Buying a 2006 250GTS...have questions.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2008 Vespa LX50/2010 GTS300
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:23 am quote
I have owned an LX50 and LX150 and am now considering a 2006 250GTS which I am unfamiliar with.

Does the 2006 250 GTS have any uniques issues that I need to check? Is there anything beyond the normal maintence stuff that I would need to know...any first year production concerns?

Does it have the fuel pump, rear hub problems, etc. that other models have?

Thanks in advance
Hooked
2008 Vespa GTS 250ie
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 am quote
I'm pretty sure the 2006 has the exhaust issue.

From the MV blog:
Quote:
The GTS 250 is not without a couple of problems. The most significant problem lies in the design of the exhaust system, which is in two parts. The header pipe (sometimes called "down tube") is joined to the rest of the exhaust via a clamp, with a cylindrical gasket between the two pieces. This gasket is prone to wear, and will eventually fail. Upon failure, hot exhaust gas will leak from the joint between the two. On early GTS units (2006 and part of 2007 year models) the hot exhaust gas hits the rear brake line, and if left unchecked will melt the rear brake line, causing the rear brake to fail.

Piaggio addressed this problem in 2007 with a recall campaign. The recall procedure involved fitting an uprated clamp and a new down tube designed to deflect hot exhaust gas away from the brake line instead of toward it. The gasket itself is still prone to failure, but the result is less catastrophic than prior to the recall.

The exhaust issue was somewhat exacerbated by the fact that replacing the rear tire on the GTS requires removal of the exhaust. Some dealers (and shade-tree mechanics as well) opted to separate the exhaust from the down tube to remove the exhaust, rather than the proper procedure of removing the down tube at the header. Failure to replace the exhaust gasket during this operation (the gasket is considered a one-time-use item) would further increase the likelihood of exhaust failure down the road.

Since the recall campaign took place, far fewer incidents of exhaust failure have been noted here on Modern Vespa. This probably indicates that the uprated clamp, combined with increased awareness of the problem on the part of mechanics, has reduced the prevalence of the problem.
I do remember there was a fuel pump issue as well but I'm sure people will chime in.
Sponsor
Granturismo, BV250, Quota, Dragster, MP3
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:17 pm quote
The wiring harness on the 2006 has some issues with the positive cable where it wraps around the frame. Also, they are pretty particular as far as what size battery to install.
Then there's the usual voltage regulator and fuel pump issues. But it's a pretty good bike overall.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:31 am quote
Don't think the '06 ones had the fuel pump problem. They were recalled so the fix was/is on Piaggio's dime.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1649s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0252s) ][ Debug on ]