Vespa GTS 2007 - Present...
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2013 Vespa GTS 300
Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:06 pm quote
I'm looking to buy a used GTS 250 or 300 and I'm aware recent models have ABS brakes, however most of those recent models are more than I want to spend. Most of the scooters I'm seeing are 2006-2012 - all prior to the release of ABS brakes. Question is... are there any notable differences I should be aware of between any of those models? Or should I just look for any year model with the lowest mileage???

Thanks!
Hooked
1969 Vespa Rally 180, 2014 Yamaha Bolt 950, 2015 Vespa Primavera 150, 2015 Honda Grom 125
Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:01 pm quote
ABS is nice on a scooter, but not a necessity, in my opinion anyhow. I have owned a few with no ABS ('69/'70 Rally, '09S, '08GTS & '15 Primavera) and the other half has a new 300 with ABS & traction control. You'll notice the difference if you generally ride in wet or hilly conditions, but otherwise, I doubt you'll notice much difference missing either.

Don't let ABS stop you from finding a scooter that you love in your price range. Yes, it's nice, but there are plenty of rides out there, a few years old, in great shape that will do just as much good in your life! And yes, I would try and find the most mechanically sound, lower mileage scooter in good cosmetic shape as you can. Make sure you do your homework on a good deal, post here if you find one you love and people will always be willing to give you their opinion. Best of luck to you!
2013 Vespa GTS 300
Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:45 am quote
So for example, a 2006 vs a 2010 model... there's really no difference??? Vespa didn't do anything to the GTS until the addition of ABS?

Here's one listing I've had my eye on:
http://www.dmoto.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=2613830

KBB says retail value of a 2007 Vespa GTS 250 in excellent condition is $3,077. I understand an older Vespa with low mileage doesn't exactly follow KBB, but this listing is $600 more plus they want TTL AND a dealer setup fee!

Is this price reasonable???
Molto Verboso
2016 Vespa GTS300ie Settantesimo
Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:57 am quote
Re: Vespa GTS 2007 - Present...
cmeeks wrote:
I'm looking to buy a used GTS 250 or 300 and I'm aware recent models have ABS brakes, however most of those recent models are more than I want to spend. Most of the scooters I'm seeing are 2006-2012 - all prior to the release of ABS brakes. Question is... are there any notable differences I should be aware of between any of those models? Or should I just look for any year model with the lowest mileage???

Thanks!
I agree with the sentiments expressed by Jes.

I would add that most of the changes that have occurred on the GTS models have been under the hood and it's worth buying as new a model as you can afford. As the bike model year gets newer, there are fewer issues with them as Vespa refined the engines, electrics and some other mechanical parts.
Hooked
P200
Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am quote
cmeeks wrote:
So for example, a 2006 vs a 2010 model... there's really no difference??? Vespa didn't do anything to the GTS until the addition of ABS?

KBB says retail value of a 2007 Vespa GTS 250 in excellent condition is $3,077. I understand an older Vespa with low mileage doesn't exactly follow KBB, but this listing is $600 more plus they want TTL AND a dealer setup fee!

As a technician, I'd pay the extra to buy from a (good) dealer if you can't do your own work. Sure, the stuff you're looking at on Craigslist is cheaper, but the majority of them have probably never had any maintenance besides oil changes...if they were lucky. I've had customers crying in the showroom because they thought they got a screaming deal and I throw a huge maintenance quote at them. The maintenance isn't bad if you spread it out over the years you own it, but when the previous owner doesn't do it.. it adds up, fast! I see it all the time. If you prepare yourself for the initial cost of ownership, any of those older GTS'es can feel just as good as one off the showroom floor.

You can probably get the dealer down a bit, I'm sure. It does have good tires and that exhaust is expensive and won't blow gaskets like the stock one. Do be sure they've done the belt and roller service, as 10yr old rubber isn't the greatest.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:41 am quote
Higher mileage is a bit better. Not excessive but these bikes like to be ridden. My LX has over 40,000 miles. It started to run better when i got rid of my car and 2 other scooters and started to ride it more. Bought a used Vino to haul things and do short trips. IMHO the older bikes are made better. Most people do very little maintenance. The used Vino ('07) had all of it's original stuff. Had 4,500 miles on it. I got the guy down but had to put new belt and rollers, tires, fluid changes. I'm not trusting 8yr old stuff. Got it in 2015 and it's a '07. rubber degrades over time. Good luck.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am quote
I'm going to disagree with Judy on one point (which is rare for me) - a very low mileage older scoot should not put you off in any way. I bought my 2008 in late 2014 with only 300 miles on the clock. Changed out the perishables and it's run like a top since.

One major difference in the earlier GTS (up to 2008) is the dash. They transitioned from the digital dash on the older models to the analog (a big step back IMO). On the older models, you don't have to worry about changing separate clock battery (a total PITA), you also get a thermometer, digital tach, trip meter.

2008 Vespa GTS dash.jpg
Gen 1 Dash - The Original and Best one

2009 GTS dash.jpg
Gen 2 Dash - This one appeared on 2009 models

2015 GTS dash.jpg
Gen 3 - This is the latest one and better than Gen 2

Hooked
1969 Vespa Rally 180, 2014 Yamaha Bolt 950, 2015 Vespa Primavera 150, 2015 Honda Grom 125
Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:27 am quote
cmeeks wrote:

Yes, I think that price is reasonable for that bike, but being it's used, you can likely get them down a little on it, especially because they want additional fees. There is no room for dealers on new Vespas, but used, you generally have a little wiggle room. You should pay tax & title on top of that, but there should be no dealer setup fees. Those are charged on new bikes. I would walk away from any dealer trying to charge me that on a used bike... They're no uncrating it or putting it together so that's just a silly way to make extra cash off of you. I know of a dealer who charges extra because they always do a fresh oil change, so they take an oil change and a look over and slap a $499 price tag on it. Absurd!

If you're wanting a red one, I have a friend here in Florida looking to sell a '13 Red Super Sport 300, she's asking just under $4k. Private sale, so you'll pay tax and title at your DMV. Under 1,000 miles I think. I personally did the last oil change on it, and it seems to be in really good mechanical shape. Has a topbox and a I think a windscreen.

But I would agree with whomever said, buying from a dealer is nice sometimes if you don't do your own maintenance because often times, instead of negotiating the price, you can get them to throw in a service or two (interval service, 6k miles etc.) Also, dealers generally have given the bike a thorough once over so it's a boost of confidence for you. There are drawbacks to private party sales, and drawbacks to dealer sales though. If you're close to a dealer and feel that a private sale is fine and you can get your bike in for service with them, then I wouldn't be too scared of a private party sale. But ride the bike first, make sure you have a good feeling about it before ponying up the cash!
Addicted
Bea 2007 LX150.
Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 am quote
Sometimes dealers that sell used may be selling "on consignment." for a private party and then they will take a cut of the sale. It's best to ask if it is dealer property or on consignment. If a consignment sale and if it has been sitting here awhile go in with your best offer. They may just take it.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 am quote
CC I think were both right. A lot depends IMHO on whether or not you do your own wrenching. I don't, so things can get costly. I also change out things earlier than most people. Even tho i have free towing (pay $49 a year for it) i don't like to break down. Many places here, don't have safe spots to pull over. Hence my belt gets swapped out at 6,000 miles regardless. When i bought my Vino nothing had been done to it. It's a '07 and at the time it was 8yrs old. Paid $1000 for it and then had to buy a new battery, tires,belt.rollers,oil filter and changed out all the fluids. Also had to swap out some O rings. Put about another $1,000 into it. That included having the Yamaha dealer doing the work and buying the stuff from them. I've since found a mechanic that's reasonable and does good work, so i'll pay only $40 a hour for labor.
Sometimes it's cheaper since i bring my Vespa there. My Vespa doesn't do well when it sits. Vino's much better. If i had the choice of buying one that was up to date on the maintenance but had more miles i'd go for that one, rather than one that had low miles but needed to have the routine maintenance done.
Ossessionato
BV350, GTS250
Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:01 am quote
Also, be prepared to spend some money on repairs. When I recently bought my 2009 GTS250 I immediately had to replace both tires, belt and rollers. Better safe than stuck!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 am quote
Syd wrote:
Also, be prepared to spend some money on repairs. When I recently bought my 2009 GTS250 I immediately had to replace both tires, belt and rollers. Better safe than stuck!
Agree. Be realistic about costs of ownership. Replacement of tires, belts, rollers, filters, lubricant, brake pads, and coolant are not repairs. They are routine maintenance. Yes, determine the status of maintenance on the bike before you purchase it and take into account the cost of any and all maintenance items which are due. Tires are one to be especially aware of. Replacing a set is a significant cost and inexperienced riders sometimes just look at the tread wear. A low mileage bike will always have tires with tread, but tires over 5 years old are about due for replacement. Learn how to read the date code on the tires.
Sponsor
Granturismo, BV250, Quota, Dragster, MP3
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:11 pm quote
"Prices exclude dealer setup, taxes, title, freight and licensing and are subject to change," is boilerplate, and automatically appears on all their vehicle ads. I seriously would be surprised if they were charging setup or freight on a used bike. You are going to pay tax, title, and tag no matter where you get the bike.

As far as the price, KBB can't tell you where to find this exact scooter for whatever they say it's worth. There are some worth more, and some worth less. This is a very desireable color, and does have some nice add-ons. Look at a few more, and you will get a better idea of what the local market values these bikes at.

If those are the actual miles, and not one of the trip odometers, I wouldn't do anything except ride it. Despite what you might read, you don't need to change the original belt, rollers, fluids, etc. on a bike this old when the miles are this low. If the oil is clean, I would ride it at least a couple thousand miles before changing it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:39 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
As far as the price, KBB can't tell you where to find this exact scooter for whatever they say it's worth. There are some worth more, and some worth less. This is a very desireable color, and does have some nice add-ons. Look at a few more, and you will get a better idea of what the local market values these bikes at.
What you say is true - to a point. The problem with looking at local ads to determine value is that those are asking prices. Most of those scooters will sell for less than that. KBB or NADA values are based on actual sales or trade-ins. Yes, they are averages and some will be higher while others will be lower. Still, KBB and NADA average trade-in (wholesale) and average retail are useful indices to use for reference. It is one place where buyer and seller can be looking at the same number.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Enamel Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2602s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0815s) ][ Debug on ]