Cold weather riding
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:44 pm quote
Had put the Vespa to bed for the winter but decided to wake it up for a quick errand today after sitting in an unheated garage in cold weather with the battery on a tender. When I hit the stater she did a deep hesitation before cranking with the code light lit. Light went out, and let it warm up. While riding in 33 degree weather the temperature was flashing on the cluster as if to say WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU BROKE THE DEAL! Do Vespas generally hate cold weather that much or is mine just being a bitch?

w.
Enthusiast
2016 GTS300 SS
Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:43 pm quote
Hiya!

So I'm new to the world of Vespa, but I've been riding mine non-stop here in DC as the weather has been getting pretty cold. My bike is new with only 550 miles so far but it seems to be fine in the freezing temps. I was out for about an hour long trip 3 times this weekend and the only thing I noticed was that the idle was a little rough even after warming up until it was on the road for 5-10 minutes.

One of the things that drew me to Vespa over just a Triumph T100 was that it seemed easier to ride all year long. There are tons of people on this site that ride in all weather year-round.

On a side note, how often do you ride your T100 vs. the Vespa? I think I'd like to pick one up (I've ridden them a few times and love it) in the Spring. My concern is that I would just ride the Vespa all the time and the T100 wouldn't get enough road time.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:51 pm quote
I'm thinking something is a bit up with the carb.
But it ran, so if it was mine I'd just enjoy the ride.

... He says, 8" of snow on the front lawn....
Hooked
2006 250ie
Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:57 pm quote
Re: Cold weather riding
Bald Wasp wrote:
Had put the Vespa to bed for the winter but decided to wake it up for a quick errand today after sitting in an unheated garage in cold weather with the battery on a tender. When I hit the stater she did a deep hesitation before cranking with the code light lit. Light went out, and let it warm up. While riding in 33 degree weather the temperature was flashing on the cluster as if to say WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU BROKE THE DEAL! Do Vespas generally hate cold weather that much or is mine just being a bitch?

w.
It's just warning you that it's close to freezing. Be careful out there.
Hooked
2013 GTS 300ie
Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:37 am quote
No temperature gauge on my gts, but my car does that when it gets near freezing. Oddly (to me at least), the Prius starts occasionally announcing the temperature at 37F.
Yes, it's within 5 degrees of freezing. I'm aware. We're going to be okay.

My parents' truck does the flashing-at-freezing thing. I can definitely appreciate it, especially on a morning commute.
Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:24 am quote
CaptainScoots wrote:
On a side note, how often do you ride your T100 vs. the Vespa? I think I'd like to pick one up (I've ridden them a few times and love it) in the Spring. My concern is that I would just ride the Vespa all the time and the T100 wouldn't get enough road time.
I'd say 60/40 in favor of the Vespa. If I had to sell one it would be the Triumph. I bought it because it looks so damn cool and it gave me a chance to ride with my brother when he's in town. The Triumph has more raw power but I get fidgety on it after 100 miles. I get about five times the compliments on the Vespa than the Triumph.

Both bikes serve a purpose but the Triumph may be a luxury I can't afford anymore.

w.
Addicted
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:33 am quote
At home together in the garage.

Photo0759.jpg

Enthusiast
2016 GTS300 SS
Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:21 am quote
The Bikes look great together! I love the guard dog too.

Your response about how you use them is pretty much the conclusion I came to. I'd like the T100 to go on some rides with friends, but I'd rather ride the Vespa pretty much every other time. I like being able to pick up lunch and run chores on the Vespa. Having some storage space is key.
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150
Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:40 am quote
Re: Cold weather riding
Bald Wasp wrote:

w.
Yours is just being a bitch. I have never had a problem with cold weather on either of my bikes. Moreover, Vespas are made in Pontedera, Italy where they get snow and cold.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/it/pontedera/215941/weather-forecast/215941

On that map, you can even see where the Piaggio plant is. Presently, they are getting cool temps but it will drop lower into January. It was damn cold when I went in February. While we were there I saw a ton of riders all over (Bologna had scooter riders everywhere) riding in the brittle cold.
2005 Stella 2t & 2007 GTS 250
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:30 pm quote
My GTS does the flashing temp light too when riding at 32ē or lower. No big deal. Put some premium gas in her and sheíll respond. I ride all year long this is my first winter on the GTS. My Stella loves the cold air, runs like a beast.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:04 am quote
AMA has a winter riding article at https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Home/News-Story/three-steps-to-extend-your-fall-riding-season-into-winter that might help some folks trying to figure out how to ride in the cold.
Hooked
carnaby 125
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:58 am quote
mine as started in -3 without issue and autochoke as never kicked in just starts no sign of high rev when started
Molto Verboso
Buddy Pamplona 50cc, Vespa GTV 250ie
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:05 pm quote
My GTV doesnít flash, when itís cold or stutter. Donít ride that much if itís colder than 37F. Unless itís a quick local ride. But for a while I didnít have a car and I still had to get to work so I was hopping on my Vespa at 5:30am to be at work at 7am. My issue was after a ride that long, my gloves werenít cutting it and my hand were feeezing the last five or so miles. My winter gloves are Triumph gauntlets that are lined but 30 miles out in a day thatís 35Ė37F with wind and my hands are miserable.
As for riding with motorcycles, I ride with my brother up the Great River Road in Illinois and I have no issues keeping up. Probably would have more issues on long rides. I donít know.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, S 150, GTS 250
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:24 pm quote
Admojo wrote:
My GTS does the flashing temp light too when riding at 32ē or lower. No big deal. Put some premium gas in her and sheíll respond. I ride all year long this is my first winter on the GTS. My Stella loves the cold air, runs like a beast.
+1
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:05 pm quote
I have been riding in temps last week it was 15F here in NYC. I haven't seen any flashing ligght, maybe my GTS doesn't have that feature.
I ride as long as it isn't snowing or as long as the winds don't go over a certain speed. Riding when it is windy and crossing the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge etc and feeling like you are being pushed over as the windshield acts like a sail at times makes it interesting.
But cold weather seems to be fine for the Vespa so far it has held up well for me.
That guard dog is really cool, vespa/triumph are good additions but the dog is the cool one in that pic .
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3851s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0647s) ][ Debug on ]