NSR--Sledding!!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2009 LX50
Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:04 pm quote
Got a chance to do some great sledding with our friend's kids on New Year's Day. It was complete with thrills, chills, and spills ( a few of them tumbling ones). Then we broke out the thermoses of homemade hot cocoa. Life was very good.

Judy, we were sledding in Clapp Park, right across from your old school!
Ossessionato
2013 Hodna NC700XD
Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:43 am quote
Sounds like a perfect snow day!

Ms. Strick and I used to go sledding with our boys when they were younger. Now that they are teenagers, they don't sled anymore.

Next snowstorm, I might get my fat butt out there on a coaster and show these kids what sliding down a hill on a piece of metal with no brakes and steering is really about!
Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e, 2002 Vespa ET4, 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 am quote
I love playing in the snow! I got to spend Christmas Day skiing with my nephew. He's a Sophomore at McGill University in Montreal so I don't get to ski with him as much as we used to. Lots of snow in the Sierra Nevada mountains this year.

-Craig

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:46 am quote
TG, ah the memories. Thanks and glad it's still a park. It's got a pretty decent hill if i remember correctly. Don't miss the cold since i can't ski or sled anymore. Also miss Angelina's subs but not the one closest to Clapp (used to be good but not anymore). Like the one in N Adams better.
Hooked
Scarabeo 250
Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 am quote
Took possession of our family toboggan (almost 50 years old I'd guess) awhile back. Damn those things fly. I'd forgotten how much fun they were. Had to hell...BAIL... a few times.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 am quote
Give me back my ol' Flexible Flyer any day. You could actually steer that thing!
Hooked
sh150 , Suzuki s50 Blvd.
Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 pm quote
judy wrote:
TG, ah the memories. Thanks and glad it's still a park. It's got a pretty decent hill if i remember correctly. Don't miss the cold since i can't ski or sled anymore. Also miss Angelina's subs but not the one closest to Clapp (used to be good but not anymore). Like the one in N Adams better.
Judy, Angelina's in Dalton is good too, plus it's closer to Northampton, damn now my mouth is watering for a sausage grinder.
World Traveler

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:21 am quote
FLY i never used to get up that way. Good to know, tho.
Addicted
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 am quote
T'is one of those things that can be more fun than one wants to admit. Where even this (not so) old fool can look like a fool and not worry about others think.
My front yard is a decient slope where I could sled with the kids and no one was around to see. We'd build a fire in the back yard and play for hours.
Silver Streak wrote:
Give me back my ol' Flexible Flyer any day. You could actually steer that thing!
I've still got mine, according to a few family stories, if believable, mom and dad got it around 1948-1949, if not it was bought in the early 1950s when my older sister was little.
As a teen in the 1970s I, like many others, was pretty hard on it, as I had to replace the 'tail strut' (for lack of a better term) and one of the side rails. Dad wouldn't buy me a new one, likely to teach me a sense of responsibility. I got help from my high school wood shop teacher. My kids and grandkids have had the pleasure of riding it with me.

image.jpg
Sorry, no snow to show it on as we've not yet had much if any here in South Central Pa yet this winter.

Hooked
2009 LX50
Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 pm quote
Yes, the new coated styrofoam sleds are awful. They don't steer, and they just randomly spin. The plastic ones are not much better, as they barely steer and are prone to shattering. I miss our old tobaggan. We used to take that to a golf course in town and put 6 people on it then fly down the hill.

My spouse wants a flexible flyer. I think I will check out the local used sporting goods store to see if there is one there.

Now we just need to get our snow back!
Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150
Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:21 pm quote
I love those old Flexible Flyers but they are useless on the wet snow we get. Flat bottom sleds are a must.
Hooked
Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:01 am quote
Flexible flyers wow a blast from the past
As strick said not much snow in our part of the world
However my sister in Portland or. Sent me some photos and they got about ten inches
Hooked
Suzuki VanVan200, 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:49 am quote
Have these become popular in US?

http://www.stigausa.com/13-stiga-snow-racers

Early 70's , much against parents wishes, these Stiga sledges overuled the traditional wood & steel sledges over here. To the extend, that it is very rare to find a traditional sledge from anywhere, new or second hand. Loads of second hand Stigas around, they are very durable.

To be really, really honest, I think taking the largest size Stiga snowracer down a snowy hill is actually more fun than using proper downhill skies! When there's a bit of snow, the steering is quite good and it goes pretty fast...nice, car like slides

image.png

Grumpy Biker
Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:51 am quote
Get out those sleds! My sister took this video on highway 89 south of Truckee 2 days ago. There is so much snow they are using front-end loaders to clear the road.

-Craig

World Traveler

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 am quote
I loved my flying saucers. This one looks exactly like mine (except for the long line) with the dents and all. I used to scream down the hill. We had a hilly pasture across the road and i would build a ramp that got me over the road (we lived on a dirt road without much traffic) and then down the rest of the hill. Fun times. There was a rock in the middle of the upper hill and if the conditions were right i'd launch off of that. That was dangerous and i used to pray my mom wouldn't be looking out one of the windows and see me doing it.

Flying saucer.jpg

Addicted
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:27 pm quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Get out those sleds! My sister took this video on highway 89 south of Truckee 2 days ago. There is so much snow they are using front-end loaders to clear the road.

-Craig
Craig, tell your sister to be careful if she is around those front end loaders. They look big and people think they can go anywhere in the snow, but take it from me I have plowed snow with some of them over the years and those big tires are like having big toboggans on all for corners.They start sliding and even on a slight down hill slope they will just keep on sliding and you have very little control or ability to stop!

My old Yamaha with a sidecar was better on packed snow than one of those loaders!
Ossessionato
MP3 500, MP3 250, GTS 250
Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:13 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:

-Craig
Craig, tell your sister to be careful if she is around those front end loaders. They look big and people think they can go anywhere in the snow, but take it from me I have plowed snow with some of them over the years and those big tires are like having big toboggans on all for corners.They start sliding and even on a slight down hill slope they will just keep on sliding and you have very little control or ability to stop!

My old Yamaha with a sidecar was better on packed snow than one of those loaders!
I'd think a front end loader would stop pretty quick if you put the bucket down. Like, a bit past where the snow stops and the pavement begins....
Grumpy Biker
Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 pm quote
That front-end loader has chains on to help it keep traction. I've seen it clear the road from the highway to my sister's house. It's a steep climb but it has no difficulty.

-Craig

Last edited by caschnd1 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grumpy Biker
Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:27 pm quote
The snow keeps falling at Tahoe. They've moved past the front-end loaders and brought out the blowers! I can't even imagine this kind of snow.

IMG_2963.JPG

Molto Verboso
GT200 & GTS250
Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:39 am quote
caschnd1 wrote:
The snow keeps falling at Tahoe. They've moved past the front-end loaders and brought out the blowers! I can't even imagine this kind of snow.
Decades ago I rode over the senora pass the day after it was cleared. There were walls of ice and snow on either side of the road about 6' tall and, where it dropped away, you had stunning views across the Rockies. I was wearing all the clothes I had but I was still frozen to the core.
Addicted
GTV300 (wife's)
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:40 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
I'd think a front end loader would stop pretty quick if you put the bucket down. Like, a bit past where the snow stops and the pavement begins....
Yes but a few feet of pavement might be in the bucket by then!
Addicted
GTV300 (wife's)
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:41 am quote
caschnd1 wrote:
That front-end loader has chains on to help it keep traction. I've seen it clear the road from the highway to my sister's house. It's a steep climb but it has no difficulty.

-Craig
Could not see the chains in the picture, yes that would help a lot!
Addicted
GTV300 (wife's)
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:46 am quote
caschnd1 wrote:
And here in what is normally a snowy Upstate NY I have maybe a 1/4 inch of snow in the ground. Go 30 miles north and they have a few feet, snowmobilers are happier this year as last year there was almost no snow up there. They got more in one day up on the Tug Hill than they did all last winter.
Hooked
Suzuki VanVan200, 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:36 am quote
caschnd1 wrote:
That's an impressive amount of snow on the road! Nice picture.
Hooked
2009 LX50
Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:13 am quote
caschnd1 wrote:
PLEASE send some of that to the Northeast!!
Ossessionato
2013 Hodna NC700XD
Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:12 am quote
judy wrote:
I loved my flying saucers. This one looks exactly like mine (except for the long line) with the dents and all. I used to scream down the hill. We had a hilly pasture across the road and i would build a ramp that got me over the road (we lived on a dirt road without much traffic) and then down the rest of the hill. Fun times. There was a rock in the middle of the upper hill and if the conditions were right i'd launch off of that. That was dangerous and i used to pray my mom wouldn't be looking out one of the windows and see me doing it.
That's exactly what I had as a kid. Except for the rope. You could pound out the dents with a rubber mallet. Like Mocker, we'd get the heavy wet snow and a flexible flyer was no good. With a coaster you could almost fly down a hill. We set up ramps and risked bruised tailbones on the some of the landings! So much fun!
World Traveler

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:51 am quote
STRICK cool. I had a sled (2 of them) one small and a bigger one for 2up riding and a toboggan but i used the saucers the most. My dad (he was a engineer) made some blades for our Sunfish and when the conditions were right we used to take it a lake and "sail" it on the ice. Fun times
Hooked
sh150 , Suzuki s50 Blvd.
Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 am quote
TroutGirl wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:
PLEASE send some of that to the Northeast!!
If they do I hope it stays on your side of the Berkshires
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1894s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0383s) ][ Debug on ]