretty confident that's the issue. Just need a new fuse.

Once it's put back together I'll post a pic.
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC quote
If you can't find them, let me know, my scooter came with several and I can tuck 1 in a little padded envelope and send it to you. I probably have at least 5 of the little critters. Lord knows how old they are!
@scoot78 avatar
UTC

1978 P125X

@scoot78 avatar
1978 P125X
UTC quote
maggiegirl wrote:
If you can't find them, let me know, my scooter came with several and I can tuck 1 in a little padded envelope and send it to you. I probably have at least 5 of the little critters. Lord knows how old they are!
Was able to find them this morning but thanks! All back together and everything works.
@scoot78 avatar
UTC

1978 P125X

@scoot78 avatar
1978 P125X
UTC quote
maggiegirl wrote:
Here's pic
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC quote
Great scooter, thanks for posting the pic, and original taillight... very glad you found the fuses.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0377s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0125s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]