How to remove GTS stock grips
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:38 am quote
Hi, I am replacing the GTS stock grips with artiete alu rub grips. I was planning to have it done at a local shop but I have just installed a sport seat and a new rear rack by myself this afternoon and am "feeling" competent at DIY. I would really appreciate it if someone can provide me with a tutorial on how to remove the stock grips, and how to install the new ones. I am also installing bar end mirrors and weights. Thanks
Enthusiast
GTS 250 ie Super
Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:08 pm quote
On other scoots and bikes I have just cut the old ones off and used soap to install the new. I'm not sure if Vespas are any different.
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:59 pm quote
I use a knitting kneedle and some wd40. Work the needle into a gap and spray the wd40 in to dissolve the old glue. The should then slide off.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:01 pm quote
Lots of sillicone get and elbow grease. Cutting as a last resort.
Hooked
946, Sprint 150, PX 150.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:02 pm quote
The best product is 3M adhesive and asphalt removal spray. Got my grips off in a a few seconds.
Works like a charm and useful later on when you get tar on the paintwork. Removes it with ease.

1483913069801-1610884357.jpg

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 pm quote
If available, compressed air is the quickest, cleanest and easiest method. Otherwise a long thin screwdriver (or very strong knitting needle, as above) and WD-40 does it just fine.

New grips depending on type may need the radially projecting end of the rotating throttle tube to be cut down. It's plastic, so a sharp penknife does this OK.

Also, you may need one or more washers when re-fitting bar-ends to prevent the bar-ends binding on the new grips.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:48 pm quote
if you don't care about saving them a razor blade and just 1 cut lengthwise, then peel them off, clean the grip area. apply grip glue and slide the new ones on.

if you want to save the old ones wd-40 or similar sprayed into between the grip and bar and then work them back and forth till they slide off. CLEAN REALLY GOOD then grip glue and new grips.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:11 am quote
Think we used some compressed air and WD40. Need more than one pperson. Somebody to do the comprssed air and WD and another to tr and work the grip off. Good luckOne of them had to be cut off. They aren't that expensive. Think it was the throttle one that was a major PIA. I put the Piaggio ribbed ones on mine. The stock LX ones were horrible when it rained. They were slippery when wet. Ribbed ones came stock on the LT 150. Best thing i ever did was putting the ribbed ones on. Good luck
Enthusiast
2002 ET4 150
Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 am quote
On all my motorcycles and vespa I have cut off the old ones, then just used compressed air and elbow grease to get the new ones one, no need for adhesives or other lubes.

My only trick (if you can call it that) is to pull the new grip on as far as you can get it, then hit the end of the grip over and over to inch it on. I now use really soft rubber grips and they collapse really easily when I hit the end, but ti still inches them on. Be patient, do it for a few minutes, and it's not so bad.

I also use compressed air to speed up the process. It works great, and does zero damage, especially on old perhaps slightly brittle throttle tubes. I'd be nervous sticking a screwdriver down there...

Combine the 2 and it usually takes about 5 minutes to get a tight set of grips on.

If you want soft but grippy grips, try Oury grips. They are about $12 on amazon prime, and they are what I use on all 3 of my bikes. I put them on my fiance's Vespa and she loves them. They are the plushest rubber grips I have used in my 10 years of daily commuting. I should get paid for as much as I have recommended these on my different bike forums...
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1137s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0464s) ][ Debug on ]