UTC

Hooked
TV2, Sprint Veloce, GTS Super Sport

Hooked
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The OEM filter literally disintegrated when I pulled the cover off...some quick thinking and minus one kitchen sponge later, I have a spare to install

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

So whaddya think, go or no go?!?

I want to buy an official Piaggio replacement, but none of the stores are open at mid night

Am I safe to use this piece of foam temporarily, or at least until I can purchase the real deal?

Admittedly, th4e OEM CVT filter intake foam was of a thinner material, and more open cell (foam)...this sponge is thicker and more of a closed cell foam in comparison...do you think I can run into a problem possibly over heating the CVT belt if this piece of kitchen sponge won't pass as much air or am I worrying over nothing...anyone try this in the past?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
You are probably better off going without a filter than sticking that in there. Ride the thing for a while and put your hand on the variator cover. It's a little warm. I don't know enough about kitchen sponges, and how well they hold up to heat cycles that you might encounter. I do know that they don't like the dryer.
Many people have taken the filter out over the years without any problems. It is common to cut holes in the Variator cover to allow additional airflow to cool the transmission as well.
OP
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
You are probably better off going without a filter than sticking that in there.

snip, snip, snip

Many people have taken the filter out over the years without any problems. It is common to cut holes in the Variator cover to allow additional airflow to cool the transmission as well.
~~~I thought about running without any kind of filter but my concern is the filter will keeps out larger bits of detritus, so I was thinking "somes is better than nones"

At the same time, I know air cools the belt as it passes through
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
better to go without than with that sponge in there. that's just asking for problems.

if you must have a filter, then some UNI cut to fit air filter foam would be acceptable alternative to the the OEM replacement.

personally, i'd throw it out and not look back.

-g
OP
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC quote
okay g, I know you wouldn't steer me wrong...I'll remove the sponge. you and motovista made good points
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Always ran without anything in there
@kawzak avatar
UTC

Addicted
New 2023 BV-400

Addicted
@kawzak avatar
New 2023 BV-400
UTC quote
A thinner open cell filter material can be bought (cheap) at any home improvement store. It is universal air filter material for small window unit a/c filter.
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
kawzak wrote:
A thinner open cell filter material can be bought (cheap) at any home improvement store. It is universal air filter material for small window unit a/c filter.
Something I too thought of, same stuff makes a good supplemental fish tank filter media as well.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0599s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0326s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]