OP
UTC

MP3250

MP3250
UTC quote
Recently had someone try to steal scooter from my driveway. Police came to my door at 4AM because they'd found it before I knew it was gone.

Best I can tell is the thief(thieves?) tried to carry/drag it away but gave up as soon as they got across the street, dumping it in a neighbour's yard. Probably some meth-heads who thought it was a moped and would be easy to carry off.

They dropped it at least twice just moving it 30 meters or so, because both sides are beat to hell. I found some plastic bits in the street, but it's not really the sort of damage I could repair with epoxy or any such thing.

Insurance <i><u>might</u></i> cover it, but they're baffled by this machine and want me to track down replacement parts/cost. It's a 2007 so I've got a feeling they're just going to total it anyway, but since it's my only form of transport right now I've got to try.

In case it matters, I'll need most of it. A new front fairing, both fenders, the rear plastic on the sides. Possibly the plastic behind the fairing, but it looks like there are only a couple of clips broken there, so if it'd keep them from calling it a total loss, I could probably make that work.

Also, U.S. model, I'm in South Carolina. The nearest Piaggio dealer is in Savannah GA, and neither I nor my insurance has been able to get a response from them.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me to a decent source.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Vespa Marietta in Atlanta has a good reputation. Why don't you call them and ask about parts availability.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
how about a complete scooter that you can have for spare parts? I know one pretty near you
⚠️ Last edited by old as dirt on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

MP3250

MP3250
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
how about a complete scooter that you can have for spare parts? I know one pretty near you for $1200.
How complete are we talking? Completely complete? How near me? It's something I'd seriously consider if it's in decent shape.

Being poor as dirt it'd take me a bit of doing to wrangle up the cash, but I'm sure I could put that much together without too much trouble. PM me if you've got more info.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
liam wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
how about a complete scooter that you can have for spare parts? I know one pretty near you for $1200.
How complete are we talking? Completely complete? How near me? It's something I'd seriously consider if it's in decent shape.

Being poor as dirt it'd take me a bit of doing to wrangle up the cash, but I'm sure I could put that much together without too much trouble. PM me if you've got more info.
there are 2 of them and they are in charlotte/rockhill, both are in great shape and daily riders. well maintained. I will contact the owner and have in chime in here, as he doesn't pop in very often.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
just found out he took them to scooterpartsco.com down in charleston so they can sell them for him. give them a call and tell George I sent you his way.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: Help finding 250 body plastics.
liam wrote:
Recently had someone try to steal scooter from my driveway. Police came to my door at 4AM because they'd found it before I knew it was gone.

Best I can tell is the thief(thieves?) tried to carry/drag it away but gave up as soon as they got across the street, dumping it in a neighbour's yard. Probably some meth-heads who thought it was a moped and would be easy to carry off.

They dropped it at least twice just moving it 30 meters or so, because both sides are beat to hell. I found some plastic bits in the street, but it's not really the sort of damage I could repair with epoxy or any such thing.

Insurance <i><u>might</u></i> cover it, but they're baffled by this machine and want me to track down replacement parts/cost. It's a 2007 so I've got a feeling they're just going to total it anyway, but since it's my only form of transport right now I've got to try.

In case it matters, I'll need most of it. A new front fairing, both fenders, the rear plastic on the sides. Possibly the plastic behind the fairing, but it looks like there are only a couple of clips broken there, so if it'd keep them from calling it a total loss, I could probably make that work.

Also, U.S. model, I'm in South Carolina. The nearest Piaggio dealer is in Savannah GA, and neither I nor my insurance has been able to get a response from them.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me to a decent source.
Savannah Dealer not very good, they are a Small Vespa, and Buddy Dealer. They will have to order everything from Piaggio, and don't sell MP3's. Vespa Marietta is an option, but they will also have to order the parts and re-ship. Good people to work with...

Ebay is a good source, the parts are interchangeable for the MP3/250 and MP3/400, so easy to find. There was someone here in Georgia that had a complete MP3/400 in parts for sale in 711/B Color with a blown engine. Not sure if it is still listed. Ebay is your friend if you are not in a hurry, but be careful to not overpay for items, compare them to Dealer prices, as many of the parts seller don't have a clue what the actual items is worth.

Me personally, I have a complete set of Body parts in 711/B for my MP3/250, but not selling. I may have some duplication's I may sell if you PM me and tell me what you are looking for.

[url]easyparts.nl[/url] is my favorite source for New Parts, and even with shipping to the US you can save a lot of money. I typically order and parts arrive on my doorstep in Georgia within 3 days if the items are in stock. When ordering get some consumable items to make it even better.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
OP
UTC

MP3250

MP3250
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
just found out he took them to scooterpartsco.com down in charleston so they can sell them for him. give them a call and tell George I sent you his way.
Sorry, been offline. Charleston is perfect for me.

I got word from GEICO that they're considering the "totalled" value to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $2000. I'm waiting on a parts quote from Marietta for the plastics, but since I've no idea what else might be damaged besides the tupperware, I'm going to try to get a parts+labor estimate to be just under that $2K and I'd keep my old one to cannibalize from.

Will give scooterpartsco a call. Should I just tell George there that I was referred from this board, by OAD in TN?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
liam wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

I got word from GEICO that they're considering the "totalled" value to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $2000. I'm waiting on a parts quote from Marietta for the plastics, but since I've no idea what else might be damaged besides the tupperware, I'm going to try to get a parts+labor estimate to be just under that $2K and I'd keep my old one to cannibalize from.

Will give scooterpartsco a call. Should I just tell George there that I was referred from this board, by OAD in TN?
yup
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
liam wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

I am sure this is deserving of its own thread as a debate to have Full Coverage vs Liability Only.

I have had two bad incidents on my first MP3/250, I always just fix myself.
My last one, a girl hit me... Mexican Illegal, No Insurance, No License, A friends Vehicle; I can go on and on...
She was Cute, felt sorry for her when they took her to Jail.
Never ever heard anything back from the Police on this one.

I got lucky as I was not hurt. But it was very bad cosmetically, no front infrastructure damage. So tempted to just part it out on ebay, and after looking at all my spare parts I was able to fix it better, do some additional mods where I was to lazy to take the bike apart to do. Have since restocked my parts on 711/B Cortina Gray.

It was absolutely a fun project to do taking a few months to do it in my spare time. Very pleased with the results... Although its a 2009 MP3/250, the front looks like a 2014 MP3/400 with Different Grill.

Unless the bike is brand new, they always total them even though they are fixable from what I have seen at Bike Shops when I see wrecked ones.

Keith
Marietta, GA
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Fairing is $430, Rear sides $243 each, front fenders $16 each, leg shield $230, rear black fenders around $60. Your change all the plastic in one day. Hard to fine mint parts on Ebay. One option is to vinyl wrap your existing painted parts and just replace the ABS plastic parts. I have re-bodied mine twice, no big deal.
OP
UTC

MP3250

MP3250
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:
I am sure this is deserving of its own thread as a debate to have Full Coverage vs Liability Only.
When I initially bought the insurance on this one, full coverage was a requirement because loan/leinholder. Once I saw how cheap the full coverage was I stuck with it.

Maybe it's because I'm old and married and I've been with the same insurance company 25 years with no claims, no accidents, and only one traffic ticket, but insuring the scooter with full comprehensive (incl. towing, theft, vandalism, etc) is only about $150 a year for me. My daughter pays more than that per month for just liability on her car.

I got a parts-quote from Marietta, and was hoping to get an updated one today, but haven't heard back yet. I've also talked to the scooterpartsco that OAD recommended. I've yet to get the estimate for labour.

I've not dealt with any insurance claim stuff in 3 decades or so, and that was a different state, so I'm maybe just overly anal about trying to make sure everything I'm trying to do is all above-board and there won't be any issues with it.

Lacking any real experience here I'm probably worrying about things I needn't, but I explained to my agent what I'm trying to do, and he says that's all fine, there's no issues with any of it.

Ideally, I want to do BOTH. The parts from Marietta AND one of the scooters in Charleston that OAD alerted me to. Insurance plus income-tax return should make this possible. The way I could possibly swing this is with a quote for parts cost, another quote for installation/labour, buy the parts, do the labour myself and use that money for the MP3 from scooterpartsco.

I wasn't sure if this'd be kosher, so I checked it with my agent and he says it's all sterling. If it's covered up to that value, and that's the going-rate of the labour, there's no issues with taking the going rate for doing the labour myself.

I'm too dirt-poor to do anything directly until I know what I'm getting though, and I won't know that until I can get the updated quote to the insurance company. In the meantime I have no means of transport unless my daughter's not working and feels like playing taxi for me.

When I talked to scooterpartsco they said to call and set up a time to come check the bike out. I tried to do that today, but they've not responded my messages; I guess they're shut down on Friday or somesuch. Today I'd've been able to easily get a ride down there, so it'd've been optimal for me, but I'll try to ring them again tomorrow and then figure out a time/schedule when I can get a lift.

Thanks again to everyone for the help/advice.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I didn't realize plastics were back up in price. I guess Piaggio US sold through a bunch of inventory. In much of the world, someone would repair the plastics, and the bike would look good as new. In the US, the guys who know who and where to get this done are the sport bike riders. They drop a lot of bikes, and most of them don't have comprehensive, so it's all out of pocket. Almost every shop that does track days knows someone who does plastics. And you won't be able to tell it was fixed. Or you can go to a bike night and talk to some of the guys with painted bikes. They more than likely got painted after they got dropped and had the plastics repaired. If you can't tell it was fixed, find out who did the work.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
I just got my parts in from easyparts.nl
Ordered on Sunday Night, Paid them via CC on Monday Morning, at my Front Door on Wednesday.

I know where it happened, but not sure what the hell I hit.
I heard the noise, and I said Oh-Oh, I hope I didn't crack anything.
When I got home, just under my left foot, the painted fairing on my MP3/250 (711/B) was cracked. Dam...
Started searching found all the Online Parts said...
No Longer Available for the 2007, 2008, 2009 MP3/250's in the US.

What I found interesting I did find the same part for the MP3/400 (711/B) available at easyparts.nl and they had in their inventory.
What the Hell, I ordered...
Arrived on Wednesday, perfect match.

Out of concern, and the fact they still showed inventory for both Left and Right, I ordered a "Set" for my parts inventory. I almost got Black instead of the Light Gray. This is the second time I hit something and cracked them.

Searching Ebay.com the Scalpers were wanting more then what I could buy them as New and what they had was all scratch, cracked tabs. Some of what I found, should be thrown in a dumpster.

So depending on what you need, and if you spend some time searching you can find them. I know if I ever sell my MP3/250, I will have a load of parts to sell. Hopefully I will recover the cost, but trying to keep my Favorite Bike going as long as I can. Now at 12K Miles.

I figure there are so many GTS, GTV 250cc's out there, have plenty Engine Parts Available for a long time.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I didn't realize plastics were back up in price. I guess Piaggio US sold through a bunch of inventory. In much of the world, someone would repair the plastics, and the bike would look good as new. In the US, the guys who know who and where to get this done are the sport bike riders. They drop a lot of bikes, and most of them don't have comprehensive, so it's all out of pocket. Almost every shop that does track days knows someone who does plastics. And you won't be able to tell it was fixed. Or you can go to a bike night and talk to some of the guys with painted bikes. They more than likely got painted after they got dropped and had the plastics repaired. If you can't tell it was fixed, find out who did the work.
Great Recommendation...
I think I will hold on to my cracked one and try this out.
I think someone mentioned to do a "Wrap", that's an Idea.
I am just wondering if the plastics get "Brittle" over time, and they just Crack?
But with that said... I have a Honda Lawnmower, and the whole body is Plastic,and its going on 12 years old now. Best Lawnmower I ever owned, but it was expensive.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
OP
UTC

MP3250

MP3250
UTC quote
Thanks all
I had an embarrassing moment when I picked it up, wheeling off the curb, my toe got behind the kickstand of another bike, right as the rear tire dropped, twisting/pinning my calf with no way to back up, and my only option was to lay it down.

Torsion-breaks suck. Crutches suck. I'm quite possibly the clumsiest person in the universe.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0928s ][ Queries: 19 (0.0580s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]