Vespa LX 150 Wont Start..
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
06 Vespa LX 150
Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:44 pm quote
So I went to ride my vespa lx 150 tonight, when.. it just wouldnt start. I tried a few times, and still not luck. This then caused the battery to die. So I tried to kick start it, and no luck with that either. The kick start was kind of hard to do, and after a few times it would get stuck.

I park in a public parking garage, so my guess is that some punk kid flooded it or something. I am constantly checking all of the fluids, and everything was fine.

Any ideas on what i should do?
Tattle-tale
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:04 pm quote
Pull the battery and throw a charger on it or pick up a spare battery and swap it out. Kick starting is possible but not easy. Try easing the engine over with the kick start and get it off the compression stroke. Then give it a firm kick.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:22 pm quote
NightWing has you covered. I also had some bad gas in my LT once and it was a real pain to start. I would bet as he said it's the battery. Good luck
LX50 (kitted)
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:58 am quote
Try giving it a little throttle and kick start at same time (if your battery is dead). Something about the fuel system can create this problem, there is a thread about it, but don't remember where.
LX 150
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:51 pm quote
No idea if it's the same, but I had this same problem over and over again with my '06 LX150. Got a new spark plug and battery and hasn't happened again.
LX 150
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:55 pm quote
From a very old post.....
Menhir wrote:
Echo echo...listen to the echo.

I used to kick start my ET4 just for the heck of it and to learn how to do it in case I needed it.

Luckily I learned about the cracking issue and stopped doing it. Even luckier still, I found out before anything cracked. Whew.

But, from my experience, in case you absolutely must use the kick start:

1) It ain't easy...you have to get the hang of it.
2) Make sure everything else you do to start the scooter is ready...Kill switch is on, brake lever is applied, key is in the on position. The scooter must be on its center stand. Don't straddle the scooter!...Stand next to it. I found that it kick-started easier if I gave the throttle a quick small twist first, just enough to give it a small amount of gas.
3) Lightly push down the lever a few times until you feel it resist motion at the top of it's travel. Now it's ready to go.
4) Position your foot firmly on the kick lever and push down with a sharp powerful stomp. Don't try this with light shoes for flip-flops. You can get a serious ouchie.

And then try again. :?
I rarely got it started on the first kick.
Enthusiast
06 Vespa LX 150
Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:31 pm quote
Thanks for the reply guys.. I was able to get it to start last night. So I rode it around for about an hour, and then when I got home I shut it off for about 10 minutes, and then restarted it no problem.

Then this morning, I went to go for a ride and boom same problem. It gave me one chance to start which that didnt happen. So then the battery was instantly dead again.

So my question now is, what type / size battery do I get? Also what about the spark plug? My manual has the specs for everything else besides the battery..

Thanks for you help guys. Damn my foot is killing me from trying to kickstart that sucker ;(
Enthusiast
06 Vespa LX 150
Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm quote
bumpzeee
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150 Yamaha Vino 125 Suzuki Boulevard S40
Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:40 am quote
When you said "so my guess is that some punk kid flooded it or something", it made me think of the old evap recovery system problem that seems to plague Vespa and Fly's with the LEADER engine.

Two things to check if it is your evap system causing the problem: 1. Under the air filter, is ther any sort of discoloration from liquid running through your airbox, dripping onto the transmission case and evaporating? It will be dirty and very oily. 2. Have you tried to take off your gas cap when it refuses to start? If so, did you hear a 'whooshing' sound as the cap came off?

If you have either of those two symptoms with your no-start issue, you likely have a flooded evap recovery system.

good luck
Enthusiast
06 Vespa LX 150
Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:25 am quote
Skrapiron wrote:
When you said "so my guess is that some punk kid flooded it or something", it made me think of the old evap recovery system problem that seems to plague Vespa and Fly's with the LEADER engine.

Two things to check if it is your evap system causing the problem: 1. Under the air filter, is ther any sort of discoloration from liquid running through your airbox, dripping onto the transmission case and evaporating? It will be dirty and very oily. 2. Have you tried to take off your gas cap when it refuses to start? If so, did you hear a 'whooshing' sound as the cap came off?

If you have either of those two symptoms with your no-start issue, you likely have a flooded evap recovery system.

good luck
I think its just a dead factory battery.. gonna call SJ vespa today to see how much i can get a new battery for.
Addicted
2006 Daring Plum LX 150
Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:55 am quote
tommy wrote:
I think its just a dead factory battery.. gonna call SJ vespa today to see how much i can get a new battery for.
This happened to me during the Motorcycle Safety Basic Riding Course (too much starting & stopping with very little actual driving) and it killed my battery (temporarily).

Both the course leaders and the local shop (Scooterville MN) correctly diagnosed the problem, and they sold me a thirty-buck "battery tender". I charged it over night and it's been fine since then.

Saved me $90 on a new battery. The old one is fine.
Addicted
"Jefe"
Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:58 am quote
tommy wrote:
If you're in the City, you can get one from First Kick Scooters.
Did you try charging the battery up at all?
Enthusiast
06 Vespa LX 150
Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:19 am quote
Im actually in cupertino.. No, I have not tried charging.. but I was able to get it to start a couple days ago and road it around for about an hour. It charged it, and I was able to start it again right after the ride.

But the next morning, sure enough it was dead again. I have been noticing that it has been having a harder time starting.. so I am gonna go ahead and get a new batter, and a battery tender today.

sj vespa has the yusura (i think thats how you spell it) battery for $52..
Tattle-tale
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:21 am quote
Silly question, maybe, but is yours a wet battery or sealed? If it is a wet battery, have you checked the cells for electrolyte level?
Enthusiast
06 Vespa LX 150
Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 am quote
NightWing wrote:
Silly question, maybe, but is yours a wet battery or sealed? If it is a wet battery, have you checked the cells for electrolyte level?
Its the factory battery, which is a wet battery. I did check the cells, and the fluid level was just fine. Right between the full / empty.
Ossessionato
Several - see sig
Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:37 pm quote
Several people have had problems with the '06 battery in and LX. It is just too light duty. Newer one come with a higher amp/hour rating. Yours is still OK, you just need to put it on the tender over night every few days. That's about where mine is now. Even in warm/hot weather it almost doesn't start some times. I put the battery tender on 2-3 times a week now. Once it gets cold, I'll have to break down and get a new battery. (When the battery tender isn't on the LX, it is on my WRX with its 5 year old battery. I'll definitely need a new one of those before winter. I had to charge it before driving yesterday for the first time in over a month...)

Riding around doesn't really give it a good soaking charge. It just tops it off a little. The LX alternator is a little on the wimpy side.
Tattle-tale
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:48 pm quote
I bought my LX in June and bought a Battery Tender Jr. at the same time. The tender is still in the package and I have put 640 miles on the scooter in 8 weeks, so it hasn't been on too many long rides. Never had a problem starting. Never had to charge it.
Ossessionato
Several - see sig
Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:17 pm quote
Mine worked great at first, too, and didn't need charging other than during winter. But now that it is two years old, it is getting tired. Since Tommy's is an '06, it may have been sitting around a couple of years, too.
Lurker
LX150
Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:40 pm quote
My LX150 starter engages weakly (sort of like the "Bendix" drive is not kicking in) but the headlight is still very bright. I'm not sure if it's the starter motor or battery. It has 3000 miles on it. It seems young to need a starter. Any easy way to tell which? (I don't have a charger).
Lurker
2009 LXV 150
Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:48 pm quote
09 LXV 150
I have a full gas of tank and battery seems fully charged...

I have the ignition key on "ON"

Red button is on "Open" for starting

I hold the brakes

Press the black button to start and the motor just turns-over and turns-over but never 'fires' up

what gives?

I've only had the scooter for a week!

any help will be great

THANKS!

wilson
Molto Verboso
Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:23 pm quote
take out the pet carrier and locate the small blue hose that runs from the intake manifold to the fuel tap. If it is cracked or broken the fuel tap wont open and allow fuel to flow to the carburetor. That's your first step.
Enthusiast
2007 Dragon Red Vespa LX 150
Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:07 pm quote
Re: 09 LXV 150
wfujinaga wrote:
I have a full gas of tank and battery seems fully charged...

I have the ignition key on "ON"

Red button is on "Open" for starting

I hold the brakes

Press the black button to start and the motor just turns-over and turns-over but never 'fires' up

what gives?

I've only had the scooter for a week!

any help will be great

THANKS!

wilson
------------------
Just go to a mechanic and check it out; dont waste your time reading forums.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:15 pm quote
Has it started in the week that you have had it?. If not it could be the immobilizer due to no match with the chip in the key.

If that's the problem than:

I think 2009 is a borderline year between carb & fuel injected. If its injected JIMH could help. If its carb'd he won't touch it.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:06 am quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum. I'm betting your battery needs replacing. Did you buy the scooter new at a dealer? If so take it back and have them fix it. However if you purchased it second hand i'm betting they didn't keep the battery on a tender and while it has enough juice to make the lights go on, there's not enough to get it to start. Try a new battery first and we'll go from there.You can always take the battery back for a refund if it isn't the battery but i'm betting it is. Good luck
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1799s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0531s) ][ Debug on ]