The Virginian's Meanderings
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports Previous123456
Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am quote
We got up fairly early looking forward to doing some riding but he wanted to take a spin on my P200e. I dove into the kitchen to scare up a artery slamming breakfast. Cheddar cheese omelets, extra think applewood smoked bacon, and my world famous cheddar cheese biscuits with drizzled garlic butter over them. Well... maybe not world famous but they're famous in my world. He bought one new in 1981 and toured all over the west coast as well as in South America. I hope he writes his memoirs about that trip someday.

Thus the instant bond with the P200e to fumigate the neighborhood of any mosquitoes. Off he goes in a cloud of smoke!

At one of the stops this morning I had to twist his arm to try out the 946.

Final stop as this is where I jumped off to head home and wished him all the best on his journey home.

I get within about 20 miles from home and the heavens open up and a frog strangler came pouring down. Of course I don't have my rain gear with me. Gah! I get home and start peeling off the soaked layers and I get a big grin on my face as I'm staring at my rain covered helmet. Another page has been turned in my riding portfolio and I'm blessed to have met another fine person to share my adventures with and have them share theirs with me. This was a great day in my life and hopefully it was for Conchscooter.

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric
Hooked
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:30 pm quote
Out running errands and ran into a critter. Yes, I was wearing my tortuga helmet.

Hooked
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:42 pm quote
I was out riding today and a very old man looked to be hauling home two barn finds. The one on the right is a Matchless and the BMW (maybe an R27?) I don't know my older beemers. I wish I had gotten a few better pics and I hope pops restores them.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:00 pm quote
Not enough barns in my area.

That breakfast sounds wonderful. And deadly.
Hooked
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Not enough barns in my area.

That breakfast sounds wonderful. And deadly.
Well come on down to Casa De Redneck, I'll hook ya up with barns, good roads and a deadly breakfast!

Eric
Hooked
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:08 pm quote
I was just making some final adjustments for my scooter trip to Nags Head, NC using the supplied software Tyre for my TomTom Rider 400. Normally I just hook up the nav to my PC and just click the upload button. Not so this time, it appears that Google maps that Tyre piggybacked off of put the halt to all other apps using Google Maps. So transferring the (.trf) file from Tyre isn't compatible any more.

So I log onto Tyre to see what the issue is.

4 September 2017 by Michel van Hagen
Due to a problem on the Google server, Tyre is currently not able to calculate any routes. This happened before, and we hope that this problem will be solved quickly.
Unfortunately, other errors come with this problem, such as errors in creating waypoints.

Via www.myrouteapp.com, you have a good alternative to making routes and exporting to your GPS.
http://www.tyretotravel.com/

So I called TomToms customer service line which transfers you out to Calcutta... The gent never heard of Tyre mapping, I'm like dude it's your supplied software for the Rider 400. He instructed me to use mydrive.tomtom.com which is kind of a quick fix.

So I rerouted my planned route on MyDrive and was able to port it over to the GPS. My takeaway from this is the Google machine is getting nasty big and squeezing out the small players. I'm very quietly disconnecting myself from Google as I don't agree with this type of practice.

Tyre's proposed route.

The same route more or less on MyDrive.

The real time traffic issues this evening.

And ported over to my Rider 400.

Ain't technology grand? :lamer:

(more to come)
Hooked
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:17 pm quote
All packed up and I'll leave at o-dark-thirty tomorrow morning! Woohoo! I'm officially on vacation!
Hooked
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:24 am quote
I started at daybreak this morning as I knew it was going to be hot today with a 50/50 chance of rain. The day started out with 100% humidity and steaming already. A bit foggy too!

It's really tough to 'make' time and pull over to take photos, with that said here a few I took.

I was blessed with many roads with canopy trees.

A gas and restroom stop.

I passed through Jamestown, VA to get to the ferry.
Hooked
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:31 am quote
Next I drove up to the ferry and got in line. It's amazing how many times go to take the ferry and it's always on the other side. lol

Folks out enjoying the great weather.

Seagulls seemed right at home too.

Here comes the mighty Pocahontas! I love this pic.

These fellows were warbling their throats the whole time. Musta been trying to scare up a girlfriend.

The rest of the trip is kind of boring just traveling down the peninsula to Kitty Hawk, OBX area.

My view for this week.

(more to come)
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:34 am quote
Great photos Virginian. It's been many years since I've been to the Outer Banks or spent any meaningful time on the Eastern Shore. Thanks for a mini-trip down memory lane.
Hooked
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:26 am quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Great photos Virginian. It's been many years since I've been to the Outer Banks or spent any meaningful time on the Eastern Shore. Thanks for a mini-trip down memory lane.
Thanks! I'm glad someone is enjoying them.

Eric
Hooked
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:26 am quote
Back to our regularly scheduled nonsense...

One of my nieces Erika (named after me ) is with child and chose to do the gender revel the first night here. She and her husband got the envelope from the doc and sealed it and gave it to my sister Kim.

Kim set up a way to reveal for all to get involved.

Balloons frilled with pink or blue sparkly stuff. Everyone threw a dart and color spooge flew. The most of what color is the gender.

It's a boy! Erika and Chris taking in what just happened. Tears of joy!

Checking the sonogram (?)

Their doc has a sense of humor. hehe

Out for fresh seafood at our favorite place to celebrate!

In the restroom. hehe

I had crab stuffed mushrooms and oysters Rockefeller, yum.
Hooked
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 am quote
A walk on the beach the next morning with coffee.

Breakfast at Stack 'em High.

Next stop Ho2OBX waterpart. I've never been to a waterpark before.

The concrete was sooooo hot that i scalded my feet in the first 20 minutes. Yikes!

We had a blast and road all the slides and loved the surfing on the manmade wave, I could spend all day on that! Sorry no pics of me busting my ass..
Hooked
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 am quote
Dinner at the cottage tonight and a big ol pot of chili with some homemade cornbread. Woohoo! Terrible pic of my sis, she'd be pissed if she saw this.

My bday is coming up this week so the famn damily decided to surprise me last night with a bday throwdown.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

(more to come)
Hooked
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:00 am quote
I won't spam anymore family bologna as it's boring stuff.

My scalded blistered feet have been killing me!

Back home and finishing up this page in my meanderings.

Here's a few sunrises, they really are spectacular at OBX.

Hooked
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 am quote
A few random shots...

Hooked
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:07 am quote
Da food!

Hooked
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 am quote
And the Mermaid nightlight that gave me nightmares!

Sunrise

Sunset, as night fell last night I packed my bags for the journey home. Rain was in forecast so I had to make time very early in the morning.

5 AM I fire up Bella and kneel to every bike I've owned for 40 years to get us home safely. Kind of a prayer thing between me and my bikes.

First stop for gas in Williamsburg. There's a lot of history here that I need to dig into. "America's Historic Triangle", Williamsburg, Jamestown, & Yorktown.
http://www.history.org/foundation/historic_triangle.cfm

Overcast skies threatening to rain and canopy trees.

Bella has 5,400 hundred miles on her now and she has been rock solid.

By the numbers.

476 miles
10.1 hours seat time
47 mph Average speed
67 mph Top speed

Nothing epic, just life in the slow lane.

Thanks for stopping by and reading. Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports Previous123456
[ Time: 0.2992s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0533s) ][ Debug on ]