OP
UTC

Lurker
VBB

Lurker
VBB
UTC quote
Hi Guys, First time post. I am rebuilding a VBB VBB2T for a friend, No battery, No indicators. The Engine is an LML and I am having difficulty gaining any information about the wiring. I have run a new VBB wiring harness but obviously there is no regulator and the coil CDI on the drawings only has the old two terminals, where as the one I am using is a ducatti model. There are five wires coming out of the block. They are white, blue, black, red and green but the VBB harness I have has two sky blue wire (together) two yellow wires (together), one black, green and red. The Ducatti coil terminals are two green terminals one red and one white terminal, with a yellow fly lead coming from the body. The regulator is a SWISS LML Vespa SAP 780 with 5 terminals , yellow, grey, pink, violet and black. Can anyone assist me. Cheers
Paul
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rob_hodge avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rob_hodge avatar
UTC quote
That really is the least suitable harness for that ignition setup.

While there are a few waysvto bodge it to sort of get it to work, yo really are better off with a different harness.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
First off, I assume the VBB's original stator has been replaced with a 12v CDI stator. If not, you're dead in the water until you do that.

For the brake switch, you need to replace it with a press-to-close switch rather than the stock press-to-open switch that was default on the VBB.

The Red, Green and White Wires coming off the stator plug into the CDI, match the colors.

The Yellow wire on the CDI is a ground wire. Connect it to the case.

At this point, you should be able to start the bike, it just won't have any electrics.

The black wire off the stator connects to the black wire on the harness. The black terminal on the regulator/rectifier goes to ground.

For the rest of it, this is less certain, but...

I think the blue wire off the Stator connects to the yellow terminal on the Regulator/Rectifier.

I think the red wire coming off the new wiring harness is the kill switch wire and connects to the CDI on the green/white pin.

I think the grey terminal on the R/R goes to the headlight circuit on the wiring harness (Green wire?)

I think the violet terminal on the R/R goes to the blue wire on the harness (brake light).

Finally, Wiring Diagrams are your friend
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Good Luck!

Post some pictures of the bike, too. You'd be amazed what people around here can diagnose based on looking at a few photo's.
OP
UTC

Lurker
VBB

Lurker
VBB
UTC quote
VBB wiring help
Thanks for the feedback. Would this diagram work?

Cheers
Paul
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
If that's the wiring loom that's in the bike, then other than sorting out the brake switch, you should be good-to-go.

I don't think that's the loom that's in the bike though, given the regulator/rectifier, unless you know it was installed separately.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some thoughts.

Ultimately, your best bet to sort this out is going to be to just jump in there with a multimeter and trace out the wiring loom by verifying continuity of the wires unless you're sure they all match colors on both ends.

To start, were you able to get a spark by wiring up the CDI with the Red/Green/White off the stator?
@shipscat avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 125 vnb1t

Hooked
@shipscat avatar
vespa 125 vnb1t
UTC quote
you need to find which wires go to what as far as lights go kill switch ect

when i converted my vnb battery model to 12 volts non battery i used a three pole regulator soldered all the live feeds to the lights together plugged to the outlet on the reg and the live and earth onto the reg , make sure you have a good earth from reg to scooter body good to go
P.s it doesn't mater which way round you connect the live and the earth from the stator to the reg as its ac current

thanks to SFvsr for learning me this
OP
UTC

Lurker
VBB

Lurker
VBB
UTC quote
Hi Again Guys,
My first post describes what I have currently to work with. My second post showing the [redacted] is more a question "Is this the wiring harness that I need"?. From everything that I have read I should buy one of these [redacted] style harnesses and ensure my Brake switch is a Normally Open switch "press to close". Am I on the right track?
@shipscat avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa 125 vnb1t

Hooked
@shipscat avatar
vespa 125 vnb1t
UTC quote
simplest way is to get a 3 pole 12v regulator
the red green and white wires from your stator are your ignition wires

blue and black wires are the ac feed to your regulator
your scooter will run without these wires connected
UTC

Enthusiast
VBB

Enthusiast
VBB
UTC quote
Scooterwest sells wire harness exactly for this purpose.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0294s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0068s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]