Vespa ET8 150cc (ET4 '02) - Urban Scrambler (custom project)
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Vespa ET8
Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:13 am quote
Inspiration coming from a mix of Honda PS 250, Ducati Scrambler, glossy dark grey & black sports cars

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

Addicted
GTS250
Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:21 am quote
nice one - something a bit different
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:25 am quote
I like that a lot.
Hooked
2005 et4
Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:24 am quote
Great look!

With those pictures, you just make us want more.

Do you have a project page somewhere?
How did you do that fender mod?
What do you do for gauges? (pics would be great for that)

etc etc etc
Vespa LX 50
Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:23 am quote
You've got no idea on how much I like that project of yours!!!
Thought about it a while ago but unfortunately don't think is legal in Spain.
I would have installed a Tachometer at least... How do you turn on indicators??
Could you show how did you put the license plate? Thanks in advance and keep posting!!
Vespa ET8
Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 am quote
Thanks for your comments!
No project page set, but this one could serve the purpose.
I have browsed many projects on modernvespa.com before starting mine to get some ideas. So I thought I would share back.
Happy to give hints and product references if something catches your interest.

One thing I am not too happy about is the back. Since these pictures I have shorten the inner rear fender that you can still spot. It looks a bit better but still the wheel is too small and a bit hidden into the frame, which does not look as good as the inspiration - see picture below. In addition, as soon as it rains, I have my shirt full of dirt - not good to go to work. I should have done a "shortening" work of the outer rear fender the same way as the front fender. Just a recommendation if you plan to ride on wet roads.

Another thing to avoid, I have changed the front suspension with a low priced one from the brand Carbon as I was going for the color (black body/red spring). Much worse than the Piaggio original. The rebound is terrible. There is a spring but I wonder where is the amortization. Just get the original one re-painted.

@ Duane1:
Front Fender: I have cut the fender myself with a metal saw, smoothed the edges, and got it painted. I will double check on the measurements to share with you. Got inspired by the project displayed below.

Gauges: I only have the oil indicator (originally red) and refill fuel lights (originally orange) left. Did some rewiring and set the little bulbs right in front of the handlebar. I will share a picture over the weekend. All the other gauges are gone.

@ mrmarti
Tacho: I feel the speed with the heart.... well, that will not fly better with authorities in HK as it would in Spain. Even less actually, much stricter here than in southern Europe being myself from Europe. But well, at some point you have to put the project on the road. I was thinking of setting a bicycle digital tacho to show the speed, but the signal of wireless ones gets messed up/disconnected with the metal frame body and a wheel-to-display distance greater than on a bicycle. I could not find any good designed one with wire. In addition, setting the magnet on the wheel is a little bit challenging but possible - there is little space with the calliper. But if you happen to know about any good looking and simple bicycle wired type tacho, please share the reference. For the story, the cable on my daily commute Vespa LX i.e. 3V got broken after 20kkms, so I also feel the speed with the heart on that one at the moment. The only thing is that authorities still see an original tacho, so it won't get me into trouble if I get checked. I could set a mocked digital on this Urban Scrambler project just to pretend - still the design of the piece has to be simple, raw and discreet. To be continued. In the meantime I will probably set an X RamMount in the center of the handlebar and run a GPS App such as Waze on my smartphone to get the speed.

License plate: I have set a 8cm wide piece of rubber that runs from under the seat where the rear rack is originally mounted to the 2 bolts above the rear light that are also normally used to hold the rear rack on the ET4, or the handlebar on the LX. Then the plate is fixed on this bouncy piece of rubber. I can share pictures and dimensions later.

Indicators: I have bought a Left Side Switch and rewired. Please see reference in the file attached. I can share the seller later if interested. Yet this part requires very precise and extensive trimming work - on the newly bought part - to nudge it properly with the brake holder collar on the handlebar - pictures to come later will clarify. I have not gone that far yet, it still sits a bit off on the left.

image_20798.jpg
I like the back better here, it was my goal as the rear wheel stands out better and meaner, but it requires to change gearbox with the one a Fly 150 and wheels with 12" from the latest Sprint...

IMG_8224.jpg
What I started from, actually I should have started from a not so rusty/worn out base

IMG_8334.jpg
Inspiration for the front fender

20150301 - Commodos Vespa ET8.pdf
 Description:
Indicator switch

Download
 Filename:  20150301 - Commodos Vespa ET8.pdf
 Filesize:  216.78 KB

Vespa LX 50
Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:42 am quote
Thank you very much for your answer!
Please keep up the good work and keep posting!
As an idea, how about a different type of seat? Something a little bit more "Scramblerer"
Something like the one in the picture below would look incredible and shouldn't be hard to find someone who could make it for you.
I got my seat custom made some time ago, keeping the original shape but was quite cheap and I'm sure they can change the shape without being really expensive!

image.jpeg

Hooked
2006 px125
Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:43 pm quote
Any updates on this, I like it.
LX 150 3V ie
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm quote
For the S or LX rear wheel, is it necessary to change some parts to install a bigger size from their standard size? if i want install a 11" or 12" rear wheel on LX. Thanks
Vespa ET8
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm quote
Trimming the front mudguard

Last edited by Normal on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Vespa ET8
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:50 am quote
How to trim the front mudguard from original
Measurements that I followed

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14a3.jpg
Original size front

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14a7.jpg
Original size side

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14a5.jpg
Trimmed size front

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14a6.jpg
Trimmed size side

Vespa ET8
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:55 am quote
The wires
Electrical connections

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1488.jpg
make a loop

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_148d.jpg
make a loop

Vespa ET8
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:58 am quote
speedometer
from a bicycle

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1493.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1494.jpg
top speed!
well... I don't know why, sometimes it counts double. But that's ok, gives a thrill with imagination

Vespa ET8
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:04 am quote
lingkarusak wrote:
For the S or LX rear wheel, is it necessary to change some parts to install a bigger size from their standard size? if i want install a 11" or 12" rear wheel on LX. Thanks
I had thought about this, and in fact you need to change the gearbox to fit a bigger wheel/tyre. For ET4, the gearbox of the same generation 12" would fit, such as Fly year 2002. To this extent, might as well change the whole engine from a more recent Vespa Primavera that had gone to the graveyard after an accident.
Vespa ET8
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:22 am quote
New tires

E9310EE8-E6EF-4B98-89BC-C79D5624CC2A.jpeg

Vespa Sprint 150
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:06 pm quote
That's amazing!
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 1.3106s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1782s) ][ Debug on ]