'66 Super 150
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 pm quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Kimono,
Don't worry; we've got your back, Dawg!

Demistifying the Si series Carb

Best,
-Slashy
Slashy, you are a generous MV friend. Explaining the mysterious carburetor is a VERY nice thing to do. With simple diagrams, too. Almost counts as volunteer work.

I read it once, then again, and once more. It's definitely unfamiliar, but it makes sense. I'm rather impressed with the smart people who invented such a contraption.

I wish I had a "practice" carb that I could take apart before I touch Blue's. It makes me so nervous to start unscrewing her stuff. The fear that I'll never figure out how to get it all back together.

But, as I've already learned, the first time is hard. The next time is so much easier. Thanks, Dawg
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:24 pm quote
Take some pictures as you go.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:40 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Take some pictures as you go.
This!!! It's always nice to go back to pictures to see if you've got it back correctly. It really helps. Kinda hard not to get the phone greased up though!
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:14 pm quote
When JKJ-FZ6 offered to loan me his air compressor so I could blow out my jets, he was not talking about a rinky-dink spray can of fresh air. Not even close. It was a giganto Craftsman deluxe with double-decker red tanks, several knobs, dials, switches, and cords, and a wheeled cart to transport the whole thing down my driveway into the garage. It looked like it meant business. And since JKJ was so generous with the loaning of it, I knew I actually had to do the jet blowing project instead of just blathering on about how maybe someday soon.... Accountability is really good for me.

So I did it. And it wasn’t too hard at all. Took a deep breath. Took a pic of the “before”. Unscrewed the slippery jets and tried not to drop them into the nether regions of the carb. Employed the giant air compressor. And so on. The jets were pretty, like jewelry in a way, and glistening with oil. All the numbers matched V oodoo’s stock chart. And I saw a tiny piece of crud in the idle jet, so I blasted it like crazy.

I wasn’t able to take it for a test drive right away, but when I finally did, it was surprising how different the engine felt. Like a tiger instead of a house cat. More powerful and growly and alive. Is this my imagination? Or was Blue just feeling saucy and ready to ride....?

EC98C2A6-08C6-47A6-9D17-A392A971DCE1.jpeg

Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 pm quote
Speaking of JKJ, ran into him this morning while cruising through the neighborhood. We went on an impromptu little ride, followed by impromptu donut treats. Super fun. It was one of those beautiful sunny days that makes it nearly impossible to buckle down and get to work.

Anyway, we had just left the bakery and JKJ turned left through the green light and I tried to follow. But suddenly, found I couldn’t accelerate because my engine had died. Tried to quickly kick it, but no go. Had to paddle through a lane of traffic off to the side of the road and figure it out.

So, I’m furiously kicking it and muttering under my breath and getting really hot in my gear. What the #$&*@*%??? A nice bicyclist stopped to help me out and by that time I see JKJ has circled back too. The biker stoops down and starts messing around with the choke and then he starts twisting the petcock and asking if it should be up or to the side?

O M G! My petcock should be UP!!!! I am an idiot. It was really embarrassing.

CED3DA1B-BCFC-4623-B3FF-9DC9AA17392B.jpeg

Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 pm quote
Whoops!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a herd of easy shifty rats
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 am quote
I've done it I got about a block. now I don't turn it off if it's just a short stop. that way if I see a little gas on the ground I know I have to fix my float valve.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:59 am quote
You took the MSF course, right?

F-I-N-E

Fuel Shutoff
Ignition Switch
Neutral
Engine Cutoff Switch

Make it a habit and you'll never ride off with the fuel switched off.
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:36 am quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Welcome to the club.

Worse than that, though is forgetting and leaving it in the down position. Ask me how I know.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:27 am quote

Nice work and remarkably little fingernail crud
Molto Verboso
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
I've done it I got about a block. now I don't turn it off if it's just a short stop. that way if I see a little gas on the ground I know I have to fix my float valve.
I do the same. Running around town I don't shut off the fuel tap, and I try to remember when I get home! Float needle must be OK.
Hooked
62 VBB 64 GL Rally 200s 74s-76-77 P200s 79-82
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:18 pm quote
Happy Gilmore

TappyTapTap.JPG

Addicted
P125X, P200E
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm quote
Yup, we’ve all done it.

My worse time was when I was leaving a local watering hole very popular with the Harley Boys. They had been giving me a ration all afternoon and I was afraid I was going to embarrass myself trying to get my p200 started. To my relief, it started on the second kick and I happily waved to the cheering crowd and drove off… only to coast to a stop at the edge of the parking lot. I opened the petcock, gave a quick kick and never looked back… although I could hear the laughter for what seem liked miles!

IMG_2579.JPG

Hooked
'66 Super 150
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:15 pm quote
Glad to know I am in such good company with my airhead goof-up. Embarrassing moments tend to be really good teachers, at least for me, so hoping to never make that mistake again.

SoCalGuy-yes, I am a little finicky about having clean hands. The first time I changed my clutch cable, it took me forever to pick the grease out from underneath my fingernails. So, now I keep a pack of baby wipes in my toolbox and clean my hands as I go. The ground is usually littered with greasy wipes by the end of a project, but my fingernails look shiny

And, they are NOT good for cleaning dirty parts on your scoot. They leave fibers.

IMG_4026.PNG

Hooked
'66 Super 150
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:22 pm quote
Loved your story, Fatbear. And great pic!
Hooked
Honda elite
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:11 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Speaking of JKJ, ran into him this morning while cruising through the neighborhood. We went on an impromptu little ride, followed by impromptu donut treats. Super fun. It was one of those beautiful sunny days that makes it nearly impossible to buckle down and get to work.

Anyway, we had just left the bakery and JKJ turned left through the green light and I tried to follow. But suddenly, found I couldn’t accelerate because my engine had died. Tried to quickly kick it, but no go. Had to paddle through a lane of traffic off to the side of the road and figure it out.

So, I’m furiously kicking it and muttering under my breath and getting really hot in my gear. What the #$&*@*%??? A nice bicyclist stopped to help me out and by that time I see JKJ has circled back too. The biker stoops down and starts messing around with the choke and then he starts twisting the petcock and asking if it should be up or to the side?

Great Photo the Super looks Superb!
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 pm quote
Ahhh, some people thinking I gave up on scootering due to my non-posting status. Phooey! I'm way too stubborn to give up on such a worthy pursuit. Plus, lurking on MV is fun too.

So Yah, I live in the frozen land of 10,000 snowy cold days. This climate allows very few days per year of comfortable scooting. In my first giddy teenage year of owning Blue, I was willing to gear up in 30 degree weather, just to sit on her sexy black saddle and cruise around like an icicle. Now, on my third riding season, I'm mature and picky and require temps of 60's or above. Without rain, high wind gusts, or cottonwood trees blowing crap in my mouth. Not exactly easy to come by here in MN.

So, I've been out exactly twice in 2019. Once on the Saturday before Easter, picking up my bunny bread loaves from the bakery and hanging them so cutely from the curry hook. Awwww. And once more two weeks ago, navigating the giganto potholes that pepper the spring roads. Swerrrrrve!

Both rides were heaven. The kind of wonderful freedom known only to other fellow scooterists. Scooting for me is a sybaritic summer pleasure. I pull away from the curb, leaving behind the responsibilities of work and home. Then I just cruise around like a free bird. It never gets old for me. Perhaps because it's a bit too infrequent. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, blah blah blah.

This winter, we had a million feet of snow. It eventually melted into two feet of water standing in our garage. I had already put Blue up on high ground, plus two wood palettes, anticipating the flood. On the day of the first spring thaw, water suddenly threatened to engulf her motor, so we pumped water out of the garage 80 feet to the street via a garden hose/sump pump (first one broke, all sump pumps in MN sold out, had to borrow from friend) to save Blue's life. Sounds melodramatic, right? Well, it was. I was so nervous as the water level rose and rose, coming within an inch of her exhaust pipe. We saved her though, and she started up with a beautiful smoky roar this spring. Wish I had taken a pic of Blue on her precarious palette perch. And us in knee-high boots rescuing her.

So now it's riding season, even for the picky mature types. Excited to burn some rubber Hope you're all burning it too.
Molto Verboso
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:34 pm quote
I thoroughly enjoy your prose and hearing about the riding in the land of 10,000 lakes.

No snow where I'm at, but plenty of rain and windy/cold days. When I get a chance to ride, I ride. Trip to store? Sure. Bank? Sure. Post Office? Sure. Every time I ride I feel that freedom of rolling on two wheels. Rain or shine - year round. It never gets that cold, so I'm fortunate there.

Thanks for the verbal trip around your neck of the woods. (Flooding - wow)....
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:00 pm quote
Glad to hear from you again. I never had any doubt that you and Blue were still together. You're not the kind that would give up scooting.

I'm also glad you saved Blue from a watery fate.

I know what it means to not being able to ride. In late March the weather here was looking great. The very day I was going out for my first ride of the season I injured my foot and I have yet to ride since last November.

Happy scooting.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86 and a not so normal pts100 '82
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:41 am quote
Try visit bali next year Sis, u can have all the sun u desire

until then, enjoy the summer on the super and cheer
Hooked
Vespa
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 am quote
Glad to hear you are still in love with the scoot.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 pm quote
So nice to hear back from some of you! Thanks!

Quascooter--you are more dedicated than I if you ride in the rain. I tried it a few times, but didn't really have the necessary gear. Glad you take all the opportunities to ride though. Still riding on Ruby? I seem to recall you had a few other options in your garage.

VRM--what a total disappointment! I'm so sorry to hear about your foot. Bet you're getting really itchy to ride. Hope your release date is soon.

Ebeth--I can only hope that a Bali visit is someday in my future. Cheer to you on your party pink scoot!

Phongvu--yes, definitely still in love with my little blue. I've been reading your "original paint" thread. The silver sprint is looking very nice!!

Got out yesterday for my third ride of the year--sunny, hot, and awesome . Blue is running perfectly, knock on wood.
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:04 am quote
Keep posting often. I now have to live vicariously through the adventures of the vintage riders on the forum.

I recently sold the P200. We just had too many bikes, and too many other projects on deck. I had finally reached a point where everything worked (except the neutral switch, but those are for sissies). I loved riding it for several years, but it was a forty year old machine that needed constant attention. At this point in my life I’d rather ride than wrench.

I rode it out to the buyer. That last ride was fantastic. 55mph into a 20mph headwind at 49° for an hour. I second guessed myself all the way there, but ultimately it was the right decision. I’ve said several times that I am just a stepping stone in its journey through the universe.

The buyer was a really nice guy who has an appreciation for what it is and I hope that he enjoys it as much as I did. He got a good deal and I made some money.

With the profits I purchased an Aprilia 50cc to ride around town. Super cheap, and it was essentially free. We still have my 150 and my wife’s 170 along with a Stella that I’m still working on replacing the clutch. We we certainly aren’t without bikes. And yet ... it’s diffeent.

So, remember every morning that you kick life into that little blue machine and get that first whiff of two stroke smoke you aren’t doing it just for you, it’s for all of us, too.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am quote
Hey there Kimono, good to hear you’re still riding and wrenching and being the coolest mom in the neighborhood. Keep in touch!
Molto Verboso
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:05 am quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Still riding on Ruby? I seem to recall you had a few other options in your garage.
Oh yeah - she's a keeper. What a sweet scooter that one is. I've fixed one up for Luckybear (fatbear5) so when he visits the Oregon Coast he's got cool wheels.

I rebuilt a white P200, which is going for sale any day now, as soon as the title gets here. It's in the mail.

I'm also selling the GTS-250. It doesn't get ridden.

AND - I bought a 1962 Allstate. I'm currently getting it on the road. I've got big plans for it (4 speed geared for the 8" tires, 177 kit, better front end). I plan on keeping this scooter also. 62 Allstate Cruisaire - getting it back on the road

So the corral will be down to Ruby and the blue 62. And maybe a third to fix and sell. Can you tell I like fixing them up and seeing them roll again? A little bit of history brought back to life. And they are super fun to ride!

Enjoy the riding season! Let's see some pics of Blue! Here is the Allstate.

20190519_135901.jpg
When I first got it.

Hooked
Honda elite
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:13 am quote
Thanks for the updates how about some photos
Addicted
P125X, P200E
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 am quote
I was really glad to see your most recent post and I think I speak for many of us on the forum when I say that we are really glad to see you riding again. We have enjoyed your posts as they are fun, well written and often bring a fresh point of view to the forum... cleaning threaded holes with a mascara brush for instance.

Please keep the stories coming... we really enjoy them.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:42 pm quote
No rides yet this week. Living vicariously through all of you. Family members are hogging all the free minutes Really nice to hear from more of you though.

Seamus--almost got a lump in my throat reading your post. That last ride on the P must have felt a little conflicted. I'm glad you feel it was best, but sad nonetheless. Have fun on the Aprilia!

Socalguy--thanks for the words. I'm passing the Vespa love to the next generation as often as I can. Got a line-up of small people wanting rides at all times. They're wanting to wrench too, just lacking the skillz. Btw, hoping Brownie is still brown. I love that color!

quascooter--you move 'em in and out so rapidly, it makes my head spin. Glad you are preserving history and giving the old scoots some love. Your Allstate looks very pretty--but you know I'm partial to that color, ha ha. Can't wait to see some pics after you work your Maguire's magic. Maybe you should think about moving east and opening up a vespa repair/beauty shop near a big midwestern city, say Minne.....

Hibbert--have not taken any photos yet this season. If I take any cute pics of Blue, I'll share, promise.

Fatbear--thanks for the nice comments. Very kind of you. I love being a part of the MV community, especially in the summer when I feel like a rider instead of an outsider. There are so many members who offer up enjoyable entertainment, valuable scooter tips, and wisdom of all sorts. I'm getting really itchy to ride more than I am. Hopefully Blue and I make some stories to share this summer.

The SMELL of two-stroke smoke comes up often in the NSM community. I love to inhale deeply as I kick-start Blue and watch her exhaust pipe stream out that heavenly scent. I also like to add my own personal touch for an unforgettable combination. Backdraft 2019*.

**too girly for most of you men? Just try wearing a favorite scent and then smell it swirling around with two-stroke, backdrafting through your helmet. It's a real winner.

IMG_4733.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
a herd of easy shifty rats
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:55 pm quote
Good to see you back and adding your unique and cheerful posts. The perfume(or man scent), the 2 stroke smoke, the helmet, that imagery - I like.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...131415
[ Time: 0.5560s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1840s) ][ Debug on ]