UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
glitterballhedgehog wrote:
Are you Londoners allowed mace/pepper spray? I would carry the crowd-pleaser size and have eyes in the back of my head
Yes, I too am a hero in my own mind. Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Are you Londoners allowed mace/pepper spray? I would carry the crowd-pleaser size and have eyes in the back of my head
Those are classed as offensive weapons - you'd could be arrested and possibly imprisoned if found in possession of any.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Those are classed as offensive weapons - you'd could be arrested and possibly imprisoned if found in possession of any.
Oh, sorry, don't get me wrong here, I was not in any way advocating for the use of such things. Quite the opposite in fact.

Cheers!
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Over here there are some gender specific attitudes to these items.
Mace for example; if a male is caught with it in his possession he can be charged with possession of a weapon.
If a woman is found in possession of Mace, it can be considered for her protection.
Go figure. When is a weapon not a weapon?
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
I reckon you could sell tickets to watch this kind of combat with the urban streets replacing the Roman amphitheatre.

knife guy vs claw hammer guy vs angle grinder guy vs acid guy vs pepper spray guy

or tag team combinations of the above. Clown emoticon
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
I reckon you could sell tickets to watch this kind of combat with the urban streets replacing the Roman amphitheatre.

knife guy vs claw hammer guy vs angle grinder guy vs acid guy vs pepper spray guy

Hey, this seems like the basis for a new reality show.

Let's contact Donald Trump and see if he thinks if he'd like to buy into it. Laughing emoticon
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:

You forgot the guy with the samurai sword. Perhaps we could pair him off with a Scot with a claymore, or a Frenchman with an epée.
Or a Japanese with a real samurai.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
johnymoore wrote:

You forgot the guy with the samurai sword. Perhaps we could pair him off with a Scot with a claymore, or a Frenchman with an epée.
Or a Japanese with a real samurai.
I jest in many of my posts, but seriously, the violence in our society today is very alarming. It seems as though we are being inured to this.
That is what allowed the rise of alternate social movements in the 1920's and 30's in Europe.
History repeating itself?
⚠️ Last edited by EN82pg on UTC; edited 1 time
@gass avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250

Addicted
@gass avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
moped gangs
Just read in today's Guardian a 10 strong gang of 'moped robbers', have just all gone down.. Most for 10 to 12 years. Moped nicking armed snatch robbery and smash n grabs at shops with extreme violence. The cops are pleased and have reiterated that they will pursue robbers, even though they ditch their helmets because they think the cops won't pursue them.. The judge did express that these scumbags were well prepared and meticulous in planning their raids.
It was a diverse bunch of robbers which just showed the usual mix of kids in North London.. Bring back football hooliganism that would keep them off the streets.
Gass silver machine gts 250
@glitterballhedgehog avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 vespa px150 serie america

Hooked
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
My own mind? Not exactly. I can say my mettle has been tested in some very real, dangerous situations during a twenty year stretch on NYC streets. All a matter of record. I've prevailed or at least avoided serious injury. My thoughts here are from the heart. Take your chances as you see best.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
And I thought Johannesburg was gangsters paradise...?

I am surprised that the problem has not yet identified an opportunity for an effective immobiliser / siren that is installed where you have to remove body panels to access. Moving the scoot in any way without prior de-activation would result in a banshee screaming at the top of their lungs. That would enable Police to identify thefts in progress with greater ease.

Edit: In South Africa, every motorcycle that changes ownership must be micro-dotted to discourage thefts for parting out.
Edit2: I watched a few of the YouTube videos on motorcycle theft in London. Wow! Arrogant and audacious. It does seem though that there is already a "don't want to get involved" attitude by passers-by seeing portable angle grinders at work on disk locks.

As for the inputs on Mace, etc. it seems to me that the more "civilised" a country gets, the more rights it takes away from its law-abiding citizens and gives to its criminals...
Any object can be used as a weapon - car keys held protruding between the fingers in a fist are able to gouge eyes, etc. For it to be called a weapon, surely one must be able to show intent?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.
In some U.S. states, you're tried by 12, then carried by six.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
johnymoore wrote:

Hey, this seems like the basis for a new reality show.

Let's contact Donald Trump and see if he thinks if he'd like to buy into it. Laughing emoticon
He did buy into it. Big Time.
UTC

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus

Ossessionato
UTC quote
On a festive note - I was just called by the police and told they've arrested the burglars that did my property a couple of weeks ago.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
ROBIN awesome Clown emoticon Clown emoticon Hope they get the "book thrown at them". Keep us up to date on what happens.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
London/UK attempting a more civil society
I have enjoyed reading this thread about scooter theft in London. In an
attempt to be fair, safe, and considerate, it seems the bad guys are walking
all over the public. Although I am sure they are dedicated, the police
struggle with balancing safety, individual rights while pursuing the bad guys.

DISCLAIMER: I know you good friends from across the pond view Yankees
as John Wayne Cowboys with violence first and respect for rights second.
So what I offer as a solution should be measured - after all I am a Yank.
I have offered these thoughts in prior posts.

Solution:

1. I say the Bad Guys or potential Bad Guys are statistically a small
minority.
2. Police officers are intelligent and perceptive. They probably know where these rascals live and congregate.
3. Flood those areas and arrest/detain in large numbers the likely suspects.
Charge them with every minor offense - even if it does not stick. Arrest them for spitting in the street, not crossing as a pedestrian at a cross walk,
disrespect to a police officer, loitering, disorderly conduct, not having
accurate identity documents. Keep this up for a year.
4. This crime zone enforcement works. The attorney General of New York turned New York City from a cesspool of crime into a safe tourist destination.

Result: The bad guys are hassled so bad, they are slowed down committing crime or they simply leave town.

I know, I know - violation of rights and profiling. It works if the public
supports it. Again, I know this is to Cowboy for polite society. Also,
most London folks probably don't give a flip about you scooter folks.
New York had to do something or give up to crime. Chicago has done
nothing and homicides are out of control.

Finally, even here, across the pond, the above police activity has been determined to be represent infringement on personal rights. So, like
the old Wild West Movies, bad guys beware - there is a new marshal in
town.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
@rjc1944 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Matt Black 2014 300GTS Super Sport

Hooked
@rjc1944 avatar
Matt Black 2014 300GTS Super Sport
UTC quote
Current trouble in the UK is that Political Correctness and loony liberal attitudes pervade police hierarchy and political parties, especially in London. There's no willingness to tackle lawlessness or even bad behaviour/foul language in the streets any more. We're reaping what we've sown. You're lucky to have a local police station anywhere and as for a copper walking the streets, forget it.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
What you're referring to has been coined "broken windows policing" Enforcing the small laws led to some big fish. It worked thanks to Bill Bratton. When he started receiving accolades, Mayor Giuliani fired him and installed imho, a "yes man" NYC has had fairly drastic regime change, the cops are not supported, and I doubt they are looking to "grab a tiger by the tail" I sincerely hope we do not slide back to the bad old days.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
London Scooter Theft
rjc1944,

Very bold statement on your part. I support your thoughts. I know we try to avoid political statements on this forum. I agree with this approach by ModernVespa. So, I try relate stories and let intelligent folks that populate this form draw their own conclusions. We love scooters and do not want them taken from us.

Another story. I had the good fortune of living in Southern Italy for four years while in the US Navy attached to NATO. I had a memorable chance of spending time with British military guys throwing darts and drinking beer.

The story: Southern Italy was heavy in poverty. Theft of property was bad.
There was no concern with being physically hurt - just watch your wallet and
possessions.

I bought a Ducati motorcycle and rode it everywhere. I knew I could never let it out of my sight. I even parked it next to outside restaurants were I sat to eat never more than steps away. When I stayed in small villages, I would meet with the local police and ask to leave the Ducati in their police station.

When I was due to leave Italy, I sold the bike to another sailor. I told him to
keep the bike close. It was stolen within two weeks before I left.

Now we are in modern day London. Sad story.

Best to all my Vespa friends in the UK. Again sorry for your situation. I expect you will sort it out.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota (30 below Zero today )
@andyscooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa gt200

Molto Verboso
@andyscooter avatar
Vespa gt200
UTC quote
think I may have posted this before or something of a similar nature

main problem in this country is the fact the police are very very short handed

they have to call in other forces to do a raid on property round here as there is not enough officers on duty to get a team together

our local police station is unmanned but there is always between four and six cars parked outside with no officers to drive them

in London they have now set up a team to try and stop the scooter crime but its only four strong at the moment and we(a bike club I am a part of) are expecting someone to nick one of the bikes they use as they seem to be out numbered

even if the police do manage to make an arrest the crown prosecution either let them off or give them a small fine

I could go on but will stop myself

prisons here are overfull so it takes a lot to actually be sentenced to do any time
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
rjc1944 wrote:
There's no willingness to tackle lawlessness or even bad behaviour/foul language in the streets any more.
A female friend and I had an interesting encounter on the London underground a couple of evenings ago. A pair of young girls were talking loudly using vile language, and a mum with three children, sitting across from them, politely but firmly asked them to watch their mouths. Their response was to tell her that they could do whatever they wanted, and to prove their point they ramped up their invective.

My friend and I were standing next to all this, and at some point, when the exchange between the mum and the girls started to get heated, I turned around to the girls and said 'Ladies, leave it out. She's got three young kids with her.' That shut them up for a minute, then they started on my friend and I. I'll spare you the full details of the exchange, but at one point, one of the young women got up and started pushing my friend and I around. She grabbed me by the wrist and screamed into my face 'are you getting physical with me????' - when I pointed out that she was the one pushing and grabbing me, she sat back down, but they continued screaming obscenities and uttering threats.

At this point my friend - who is highly eloquent and of an imposing physical presence - stepped in and began telling the young women exactly how pathetic they were. The mum - who turned out to be a nurse and used to dealing with all sorts of nonsense - was giving them an earful as well. I leant down and started comforting the children, who were all crying by that time. We alighted a couple of stops before they did, but by this time, the entire carriage had turned against the two young lovelies, security had been called, and the pair of them were starting to look rather anxious.

I doubt they'll take a second to reflect on the incident - and if they do, they'll probably still manage to convince themselves that it's their god-given right to do and say whatever they want whenever they want. Still, it was good to see that they were vastly outnumbered on that occasion by people who weren't afraid to do the right thing.
@attention avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 GTS300 Supersport (The Yella 'Un aka The Sting)

Molto Verboso
@attention avatar
2017 GTS300 Supersport (The Yella 'Un aka The Sting)
UTC quote
andyscooter wrote:
even if the police do manage to make an arrest the crown prosecution either let them off or give them a small fine
That'l be the court not the CPS.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
personally I dislike iPhones (idiot phones, made for...) however, they do have 1 good feature... "find my iPhone" ...get a prepaid 365day plan, hide phone somewhere (with trickle charge or similar to keep it charged), then if it get nicked simply "find your iPhone "
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
@gedmunds avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super

Addicted
@gedmunds avatar
Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Quite a disturbing watch. Their attitude is incredible
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@mingo avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 SuperSport ABS

Hooked
@mingo avatar
GTS300 SuperSport ABS
UTC quote
Video of machete-wielding gang of thugs ramming Vespas (no doubt stolen) into the store's door:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shocking-moment-moped-thieves-brandishing-12321698

More carnage here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/16/armed-raiders-smoke-bombs-strike-chelsea-jewellers/

Vespa needs to put out GTS300 UK Edition, back to manual clutch and manual shifting!
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
mingo wrote:
Video of machete-wielding gang of thugs ramming Vespas (no doubt stolen) into the store's door:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shocking-moment-moped-thieves-brandishing-12321698

More carnage here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/16/armed-raiders-smoke-bombs-strike-chelsea-jewellers/

Vespa needs to put out GTS300 UK Edition, back to manual clutch and manual shifting!
Holy shit!
Also just heard (this morning) on the Beeb that recent murders in London have eclipsed New York in the U.S of A. How sad.
Anyhoo, London police and the Mayor Sadiq Khan say they have everything under control. I guess that's a positive.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
London police and the Mayor Sadiq Khan say they have everything under control
I wonder if the weather is nice on whatever planet they live on
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
Just received this a minute ago. Perhaps that maybe part of the problem with the upsurge of violent criminality?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/violent-crime-london-scotland-yard-budget-cuts-a7681331.html
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
WOW. Just WOW. Thoughts and prayer to all that have been affected by this.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
What I find most crazy about this is it ALL (though I doubt that) happens in London.

I'm only 40 miles away and can't see it ever taking off here in Brighton.....or any other city or town.

London is becoming too extreme between wealth and poverty. I know it's always been there but as numbers and diversity increase it can only get worse.
But any news from the states comparing the two is laughable. Trumps bollocks at that gun rally thing last month......laughable.

The last one is very sad with the poor young lady, and pray she recovers... but it's not just the physical is it.
@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
northernerbill wrote:
What I find most crazy about this is it ALL (though I doubt that) happens in London.

I'm only 40 miles away and can't see it ever taking off here in Brighton.....or any other city or town.

London is becoming too extreme between wealth and poverty. I know it's always been there but as numbers and diversity increase it can only get worse.
But any news from the states comparing the two is laughable. Trumps bollocks at that gun rally thing last month......laughable.

The last one is very sad with the poor young lady, and pray she recovers... but it's not just the physical is it.
I think the divide between rich and poor has always been massive in London and has actually narrowed in recent times. I am not sure what diversity has got to do with it either as London has been diverse and multicultural for most of my life.
The fact that we have lost over 21,000 police officers in England and Wales over the past 10 years seems to have had the biggest influence on the rising crime rate.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
ashbrook wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

I think the divide between rich and poor has always been massive in London and has actually narrowed in recent times. I am not sure what diversity has got to do with it either as London has been diverse and multicultural for most of my life.
The fact that we have lost over 21,000 police officers in England and Wales over the past 10 years seems to have had the biggest influence on the rising crime rate.
Why have you lost the police officers? Low pay? Poor conditions?
Don't know, just curious.
@ashbrook avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550

Ossessionato
@ashbrook avatar
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
ashbrook wrote:
northernerbill wrote:

Why have you lost the police officers? Low pay? Poor conditions?
Don't know, just curious.
I could discuss it but i fear I will break one of the forum rules......
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Fair enough.
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
LX150
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Fair enough.
JP, this is off topic, so everyone please forgive me, but I wanted to respond to your tag. I think you might be onto something. I recall two other married couples in Mayberry (besides Otis). One was the source of a DD (domestic disturbance) that almost shed some Fife or Taylor blood. This was the ep where Andy "taught" the couple to be nice to each other. They got into the habit of being nice, and it nearly killed them. They weren't happy until they resumed fighting.
The other couple I recall was Annabelle and her "dead" husband, who wasn't dead at all, and one day returned to Mayberry.
I really think you might be onto something...
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
JenniferJupiter wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Fair enough.
JP, this is off topic, so everyone please forgive me, but I wanted to respond to your tag. I think you might be onto something. I recall two other married couples in Mayberry (besides Otis). One was the source of a DD (domestic disturbance) that almost shed some Fife or Taylor blood. This was the ep where Andy "taught" the couple to be nice to each other. They got into the habit of being nice, and it nearly killed them. They weren't happy until they resumed fighting.
The other couple I recall was Annabelle and her "dead" husband, who wasn't dead at all, and one day returned to Mayberry.
I really think you might be onto something...
Well, I'll deny this if it ever gets out, but I'm a closet social demographer in my free time.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1486s ][ Queries: 3 (0.1229s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]