MP3 Speedometer Overlay
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 258
Location: Land of Oz
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am quote
I know this has been discussed in the past but I thought I'd bring it up again for any new MP3 owners who may be wondering if there is anything they can do about the speedometer. Trying to do the math to figure out your speed (kph->mph) is a real hassle on these scooters. I don't see as well as I used to and using the mph numbers is nearly impossible for me. So, I found this overlay on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182455828475?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is somewhat over priced at $15 but I figured I'd give it a try. To my tired old eyes it is a Godsend. This thing is very easy for me to see and can actually be seen at night. The instrument lights shine through it somewhat and it does not block the blinking security light. It is installed on top of the cluster so will be easy to remove should I wish to do that. I can't imagine I ever will though. As you can see I also rotated it a bit to be exactly accurate at 50 mph. It may be a couple off at 30 and 70 but that didn't matter to me. I just thought I'd give some of the new (and possibly old) guys a heads up.

Dave

Speedometer Corrector.jpg



Last edited by FrogmanDave on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Ossessionato
Jeep 4dr. Rubicon, Hard Rock
Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 2529
Location: Olympia, WA
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 pm quote
MPH
I had one on my '16 MP3 500, worked very well. Didn't feel it was over priced or at least I couldn't make one for 15 bucks.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Joined: 22 Jan 2016
Posts: 342
Location: Chandler, AZ
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:43 pm quote
I have and use this same one. Wish it were $10 or less, but $15 is OK but I wish they had offered 2 at $15 so I can have a spare just in case one of them peel off for some reason, or in case I mess up the first installation.

My local streets have a 45mph speed limit so I use my GPS to find out where the actual 45mph is on the dial based on my GPS and I lined it up based on that reference point. I ride mostly on local streets so that seems to be a good reference point.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 4227
Location: Marietta, GA
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:59 pm quote
I have found this method is so much easier...

Whatever speed is shown...
Divide by 2
Then add 8
That is your speed in MPH.

Example...
You see 120, so that is 68 MPH
You see 100, so that is 58 MPH

I have done this so much, I know what the conversion is to MPH without doing the math any more. That overlay does not look very good.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Member
09 MP3 250
Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Location: Minnesota
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:36 pm quote
I've seen this, and although it's a good idea, I'm not paying $15 for a piece of paper.

So, do any of you have a good cell phone holder for the handle bars of an MP3?

I have a MPH app for the phone that would be easier to see at any time of the day or night.

I've looked a bit on Amazon, but nothing is really looking like a good fit.

If you have them, please post a photo, and maybe even a link to where a person could buy it.

Thanks.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 4227
Location: Marietta, GA
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:58 pm quote
davev wrote:
I've seen this, and although it's a good idea, I'm not paying $15 for a piece of paper.

So, do any of you have a good cell phone holder for the handle bars of an MP3?

I have a MPH app for the phone that would be easier to see at any time of the day or night.

I've looked a bit on Amazon, but nothing is really looking like a good fit.

If you have them, please post a photo, and maybe even a link to where a person could buy it.

Thanks.
Check out the Mirror Stem Mounts here...
https://www.leadermotorcycle.com/
They fit both the MP3/250 and MP3/500 Stems.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Member
09 MP3 250
Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Location: Minnesota
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:30 pm quote
klaborde wrote:
davev wrote:
I've seen this, and although it's a good idea, I'm not paying $15 for a piece of paper.

So, do any of you have a good cell phone holder for the handle bars of an MP3?

I have a MPH app for the phone that would be easier to see at any time of the day or night.

I've looked a bit on Amazon, but nothing is really looking like a good fit.

If you have them, please post a photo, and maybe even a link to where a person could buy it.

Thanks.
Check out the Mirror Stem Mounts here...
https://www.leadermotorcycle.com/
They fit both the MP3/250 and MP3/500 Stems.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
As nice as those look, and seeing as I won't pay $15 for the dial, I don't think I'll be spending $150 for this system.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Joined: 22 Jan 2016
Posts: 342
Location: Chandler, AZ
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm quote
davev wrote:
I've seen this, and although it's a good idea, I'm not paying $15 for a piece of paper.

So, do any of you have a good cell phone holder for the handle bars of an MP3?

I have a MPH app for the phone that would be easier to see at any time of the day or night.

I've looked a bit on Amazon, but nothing is really looking like a good fit.

If you have them, please post a photo, and maybe even a link to where a person could buy it.

Thanks.
It's one thing to mount your phone to use its GPS navigation, but mounting it just to use a MPH app because you don't like the MP3 speedometer display is overkill to me. Just the trouble of finding a reliable mount, then whipping in and out the phone each time you ride the MP3, mount and dismount, setting it up for the app, etc, is more trouble than it's worth. If I have to do it often enough, one of these days I'm liable to fumble and drop my expensive phone. I'd rather pay $15 for a piece of paper for the simplicity and effectiveness of it.

The divide by 2 plus 8 trick as suggested by Keith is clever. But I use the speedometer as a visual cue only and I don't want to have to think about doing math in my mind at every instance I look at it. I know if you do it often enough then at some point you won't even have to think about it anymore, but for $15 I think it's worth it to not have to think about it often enough to get used to it. I'd rather keep my focus on something else when riding just to free up my mind and not get too busy with the details.
Member
09 MP3 250
Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Location: Minnesota
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:29 pm quote
Volusiano wrote:
davev wrote:
I've seen this, and although it's a good idea, I'm not paying $15 for a piece of paper.

So, do any of you have a good cell phone holder for the handle bars of an MP3?

I have a MPH app for the phone that would be easier to see at any time of the day or night.

I've looked a bit on Amazon, but nothing is really looking like a good fit.

If you have them, please post a photo, and maybe even a link to where a person could buy it.

Thanks.
It's one thing to mount your phone to use its GPS navigation, but mounting it just to use a MPH app because you don't like the MP3 speedometer display is overkill to me. Just the trouble of finding a reliable mount, then whipping in and out the phone each time you ride the MP3, mount and dismount, setting it up for the app, etc, is more trouble than it's worth. If I have to do it often enough, one of these days I'm liable to fumble and drop my expensive phone. I'd rather pay $15 for a piece of paper for the simplicity and effectiveness of it.

The divide by 2 plus 8 trick as suggested by Keith is clever. But I use the speedometer as a visual cue only and I don't want to have to think about doing math in my mind at every instance I look at it. I know if you do it often enough then at some point you won't even have to think about it anymore, but for $15 I think it's worth it to not have to think about it often enough to get used to it. I'd rather keep my focus on something else when riding just to free up my mind and not get too busy with the details.
After you mount the phone a few times, a person will learn just how far off the speedometer is. That will be helpful.
Then it will be nice to use if I need a GPS, or if I get something with some importance, i.e. an emergency text or call.
The wife and I have a little code for an important text. Just type 911, you can see who it's from, and that it's important.

Anyway, this is the one I'm getting. I'll get some foam and fender washers and figure out where to mount it.
After I find out where the real speeds are, I'll probably just just put a white dot at 30, 40, 50, 60, maybe 70 if it goes that fast.
Then I won't need the phone mounted every time I ride.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PTVKOA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2G2XZONHNOD64

The big thing is to know how far off the speedometer is. After that, it's easy.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 4227
Location: Marietta, GA
Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 am quote
davev wrote:
Volusiano wrote:
davev wrote:
I've seen this, and although it's a good idea, I'm not paying $15 for a piece of paper.

So, do any of you have a good cell phone holder for the handle bars of an MP3?

I have a MPH app for the phone that would be easier to see at any time of the day or night.

I've looked a bit on Amazon, but nothing is really looking like a good fit.

If you have them, please post a photo, and maybe even a link to where a person could buy it.

Thanks.
It's one thing to mount your phone to use its GPS navigation, but mounting it just to use a MPH app because you don't like the MP3 speedometer display is overkill to me. Just the trouble of finding a reliable mount, then whipping in and out the phone each time you ride the MP3, mount and dismount, setting it up for the app, etc, is more trouble than it's worth. If I have to do it often enough, one of these days I'm liable to fumble and drop my expensive phone. I'd rather pay $15 for a piece of paper for the simplicity and effectiveness of it.

The divide by 2 plus 8 trick as suggested by Keith is clever. But I use the speedometer as a visual cue only and I don't want to have to think about doing math in my mind at every instance I look at it. I know if you do it often enough then at some point you won't even have to think about it anymore, but for $15 I think it's worth it to not have to think about it often enough to get used to it. I'd rather keep my focus on something else when riding just to free up my mind and not get too busy with the details.
After you mount the phone a few times, a person will learn just how far off the speedometer is. That will be helpful.
Then it will be nice to use if I need a GPS, or if I get something with some importance, i.e. an emergency text or call.
The wife and I have a little code for an important text. Just type 911, you can see who it's from, and that it's important.

Anyway, this is the one I'm getting. I'll get some foam and fender washers and figure out where to mount it.
After I find out where the real speeds are, I'll probably just just put a white dot at 30, 40, 50, 60, maybe 70 if it goes that fast.
Then I won't need the phone mounted every time I ride.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PTVKOA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2G2XZONHNOD64

The big thing is to know how far off the speedometer is. After that, it's easy.
I have not had good luck with that RAM Mount.
I started with that same one, and it got loose.
I used the one for the 6+ / 7+ iPhone which came out when the + Model Phones were introduced. Those arms "Weaken" over time.
I have the Piaggio PMP, Cute Add on the MP3/500...
But stopped using it after a month or so.
I would rather have my $1300.00 iphone safe under the seat then fly off one of these mounts.

I'm telling you, learn to do the math in your head, and in no time.
When you see the speed, you will know the converted speed from doing it so much.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Member
09 MP3 250
Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Location: Minnesota
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:43 pm quote
klaborde wrote:
I have not had good luck with that RAM Mount.
I started with that same one, and it got loose.
I used the one for the 6+ / 7+ iPhone which came out when the + Model Phones were introduced. Those arms "Weaken" over time.
I have the Piaggio PMP, Cute Add on the MP3/500...
But stopped using it after a month or so.
I would rather have my $1300.00 iphone safe under the seat then fly off one of these mounts.

I'm telling you, learn to do the math in your head, and in no time.
When you see the speed, you will know the converted speed from doing it so much.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Thanks for the advice. I using a Samsung s4, a much smaller/older phone than the iPhone 6 or 7 plus.

I got mine free with a two service contract about 4 years ago. Other than losing it, if it breaks
it's not big deal. I just use it as a phone. I have a small iPad 2 for other stuff.

As for the math, it's easy. These numbers would get me close enough.

30 = 50
40 = 65
50 = 80
60 = 95

The rest I'll guess at.

Member
MP3 500
Joined: 08 Jul 2017
Posts: 34
Location: Arkansas
Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:40 pm quote
speedometer
gps speedometer on e-bay. yesterday i bought my second one for $21.50.
ships from China. I have one mounted with a $10.00 clip that fits on the black shield under the windshield. works great and is accurate. the clip is on e-bay also.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Joined: 22 Jan 2016
Posts: 342
Location: Chandler, AZ
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:50 pm quote
Re: speedometer
Once a Wing wrote:
gps speedometer on e-bay. yesterday i bought my second one for $21.50.
ships from China. I have one mounted with a $10.00 clip that fits on the black shield under the windshield. works great and is accurate. the clip is on e-bay also.
Can you provide the links to the speedometer and the clip? Also, how is it powered? At least you don't have to worry about power for the overlay.
Hooked
Joined: 27 Oct 2016
Posts: 232
Location: England
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:39 am quote
I have cut three small bits of tape in white. Stuck one at 30mph posotion one at 50mph and one at 70mph. Makes it very easy at a glance to see exactly how fast I am going.
Will do for all bikes even with mph on the dial as it makes it much easier to see while riding.
Hooked
2016 mp3 500 sport
Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Posts: 216
Location: San Diego California
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:16 am quote
Brasseye wrote:
I have cut three small bits of tape in white. Stuck one at 30mph posotion one at 50mph and one at 70mph. Makes it very easy at a glance to see exactly how fast I am going.
Will do for all bikes even with mph on the dial as it makes it much easier to see while riding.
That makes sense to me. Are those numbers typical of speed limits in UK?
Here in California it would be 35 for city, 55 for hiway, and 70 for interstate. Not that it makes any difference......it's a good idea.
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 258
Location: Land of Oz
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:20 am quote
The tape strips are a very economical way to mark your true speeds. That is for sure.

I have spent hundreds of dollars and many, many hours of labor on my MP3 since obtaining it 2 months ago. I have almost got it where I want it as far as mods go.

I can tell you the $15 I spent on this overlay is probably the best money I have spent to date. You know your exact speed at a glance, it is very easy to see in direct sunlight, regular daylight, and at night. It is a vinyl application so it should last a very, very long time and is very easy to apply. And as previously stated, it can be rotated to adjust your speedo to exact speed instead of the built in error scooters are prone to.

This thing works. No fuss, no muss. Period!

Dave
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 3982
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:39 am quote
I divide kph by 10 (just knock off the zero) and multiply by 6 to get mph.

This actually underestimates by a bit, which compensates some for the speedometer's built-in overestimation.

Mostly I just go with the flow of traffic and don't worry about it.
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 258
Location: Land of Oz
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:05 am quote
mpfrank wrote:
I divide kph by 10 (just knock off the zero) and multiply by 6 to get mph.
Exactly what I do on my other scooters.
Member
MP3 500
Joined: 08 Jul 2017
Posts: 34
Location: Arkansas
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:46 am quote
Re: speedometer
Volusiano wrote:
Once a Wing wrote:
gps speedometer on e-bay. yesterday i bought my second one for $21.50.
ships from China. I have one mounted with a $10.00 clip that fits on the black shield under the windshield. works great and is accurate. the clip is on e-bay also.
Can you provide the links to the speedometer and the clip? Also, how is it powered? At least you don't have to worry about power for the overlay.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Merlin"
Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Posts: 858
Location: Northwest Ohio
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:52 am quote
Brasseye wrote:
I have cut three small bits of tape in white. Stuck one at 30mph posotion one at 50mph and one at 70mph. Makes it very easy at a glance to see exactly how fast I am going.
Will do for all bikes even with mph on the dial as it makes it much easier to see while riding.
That's pretty much what I ended up doing.
Member
2009 Piaggio MP3ie 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Ga - US
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 pm quote
Fairly certain this sticker is not proprietary. ;)
I just got my Piaggio today. Was already considering designing a sticker like this. Everything except dimensions and cleaning up a few numbers...but when I get it right I will post the file here for free.

mphcovertersticker.png

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 112
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:32 pm quote
I bought one of those (vinyl) on eBay. It is too thin to work, almost impossible to get on straight. The seller is non-responsive, also.

It is a great idea but poorly done. I look forward to the file Yoeshi posts!

Marty
Member
2009 Piaggio MP3ie 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Ga - US
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:09 pm quote
Update on Sticker Design
So I am going out tomorrow to Hobby Lobby to buy a sticker maker. That way I can cheaply make prototypes. At the point where I am loving the design and just need to get the dimensions right.

I will post the file for free as I stated. Also I will offer a full service for $5 plus shipping if anyone is interested in custom designs or just doesn't feel like taking the steps to turn the file into a physical sticker. I am sure I will have to experiment with different materials as dawnon pointed out.

I got my Piaggio MP3 registered and passed my permit test today! First ride was....joyful. I love how when you lean it basically steers for you. Don't know how else to describe it.

mphconvertersticker.jpg
"daft 2"

Member
2009 Piaggio MP3ie 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Ga - US
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:19 pm quote
Picturing it in real life ;)
Looks pretty cool! (not really there, photoshopped in)

KmTOMiPreview.jpg

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 112
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 am quote
Overlay photoshopped
Looks Great!
Member
2009 Piaggio MP3ie 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Ga - US
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am quote
Finished Product Ready
So I just put it on and drove home. Works perfectly. Was able to know my speed at a glance again.

Roberts_CC_0916_1U.pdf
 Description:
With vector lines for laser cuts

Download
 Filename:  Roberts_CC_0916_1U.pdf
 Filesize:  1.24 MB

Member
2009 Piaggio MP3ie 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Ga - US
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 am quote
You will still see some of the KM numbers under the decal. but it is covered at your avg riding position and the tachometer is beautifully visible under slightly transparent finish

CONVERTERFINAL.jpg

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 112
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:24 am quote
Great job! I think for me, I would do better with the solid one. Can you print it on something that would block out the numbers underneath?

Marty
Member
2009 Piaggio MP3ie 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Ga - US
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:20 am quote
workinig on a second batch already
I emailed the printer I worked with. Expressed that I was wanting the dimensions to fully overlay the KM numbers. The file I sent was right and their design team must have accidentally oversized it when adding the vector lines for cutting. As far as the transparency that was personal choice. This batch was printed on clear backing. Easily can do white or black backing instead for the look you are wanting

KmTOMiPreview.jpg
This is what I am going for batch 2. (photoshopped example)

Member
2009 Piaggio MP3ie 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Ga - US
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:44 am quote
Just set my readings...Now Fully Americanized lol
Murica'

FULLYAMERICANIZED.jpg

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 112
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 pm quote
Nice! What is the material and how does it adhere?
Member
2009 Piaggio MP3ie 500
Joined: 12 Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Location: Ga - US
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:13 pm quote
Vinyl
It is a Vinyl with traditional decal adhesive (whatever they use)... Will remove easy enough if you try, but should stay and be weather proof for years to come.
Hooked
mp3 500 sport
Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 183
Location: chesterfield
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:33 am quote
I sell them for £10 including delivery in UK out of stock at moment should be in for next week

14BB120C-9FC5-42D2-8339-DB809ADEFE00.jpeg

Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 79
Location: Chandler, AZ
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:13 pm quote
eBay seller issues
In reference to the first post, if it is the El Cajon, CA eBay seller, be careful. I ordered one for "my new to me" 2016, and it has been one big long headache. First he said he misplaced my order when I asked why I hadn't received it after a week and a half, then when it arrived it was punched out way off center and covered with stringy burrs. When I complained, he said he would promptly send another better one. I waited two weeks for a replacement and then asked for a refund. I would add, the decal in the picture appears to also be punched out a bit off-center.
Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 79
Location: Chandler, AZ
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:27 pm quote
eBay Overlay seller update
Well, I just got a message from the seller that he "is not allowed" to issue a refund because too much time has elapsed since my original order! - Even though he is the reason so much time has elapsed. I have officially been scammed out of $15.00, very disappointing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5453
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:55 am quote
Re: eBay Overlay seller update
SteveB77 wrote:
Well, I just got a message from the seller that he "is not allowed" to issue a refund because too much time has elapsed since my original order! - Even though he is the reason so much time has elapsed. I have officially been scammed out of $15.00, very disappointing.
Good to know, thanks.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2966s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0614s) ][ Debug on ]