Import 2001 vespa PX 200cc from Ireland to the U.S.
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 75
Location: Wexford, Ireland
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 am quote
Hi guys.

I wonder if anyone has any input regarding importing my PX into the US (NYC / NJ area) from Ireland. I am aware I could try to find one locally but this one is mine and it has sentimental value to me. It's of course a 2T manual engine.

I found the links to DOT form HS-7 and EPA form 3520-1 on this site but I have no idea what all these entails. I keep reading horror stories on the web that older bikes are being seized and destroyed at the point of entry since the EPA standards are now so stringent.

Bottom line: is it (pretty much) mission impossible?

If not and it can be done, (1) can I be certain the bike won't get seized, and (2) will it costs me a fortune, not just in importation strictly speaking but also in paperwork, fees, registration, and possible engine modification?

Any advice and suggestion welcome, I am starting to hyper-ventilate!

New.jpg

Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 3306
Location: Oceanside/ SF
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 am quote
Try searching for import threads. Its come up before. I think I remember one saying its easier if you disassemble it a bit and import it as "parts."

Once its in the States, look and see if NY will register new two stroke scooters. If they wont, you can always register through Vermont (not illegal, but kind of like putting money offshore). Use the search, I wrote a tutorial on it.
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 75
Location: Wexford, Ireland
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 am quote
Thanks MJR. I found the link. Sounds complicated a bit for me, and it might not be 100% full proof. But thanks, I'll keep in mind.
Enthusiast
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Posts: 61

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:31 am quote
1. Find a shipping agent.
2. If LCL you'll also need an ISPM-15 certified crate (or a steel crate to be fabricated)
3. Fill DOT and EPA forms (HS-7 and 3520-1 respectively).
4. Find a broker and give them aforementioned documentation and proof of ownership (your shipping agent may have a broker in-house or maybe able to recommend one).
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 1333
Location: Florence, OR
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:28 am quote
I don't know about getting it to the states, but once here I was going to mention MJs most excellent thread about registering in Vermont for a plate, then it's easy to transfer to your state because it's essentially legal and registered somewhere, so it's just a transfer. How to Guide- Apply for a Vermont plate

I followed the procedures for a scooter with no papers and it worked like a charm. Cost $53 for a year, that includes the plate and everything.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 75
Location: Wexford, Ireland
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:59 am quote
seigiorni wrote:
1. Find a shipping agent.
2. If LCL you'll also need an ISPM-15 certified crate (or a steel crate to be fabricated)
3. Fill DOT and EPA forms (HS-7 and 3520-1 respectively).
4. Find a broker and give them aforementioned documentation and proof of ownership (your shipping agent may have a broker in-house or maybe able to recommend one).
Yes, thanks, I saw that earlier and will try to locate a shipping agent or the like. I don't know where to "find" all these things... this is a complicated situation for me, right in the middle of a very difficult family situation, etc. so I need a simple solution. Aside from selling my dear scooter though
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1875

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:02 am quote
The legendary late great Rolf Soltau was telling me a story how he sneaked his immaculate black T5 to the US in pieces then reassembled it once everything arrived.

I would think shipping would be at least $1k? Iím going to guess import fees would be at least another $300? Using a broker will probably cost another $200+? As a heads up, there are very few PX200ís in the US, so if you youíre hoping to easily find a replacement for yours in the US, it probably wonít happen.
Enthusiast
Vespa PX200
Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 75
Location: Wexford, Ireland
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:47 am quote
whodatschrome wrote:
As a heads up, there are very few PX200ís in the US, so if you youíre hoping to easily find a replacement for yours in the US, it probably wonít happen.
WOW! All the more wanting to do this. Any pointer as to who to contact? Like a broker in the NY/NJ/PA area.
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1875

Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:06 pm quote
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
As a heads up, there are very few PX200ís in the US, so if you youíre hoping to easily find a replacement for yours in the US, it probably wonít happen.
WOW! All the more wanting to do this. Any pointer as to who to contact? Like a broker in the NY/NJ/PA area.
I have no idea on who to contact. I bought a bare PK50XL frame from a friend in Canada about 8 years ago (and it came with Canadian title and paperwork), but after investigating more about importing it by the books, it was going to cost me a whole bunch of time and about $500. Since I already had the frame in my possession, I simply got it registered in Vermont. Iíd be tempted to not try to jump through all the hoops to get it imported. Iíd probably just disassemble the PX and ship it over in a few different crates...the bare frame in one crate, the engine in another, and the fork, fender, and cowls in another...but thatís me.

There was no PX200ís officially imported in the US. Every now and then one will sneak in through Canada. A small handful of them got imported by American Scooter Center back in 2005. They tend to sell (used) for WAY more than theyíre probably worth. You can buy a very nice 2005 PX150 with low miles fairly easily, then simply buy bare PX200 cases, and swap over the 150 transmission into the 200 cases. It would be WAY, WAY more cost effective than buying a used 2005 PX200 (probably save over $1k).
Enthusiast
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Posts: 61

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:01 pm quote
RichardLeeDrums wrote:
Yes, thanks, I saw that earlier and will try to locate a shipping agent or the like. I don't know where to "find" all these things...
I did a quick internet search using your location and found several options in a few seconds. If you need help navigating the process please PM me.
Enthusiast
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Posts: 61

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:07 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I would think shipping would be at least $1k? Iím going to guess import fees would be at least another $300? Using a broker will probably cost another $200+?
Where did you get this quote from? Or is it based on your recent personal experience freighting classic scooters around the world? Interested, as figures are completely at odds with all my experience.
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1875

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:21 pm quote
seigiorni wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
I would think shipping would be at least $1k? Iím going to guess import fees would be at least another $300? Using a broker will probably cost another $200+?
Where did you get this quote from? Or is it based on your recent personal experience freighting classic scooters around the world? Interested, as figures are completely at odds with all my experience.
I'm an armchair quarterback when it comes to shipping. I have helped facilitate three different shippings though. I shipped a Series 1 bare frame across the US, and that cost about $350. Just got a PX150 shipped from Oregon to a guy Cali for a great deal at $375. My friend got his Husky 501 dirtbike shipped from Portland East coast to Portland West coast for $650 two years ago. I'm just guessing that having to ship across the pond AND deal with importing will cost much, much more. But it sounds like you're iluding that it can be done for less? If so, that would be pretty sweet. I may be possible that it costs less shipping overseas, compared to shipping within the the same country. I don't know because i've never tried shipping in or out of the country i live in.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1611s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0340s) ][ Debug on ]