OP
@ppatty avatar
UTC

LX50

@ppatty avatar
LX50
UTC quote
I have a 2007 LX 50 with 689 miles on it that gave me problems in Jan and has been to 2 mechanics since. I went to check air filter yesterday and found that even though I was charged for cleaning the air filter by the last mechanic, the air filter was gone! When I pulled the cover off I found oil and the little yellow chamber on bottom is full of oil. Is this normal? The scoot runs well at idle and you can throttle up without issue but when you go back down to idle ( like stopped at traffic light) it bogs down and stalls out. Carb has been cleaned and fresh high octane fuel. Other than the missing air filter which will be replaced, is there some direction I should go from here? Can a missing air filter change the fuel air mix enough for it to stall? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Air filter housing with oil at base and in bulb below case
Air filter housing with oil at base and in bulb below case
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I'd be at their door really pissed off. Altho i bet they say they put it back on. Get one from Scooterparts.com and put it in your self. Wouldn't go back to that shop. Weasels. You have a 10yr old bike and i'm thinking that your bogging is due to your fuel and vacuum lines needing to be changed. I change my fuel line every 4yrs. Did mine in 2011 and the next 4yrs went by to fast. The fuel line went and left me stranded. So i'll make sure to swap it out in a couple of years. Vacuum line can go longer. I'd get them both done now, tho. replacing the air filter (needs to be LIGHTLY oiled before you put it back in) and replacing the fuel and vacuum lines, should solve your problems. You should also check your valve clearances.
OP
@ppatty avatar
UTC

LX50

@ppatty avatar
LX50
UTC quote
Vespa bogs down
Thanks for your response, Judy! I ordered 2 air filters from Scooter Parts Co and picked up some Fab 1 air filter spray. The fuel line has been changed just recently but not the vacuum line. When I disconnect the fuel line at the carb, nothing comes out till I turn the engine over at which time gas flows freely so I kind of think my vacuum line is ok. I can change it too to be safe tho. I'm hoping that getting an air filter in and adjusting the idle screw, I can fix a lot of the trouble. My thought is that when the jerk swiped my filter, air fuel mix changed and then he adjusted the idle screw to try and fix the issue. The guys at scooter parts told me if the idle is set too fast it was cause bogging down. I'll keep progress posted on the forum. Again, thank you.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Wow. Good luck with getting it back to normal. I can't believe they played around with the idle. Fingers crossed for you. Wouldn't go back to them anytime in this lifetime. Good luck
UTC

Lurker
VespaGT200

Lurker
VespaGT200
UTC quote
Similar problem as I have. I've ordered filter and fuel line and vacuum tap so hoping that will cure things on my GT200.

All the best with yours.

Dave
OP
@ppatty avatar
UTC

LX50

@ppatty avatar
LX50
UTC quote
Re Vespa bogs down and stalls
Ok I changed vacuum hose this weekend. Fuel line changed in March. I added a lightly oiled air filter yesterday. I also noticed the oil level was too high by about a cup which I siphoned off. The oil was changed in the Winter and I honestly didn't think I needed to check the level when a mechanic did the change. I've only put 13 miles on the scoot since the oil change so hopefully not too much damage occurred. When I attempted to start scoot last night, she still required throttle to start which is not usual for her. I took out the spark plug which was changed in March and it was pretty dark. I think this means the mix is too rich. I put a new spark plug in and she fired up like the old girl I knew from the past! Today, I went to take for a test drive and it went well until I took her back to my garage where she bogged down on idle again and stalled. I don't know what else to do at this point so would welcome thoughts. By the way, I tried moving the idle screw just an 1/8th of a turn to reduce idle speed after she was good and warm and that resulted in very difficult start so I returned it to her happy position. I think it's still running rich and will check my plug to verify later today. My only other thought is that the mechanic in March took the carb out and cleaned it in some ultrasonic contraption. Could that have altered the mix or open the fuel jet too much?
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I would recommend for the LX 50 that you do not use any chemicals in the filter. Especially FAB which is made for higher power machines. Unless you ride in really dusty areas. Then follow the manual.

Malossi fillters fit the airbox better than the OEM.
OP
@ppatty avatar
UTC

LX50

@ppatty avatar
LX50
UTC quote
RE Fab 1
Thanks for the input. I bought a Malossi filter. I thought I was supposed to lightly oil it. The scoot was running too rich before I did this so I doubt the Fab on the filter did any damage. I do run on dusty roads much of the time as I am a camper and my scoot is my transportation when I have my RV at a campground. The campgrounds often have gravel or sand roads and a lot of dust gets kicked up.
When I ran it again this afternoon, I got a few blocks from home and it bogged down at idle again. I was able to prevent a stall and very slowly reduced throttle back down. I had no power to move forward for the time being but the scoot was running. I just waited it out with the throttle barely on and after a min or so, she powered up again and I took it back home. This seems so confounding to me. Could it be bad gas? I put the current fuel in the tank the first week of April so it's not that old.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Re: RE Fab 1
PPatty wrote:
Thanks for the input. I bought a Malossi filter. I thought I was supposed to lightly oil it. The scoot was running too rich before I did this so I doubt the Fab on the filter did any damage. I do run on dusty roads much of the time as I am a camper and my scoot is my transportation when I have my RV at a campground. The campgrounds often have gravel or sand roads and a lot of dust gets kicked up.
When I ran it again this afternoon, I got a few blocks from home and it bogged down at idle again. I was able to prevent a stall and very slowly reduced throttle back down. I had no power to move forward for the time being but the scoot was running. I just waited it out with the throttle barely on and after a min or so, she powered up again and I took it back home. This seems so confounding to me. Could it be bad gas? I put the current fuel in the tank the first week of April so it's not that old.
In this case lightly oil iit with half petrol and half engine oil.
OP
@ppatty avatar
UTC

LX50

@ppatty avatar
LX50
UTC quote
Re Fab 1
Thank you, Max 6200. I bought 2 Malossi filters, is it worth prepping the second filter and switching it out or can I leave in what I have?
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Re: Re Fab 1
PPatty wrote:
Thank you, Max 6200. I bought 2 Malossi filters, is it worth prepping the second filter and switching it out or can I leave in what I have?
I would wait. You will just find a clean filter. When you see the Malossi filter you will decide.
OP
@ppatty avatar
UTC

LX50

@ppatty avatar
LX50
UTC quote
? Bad fuel petcock? Tap
I have left the scoot running at idle for 20 min or so and just went out to look at things. My brand new vacuum hose appears to have a drop of fluid in it that I watched come through the fuel petcock! I would assume it's gasoline. Does this mean I need a new fuel petcock or tap? Not sure of proper name.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Enthusiast
1969 Sprint 2011 LX50

Enthusiast
1969 Sprint 2011 LX50
UTC quote
Hi PPatty Hey, I'm having the exact symptoms. Driving a few miles under powered then it stalls Takes about 5 minutes to restart. I'm trying to troubleshoot. Did you ever figure out the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
traveler wrote:
Hi PPatty Hey, I'm having the exact symptoms. Driving a few miles under powered then it stalls Takes about 5 minutes to restart. I'm trying to troubleshoot. Did you ever figure out the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Jim, click this link and read the entire description for this part. I'm guessing this might be your issue.

https://scooterpartsco.com/lx-50/lx-50-electrical/cdi-coil-for-vespa-lx-50-piaggio-fly-50-s-50-unrestricted?zenid=fa9db80564e3298a4ab682fc482a5691
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
traveler wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Good luck to you. Next time I open the air box I will give you an update.
The problem with mine is just cold start. Once it is running and going it starts right away.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0348s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0088s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]