Sip Speedo Issue
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
PX210 Disc
Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:53 am quote
Hi I have a problem with my Sip speedo on my 2001 PX Disc. The issue is every now & again when I use my indicators the speed shuts down (goes blank) the needle shoots up & back down like when its being started.

Could this be down to a wiring issue & its causing a short/serge or could it possibly be the black box??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig
Addicted
69 VLB, 79 P200, P125/Stella and a couple frames
Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:46 am quote
I'd say wiring. I've got some similar issues but on a 1980 with standard speedo. Of course my speedo isn't turning off as its all mechanical, but many parts share a common ground. What wires did you tap into and how did you ground it.
Addicted
64 allstate, 66 sprint, 74 primavera, 79 P125x
Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:00 am quote
I have a similar issue, where if I sound the horn for long enough, it does the same thing... The speedo "reboots"...
Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:02 pm quote
Are you using an "R" plug.. as in NGK BR9ES?

that helped me in a similar situation.. the "R" is for resistor..

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ngk-nickel-spark-plug-br9es-5722/11420001-P
Addicted
64 allstate, 66 sprint, 74 primavera, 79 P125x
Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:15 pm quote
Vader,
I am using an "R" plug...

I think I have other sip speedo issues as well... Don't want to hijack the thread...
Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:02 pm quote
make sure it's grounded...

.... and IF you happen to be using the SIP speedo w/ a Vespatronic, it'll go dark until you get it some revs.. (there is a work around.. one of the smart electricians here sent me some kind of in-line "gadget" (I'm no NOT an electical guy) that will store some of the "current" to keep the speedo running, even at low revs...

Also.. Craigy.. I did have this same issue, and it DID turn out to be the black box.. I got a new one from SIP and it solved that issue (going dark and then pinging all the way up and down... so the issue you're having is not unheard of)

Do you have your red and brown wires tied together, then both (tied together) going to your headlight power? ... and as Pancho said, and I re-mentioned.. it's important to make sure you've got it grounded to a solid piece of metal on the frame or inside the headset..
PX210 Disc
Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:44 am quote
Vader19 wrote:
Are you using an "R" plug.. as in NGK BR9ES?

that helped me in a similar situation.. the "R" is for resistor..

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ngk-nickel-spark-plug-br9es-5722/11420001-P
Hi thank you for your reply. Would fitting a resistor spark plug & cap make a difference even if I haven't got the temperature gauge ring attached?.
PX210 Disc
Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:52 am quote
Vader19 wrote:

.... and IF you happen to be using the SIP speedo w/ a Vespatronic, it'll go dark until you get it some revs.. (there is a work around.. one of the smart electricians here sent me some kind of in-line "gadget" (I'm no NOT an electical guy) that will store some of the "current" to keep the speedo running, even at low revs...

Also.. Craigy.. I did have this same issue, and it DID turn out to be the black box.. I got a new one from SIP and it solved that issue (going dark and then pinging all the way up and down... so the issue you're having is not unheard of)

Do you have your red and brown wires tied together, then both (tied together) going to your headlight power? ... and as Pancho said, and I re-mentioned.. it's important to make sure you've got it grounded to a solid piece of metal on the frame or inside the headset..
Thanks Vader19 I will get a resistor plug & cap & try that as Sip have said the same. Although I'm not sure if it will make a difference as my temp gauge is not connected (I'm no elecy either lol). But if this doesn't work I will look into the red & brown wires & also the grounding again.

Thanks Craig
Hooked
Vespa PX200
Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:18 am quote
@Vader -- I've got an issue possibly related to the sip speedo hookup, but it has to do with my headlight. It's weak as hell. I thought it might be the voltage regulator not pumping out enough juice, but that's not it.

Anyway my SIP speedo does tend to switch itself off when the headlight is on and the engine's at less than 2000rpm.

I wonder if a ground connection in there isn't working. I remember I hooked everything up according to the instructions, and things worked fine for years, and now I've got a weak headlamp / rebooting SIP speedo. And I can't remember what the grounding of the connection looked like, how it worked. You mentioned grounding the connection there to a solid piece of metal -- I have no recollection of ever doing that. Do you have any more specific advice? Pictures of your own installation?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader
Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:03 pm quote
Vader19 wrote:
I'd be interested to see details of this system.
JimVanMorrissey wrote:
@Vader -- I've got an issue possibly related to the sip speedo hookup, but it has to do with my headlight. It's weak as hell. I thought it might be the voltage regulator not pumping out enough juice, but that's not it.

Anyway my SIP speedo does tend to switch itself off when the headlight is on and the engine's at less than 2000rpm.

I wonder if a ground connection in there isn't working. I remember I hooked everything up according to the instructions, and things worked fine for years, and now I've got a weak headlamp / rebooting SIP speedo. And I can't remember what the grounding of the connection looked like, how it worked. You mentioned grounding the connection there to a solid piece of metal -- I have no recollection of ever doing that. Do you have any more specific advice? Pictures of your own installation?
That sounds more like a short to the headlight to me.
PX210 Disc
Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:55 pm quote
Vader19 wrote:

Hi Vader19... I got myself a resistor spark plug & cap but still having the same issue. This is definitely related to the revs as you said because while leaving my scoot ticking over I flick the indicator on & it happens then when I give it some revs the speedo comes alive. I turned my tickover up & this also stops the speedo from shutting down but obviously the scoot is revving its gonads off.
Would you be able to give me some details on this in-line gadget that you used to rectify your issue. Thanks again for your advice Craig
Hooked
SS180, V90, Lambrettas, RD's and a K1300s and an RZ500

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 am quote
The behavior you are describing is common on the AC powered systems. It is simply the speedo not getting enough voltage to operate. That is why turning the revs up helps, the higher revs generate more power.

Most likely your turn signals are drawing enough to get the power to dip below the limit the speedo can handle. If you have a battery, make sure it is charged up and that the red wire is connected to the battery power while the brown goes to the ac power. The horn is the real power draw that messes it up.

In the second version of the speedo they improved the black box to hold more to keep from rebooting when the charging gets low.

With the following capacitor arrangement, I can blast the horn for about 5 seconds with all lights on at idle (my neighbors must have really enjoyed me testing this, BTW) before the speedo starts to dim and then reboot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76117784@N05/16559256969/in/album-72157650813330008/
Addicted
Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:33 pm quote
I believe it's the white wire on the switch that gives power from the battery. That's the one I used. I think I used the tail light wire at one time too. Feeds the speedo only when key is on
PX210 Disc
Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:18 pm quote
Hi just a quick update on my speedo issue & to thank everyone for there advice.

Managed to get round to taking the headset top off today & the brown & red wires were together going into the lights. So re-wired the red wire to the electric start button & now works a treat. It all works now with just the ignition on (not fired up).
Addicted
Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:33 pm quote
Perfect.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1043s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0481s) ][ Debug on ]