OP
@alaomega avatar
UTC

2009 Piaggio MP3 500

@alaomega avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Good day to you all:

I have two issues. The first and most pressing for my 2009 MP3 500 is that the rear wheel locks up after about 4 miles. Locks up tight.

After about 1/2 hour it becomes operational again. For 4 miles.

Serious problem, making the scooter useless unless there is a grocery store within 4 miles of my house.
There is no grocery store within 4 miles....

The previous owner wrecked the bike but I have driven it for about 1000 miles since then with no issues. I recently ordered the body panels and replaced them. I must have (skillfully) done something wrong.

Anyone know what is going on?

Oh, the second issue is that the battery is discharging rapidly when ridden. Is this related? I did put some LED in the projector hi beams but they have seen zero usage.

Thanks
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
I'd guess water in the rear brake fluid. Expands when heated and clamps the brakes down. That, and a corroded/stuck shut master cylinder.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Oh, and a problem with your charging circuit somewhere. Several possible issues. I think there's a fuse between the voltage regulator and the battery, which could be blown. Otherwise bad voltage regulator, bad rotor/stator, broken wire somewhere....
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco, 1973 Norton Commando 850

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco, 1973 Norton Commando 850
UTC quote
Should be easy to check if it's the rear brake. When the rear stops turning squeeze the left lever and see if there is any motion. If it's rigid, there's your problem. If it seem to be working normally look somewhere else.

My guess for the electric/battery issue would be the stator. I've had to replace mine - the guy at the shop said it was a common problem. Again easy to check with a multimeter.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
When sitting on the Center Stand, and moving the rear wheel by hand.
Any wobble, does it feel similar to the fronts?

My first thought was the Brakes, and if you had Bled them recently.
But that rear bearing possible could be the problem.

If the suggestions thus far have not turned up anything, I would open up the CVT and view what's going on there.

As far as the battery issue.
Did you have the bike long enough to know if the problem existed before your modification? It's always best to make one small change at a time and evaluate the results. I know of my MP3/250, it is lacking on adequate Power to do very much. I had to upgrade my Battery to a 35 Amp to offset the weakness of the Charging. The MP3/400 and MP3/500 have much more to work with. Since the bike was in a Wreck, you could have a problem with a short somewhere. How's your Tilt-Lock Working? The Park Control Computer has a very weak connector and can break a pin. The bad thing, its not located in a convenient place to change. Since you stated you have body panels on order you may be exposing it with that work and you can take a look at it. It is sandwich between the ABS Plastics in the Fender Well, and the ABS where the Parking Brake is. You have to dismantle all the Body Panels for the most part to get to it.

I didn't notice what year bike you have.
The body parts for the older MP3 2010 and older are no longer manufactured. There are some parts that are similar in the MP3/250 and MP3/400.

You have to rely on some of the large dealers who stock parts.
I bought the last of the MP3/250 Left/Right Lower Cowl Painted parts from easyparts.nl, they told me this was it. As they run out of inventory, they are not making them anymore. Watch ebay, even though a lot of what is listed is Garbage.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
First the most obvious question. When the wheel has locked is either calliper and the brake disk extremely hot? If so which calliper is really hot?

Brakes can bind for many reasons so without this information its pointless to speculate further. If your not certain which calliper is binding my money would be on the parking brake as the more likely so I would slacken the cable right off and test again. Disabling the parking brake is not a safety issue, at least not until you need to park on a steep hill!
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@alaomega avatar
UTC

2009 Piaggio MP3 500

@alaomega avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Thank you one and all for your advice.
The electrical issue went away, at least for now.

The rear wheel issue, well...
Bled the rear brakes, no change.
The lever at the master cylinder for the rear brake has some movement... until the bike is ridden. Then it might as well be a solid, welded mass of metal. So, I am going to replace that next. I researched the old threads and there is no rebuilt kit so... I guess it is a brand new master cylinder for my MP3.

The emergency brake does not seem to be part of the problem. I disconnected the line from the brake and there was no change (which means that the MP3 rear wheel eventually locks up)
What is interesting is that there is more heat at the emergency brake than there is any place else in the rear of bike (excluding the exhaust)

I did remove the cover for the CVT and there was quite a bit of dust in there. What I believe is the leading edge of the clutch is worn down.

Someone asked me about play in the rear wheel. I can't find any but it might be interesting to note that just as the rear wheel begins to turn right after a stoppage, by pulling the top of the tire to the left and pushing the bottom of the tire to the right, it is easier to turn the wheel. Pushing in the opposite direction on the tire, I can't move the wheel either forwards or backwards.

Karl
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
The parking brake (WTF is an 'emergency' brake?) can easily be maladjusted until the pads rub on the disc the whole time. The pads don't last very long like that mind...
OP
@alaomega avatar
UTC

2009 Piaggio MP3 500

@alaomega avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
The emergency brake is a device that shows how good of a mechanic I am.... thanks for pointing that out!
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
As per my previous post if the parking brake calliper is getting hot then that is what is binding. There is an adjustment which can be made by releasing the nut on the end of the spindle then turning the spindle. This will mechanically wind the operating piston in or out. Normally it would only need excess clearance taking out but someone may have incorrectly adjusted it and caused binding or replaced the pads without slackening it off.

It is also possible that there is a wheel bearing problem or even an incorrectly assembled axle spacer leading to the wheel skewing and binding on one pad. Examination of the pads should show this up as uneven wear but you would also notice excessive play in the wheel. The outrigger bearing underneath the axle nut is quite a common failure if the grease is washed out.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
rearwheel bearing
@brasseye avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@brasseye avatar
UTC quote
Yup Id go for rear wheel bearing too good call.
OP
@alaomega avatar
UTC

2009 Piaggio MP3 500

@alaomega avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Thanks to one and all
As this bike was in an accident, and I have limited mechanical skills, I most likely did not truly represent what was wrong with the MP3.

It was the rear brake master cylinder. I replaced it, bled the rear brake and no more problem with the rear end of the MP3. I also readjusted the parking (my evilness calling it an emergency) brake.
Roadster, I did check the heat source and my cheap temp sensor indicated it was the parking brake (as the source of the heat). The inexpensive tool used will be checked for alignment to see if it is accurate (heat a penny up with a torch, then aim the device. Should give me a rough idea how far off it is)

There does not seem to be and issue with the wheel bearing. No wobble at all.

The test riding wore off some clutch material.

Next issue is to change all of the fluids.

Thanks again.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@alaomega avatar
UTC

2009 Piaggio MP3 500

@alaomega avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Is the stator the issue?
Thanks to all who assisted me with the issue with the brakes. I am slowly getting this MP3 to be all what it can be.

The electrical problem has reoccurred. I now can ride 5 to 7 miles and the slow sputtering death occurs. As I also ride a KTM 1190R which has rumored to have a small battery and underwhelming starter (never had a problem with it but ..) I carry a Lithium battery jump starter device with me. I was able to "jump start" my way back home, 1/2 mile at a time (good thing the MP3 is easy to push! Got some quad (leg) work out for free.)

O i re-read the downloaded shop manual, look at all of the forum postings, then trouble shoot the electrical system.

There is no change in the voltage from idle to 3000 or 4000 rpm when measured across the battery, 12.5 volts.

I find the three yellow wires and measure the resistance. It reads infinite. I believe it is supposed to be .2 to 1.0 ohms.

Ok, the stator is bad. Some folks have pointed that out in previous posts.

I looked on-line and found the least expensive to be on the Italian Ebay site.

Does anyone have any experience with sellers from Italy?
http://www.ebay.it/itm/58108R-STATORE-MAGNETE-VOLANO-PIAGGIO-MP3-400-LT-SPORT-MIC-2007-2008-2009-2010-/232416319003?hash=item361d17961b:g:htUAAOxy4dNS9RYU
is the the correct location to measure the stator resistance?
is the the correct location to measure the stator resistance?
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Hey, don't you measure resistance of relay-rectifier that way? Stator is on the right side.
OP
@alaomega avatar
UTC

2009 Piaggio MP3 500

@alaomega avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Yes, I just was getting on line and on the forum to say... opps. Well, it's not the stator that is the problem. It is something else... and the something else rider.... (me?)
OP
@alaomega avatar
UTC

2009 Piaggio MP3 500

@alaomega avatar
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
It was the 30a fuse in the relay.

Thanks to jerryw for his post on the issue. Made short work of what should have been short work.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0896s ][ Queries: 21 (0.0554s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]