The Virginian's Meanderings
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports Previous123456Next
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Sun May 06, 2018 6:39 am quote
At 3:30 in the morning I was up starting to prepare breakfast. I have to go back out and look in the garage. It looks like a m/c dealership. Wow!

Here's the scene where everyone is asking, "where are you going?" lol

VFRMike headed back home to Myrtle. Glad you made the trip!
Hooked
Sun May 06, 2018 6:39 am quote
Big Frank didn't fit in the bunk beds so we had to improvise.

Smoker in the house and Chris hiding in the back!

Tankhead squeaked in

I'll get a few more pictures tonight, I was lucky to get these in with all that was going on.

(more to come)
Hooked
Sun May 06, 2018 6:40 am quote
Pizza!

Frank dusting off the oldies.

Jimmy taking the El Camino to get the pizzas!

I'll let Shane chime in and tell the wonderful story of this bike.

Smoker making vroom vroom noises on the FZ.

MotoGP qualifying in the Saloon.

Chill'n like a villain...

Our Moroccan scooter contraband!

Manhattans Up via Bulleit bourbon.

Group therapy!
Hooked
Sun May 06, 2018 6:41 am quote
Tankhead was first to jet!

Others soon followed.

Quaker State boys represented.

Eric is Chris' son, first father son m/c trip I believe.

Loaded up Big Jimmy!

He heard about American drivers so he opted to wear his helmet back to Canada, Oh Canada!

Big Frank in the house. The GPS guru!

Two non-members are still asleep.. Hmmm I'll have to roust these two up! lol Best friends from NC.

Daisy Mae heard the rumble of all the bikes enough to interrupt her snack time. (which never happens) She's going to miss all the company.

Last edited by Virginian on Tue May 08, 2018 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Sun May 06, 2018 6:42 am quote
Moroccan Sam! Our scooter contraband attendee that was kind enough to share a load of cigar for the boys. (soon to be a member of st.o)

The End!

Eric

(until the next adventure)
Hooked
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:18 pm quote
Just got checked in at the Graduate Hotel in Richmond!

First my friends riding down with me met up at Casa De Redneck. Alex who bought my old BV350 and Ahmad is visiting from Egypt to attend the event. Amed offers scooters tours across Egypt.

The other guy in this pic is Alex as well, he own's a 946 in white with the red leather and a member on MV.
Hooked
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:31 pm quote
We get parked in the underground parking and first sight I see is one or two of the 2018 Scooter Cannonball contestants. I believe the beige scoot is Brooks!

Random shots.

Check out these two twins!

Up in the hotel lobby. The one on the right is being raffled off.

Hmmm??? We must of gotten the doghouse room. lol

Nice of them to set a stand for my Rossi helmet!

(more to come)
Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:18 pm quote
We hit up a pool hall that was the chosen hangout this evening and was in walking distance so we could partake. Scooters covered the front and side.

I chatted with gal that had a two tone red/whiTe Vespa that was stunning. She was super proud of it and she should be.

The scene!

Bulleit on the rocks for me!

First person I recognize is GoPam who just completed her first Cannonball. It was great hearing about her adventures on the journey.

GoPam orders a drink and they randomly hand you a coaster. Amazing what hers said on the title!

The front is a partial pic of the art a local did and is hanging in the bar.

So off we went to find this piece of art. Bam!
Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:18 pm quote
How about an Allstate.

I'm sorry I didn't catch this young couples names but they were having a great time.

We didn't get to eat so we stopped at an all night diner and found this place where I ordered a pattymelt.

Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:24 pm quote
A couple of random pics and I'll be darned if I forgot these fine folks names. Apologies.

Alex and Ahmad on the right and brook and his lovely wife on the left.

The room keys have famous peeps on them that I think have stayed in the old Graduate Hotel.

This concludes day 1!

Last edited by Virginian on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:08 pm quote
Sitting in the bar at the hotel updating this thread.
Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:09 pm quote
So I opted for the long ride of the available rides today and motored out to Monticello. Home of our 3rd U.S. president and author of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson.
https://home.monticello.org/

First a few pics from the garage as there always seems to be a new batch when I happen by.

A pic of us ready to roll on the ride today.

We scooted along country roads for 70 to 80 miles and when we arrived at Monticello we stopped for gas. Everyone was in festive spirits!

Bagel tried out the 946. He rode his Vespa 4,600 to get here from CA.

We stopped for lunch and had some awesome southern fired chicken.

This fine gent from NC had the big screen of navs! Wow!
Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:10 pm quote
Next stop Monticello! ****History Alert!****

We entered at the David M. Rubenstein Center. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Rubenstein

Looks like TJ had brass balls! ;0

The view from his home.

Look familiar? Monticello is on the U.S. nickel or back then known as a half dime.

Check out these trees! The trunk on this one was 6' wide!

This one had branches that extended 20 yards, yes I said yards. They are so heavy the they grew back down to the ground.

Last edited by Virginian on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:11 pm quote
Some fun facts.

Thomas Jefferson had a thing for clocks and an anti-thing for grandfather clocks. Every room had multiple clocks that most were weight driven like this one. Inside it had a pulley system which used heavy weights which only lasted 6 days. TJ stated his entryway was only a 6 day wall height, not a 7. lol The engineering in this home is astounding for the 17th century. Sadly no pics of the interior as we were not allowed.

Note this clock only had 1 hand.

At the entryway if you looked up was a compass driven by the weather vein on the roof. Fascinating stuff! I should mention that 90% of this home and artifacts are real.
Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 pm quote
Thomas Jefferson hoped that his family would be able to live on at Monticello after his death. He left the property to his daughter, Martha Jefferson Randolph, and her children. Jefferson's enormous debt load, however, as well as the expenses of maintaining the building and lands proved too much to handle. Although there were several belated plans to save Monticello for the family, nothing came of them, and Mrs. Randolph put Monticello and its furnishings up for sale. Much of Jefferson's furniture, plate, and farm equipment, as well as 140 slaves, were bought at a public auction in 1827. The idiosyncratic mansion proved harder to sell. Finally, four years after the auction, the house and property went to an eccentric Charlottesville druggist, James Barclay, for $7,500.

James Barclay despised Jefferson's political ideals, and had very little interest in the great house itself. He wanted the land for a scheme that would turn Monticello into a silkworm farm. In order to plant mulberry trees, Barclay tore out many of the trees Jefferson had planted and uprooted the extensive gardens. Within three years, the project predictably failed, and Barclay now looked around for a buyer. In 1834, he sold the house and surrounding land for $2,500 to Uriah Phillips Levy, an officer in the United States Navy.

Uriah Phillips Levy really believed in TJ's freedom of religion, thus bought and preserved his home out of respect till the U.S. bought it back. If it wan't for Mr. Levy, it would be gone.

TJ was broke at the end of his life. The war of 1812 broke out and Washington lost it's library in that war as it was burned down to the ground. TJ (being broke and needed the $$ sold his book collection to the U.S. which is the Library of Congress today.
Hooked
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:23 pm quote
Piaggio held a welcome meet and greet at the Maymont Robbins Nature Center.
https://maymont.org/animals/nature-center/

So I motored over there to see what all the hubbub was. Here'a pic in the lobby as I entered.

And it's on! Another scooter throw down.

45s! Man, I'm old...

I met many new folks and what I really enjoyed was the positive energy and good nature all these folks had.

Oh yeah, The drakes and geese attack! lmao

Meanwhile back at the hotel, some more random shots. Mid-evil pimp!

Helix in the house!

This pic doesn't do this scoot justice. Simply put, it was stunning. Two tone in portifino green with a painted on pinstripe in brown to match the brown leather seat. Well played!

Ummm... waiting for the elevator...

This concludes day 2.

(more to come)

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric
Hooked
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:57 am quote
Day 3

Back in the bar in the ac cooling off with a Legend Brown Ale, a fine VA brown ale!

Let's start the day to see what's in the garage this morning.

I took off early to go top off my tank and I happen upon this. An air pump that takes credit cards at $1.50 a pop. wtf...
Hooked
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:10 am quote
Rode back to the hotel to pick up my swag kit and check out the raffle goodies.

This mornings ride it to Petersburg, VA. So I milled about and talked to many folks going on the rides today. This scoot was awesome for a rat bike. Broken plastic all around, sprayed red blood all over it and the fury seat to top it off.

General Lee scoot, must be a Dukes of Hazard fan.

I've been wanting to chat with this rider in particular. Hands down my favorite scoot at AmeriVespa! Turns out it belongs to a another Cannonballer Cynthia hailing from PA. She rode this awesome 2-stroke P200 4,300 to 4,500 miles across the U.S. I asked her what she used for her routing, she stated she used a roller and color coded the turns. Pretty freak'n awesome. Respect!

She calls her scoot Sloppy Joe and loves octopuses. Love it!

The horn cover.

Check out the octopus seat and there's a medallion/button thing dead center. I asked what the heck and did it bother your bum? She said no, it keeps me awake! LOL

I asked what the deal was with the spark plug on the floor board, she said she put it on in Arizona and wanted to see if it would fall off, been there all the across the U.S.

61,000 legit miles on her scoot!

Last edited by Virginian on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:26 am quote
****History Alert****

The scoots at Petersburg Battlefield.

Meet Cynthia.

The Siege of Petersburg: The Longest Military Event of the Civil War

Nine and a half months, 70,000 casualties, the suffering of civilians, thousands of U. S. Colored Troops fighting for the freedom of their race, and the decline of Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of No. Virginia all describe the Siege of Petersburg. It was here Gen. Ulysses S. Grant cut off all of Petersburg's supply lines ensuring the fall of Richmond on April 3, 1865. Six days later, Lee surrendered.

Park Units
Petersburg National Battlefield is composed of three major units and an additional managed component.

Eastern Front Visitor Center and Park Tour Road
Located off Virginia Route 36 east of Petersburg, the Eastern Front Visitor Center is the main visitor contact station for the Battlefield. Here, visitors can view exhibits and movies about the Siege of Petersburg as well as view Battery #5, an important early site in the Siege. The park entrance fee is also collected on the Eastern Front Visitor Center access road.[citation needed]

After leaving the Visitor Center, one can begin their park tour. A motor tour route runs from Virginia Route 36 to US Route 301. Along the way, visitors can view sites such as Fort Stedman and The Crater.

Five Forks Battlefield
Main article: Five Forks Battlefield
Located in Dinwiddie County about 14 miles (23 km) southwest of downtown Petersburg, this unit contains the site of the Battle of Five Forks, which destroyed a sizable portion of the remaining Confederate Army of Northern Virginia. Sometimes called the "Waterloo of the Confederacy," Five Forks helped set in motion a series of events that led to Robert E. Lee's subsequent surrender at Appomattox Court House.[citation needed]
https://www.nps.gov/pete/index.htm

This pic depicts the mounts where the fort used to stand.

We stopped for lunch in a quaint cobblestone farmer's market that's been converted into a restaurant.

Of course here's the obligatory food pics. I had the smoked salmon cobb salad which was outstanding!

Last edited by Virginian on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:35 am quote
We skedaddled back to the hotel so folks could catch the afternoon ride. There was oodles of folks ready for the next round of rides.

My man on the dragon scoot!

Here's a quick video of one group heading out.
I walk up the entrance and Zero has a tent and two of their bikes on display.

I had an interesting chat with the rep of Zero. Confederate m/c is now Curtiss Motorcycles and going with Zero's platform to build their bikes. I asked how climbing into bed with Curtiss is going? He stated in not, we sold them a couple bikes, they dismantled them and built their bikes around their platform. They have no business agreement with them. Hmm... We talked in depth about longevity, range, warranty, recharging, etc. etc. Facinating and exciting stuff happening on 2 wheels.

That's it for now, going to order another brown ale and see what kind of trouble I can get into tonight!

(more to come)
Hooked
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:50 pm quote
We went to Bandito Burritos for happy hour and it was on!

Someone had tickets to a minor league game the Richmond Flying Squirrels!

I ordered pile of nachos and we all shared.

Next stop was Broadberrys which was kind of a bar with a stage for bands and an outside patio. AmeriVespa reserved the whole joint. We got kicked out qt 11 PM, and I do mean kicked out. They were serious about closing the doors at 11. Weird...

So we went to the hotel bar downstairs, just closed at 11:30 but the rooftop bar was open. So we went up there. They close at midnight and got in for last call and kicked out of there. lol No pictures of the rest but I can say I've been kicked out of 3 bars in one night.

This concludes day 3

(more to come)
Hooked
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:57 pm quote
So I got up this morning to meet some friends for breakfast and I bump into Dan from ADV hailing from Michigan. He recognized my helmet he and his lovely wife came over to thank me for my blogs that I post and that they enjoy them. I am humbled by such kindness, many thanks!

A random mural pained on the side of a building. Ummmm, put down the crack pipe!

We stopped a great place to get a bite to eat and I rode up on the sidewalks. My friends were kind of freaked out! I said VA and DC are very scooter friendly and as long as you're not blocking the sidewalk, good to go. They were all sketchy about it and low and behold the scoots were still there after breakfast.

Biscuits and sausage gravy for me. Hey! What can I say, I'm a redneck.

The others.

Veggie sausage. Sacrilege!

Last edited by Virginian on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:12 pm quote
We bounced outta there and beat feet over to the Richmond Raceway where some folks chose to take their scoots on the race track. I wanted to see the gymkhana!

But first a couple of pics of the scene. There must of been over 300 scoots there.

I loved the Betty Boop Mermaid.

Japanese anime anyone?

I'm a huge Guzzi fan and this bike was absolutely flawless.

BMW had a tent set up with some of their products. Their electric scoot was stunning and brilliant at the same time.

This pic of the colored dash was a terrible pic but was amazing to see in person.

Zero had their tent setup as well. I had no idea they offered an ADV bike.

Vespa showed us a peek at their 2019 line up and I must say the flat red was stunning.

Ahmad set up and was telling folks about his scooter tours through Egypt, Africa and India.

That's it for tonight, I'm bushed. It's midnight and the rain has set in pretty hard tonight. I hope to wake up tomorrow to blue skies for my trip home. I have some neat video of the gymkhana to share and I'll get this chapter of my adventures wrapped up tomorrow.

Thanks for reading,

Eric

Hooked
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:30 am quote
Gymkhana videos, all are very short, maybe 1 minute long unedited raw footage. Yes, I'm lazy!

Race
Barrel Racing
Frisbee Toss
Slow Race
I have a few more but you get the idea.
Hooked
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:46 am quote
They were throwing out CoolAss seat covers to the crowd and Dan's wife got one. It was hot and she made a great hat out of it! LOL

Cheech & Chong socks! My life is complete now! lmao

This lucky fine gent won the vintage Vespa in the raffle! My tradition of a loosing streak in raffles continues for over half a decade! Woohoo!

This is "THE" pic of the trip to me and my new screen shot for my PC. The sign in front of Richmond Raceway with my 946 in the O! Love it, pun intended!

Last edited by Virginian on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:52 am quote
The "V" is made out of helmets.

So we skedaddled off to the banquet supper in this grand building.

Scoots galore per usual.

Nice Trumpet bobber parked out front.

The supper was held in a ballroom done up in Egyptian motif.

This young lady won the brand new modern Vespa (I think a Primavera). Everyone was super happy for her. The awards banquet was a big hit.
Hooked
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:56 am quote
Whoops, I forgot one pic at the racetrack. I was helping this lady stow her very heavy collapsible awning in its hardcase to fly it back to CA. Ummm, it was a Kodak moment. Hehe
Hooked
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:00 am quote
Loaded up the scoot this morning a little hung over... The upswing is the rain had subsided so I jetted out of there and skipped the breakfast.

This lady was rolling out with her pup.

I took scenic back roads home and of course a turtle was crossing the road. So I turn around, snap a pic and he pees all over me. Like where did he hide all that pee. No good deed goes unpunished.

My home state I'm so proud of.

Hooked
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:24 am quote
By the numbers. AmeriVespa was in my back yard so not very tall numbers this trip but still manage some quality scooting!

I want to take a moment to thank AmeriVespa as they did a fabulous job. The event went off without a flaw and they should be congratulated. 7 Hills Scooter Club who hosted this event and quite frankly worked their buns off planning the day trips, leading the rides and many, many more venues. http://7hillsscooterclub.com/

I hope that this AmeriVespa posts gives y'all a flavor of what AmeriVespa is all about. I met hundreds of folks and I can honestly say a better crowd of folks you will not meet. There's loads of cool stuff for the raffles so that just about everyone goes home with a prize.

Until my next update of Virginian's Scooter Meanderings.

Peace!

Eric
Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am quote
I met up with some friends from another scooter forum, I had the honor and pleasure of meeting up with Bob and Cathy in Chicago for my first deep dish pizza. I am amazed at the kindness of the 2 wheeled community. Thank you Cathy! Cathy has a Honda Silverwing she's put 70,000 miles on and Bob rides a GS.

I drove up to Minnesota to pick up this. This winter's project!

Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 am quote
I was wrenching in the garage all day and VucanBill (another forum member) stopped by for a visit! Daisy Mae was super happy to meet a new friend.

Back to wrenching...
Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 am quote
While I'm waiting on parts I put some elbow grease on here today. More on that later in another thread...

A quick (mandatory) video of me riding her. lol
Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 am quote
I got her running pretty good but the clutch needs adjusting bad. I decided to go on an adventure today. I took the P up to Joe Joe's for a pizza and sub run, round trip about 25 miles. The adventure part of this ride is if I would make it, it did! Well that's a start.
Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 am quote
What an exciting weekend we had. Bob and Cathy rode out from Chicago to Philly for their nephew's wedding and they swung south for a quick visit at Casa De Redneck. They didn't even get their helmets off before I handed them a cold beer. Traveling around Philly, Baltimore, DC can be more than a challenge. After they cleaned up we all settled in for a nice supper.

I was poking around in the garage looking at their rigs. I have never seen a Silver Wing up close and wow, it's a big scoot! Cathy's steed standing tall.

Look at her set! I tips me lid it Bob and Cathy for the technology that their fingertips while on the road.

We had a good breakfast and Cathy took a terrible pic of me rustling up some grub for everyone.
Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 am quote
The route we planned for the day was 522 to 33 west, hang a right on Skyline Drive and head north to Front Royal. Grab a quick bite to eat and then double back on 340 to 221 through the Shenandoah Nat'l Forest, shoot back down 522 to Lake Anna. Skyline Drive has a 35 mph speed limit so traveling along there and stopping at overlooks was the goal. We had the most perfectweather for riding. As in the best day weather wise this year! Woohoo!

The first stop.

We met these two gents from NY that were enjoying the day as well.

Their choice of rides.

Random shots.

Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 am quote
A rest stop.

Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 am quote

Hooked
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 am quote
So we settled in for a nice chicken alfredo supper and watched Evel Live to see Travis make a few jumps.

And they're off to Chi-town and hopefully the roads I put them on will e rewarding on their way home.

Eric
Hooked
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:45 am quote
And we have mystery guest visiting Casa De Redneck! Conchscooter rode a Burgman 200 from Key West , FL to Niagra Falls to complete his 1500 Iron Butt. Well played Michael!

Hooked
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am quote
I just got back from escorting Conchscooter around some nice country roads covered in canopy trees, got him pointed in the right direction for his destination in Florence, SC this eveing. The scooter gods have smiled upon us this day with no rain... yet...

First a few pics to get caught up here. I left the garage open and banner up for the welcome wagon upon his arrival. Yeah, I know I already posted this pic. Martinis in hand it was a celebration of life in the making.

Booted Mrs. Vs car out of the garage to make space. hehe

I love the Key West Mile Marker 0 key ring!

Went out for supper and got him a proper ribeye with a nice garlic butter pad melting down on it.

We pigged out and had the waitress take the obligatory photo. That's the owner in the background photo bombing our pic. lol

A couple more beverages and Mr. Sandman was calling.
2019 Spring Gathering - May 16 - 19, Location TBD (Likely Maggie Valley, NC)   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports Previous123456Next
[ Time: 0.9155s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0616s) ][ Debug on ]