Which Fuel Pump Should i go with?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
Px200
Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:12 am quote
I m running 60mm Flowed Crank and 210 Mhr and full other stuff. I am planning to increase my Carb 30 mm to 35mm and time to add Fuel Pump but ı have no idea about Lt/h?

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 16.05.24.png
DELL`ORTO 55lt/h ıs ıt okey?

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 16.18.35.png
Or MIKUNI 20 liters/h?

Hooked
vba vespa 210, API monza230
Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 am quote
14ltr mikuni

image.jpeg

Hooked
Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:13 am quote
Return line

image.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:17 pm quote
I use one like Ssteam177. I don't have a return line, I have a link/bypass between the in and out with a restrictor in the line. The restrictor I'm using is the little screw-on bit on the end of a spark plug... any smaller and it seems to flood too easily.
All of these pumps supply more than you need, which is why you have to deal with excess fuel with a return or bypass.
Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm quote
I am thinking on putting a pump too, cause I am experiencing starvation when in reserve and a bit lower. I was thinking to use the new plastic Mikuni pump that Piaggio uses on all newer models. I have seen it on the 50cc Runner RST, being used directly from the tank to the carb, so I am assuming there's no flooding issues. The only question I have is to where I put the vacuum tube. On the Runner the vacuum is between the reed valve and crank. First of all, I don't want to drill my cases. Will it work directly on the carb or the manifold?? I am still using the "disc valve" system. Any experiences??
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:59 pm quote
Why not tap in a hose barb into your inlet manifold?
Banned
2:6
Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:33 pm quote
I feed the carb from a tee at the top of the return line. that way:
1. you get gravity feed with a constant height from about the top of the tank
2. if you leave the fuel on it will only drain what's in the line, no risk of dumping the whole tank or flooding.

on the down side it takes 5 kicks or so to prime it if it's not run in a while.
Hooked
Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:19 pm quote
SaFiS wrote:
I am thinking on putting a pump too, cause I am experiencing starvation when in reserve and a bit lower. I was thinking to use the new plastic Mikuni pump that Piaggio uses on all newer models. I have seen it on the 50cc Runner RST, being used directly from the tank to the carb, so I am assuming there's no flooding issues. The only question I have is to where I put the vacuum tube. On the Runner the vacuum is between the reed valve and crank. First of all, I don't want to drill my cases. Will it work directly on the carb or the manifold?? I am still using the "disc valve" system. Any experiences??
It is well documented the large frames run weak at less than half tank
Hooked
Vespa PX200e
Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:00 am quote
I'm using a Gilera runner fuel pump. No issues & easy to come by
Hooked
1980 Vespa P200E
Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:01 pm quote
I'm running an electric fuel pump on my '80 P200 w/Polini 208 and Polini 28mm PWK. It's been a great setup and runs strong even to the point of the tank being almost completely empty.

It's a Facet Posi Flo 60304 made for carbed ATV's. It only pushes 2 psi max so it doesn't overpower the PWK's float.

It's wired via a relay and switch and I have a digital voltmeter to keep an eye on the (very small) 4ah battery. I was originally worried that the charging system wouldn't keep up with the fuel pump's draw but I've been running this setup for six months + now and many many miles and I've never needed to charge the battery. The voltmeter reads 14+ volts at mid to high RPM's and the system has been rock solid.

Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:06 am quote
Resurrecting an old thread, anybody try one of these?
niz76 wrote:
I'm running an electric fuel pump on my '80 P200 w/Polini 208 and Polini 28mm PWK. It's been a great setup and runs strong even to the point of the tank being almost completely empty.

It's a Facet Posi Flo 60304 made for carbed ATV's. It only pushes 2 psi max so it doesn't overpower the PWK's float.

It's wired via a relay and switch and I have a digital voltmeter to keep an eye on the (very small) 4ah battery. I was originally worried that the charging system wouldn't keep up with the fuel pump's draw but I've been running this setup for six months + now and many many miles and I've never needed to charge the battery. The voltmeter reads 14+ volts at mid to high RPM's and the system has been rock solid.

Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:37 am quote
This thread kind've died off, but I installed a self-regulating Dellorto fuel pump on my FrankenSprint a few months ago now with no external regulator or return flow valve or anything and it's been rock solid. This is a motor that's currently putting out about 22 HP with a 34mm PWK, and it's fine from idle straight through to WOT.

If you haven't committed to anything yet, I strongly recommend it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:18 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
This thread kind've died off, but I installed a self-regulating Dellorto fuel pump on my FrankenSprint a few months ago now with no external regulator or return flow valve or anything and it's been rock solid. This is a motor that's currently putting out about 22 HP with a 34mm PWK, and it's fine from idle straight through to WOT.

That's great! Doesn't appear to be widely available but still. Certainly beats the pita that is setting up a bypass.
Ossessionato
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:13 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
chandlerman wrote:

That's great! Doesn't appear to be widely available but still. Certainly beats the pita that is setting up a bypass.
You're telling the guy who lived with the PITA that was fitting an automotive low pressure regulator into his fuel system to avoid setting up a bypass

I was a little specious when I first ordered it, but am now completely sold on it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:13 pm quote
Yes... that did seem like a special level of commitment!
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:13 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:

That looks interesting, they also appear to have a bypass. https://www.accelerationkarting.com/RighettiFuelReservoir
Ossessionato
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:28 am quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
That looks interesting, they also appear to have a bypass. https://www.accelerationkarting.com/RighettiFuelReservoir
Yeah, but for the price of the bypass, you're halfway to the price of the pump, and if you're building motors that need a fuel pump, you should be able to afford the extra $25 for the ideal solution.
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 am quote
chandlerman wrote:
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Yeah, but for the price of the bypass, you're halfway to the price of the pump, and if you're building motors that need a fuel pump, you should be able to afford the extra $25 for the ideal solution.
I was thinking more for people putting in an electric fuel pump. I was thinking so I wouldnít have to try and drill my casing on a assembled motor.
Ossessionato
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:55 am quote
Just drill the cases and be done. You can tap it for the nipple and close it off with a bolt if you ever want to go back.

After all, there's no such thing as a Concourse Restoration Stella
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:16 am quote
chandlerman wrote:
Just drill the cases and be done. You can tap it for the nipple and close it off with a bolt if you ever want to go back.

After all, there's no such thing as a Concourse Restoration Stella
Not cracking the P200 cases to drill them, it was a fresh build. That little container looks like a bottle with a over flow. Pump keeps it full and returns extra to tank. I just canít bring myself to dead head a pump, with no flow when the float is closed. I was thinking a fuel filter with two outlets could be used. Route one to carb, a second to tank. Should act as a small reservoir to feed float bowl full.
Ossessionato
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:40 am quote
Oh, yeah! I forgot you got the P200 motor for it.

I'd probably do it anyway, just vacuum as I drilled, plus pull the cylinder to get something in there to catch what got through, but I also realize not everyone is as gonzo as I am about this stuff .
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:35 pm quote
Christopher, is your pump going to run the whole time? And where/how are you going to add a return feed to the tank?
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 150
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:38 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
Christopher, is your pump going to run the whole time? And where/how are you going to add a return feed to the tank?
I donít have any answers just thoughts at the moment, exploring options. An electric pump doesnít require drilling the case and could be mounted under the tank in the cavity easy enough. A person really just needs a small tank with an overflow, for the pump to feed. Keep the tank full and the extra goes back to the main tank. When you stop an electric pump or cause rotor lock it draws maximum current, not a good thing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:56 pm quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Ginch wrote:
I donít have any answers just thoughts at the moment, exploring options. An electric pump doesnít require drilling the case and could be mounted under the tank in the cavity easy enough. A person really just needs a small tank with an overflow, for the pump to feed. Keep the tank full and the extra goes back to the main tank. When you stop an electric pump or cause rotor lock it draws maximum current, not a good thing.
Is there a pressure switch available for electric fuel pumps? Would be nice to simply only turn it on when your secondary reservoir is low. A while ago I was thinking that the float bowl from an SU carb could be utilised as a reservoir. They have a decent float needle, can be bought as a separate item from the carb itself, and have a mounting point that could be utilised in a custom situation.
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:34 am quote
You could certainly get a float switch that would cause the pump to activate only when the bowl was low. If the pump was noticeable at all while riding, though, I think the constant on-off clicking would drive you nuts after about five miles, though.

Of course, I say this from a position of complete ignorance, never having run an electric fuel pump myself
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:39 am quote
chandlerman wrote:
... the constant on-off clicking would drive you nuts...
You mean over the BRRAAAP noise?

Ossessionato
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:48 am quote
LOL!

I knew I was going to get some crap for that and I know it sounds dumb, but Solenoids have a funny way of making themselves heard and felt, even when you wouldn't think it's possible.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:52 am quote
My first car was a 1953 Morris Minor. It had an SU fuel pump with points. I always found the noise it made comforting... because when you couldn't hear it any more, you coasted to the side of the road, got out the hammer, slid under the back of the car and gave it a light tap. Then off you'd go. Until next time!
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:55 am quote
Hah!

My dad had an Austin-Healy in the early 60's when he was in the navy. The exhaust would constantly vibrate loose, so he'd take it onto the docks and get one of the machinist mates to weld it back on about every two weeks.

They don't make cars like that any more...for good reason.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1663s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0364s) ][ Debug on ]