New (to me) GT200 and only one blue key
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GT200 & VBB 150 1963
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 pm quote
Hi everybody, I'm new around here but not new to Vespas although never had a post 80's scoot before.

I have just bought a GT200, 2004 model and am in Australia.
I have only got one blue key though and am looking at buying a new lock with a red and blue key and a code card to match.

My question is can I get the ECU re-programmed to the new keys if I have a blue key that gives me access to the ECU - i.e. vehicle is not immobilised?

I realise the original blue key will then be thrown away and hope to use the new lock and keys but will keep the red one safe.

Any options??
Gts125 and ET2
Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:03 pm quote
In exactly the same position here.
I bought from a dealer who only had a blue key so what was agreed was as follows

After proving ownership of the Scoot, the immobiliser was sent to a reputable company that read the code and supplied a master blank key encoded to that.
I then had the master cut to match my existing key.

No need to change barrels
All legit and above board.
Here in the UK that cost 70 including return postage.
My only other expenses were postage to the dealer and the cost of a local key cutter.
If I need another key, I can get it cut and programme it myself from the master.
Might be the way forward?
Sponsor
Granturismo, BV250, Quota, Dragster, MP3
Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:06 pm quote
The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to replace the CDI with the Malossi CDI. You gain 500 rpms before you hit the rev limiter, which I never hit before I changed it, so that's not as big a deal as it sounds, but you also never have to worry about keys again. You can use black keys, blue keys, or whatever you want. You can get any lockset or key blank for a modern Vespa scooter, and it will work in your scooter. By the time you calculate the cost of the new cdi and new key set, you come out way ahead with the Malossi CDI. Then you can get any blank, make a copy of the blue key, and it works perfectly. The red light will still flash on the dash, so people won't know you've switched the cdi.
Here's the part:
https://scooterpartsco.com/gt-200/gt-200-electrical/malossi-cdi-for-vespa-gt-200-other-piaggio-lc-leader
It takes about fifteen minutes to install.
GT200 & VBB 150 1963
Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:51 pm quote
One solution:
I have spoken to a dealer here in Sydney, they advised me to go to a locksmith.

One locksmith I have spoken with has the blanks and can copy the blue key to another blue key - I will not have a red key but who cares as long as I have a working spare.

Cost for cut and programming is $125 AU
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2013 Honda NC700X: 1965 Lambretta Li 125
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 pm quote
The blue key is all you need to operate the scooter. Don't lose it and you are fine.
Sponsor
Granturismo, BV250, Quota, Dragster, MP3
Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:05 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
The blue key is all you need to operate the scooter. Don't lose it and you are fine.
That is some sound advice right there.
Whatever you decide to do, do it before you need to. It's a lot cheaper and less frustrating.
My only issue with paying $125 to clone another key is that if you lose it, you have to pay $125 to get another one. So if you're the type of person who never loses keys, that's not a big deal, but if you're like someone I know who is asleep in the other room and you lose your friggin' keys all the friggin' time, and then borrow your partner's keys without letting him know and lose them too, that can be expensive, and extremely annoying to those around you.
Addicted
2006 Suzuki S40 - 1978 Puch Pinto - 2006 Piaggio BV250 (R.I.P.)
Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
That is some sound advice right there.
Whatever you decide to do, do it before you need to. It's a lot cheaper and less frustrating.
My only issue with paying $125 to clone another key is that if you lose it, you have to pay $125 to get another one. So if you're the type of person who never loses keys, that's not a big deal, but if you're like someone I know who is asleep in the other room and you lose your friggin' keys all the friggin' time, and then borrow your partner's keys without letting him know and lose them too, that can be expensive, and extremely annoying to those around you.
Tell him how you really feel Motovista
Hooked
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:44 am quote
For $30 Af1 will clone your key and send you a replacement with 1 day turn around. Postage will be high, but still might be the cheapest way to go.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=57167
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:39 am quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
For $30 Af1 will clone your key and send you a replacement with 1 day turn around. Postage will be high, but still might be the cheapest way to go.

One day turn-round to Australia? Think not...
GT200 & VBB 150 1963
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 pm quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:

Would they need my original blue key to do it - I would fear the Australian Post have far higher chance of losing it than I do!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 250ie, Scarabeo 500ie, SportCity 250, BV 500, Buddy 125
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:45 pm quote
Steviobee wrote:
Abner_Bjorn wrote:

Would they need my original blue key to do it - I would fear the Australian Post have far higher chance of losing it than I do!!
They would need a working key, doesn't matter if it is the original or the one you had cloned locally. I had an extra cloned before the cannonball and left it in the bag with my support driver.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0963s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0173s) ][ Debug on ]