@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
My pup has separation anxiety and travels everywhere with me on my days off. Even if it's just a 15 min run to the grocery store or if I go see a 2 hr movie. He has a carrier in my car that he stays in. Trust me, he'd rather be in his car carrier for 2 hours then to be (gasp!) left at home. He is ALWAYS safe. The temp is always appropriate. I don't leave him for hours in the dead of Chicago winter, nor to I leave him for long times or without adequate water and air circulation during hot summers.

So, back to the main question, how can I take my pup with me on all of the new adventures I will be having this summer??
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
AWWWWWWWW!

I used to carry my Chihuahua with me on scoots frequently. She was actually friendly (weird for a Chi, I know), so I loved being able to take her out to pet-friendly places. She loved being able to bark at cats and other dogs while moving at much higher speeds.

I used a front pouch carrier like this, as well as a little pair of Doggles. She didn't like the Doggles, but she quickly realized they meant "going for a ride," so she learned to put up with them. It got to the point that I could not touch that pouch if she was in the room--she'd bug the crap out of me until I took her for a ride. I'd literally have to shut her in another room if I had to move the pouch somewhere without risk of her seeing.

I wouldn't recommend carrying your pup with you until you're pretty comfortable just riding by yourself. It's one thing to know the risks you're taking alone, but it is entirely another to do so with a pet. And don't be shocked if your dog doesn't take to riding well... some do, some don't. Just like people.

Funny story:
I once went on a week long bus trip to attend a friend's wedding. I took my dog over to stay at a friend's house while I was gone. When I got back, I parked the bike at the curb, knocked on my friend's door, and fully expected a wiggly little ball of fur to attempt to jump higher than my knees.

Nope.

Little traitor ran out the door, blew straight past me, and jumped up on the floorboard of my Scarabeo. It was very apparent that I'd created a monster.
WHY HAVEN'T YOU STARTED THIS BIKE YET??
WHY HAVEN'T YOU STARTED THIS BIKE YET??
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Cute!
Your pup looks like he rules the road!!!

The only advise I'd gotten was to fix a milk crate to the back rack, add some padding to the bottom and sides, affix pup's harness to the crate, and keep the top covered with bungees. Since I have the top case I wasn't sure what to do. I ordered this (how do you embed links?) https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-rolling-backpack-pet-carrier-for-dogs-and-cats

Seems like a bit much for my 5 lb ball of fur. The pouch you shared seems a bit more his size. Is it to be worn? Front ways or on the back? I would like to find something I could bungee down so he could ride inside it on the seat behind me.

While I have you... what do you think about these? Not for the pup, just in general. I would like to get them and die the fabric black. https://smile.amazon.com/Stansport-766-Saddle-Bag/dp/B004Z1239G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497857583&sr=8-2&keywords=saddlebags+for+motorcycles
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Suzuki S40 - 1978 Puch Pinto (sold) - 2006 Piaggio BV250 (R.I.P.)

Molto Verboso
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC quote
If you get those saddle bags I would pick up clear stickers for the cowls to protect the paint.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Use the search function on the top of the page and search for pet carriers or something along those lines. This is a common topic so there should be a bunch of good responses.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Can you please post a link to said cowl stickers? Are they permanent? I am awaiting Prima cowl protectors, but it may not be enough to protect from the bags.

Do you think I could sew some velvet-like material to the outer-insides of the bags to prevent scratching and forgo the stickers?
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC quote
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-48-in-x-25-ft-Crystal-Clear-Plastic-Vinyl-Sheeting-V4825-4A/100175074

I would use something like this and just can't to the shape I wanted.

All you are doing is putting a clear sticker over the paint to protect it. If you sew a soft material to the bags, it doesn't protect the paint when you get sand and rocks and twigs inbetween the soft fabric and the scooter's body. But if you have the clear vinyl, you'll be scratching a $2 sticker that can easily be replaced.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Got ya!
I'll search "pet carriers". I find the search tool to be hit or miss if I don't put in the absolute correct terms. Thanks!

Also, Lemur, that makes perfect sense. I didn't think about debris between the bag and cowl. Thanks!
@tripo avatar
UTC

Addicted
2016 GTS 300 Settantesimo Grigio Pulsar

Addicted
@tripo avatar
2016 GTS 300 Settantesimo Grigio Pulsar
UTC quote
Welcome to MV! I love your avatar! I will follow your thread to see how you address this. May you and your pup ride many happy trails together!
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
There have been many discussions here about carrying dogs on scooters. Here's one of the recent ones:

riding with TWO dogs on a vespa? thoughts?

I'm afraid if you search for "pet carrier" you'll get more references to the under seat storage than actually carrying a dog or cat.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Thanks! Now why in the world would the under seat storage be called a pet carrier?! Boggles the mind!

I checked out that tread about the 2 dogs. I think, once I'm more comfortable riding, I will give a few different things a try. I don't think I'll be buying a $130 puppypod or whatever they're called. I have a rectangular carrier that's well vented, I will see what's that's like hella bungeed to my seat. I will also try an item I saw on Amazon that is like a pouch to be worn on the chest. I prefer to he him ride on my back, but the couple backpacks I viewed were big and bulky.

I'm not in a rush since I'm a new rider, just trying to do some research and get ideas.
@mrzip avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mrzip avatar
UTC quote
Here's a thread with several examples: Looking for an *actual* pet carrier. Haters welcome
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Re: Cute!
New Scoot Bunny wrote:
The pouch you shared seems a bit more his size. Is it to be worn? Front ways or on the back? I would like to find something I could bungee down so he could ride inside it on the seat behind me.
The pouch I had was meant to be worn on your front side, like a baby carrier. I preferred it because I could reach her easily if I needed to, and if we went down, I'd (in theory) be able to use my arms to protect her. That was all my personal preference though, and not based on anything else.

There are a few doggie seats specifically made to put on the passenger seat of a motorcycle. A lot of them are really plush, have harnesses and tie points, and can even be customized. Most of them are on the fairly high end of the pricing scale, though.
New Scoot Bunny wrote:
While I have you... what do you think about these? Not for the pup, just in general. I would like to get them and die the fabric black. https://smile.amazon.com/Stansport-766-Saddle-Bag/dp/B004Z1239G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497857583&sr=8-2&keywords=saddlebags+for+motorcycles
Saddlebags are awesome for expanding your carrying capacity. The main trouble with them, as others have mentioned, is their frequent habit of being rough on a really nice Vespa's paint job. Some folks take measures to alter/protect the bodywork or the bags, some just use them very rarely, and others don't care one way or the other. I'm of the "make sure there's nothing obviously scratchy and only use them rarely" category. Many sets of bags say they're designed not to scratch paintwork, but for some reason, almost all of them also seem to have room for improvement.

If you really wanna go all out, you could solve both problems and just get a sidecar. 8)
@heybex avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)

Hooked
@heybex avatar
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)
UTC quote
New Scoot Bunny wrote:
Can you please post a link to said cowl stickers? Are they permanent? I am awaiting Prima cowl protectors, but it may not be enough to protect from the bags.

Do you think I could sew some velvet-like material to the outer-insides of the bags to prevent scratching and forgo the stickers?
You didn't order the Prima cowl protectors, did you? The crash bars?
@drmorison avatar
UTC

2016 Vespa GTV 300 (mine) 2016 Vespa Primavera 150 (wife's)

@drmorison avatar
2016 Vespa GTV 300 (mine) 2016 Vespa Primavera 150 (wife's)
UTC quote
I have a Pooch Pod.
www.poochpod.com
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Dr, those pods are a bit outta my price range. Not to knock 'em, but they look like a garbage pail with lining. I am a big DIY-er and could make something similar. Not sure if I want to remove the top case or not.

Bex, I did order the Prima cowl protectors.
@heybex avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)

Hooked
@heybex avatar
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)
UTC quote
New Scoot Bunny wrote:
Dr, those pods are a bit outta my price range. Not to knock 'em, but they look like a garbage pail with lining. I am a big DIY-er and could make something similar. Not sure if I want to remove the top case or not.

Bex, I did order the Prima cowl protectors.
GAH. Go read the blog and see what those things did to my bike.

Part 1: http://www.theloopyscooterist.com/posts/mod-2-rear-crash-bars/
Part 2: http://www.theloopyscooterist.com/posts/update-on-the-crash-bars/
Part 3: http://www.theloopyscooterist.com/posts/the-crash-bars-are-coming-off/

I have the replacement set here waiting for the bike to come home - Cuppini bars that mount OUTSIDE the fairings, away from the hose.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Shucks!
Guess I will be selling them on eBay. Crying or Very sad emoticon

Do you have a link to the new bars you are going to put on?
@heybex avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)

Hooked
@heybex avatar
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)
UTC quote
Re: Shucks!
New Scoot Bunny wrote:
Guess I will be selling them on eBay. Crying or Very sad emoticon

Do you have a link to the new bars you are going to put on?
Why not just return them if they haven't been on the bike yet?

The link is in the third post somewhere. They're on sale at Scooterworks and if you sign in and make an account, THEN use that link you will see the discount price of like $36 or something ridiculously cheap.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I found the link! I will order those. I didn't get them initially because they look smaller/less protective.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
New Scoot Bunny wrote:
Thanks! Now why in the world would the under seat storage be called a pet carrier?! Boggles the mind!

The "Pet Carrier" term came into use as in the American market there is a warning label under the seat saying "No pets." Hence the ironic term. Someone's lawyer made a day's living off of that one.
@heybex avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)

Hooked
@heybex avatar
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)
UTC quote
New Scoot Bunny wrote:
I found the link! I will order those. I didn't get them initially because they look smaller/less protective.
If you want to wait a few days till I get my bike back and get them installed I'll let you know if they're worth it. I have the bars at home, bike will hopefully be home today or tomorrow.
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)
UTC quote
So, you love your dog and want him/her to enjoy a scooter ride with you. So, you get ready for the ride and put on a helmet, gloves, riding jacket, Kevlar jeans and riding boots to protect yourself in case you fall. What protects the poor dog if you fall? How badly will the dog be injured? Why would you make such a choice for a dog you love and a dog that loves you back so much...just a thought
@nojo avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 Piaggio BV350, 2016 Vespa Primavera 50

Hooked
@nojo avatar
2016 Piaggio BV350, 2016 Vespa Primavera 50
UTC quote
I have a POW....petonwheels on my BV350. Dog loves it. I posted a while ago with pix. Company is out of Italy but they have distribution in the US. Website is petonwheels.it.
@heybex avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)

Hooked
@heybex avatar
2007 GT200 (Lucrezia)
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
So, you love your dog and want him/her to enjoy a scooter ride with you. So, you get ready for the ride and put on a helmet, gloves, riding jacket, Kevlar jeans and riding boots to protect yourself in case you fall. What protects the poor dog if you fall? How badly will the dog be injured? Why would you make such a choice for a dog you love and a dog that loves you back so much...just a thought
If the dog is in a protective carrier designed for this sort of thing, he's got a safety harness and abrasion resistance. Attached to the bike, he's not going to go flying in the event of an impact like the driver might, so he's going to be less likely to smack his head into the side of a truck or a tree. He'll fall sideways and get bounced around a bit, but unless the bike lands pointing straight up in the air, he's not going to catch the weight of it like a rider might if pinned underneath.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
So, you're suggesting that someone who rides in t-shirt and flip-flops should be OK with having their pooch just sit on the pillion seat, right?

Seems to me much of the conversation here is revolving around the logistics of carrying a pet in a safe and fun manner.
Not sure why you feel the need to go on in this way. If you have a pet, feel free not to take it on your scooter. I won't judge you for it.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
MS spot on. Nobody walks in another persons shoes as they say. They are free to what they want. Once you start imposing your beliefs on others it's all downhill IMHO. Make your comments for YOU not for others. Everybody is entitled to THEIR opinions NOT their opinion for OTHERS.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Here's what I own...

It's vented and has metal rods for structure. I was thinking I could strap it tightly onto the passenger seat with net bungees. Thoughts?
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
Primavera 150
UTC quote
hi. i'm the person who asked the question for carrying two dogs.

i do like the pods, but they are really big and bulky. i still may end up ordering them, but don't feel 100% comfortable driving around with a pup yet, let alone two.

my wife thought maybe a front carrier on your body or a back carrier would work, though if we were to fall, the dog would basically fall with us in the same direction. i suppose also the dog would need to be trained to just chill and be cool about it.

i think dooglas mentioned the side car to me, which is what i think is the safest, albeit the most expensive, but it looks hella cool and i could take my wife in it. haha.

i do own http://sleepypod.com/air which is a normal airline pet carrier (it has slots you can put your luggage handle through and tethering), but i wasn't sure how to put it on either. i don't even have a rear rack yet.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Chanpion,

I imagine whatever you strap down to either rack, I could bungee to my passenger seat which will not be used for another passenger until I'm comfortable riding alone and with other cargo. People keep suggesting I am putting my dog at risk, I understand that, but the question is how to lessen the risk. It's not like we're suggesting to tether the dogs to the handlebars and expecting them to run along side the vehicle! Laughing emoticon
@jjhenry5 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 GTV 250

Hooked
@jjhenry5 avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Here's what a local rider does:

https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2099160#2099160
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Holy moly! If that's not the cutest scooter doggie I've ever seen!!! 8)
@mrzip avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mrzip avatar
UTC quote
Odie really is the best. Always brightens a ride.
If you want to use the carrier you have, you can set it on the floorboard and run the straps
through the bag hook. Just be sure to adjust the straps so it can't slide to the side.
Another local rider (our very own moderaptor) uses this method.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Very cool, MrZip!!

Here's what I came up with, I'm sure others will have something to say about it and all CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is welcomed.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
I'd use Rok straps instead of a bungie net. I've had bungie nets let things shift too much. https://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-ROK-10314-Black-Adjustable/dp/B00SXJM1WA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498333988&sr=8-1&keywords=rok+straps far more secure than any sort of bungie.
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Thanks! I don't like those nets too much and I can feel him shift a bit behind me. I'll get some of those better straps!
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I haven't purchased them yet, but how do those ROK straps attach to the scooter?
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
New Scoot Bunny wrote:
I haven't purchased them yet, but how do those ROK straps attach to the scooter?
They have a loop on each end. So, when you go to install them, you separate the two halves and then for each end, wrap the strap around something and run it back through the loop on that end. Then snap the two halves back together and adjust as a typical nylon strap.
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
Primavera 150
UTC quote
hey scoot bunny, how many lbs is your pup again?
OP
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200

Enthusiast
@new_scoot_bunny avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Chanpion, my pup is 5 lbs.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0369s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0130s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]