Is my Vespa worth getting fixed again or they rip me off ?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
Vespa LX50
Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:13 pm quote
So recently I brought in my Vespa for a whole lot of repairing but the thing i mainly had troubles with was my dashboard and headlight and my vespa wouldnt start without the kick starter, then it would stop working after about 20 meters of driving. I brought it to a Vespa dealer, waited 2 weeks and had to pay 480 for that + a big checkup. When i got home i realised my dashboard and headlight still werent working and 4 days after that my Vespa broke down on my way home from work and wouldnt start at all. Is my vespa just so broken that it can't be fixed anymore or did the garage just rip me off ? And what can I do without paying them an insane amount of money again ? Do i have some rights of some kind to demand free repairing since it looks like they didnt do anything, my scooter is in the same condition after the repairments as when i brought it in. Just a lot of frustrations.
Hooked
2005 et4
Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:08 pm quote
What does the itemized bill say they did for that money?

Posts a scan of it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Aprilia SC300, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:12 pm quote
Where are you located and what kind of shop (Vespa dealer, independent shop, garage mechanic, etc) did the work?
Lurker
Vespa LX50
Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 pm quote
duane1 wrote:
What does the itemized bill say they did for that money?

Posts a scan of it.
Well it's in dutch so i dont think it will be of any help, i'll translate it tomorrow morning
Hooked
shopping for one now :D
Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:42 pm quote
you got majorly ripped off.....

sounds like battery / voltage regulator or even Brake switch issue ...

480euros is expensive!!! especially if they didn't fix it

don't take it back to any mechanic - fix it yourself with our help
LX125 '07
Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:39 am quote
I would bring it back to that garage and make them fix it properly. For the price you paid they owe you that. If they are serious about their business they should apologuse and repair it. I am sure you can meet halfway if new parts needed.
If you do something yourself they would blame you...
Ossessionato
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:30 am quote
Rascal wrote:
you got majorly ripped off.....

sounds like battery / voltage regulator or even Brake switch issue ...

480euros is expensive!!! especially if they didn't fix it

don't take it back to any mechanic - fix it yourself with our help
You have no idea what they did to the bike and why it stopped running, how in the heck can you say they ripped him off?????
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:45 am quote
W, well for one they didn't fix his original problem. If you could translate the bill that would help us, so we can see what they did. At first glance it does sound sketchy. Not all mechanics are honest. You might have gotten the odd one that isn't. Was it a authorized Vespa dealer or somebody who even knows how to work on them> Don't get discouraged. It's fixable. I have almost 40,000 miles on my LX 150.
Ossessionato
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:07 am quote
judy wrote:
W, well for one they didn't fix his original problem. If you could translate the bill that would help us, so we can see what they did. At first glance it does sound sketchy. Not all mechanics are honest. You might have gotten the odd one that isn't. Was it a authorized Vespa dealer or somebody who even knows how to work on them> Don't get discouraged. It's fixable. I have almost 40,000 miles on my LX 150.
Go back and read the first post. They got it running and it was running for two weeks.
In that time he hasn't even contact the dealer to see why the other issues weren't fixed or to ask about the latest failure. So dealer has never been engaged, but per Radical, "you got majorly ripped off....."

Also look at this comment, "480 for that + a big checkup."
He could have had the belt and rollers replaced and a valve adjustment.
Addicted
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti
Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 am quote
read it again he had to wait 2 weeks for his scooter, then when he got it home realised his dash still wasnt working and then 4 days later the motor stopped working again
World Traveler

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:56 am quote
W, that's why i asked the OP to translate the bill. Still seems like a lot of money and they didn't fix his original problem.
Lurker
Vespa LX50
Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:32 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
judy wrote:
Go back and read the first post. They got it running and it was running for two weeks.
In that time he hasn't even contact the dealer to see why the other issues weren't fixed or to ask about the latest failure. So dealer has never been engaged, but per Radical, "you got majorly ripped off....."

Also look at this comment, "480 for that + a big checkup."
He could have had the belt and rollers replaced and a valve adjustment.
Did you even read what i wrote ? Because the things you're saying are absolutely not what i wrote. My dashboard lights stopped working AGAIN the day after the whole repair and i contacted the mechanic right away and he told me to bring the Vespa by again, it happened on a saturday and the mechanic was closed until tuesday. Sunday the Vespa broke down again. I'm going back tomorrow because i had to find someone with a car big enough to bring my Vespa to the mechanic
Lurker
Vespa LX50
Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:34 pm quote
judy wrote:
My father stored the bill somewhere and i cant seem to find it but i'm going there tomorrow and i already called and asked if they could have a copy ready, i'll let you guys know how it went and i'll translate the copy of the bill as soon as i get home !
Molto Verboso
LML star
Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:21 am quote
Re: Is my Vespa worth getting fixed again or they rip me off
Polszowka wrote:
So recently I brought in my Vespa for a whole lot of repairing but the thing i mainly had troubles with was my dashboard and headlight and my vespa wouldnt start without the kick starter, then it would stop working after about 20 meters of driving. I brought it to a Vespa dealer, waited 2 weeks and had to pay 480 for that + a big checkup. When i got home i realised my dashboard and headlight still werent working and 4 days after that my Vespa broke down on my way home from work and wouldnt start at all. Is my vespa just so broken that it can't be fixed anymore or did the garage just rip me off ? And what can I do without paying them an insane amount of money again ? Do i have some rights of some kind to demand free repairing since it looks like they didnt do anything, my scooter is in the same condition after the repairments as when i brought it in. Just a lot of frustrations.
[/quote]polszowka

Did you even read what i wrote ? Because the things you're saying are absolutely not what i wrote. My dashboard lights stopped working AGAIN the day after the whole repair and i contacted the mechanic right away and he told me to bring the Vespa by again, it happened on a saturday and the mechanic was closed until tuesday. Sunday the Vespa broke down again. I'm going back tomorrow because i had to find someone with a car big enough to bring my Vespa to the mechanic
Quote:
so did lights go off next day or when you got home

this to me sounds like a simple battery issue
World Traveler

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:07 am quote
P, it's fixable, hang in there. Does the mechanic your taking it to know how to work on Vespa's? One would think that a mechanic who works on scooters should be able to work on a Vespa but that isn't always the case. Took me a while to find somebody over here to know how to work on them (other than the guys who own them that i ride with). What year is your Vespa and are you the original owner. The more info you give us the better we can give you the right info. Rascal's right. It does sound like a battery etc issue.A good battery dealer can check your battery for you and see if it's good. Not everybody can or likes to work on their bike. Key is to find a good mechanic.
Ossessionato
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:27 am quote
Gasmk1 wrote:
read it again he had to wait 2 weeks for his scooter, then when he got it home realised his dash still wasnt working and then 4 days later the motor stopped working again
The one thing that stands out to me is that the dash wasn't working when he left the dealer. Did he not look down at his speed-o and figure that out before he got all the way home and then never contacted the dealer asking why they didn't fix the dash.
Hooked
2013 Buddy 125

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:49 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Gasmk1 wrote:
The one thing that stands out to me is that the dash wasn't working when he left the dealer. Did he not look down at his speed-o and figure that out before he got all the way home and then never contacted the dealer asking why they didn't fix the dash.
Again, read it again! The dashboard LIGHTS didn't work, not the gauges or displays. It may be easy to miss the lights being out during the daytime with everything else on his or her's mind.
Vespa GTS 125
Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:05 pm quote
Expensive services
A year ago I took my GTS to the bike shop for a service. It cost me just over 100. It was itemised coolant was low. overall my scoot felt worse off. I'm not going back their overall attitude was not good. I changed the exhaust myself this year I'm going elsewhere so I don't think your on your own getting stung
2016 Piaggio BV 350 ABS
Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:44 pm quote
they rip you off!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Aprilia SC300, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:03 am quote
Well, at this point I don't think comments by others thousands of miles away about whether you were "ripped off" or not are really very helpful. You had a major repair done. There are problems with the repair. That has certainly happened to most of us. The real issue is what happens next. You bring the continuing issues to the attention of the repair shop. You take the bike back in and expect them to make it good. Whether they are actually ripping you off depends on what happens next.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0968s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0465s) ][ Debug on ]