Leftover deals? (New member looking for 1st Vespa)
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
GTS 300
Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 pm quote
Hello all

New member here from Southern California (Murrieta/Temecula area). I've had motorcycles/scooters all my adult life and currently have a Kawasaki Vulcan S.

It's now 2017 and was hoping to get a deal on a leftover 2016 (even 2015?) Vespa GTS 300 ABS (the one with a rear rack). What discounts can I expect? What have you guys have seen/experienced?

It looks like Vespa has reduced rate financing so this is a good start.
Quote:
0% for 36 months or 1.99% for 60 months on all 2016 models. Offer valid 01/01/2017 through 03/31/2017, on Vespa MY16 only.
http://www.vespa.com/us_EN/promotions.html

Thanks in advance!
Ossessionato
3 X 74 Rallys, 66 Bluebadge, 76 ET3, 80 ET3, 80 P200, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:02 pm quote
Check out Vespa Motorsports by the SD airport. Take the Mrs and have lunch while you're down there and see what kinds of deals TC or Alex can give you.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:04 pm quote
As is often the case, the MV Wiki has a good take on Vespa price negotiation - i.e. there's not much room for haggling:
FAQ: How negotiable is the price of a modern Vespa?
Addicted
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:22 pm quote
Purchasing a Vespa
Vespa gets a high price for their Classic Brand. I purchased
a year end model GTS300 with a Vespa $500 off incentive.
My dealer had low interest financing with Sheffield Financial.

The best deal would be a low miles used Vespa 1-2 years
old from a private party that just did not get out and use it.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
Hooked
BV 350 & GTS 250 (previously owned Ruckus, Zuma 125, Burgman 400, & GTS 300)
Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:06 pm quote
Dealer Fees
If you are set on purchasing a brand new one, there are dealers out there that will not charge you a dealer or set up fee (or I would try to negotiate those fees down).

I live in Florida and know of 2 dealers where you can purchase without adding on a dealer fee or dealer set up fees...even freight costs. Those dealers want your business and for you to return for servicing your ride. That's where they make their money since the manufacturers are pretty tight.

And if you have the cash and want to save money on depreciation (which is the largest cost of owning any depreciating asset - car/motorcycle/scooter/RV/boat, etc.), I would recommend hunting around for a used one (Just as Bob Copeland has recommended). Try to buy it for what a dealer would pay for it as a trade-in. It might be hard to find a well-loved and taken care of GTS 300 though. However, it can happen with due diligence.

And you can always do what I did after I mistakenly got rid of my GTS 300: Buy a used GTS 250 or consider a GT 200 (if you don't mind having a carb).

If you have never rode a GTS 300 before, you might want to consider test riding one. They are a sweet ride and I could cruise at 75-77 mph (GPS verified) on the interstate highways...as long as it wasn't windy and hilly. If I remember correctly, speeds out to Temecula were fast and hilly. Or at least one hilly area. It's been awhile since I've been out that way. The back roads, county & country roads, twistys, and city/suburban sprawl is where the GTS 300 shines brightly. I really enjoyed cruising at 60-65 mph and I highly recommend having a medium-wide windscreen for traveling at higher speeds and long distance riding.

On the interstate highways, I felt like I was driving a small hatchback with not much passing power when the posted speed limit was 65/70 mph. However, it was still fun! The smaller wheels are scary at first but once you get used to it, it's a hoot. And if you have crappy roads, the ride can be quite a bit bumpy. Plus, there is no downshifting for more power when climbing hills/mountains. I would end up moving over to the slow lane with the big rigs. However, I didn't mind since I could ride for long periods and not get sore. It's a very cheap, comfortable touring ride and when you arrive to your destination, you can pretty much ride and park it anywhere.

It really depends on what kind of riding you like, of course.

I, myself, am now testing out the Piaggio BV 350 and find the extra power & top end with its larger wheels sucking me in. It's growing on me...but my heart is still in love with my previous GTS 300. If the BV 350 doesn't satisfy me long term, I'm buying a brand new GTS 300.

The BV 350 feels more like a small, automatic motorcycle with a very mature and planted track. And the GTS 300 feels more like a scooter on steroids. The small wheels on a GTS make it a much more playful, nimble, and fun.

The BV 350 makes me feel more like an adult...and the GTS 300 makes me feel more like a kid.

Sorry for the long post! The addiction is real...
Hooked
2010 Vespa super,2016 vespa 300 1979 p200 with sidecar 1958 cushman eagle with sidecar Inder trailer
Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 pm quote
Keep a check in the for sale section of mv
There are allways great deals in the for sale section of this fourm
. Capt Gary
Lurker
GTS 300
Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:47 am quote
Thanks all for the initial responses.

So it looks like discounts are ZERO to minimal on the Vespa brand. I do see some 2016 GTSs on cycletrader.com for $5,999 from Temple City Powersports in San Gabriel, Ca which is a bit of a drive for me (and who knows what the add-on fees are).

I emailed the two closest dealership from my home base yesterday but they haven't responded yet. They are:

Vespa Malcolm Smith Motorsports - Riverside, CA
Moto Forza - Escondido, CA

A couple of you suggested the one in San Diego (Vespa Motorsport) which is ~70 miles away but rest assured that I will scope it out especially if the deal is great.
Drift Unit SC

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:32 am quote
the race to the bottom is never a good thing for the brand or dealers.

If you are in the market for a new bike, find a dealer who you feel comfortable with, work with them and you will get a good deal and the bike you want. All the dealers get the bikes at the same price. It is true the margins are thin.
If there are incredible discount deals to be had, it makes the dealers little to no money, and its just to move a bike, get it off flooring and out of inventory because new bikes are coming in. That brings customers from all over and does little to foster a repeat service parts or another major bike customer.
2016 GTS300 SS
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:56 pm quote
I picked up my 2016 GTS SS in November for a pretty good deal. I ended up right at $7,000. That includes all the setup, freight, taxes, and title fees. Considering those add-ons come out to about $1,200 on bikes in Virginia - I would say I saved between $800-1,000. I had several dealers offer me $600-850 off from around the country. I ended up taking the super low financing since it was less than what my investments earn. I was willing to have it shipped from anywhere in the country but my local dealership was willing to match my offers. Also, I really like them so it was nice to give them my business.

I'd call all around the country and find your best deal. Most places will ship for around $350.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Aprilia SC300, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:36 pm quote
zman wrote:
So it looks like discounts are ZERO to minimal on the Vespa brand.
As others have commented, there is not a lot of margin in scooters. On the other hand, my experience has been that dealers have some flexibility - especially in circumstances such as clearance of past years stock. I purchased my 2015 GTS/ABS in 2016 at significant savings off the price of a 2016 GTS. Vespa/Paggio frequently has National promotions which have included free accessories, MSRP discounts, and reduced financing costs. As you said, the current promotion is 0% interest for 36 months on all 2016 Vespa scooters.
Hooked

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:34 am quote
I'd have to suggest AF1 Racing in Austin. They are fantastic to deal with and have a great selection to choose from. They are known to have deals on scooters from time to time. I do believe that they can organize shipping to your doorstep as well.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 am quote
I bought my LX from CA. Vespa Santa Barbra. Had it shipped over (by air) and it was still cheaper than buying it here. Didn't have to pay all of the fees they tack on here. However i don't think CA will be the same. I'd check before you buy one out of state and have it shipped. You might be paying more. The only reason i say this is years ago when my nephew (not by blood) was heading to USC Irvine i was going to change his phone number to a CA one ( people still had land lines then) and it was going to jack my phone bill up by $15 a month. CA taxes and battery disposal fees. Needless to say he didn't get a CA number.
Sponsor
2006 Granturismo 218L, 2001 Screaming Yellow Zonker 172
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:25 pm quote
There are always deals to be had on leftover inventory, and a lot depends on what incentives the dealer is getting from the manufacturer, whether or not the color is a popular one, and how long it's been sitting on the dealer's floor. After a certain period, the dealer has to either pay it off or start paying interest, and that's when they get anxious about getting a unit off their floorplan. Some colors just don't sell as well, so the dealer will do more to get rid of one, especially if he/she's sitting on a couple units that are the same color.
Dealers in different markets will often have different policies as well, so it pays to figure out how far you are willing to go to look, and then contact different dealers. No matter what you may believe or have been told based on how the automobile market works, if you waste a lot of a local dealer's time and then purchase the scooter elsewhere, you may find the wait in service is a little longer than you might expect, so keep that in mind if you go 300 miles to save $100.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:18 pm quote
joeschmoe wrote:
I'd have to suggest AF1 Racing in Austin. They are fantastic to deal with and have a great selection to choose from. They are known to have deals on scooters from time to time. I do believe that they can organize shipping to your doorstep as well.
Heck, this time of the year it can be a lovely ride from Austin to So Cal. I've done it more than once.
GT 60
Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 pm quote
Hit up Craigslist
There are a ton of almost new Vespas on Craigslist. I've purchased two in the last few months. You don't have to pay the fees, hardly any tax, and the depreciation is already taken care of so you get it for way cheaper
Check this bad boy out, and there's many more out there. Lots of people buy scoots and barely use them.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/5946157900.html
Enthusiast
2009 VESPA S 150, 2015 VESPA Sprint 50, 2015 Sprint 150, 2004 Ducati S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS
Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:30 pm quote
Also, don't rule out a slightly used scooter from your dealer. I bought 3 Vespa's during 2016, 2 were 'used' and one was 'new', the 'used' scooters (a 2015 Sprint 150 and a 2009 S150) both had less than 300 miles on them and looked virtually 'as new'. The savings was significant and I've had zero issues with either scooter. It does take a little patience and you may not get the exact color or configuration you might want, so you have to decide is the trade off is worth it, in my case it was. I do like buying from a dealer, simply to know there is an interested party I can talk with if I do have a problem in the future.
GT 60
Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:33 pm quote
jaldeborgh wrote:
Also, don't rule out a slightly used scooter from your dealer. I bought 3 Vespa's during 2016, 2 were 'used' and one was 'new', the 'used' scooters (a 2015 Sprint 150 and a 2009 S150) both had less than 300 miles on them and looked virtually 'as new'. The savings was significant and I've had zero issues with either scooter. It does take a little patience and you may not get the exact color or configuration you might want, so you have to decide is the trade off is worth it, in my case it was. I do like buying from a dealer, simply to know there is an interested party I can talk with if I do have a problem in the future.
Good point. Like this gem, right across the bay from me. 101 miles on it.
If I were in the market for a scoot, I'd go buy this. At a dealer, but no fees. Just tax

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcd/5953803529.html
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Scarves   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0944s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0302s) ][ Debug on ]