CDI vs point system ?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
PX150E
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:11 am quote
Hello all.

Found my self a 74 Sprint Veloce (project) for a pretty good price and started to take it apart right away. The previous owner left it in the sun for 2 years . Obviously it will gets new high wear parts: bearings, etc ... and also a 177 cylinder kit.

Right now, I'm deciding between a normal crank and the crank with the px's stump for CDI and 12V. Is there a real benefit to the CDI vs the point system ? Also what will I need if I convert the bike to 12V ?

Lastly, some pictures of the bike

Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:53 am quote
Did you see my thread on rebuilding a 1976 Sprint V?

If you go with the PX style crank taper, you can also go to a longstroke crank at the same time, for a little more oomph. That gives you 12v electricals, which means all new bulbs and a new horn. I went full DC and all LED lights when I did it, which wound up being a little more work than I'd been expecting (it was fairly trivial on my Stella), but boy are the lights bright now
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2235s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0294s) ][ Debug on ]