GTS 125 Midnight Blue Stolen in London
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Author Message
Member
GTS 125 2010 - Midnight Blue LB10 VDE - (Stolen)
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Location: London
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:45 am quote
Hi all sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

My GTS 125 Midnight Blue, beige saddle 2010 model LB10 VDE was stolen from my apartment car park last night in Sidcup, south east London.

It has some scratches on both sides and a mid sizes adjustable windshield.

It was locked to an immovable object with an Almax Immobiliser 3 chain and squire padlock and took the whole lot, then slashed my wife's tyres next to it for good measure..

If anybody sees it, ping me.

In the meantime, safe riding and keep your scoots safe and locked up as best as you can.

Thank you

Bjorn
Member
2016 Vespa Primavera Settantesimo 50cc
Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Posts: 46
Location: Neptune Beach, Florida
Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:08 am quote
Re: GTS 125 Midnight Blue Stolen in London
bjornmysta wrote:
Hi all sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

My GTS 125 Midnight Blue, beige saddle 2010 model LB10 VDE was stolen from my apartment car park last night in Sidcup, south east London.

It has some scratches on both sides and a mid sizes adjustable windshield.

It was locked to an immovable object with an Almax Immobiliser 3 chain and squire padlock and took the whole lot, then slashed my wife's tyres next to it for good measure..

If anybody sees it, ping me.

In the meantime, safe riding and keep your scoots safe and locked up as best as you can.

Thank you

Bjorn
So sorry to hear that - I hope you find it!
Hooked
Triumph 900 Bonnie
Joined: 11 May 2016
Posts: 320
Location: Sussex coast.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:15 am quote
I feel your pain. And, as for slashing your car tyres, that just shows the utter contempt these bastards have for normal folks.
Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 4629
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA-Capestang,FR
Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:01 am quote
simon64ds wrote:
I feel your pain. And, as for slashing your car tyres, that just shows the utter contempt these bastards have for normal folks.
These are seriously dangerous people. Had someone confronted them, it may have had a fatal outcome.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 29304

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:44 am quote
I am so sorry for your loss. What is going on over there/ Not a violent person but these people need a serious ass kicking IMHO.
Hooked
Triumph 900 Bonnie
Joined: 11 May 2016
Posts: 320
Location: Sussex coast.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
simon64ds wrote:
I feel your pain. And, as for slashing your car tyres, that just shows the utter contempt these bastards have for normal folks.
These are seriously dangerous people. Had someone confronted them, it may have had a fatal outcome.
Sadly, I suspect you're right. Quite where all this is going to end is a complete mystery to me and I despair that our capital has sunk to this level. Even more worrying is that trends that begin in London inevitably escalate out into the provinces.



Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 am
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?



Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 am
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?



Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:05 pm
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2713
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:07 pm quote
Beah, horrible. So sorry, man!

The political responses already ruined the angle-grinder thread, so how about removing them from this one. I'm sure we all have different theories about the causes of crime and how to address it, and I'm sure there are appropriate other places to have that discussion.

Again, sorry for the theft!
Hooked
GTS Super Sport
Joined: 02 Aug 2016
Posts: 173
Location: San Francisco
Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:55 pm quote
Sounds like some incredibly determined thieves.
I'm sorry you had your scooter stolen. It seemed like you were determined to keep it and had taken prudent precautions against this theft happening.
Hooked
Triumph 900 Bonnie
Joined: 11 May 2016
Posts: 320
Location: Sussex coast.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:59 pm quote
With regard to keeping the replacement scooter safe..

Maybe we should have a 'whip round' on the forum and try and raise the money for a tracker? If the UK owners chipped in the price of a couple of pints each it should cover it. That way if they did come back they're going to open a can of worms on themselves.
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 2135
Location: London
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:48 pm quote
Re: GTS 125 Midnight Blue Stolen in London
bjornmysta wrote:
It was locked to an immovable object with an Almax Immobiliser 3 chain and squire padlock and took the whole lot
Sorry to hear about that. How did they break the security? bolt croppers, grinder, lift the bike and the immovable object into a van? (Just curious really)
Hooked
Triumph 900 Bonnie
Joined: 11 May 2016
Posts: 320
Location: Sussex coast.
Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:21 am quote
I think the definition of 'immovable' means they didn't load it into a van..
Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 2135
Location: London
Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:31 am quote
simon64ds wrote:
I think the definition of 'immovable' means they didn't load it into a van..
but they took the whole lot which implies they took the chain and locks too. It's also odd that they went to so much trouble to get a 125 when they can spend the same amount of trouble to get a 300cc. That's just why I was curious. Really just wanted to know if there was anything we could learn from it so I could add it to the security article in the wiki.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5924
Location: New Zealand
Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:54 am quote
robinm wrote:
It's also odd that they went to so much trouble to get a 125 when they can spend the same amount of trouble to get a 300cc.
Maybe all the 300s have been stolen already?



Last edited by znomit on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Triumph 900 Bonnie
Joined: 11 May 2016
Posts: 320
Location: Sussex coast.
Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:56 am quote
Hey! How can that quote me on something I didn't say?
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1916
Location: E. KY
Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:24 am quote
Juvenile criminals. Adults wouldn't risk taking time to slash tires, vs. getting caught. Matters not which side of the pond yer on , we have them too and we've had them a long time.
I was, in one of my careers, the superintendent of a Juvy treatment program and also was a counselor in a prison. With any age boogerman crime is about opportunity and to ask a juvenile why they did something like a tire slash is a total waste. In my area most all property crimes are related to DRUGS.
As to how they cut it I can truthfully say that when a thread comes up on ADV forum (fairly often from people in large urban areas) about "how do you lock your MC" many will reply they have never owned a MC lock-me among them.
OTOH, when my sons were in college I tired of stolen bicycles no matter what lock,chain or cable I had them using-they stole them all, except the junkers.
Kryptonite, hah!
Hooked
Triumph 900 Bonnie
Joined: 11 May 2016
Posts: 320
Location: Sussex coast.
Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:25 am quote
Hmm, perhaps they were adults who slashed the tyre to lessen any chance of being pursued?
Enthusiast
GTS
Joined: 19 Aug 2016
Posts: 88
Location: Edinburgh,Scotland
Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:38 am quote
Thats the way I think it must have happened

Grinder and pushed away/ van, slash tyres to ensure not followed.

They must have left a fair bit of dust off the blade to get through that chain


My sympathies go out to you
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1916
Location: E. KY
Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:33 am quote
simon64ds wrote:
Hmm, perhaps they were adults who slashed the tyre to lessen any chance of being pursued?
only in the movies...
Hooked
Triumph 900 Bonnie
Joined: 11 May 2016
Posts: 320
Location: Sussex coast.
Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:18 pm quote
Kantuckid wrote:
simon64ds wrote:
Hmm, perhaps they were adults who slashed the tyre to lessen any chance of being pursued?
only in the movies...
What?! Tom Cruise stole his scooter?
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1916
Location: E. KY
Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:02 am quote
While I'm not a Tom Cruise fan I have read a bunch of Lee Child's (British born writer) Jack Reacher novels. Tom played Jack in the movies and kinda ironic(or plain ole dumb?) that "real" Jack is 6'5" while Tom boy is so short that as everyone on earth knows that he uses boot lifts as he's the shortest Hollywood hero on record.
For a UK fellow to choose such a poor, stumpy built, e.g. of a "hero" to save the day is questionable?
I suggest some poor kids having a good bit of fun riding his newly acquired blue scoot, instead of public transit or walking?
Are the LEO's in UK heavily focused on stolen vehicles as seen in the USA? Here in USA the insurance people keep that one going.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37591
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:14 am quote
One big difference between the US and UK policing models is that (around here anyway) in the US each town or city has its own police force, paid for in the main by local taxes. So there's a much greater connection between the local populace and the LEOs. In my case, within a three mile radius there are four police forces: Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Concord and CHP. Even in our little backwater neighbourhood there's a patrol car available within a couple of minutes at most.

Not so in the UK, where the forces are typically county based, with much larger areas to cover but with not a proportionately higher number of officers.

Corrections welcome if I've not quite 'got it'.
Member
GTS 125 2010 - Midnight Blue LB10 VDE - (Stolen)
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:51 am quote
Re: GTS 125 Midnight Blue Stolen in London
robinm wrote:
bjornmysta wrote:
It was locked to an immovable object with an Almax Immobiliser 3 chain and squire padlock and took the whole lot
Sorry to hear about that. How did they break the security? bolt croppers, grinder, lift the bike and the immovable object into a van? (Just curious really)
Firstly, thanks all for your condolences and input.

It was attached to a service steel piping (sewage in truth probably about 12 inches in diameter) It was cut by an angle grinder (as a neighbour remembers hearing it) and loaded into a van (see below). I know this because after I posted a note to all my neighbours asking whether they saw anything and one got back to me.

At 8:30pm on Thursday 8th Dec 2016 my neighbour was concerned about two men sitting in an idling small white van in the car park. She walked up the stairwell and looked out the window to see it squeal out and round the corner with one of its doors flapping open looking like they were disturbed. Then saw it reverse back into the car park. She was ready to take a photo of it but it sped off before she could take the picture.

First two letters of number plate are: MV (for what its worth)

My thoughts are that they had spotted it a while back and had done reconnaissance working out when I came home from work. 8:30pm at this time of year is as good as night time but not so late as anyone to notice/bother about a random noise.

I don't think they were very sophisticated due to the way they went about it and quite right it was only a 125cc with poor bodywork (due to 3 years of parking in London's cramped bike parking bays) So wouldn't have thought it would be worth it...
Member
GTS 125 2010 - Midnight Blue LB10 VDE - (Stolen)
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:34 am quote
stage2 wrote:
Thats the way I think it must have happened

Grinder and pushed away/ van, slash tyres to ensure not followed.

They must have left a fair bit of dust off the blade to get through that chain


My sympathies go out to you
Thanks man,

That is what the general sentiment is about the tyres. But this leads me to ask a very real question. How did they know that the bay next door was mine too? There are no numbers and are unmarked. I feel like I've been spied on, quite a creepy feeling.
Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 5542
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:15 am quote
I don't know if you have any security at your apartment block but I would be wondering about it if you did. But yes, you have been watched at some point by someone to check.

I gave up on Vespa after all of them in my street were stolen in a six month period, and someone took a knife to cover to the cover of my PX (they didn't steal it). They are great things but I wouldn't have one again in London unless I owned a garage.

I'm really sorry yours got taken too.
Member
GTS 125 2010 - Midnight Blue LB10 VDE - (Stolen)
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:25 am quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
I don't know if you have any security at your apartment block but I would be wondering about it if you did. But yes, you have been watched at some point by someone to check.

I gave up on Vespa after all of them in my street were stolen in a six month period, and someone took a knife to cover to the cover of my PX (they didn't steal it). They are great things but I wouldn't have one again in London unless I owned a garage.

I'm really sorry yours got taken too.
Oh my goodness, I can't believe all the ones on your street were taken. The annoying thing is, I used to have a garage for years, I only moved 3.5 months ago. I've learnt the hard way how important a garage really is for scoots.

Where abouts do you live in London per chance? I heard south west like Wandsworth and surrounding areas are pretty hot for it.
Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 14959
Location: London UK
Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:47 am quote
i'm really sorry to hear about your loss mine was taken about 18 months ago - from my driveway in leafy suburbia. Every bike on my street was taken as well, over about a 6 month period - I live in Hornchurch.

There isn't really anywhere immune from theft in the Greater London area these days. South London is particularly bad, there's a lot of trouble in Islington, and apparently also in the Dagenham/Chadwell Heath area.

I've since replaced the Vespa with a very anodyne white monster (which I love riding), but I'm actually way too anxious to ride it into London any more - I've got an irrational fear of being scooterjacked, and even if that doesn't happen, I don't feel safe leaving it anywhere. One more theft and I'll be uninsurable.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1916
Location: E. KY
Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 am quote
jimc wrote:
One big difference between the US and UK policing models is that (around here anyway) in the US each town or city has its own police force, paid for in the main by local taxes. So there's a much greater connection between the local populace and the LEOs. In my case, within a three mile radius there are four police forces: Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Concord and CHP. Even in our little backwater neighbourhood there's a patrol car available within a couple of minutes at most.

Not so in the UK, where the forces are typically county based, with much larger areas to cover but with not a proportionately higher number of officers.

Corrections welcome if I've not quite 'got it'.
Actually in much of the USA, meaning the rural part, which is geographically large but also where most people don't live the ONLY police are the county based sheriff's office. The tax base is literally non-existent in poor rural counties in the USA which is how you pay for law enforcement. Even small towns across the USA lack much in LEO resources. Affluent suburbia often has small but professional LEO's.
In my county, one of the poorer ones in the whole country, we didn't even have a 24/7 sheriff's office until a few years back. State police are often the only true professional LEO's in much of the rural USA. Their legal jurisidiction varies by state. My next door neighbor is a "state boy" as some locals call them. He's from this area and an e.g. of how the KY State Police try to augment the lack of a professional police force in rural counties.
My current (elected) sheriff has ZERO law enforcement training! he even went so far as to sate in his election ads along with the photo of his nice family, that he would get the training if elected. He was elected over a locally born, 12 year, trained, well educated, professional police officer who lacked the larger family , thus less votes. And another experienced local too, who probably split the vote?
This is a common theme in county law enforcement in the USA.
Your California e.g. doesn't hold water for many other county places in the USA.
UK, sad tale but all too true as lots of "boogermen" here & there in UK too.
In the USA two & four wheeled thefts are often sold as parts, thus the most popular cars here to steal are not the high end cars.
Tire slashing by an adult thief still strikes me as weird. Most want away from the scene sooner not later! The part about "did they case the situation" is a big yes. I worked with these type people and I know how their warped minds work- they go through each day looking for opportunity/property to steal. Not a spur of the moment thing, sadly it's what they do.
Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 5542
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 am quote
bjornmysta wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
I don't know if you have any security at your apartment block but I would be wondering about it if you did. But yes, you have been watched at some point by someone to check.

I gave up on Vespa after all of them in my street were stolen in a six month period, and someone took a knife to cover to the cover of my PX (they didn't steal it). They are great things but I wouldn't have one again in London unless I owned a garage.

I'm really sorry yours got taken too.
Oh my goodness, I can't believe all the ones on your street were taken. The annoying thing is, I used to have a garage for years, I only moved 3.5 months ago. I've learnt the hard way how important a garage really is for scoots.

Where abouts do you live in London per chance? I heard south west like Wandsworth and surrounding areas are pretty hot for it.
I live in Forest Hill, SE23/26.

There used to be lots of Vespa around my way. Over 12 months they were all taken. I didn't replace mine as I considered they would come back for it once my insurance had paid up.

I replaced it with a boring Honda (faster, bike, but did nothing for me). I'll get another Vespa when I move out of London, down to South Coast.
Member
GTS 125 2010 - Midnight Blue LB10 VDE - (Stolen)
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:38 am quote
genie wrote:
i'm really sorry to hear about your loss mine was taken about 18 months ago - from my driveway in leafy suburbia. Every bike on my street was taken as well, over about a 6 month period - I live in Hornchurch.

There isn't really anywhere immune from theft in the Greater London area these days. South London is particularly bad, there's a lot of trouble in Islington, and apparently also in the Dagenham/Chadwell Heath area.

I've since replaced the Vespa with a very anodyne white monster (which I love riding), but I'm actually way too anxious to ride it into London any more - I've got an irrational fear of being scooterjacked, and even if that doesn't happen, I don't feel safe leaving it anywhere. One more theft and I'll be uninsurable.
Thank you:-)

WOW! you're the third person to say, every bike on their street/area has been taken over a short space of time I've seen some very worrying youtube videos, leading me to believe there is no limit to the lengths criminals go to.

I'm in a very real position of 'Should I actually replace it at all?' sad times.

Safe riding in the cold weather..
Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 4629
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA-Capestang,FR
Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:51 am quote
genie wrote:
i'm really sorry to hear about your loss mine was taken about 18 months ago - from my driveway in leafy suburbia. Every bike on my street was taken as well, over about a 6 month period - I live in Hornchurch.

There isn't really anywhere immune from theft in the Greater London area these days. South London is particularly bad, there's a lot of trouble in Islington, and apparently also in the Dagenham/Chadwell Heath area.

I've since replaced the Vespa with a very anodyne white monster (which I love riding), but I'm actually way too anxious to ride it into London any more - I've got an irrational fear of being scooterjacked, and even if that doesn't happen, I don't feel safe leaving it anywhere. One more theft and I'll be uninsurable.
One wonders why with the weight of evidence (theft reports,insurance claims, etc.) it wouldn't kick start the powers that be to do something about it. It certainly gives London a bad name in the international community, at least here on MV.
It would be interesting to see what the crime stats are on all fronts in London.
Member
GTS 125 2010 - Midnight Blue LB10 VDE - (Stolen)
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:06 am quote
[quote="

I live in Forest Hill, SE23/26.

There used to be lots of Vespa around my way. Over 12 months they were all taken. I didn't replace mine as I considered they would come back for it once my insurance had paid up.

I replaced it with a boring Honda (faster, bike, but did nothing for me). I'll get another Vespa when I move out of London, down to South Coast.[/quote]

I can't believe its so far gone.. That seems like a well considered plan, some really nice places down there! I rode pilgrims way last spring and went quite a way along, very nice. Good luck with your plans.
Member
GTS 125 2010 - Midnight Blue LB10 VDE - (Stolen)
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:24 am quote
genie wrote:
One wonders why with the weight of evidence (theft reports,insurance claims, etc.) it wouldn't kick start the powers that be to do something about it. It certainly gives London a bad name in the international community, at least here on MV.
It would be interesting to see what the crime stats are on all fronts in London.
I understand how it must look to the international community. I think it would be unfair though to say London is crime ridden or a dangerous place, far from it. Space is at a premium here and as such there's probably a higher percentage of scooters left on the street at night as opposed to locked garages etc, which must contribute massively.

But I definitely agree that this seems to be a problem raging out of control and there certainly doesn't seem to be much action being taken. Scooter crime is seriously underestimated because these bikes are then being used for other crimes like smash and grabs and getaway vehicles due to their impunity to getting persued 'for their own safety', crazy. I mean I'm not necessarily saying our police should be more like US police but bloody hell, they'd at least be able to take them down!
Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 5542
Location: London
Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:25 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
genie wrote:
i'm really sorry to hear about your loss mine was taken about 18 months ago - from my driveway in leafy suburbia. Every bike on my street was taken as well, over about a 6 month period - I live in Hornchurch.

There isn't really anywhere immune from theft in the Greater London area these days. South London is particularly bad, there's a lot of trouble in Islington, and apparently also in the Dagenham/Chadwell Heath area.

I've since replaced the Vespa with a very anodyne white monster (which I love riding), but I'm actually way too anxious to ride it into London any more - I've got an irrational fear of being scooterjacked, and even if that doesn't happen, I don't feel safe leaving it anywhere. One more theft and I'll be uninsurable.
One wonders why with the weight of evidence (theft reports,insurance claims, etc.) it wouldn't kick start the powers that be to do something about it. It certainly gives London a bad name in the international community, at least here on MV.
It would be interesting to see what the crime stats are on all fronts in London.
London is a very safe city to live in. But it is dire for theft. If it is not nailed down, it will be stolen.

For example, I was pickpocketed last week. I did not report this, because I could not provide the police with any real detail on what happened. A bump into another person leaving the tube and then got up to the top of the stairs...

Cards and cash gone. So I cancelled everything, got some cash from a friend, and went home. I had zero expectation that it would be resolved.
Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 4629
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA-Capestang,FR
Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:41 am quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
London is a very safe city to live in. But it is dire for theft. If it is not nailed down, it will be stolen.

For example, I was pickpocketed last week. I did not report this, because I could not provide the police with any real detail on what happened. A bump into another person leaving the tube and then got up to the top of the stairs...

Cards and cash gone. So I cancelled everything, got some cash from a friend, and went home. I had zero expectation that it would be resolved.
To answer my query regarding crime stats, I Googled and got this.

Don't know if the Telegraph is considered a rag or not, but several other Googled sources intimate that the Police service is fudging or burying some stats so as to make the figures more acceptable to the public, I would presume.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12112024/Violent-crime-jumps-27-in-new-figures.html

Similar to our big city problems. Looks good on paper but you would not go out at night in some of these described "safe" areas.
Member
GTS 125 2010 - Midnight Blue LB10 VDE - (Stolen)
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Location: London
Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:24 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
London is a very safe city to live in. But it is dire for theft. If it is not nailed down, it will be stolen.

For example, I was pickpocketed last week. I did not report this, because I could not provide the police with any real detail on what happened. A bump into another person leaving the tube and then got up to the top of the stairs...

Cards and cash gone. So I cancelled everything, got some cash from a friend, and went home. I had zero expectation that it would be resolved.
To answer my query regarding crime stats, I Googled and got this.

Don't know if the Telegraph is considered a rag or not, but several other Googled sources intimate that the Police service is fudging or burying some stats so as to make the figures more acceptable to the public, I would presume.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12112024/Violent-crime-jumps-27-in-new-figures.html

Similar to our big city problems. Looks good on paper but you would not go out at night in some of these described "safe" areas.
The telegraph is one of the most respectable newspapers so is most likely well sourced. It all looks pretty sinister i know, but the majority I believe is gang related, which you never actually see. I've roamed about for the past 12 years day and night in all states of inebriation and locations, never had any problems (touch wood).

Modern Vespa forum, is pretty bloody fantastic isn't it?. Allowing like minded people to collaborate information across the globe..
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 4037
Location: Ogden, UT U.S.A.
Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:41 am quote
The tragedy of this situation is that there is little anyone can do from all the articles I have read and the frustration expressed here. I stand-by my original suggestion that London needs to create proper garages/lock-ups all across the city for riders to park. Scooters and motorcycles are small and it would not require a lot of space for them to have a simple, safe place people can park their bike for a little money. If the scoots/motos are off the street, they can't be stolen easily.

In Bangkok, I often parked in mall parking or hotel parking to keep my bike off the street. The Thai aren't thieves so I never felt unsafe but it was nice knowing my Vespa was in a secure spot while I would be gone for a few hours.
Addicted
Vespa GTS Super
Joined: 24 Jul 2014
Posts: 561
Location: London
Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:11 am quote
Paddlenround wrote:
The tragedy of this situation is that there is little anyone can do from all the articles I have read and the frustration expressed here. I stand-by my original suggestion that London needs to create proper garages/lock-ups all across the city for riders to park. Scooters and motorcycles are small and it would not require a lot of space for them to have a simple, safe place people can park their bike for a little money. If the scoots/motos are off the street, they can't be stolen easily.

In Bangkok, I often parked in mall parking or hotel parking to keep my bike off the street. The Thai aren't thieves so I never felt unsafe but it was nice knowing my Vespa was in a secure spot while I would be gone for a few hours.
Its a nice idea Pad but with the prices in London I cant see it happening anytime soon,

See link below for an example, this is a prime central London area but it gives you an idea.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53266672.html
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.4888s ][ Queries: 26 (0.1346s) ][ Debug on ]