OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa ET2

Lurker
Vespa ET2
UTC quote
So my girlfriend has a Vespa ET2, and lost the keys to it about 4 years ago. since then it's been sitting in her mother's garage. Adding to the woes, it was laid down on the right side a while back and the top box snapped off and it has a nice dent and several scrapes down the side.

This is not a restoration, and I'm not focusing on fixing any bodywork right now. My goal right now is simply to bring an old, neglected girl back to life and back on the road as cheaply as possible, and learn as much as I can about fixing these things as I do it.

Here she is as she has sat since around 2013. As you can see there is evidence of rodents, not good (not pictured is the big dead rat we found sitting behind the back wheel). The tires are surprisingly in good shape.

However I can tell I have my work cut out for me.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by shakeszilla on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa ET2

Lurker
Vespa ET2
UTC quote
Here she is coming home. Subarus are pretty convenient cars, aren't they? Laughing emoticon

Less than 6000mi before she was parked.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Good find! What's your order of operations?
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa ET2

Lurker
Vespa ET2
UTC quote
I picked up some new lock cylinders on eBay and managed to get the trunk open yesterday (no keys) so I've already re-keyed that (sorry no pics). There were some sunflower seed shells in the trunk so clearly a mouse or rat had been hanging out there but the wires all look in god shape.

Now I need to get to the ignition cylinder and replace that so I can actually get the steering lock off and get to work on the rest of the bike. I'm hoping fluid replacements and some elbow grease will be all it needs to get going, and the. I'll finish it with new mirrors. The brakes feel like garbage so it will need a flush at least, maybe a new line.
@ruffstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 px125

Hooked
@ruffstuff avatar
2006 px125
UTC quote
Cool scoot, I've the et4 50.
The brakes feel rubbish on mine too but it'll stop from 40mph in 10ft 🖒
Yours looks in much better shape than mine.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0480s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0206s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]