From Dreamer to Owner, now what?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...151617Next
Addicted
Honda elite
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:43 am quote
Great photo's Kimono thanks for sharing.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm quote
Right on Kimono. That is the way to teach - by example. Pretty soon you can sit back and let the little people do all the maintenance on Blue! Very cool.

Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:23 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
AWESOME PICS! Good to see you're still scooting about and teaching the young 'uns the mechanics of scooters!

Amerivespa will be in Minneapolis next year. I expect to see you there!

JKJ
Hey JKJ! Keep thinking I'll see you around on that beautiful red machine. Keeping my eyes peeled. Let me know if you're ever cruising my 'hood.

And about Amerivespa. I just might do it. Since it's probably my only chance to go locally. Slightly intimidating for a small potatoes Vespa owner such as myself, though.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:28 am quote
SaFiS wrote:
Such a lovely Super and a great teaching moment. You must be the coolest mom in the neighborhood riding and wrenching...

Greetings from Greece!!

Chris
Thanks, Chris/SaFiS. Yep, just trying to impart any knowledge I've got while they still listen to me. Because my cool mom moments will be over in a heartbeat once I have four teenagers. I love the greetings from Greece. Thanks!
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:33 am quote
qascooter wrote:
Right on Kimono. That is the way to teach - by example. Pretty soon you can sit back and let the little people do all the maintenance on Blue! Very cool.

Thanks, qua. Next up, polishing the rusty bits that multiplied over the winter. Checking a lot of your posts for the "how-tos". A wealth of information
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:34 am quote
hibbert wrote:
Great photo's Kimono thanks for sharing.
And thank you, hibbert, for the motivation to take them. I get very lazy about taking pics, but I'm always glad to have a few each year.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 am quote
Kimono32 wrote:
And once more two weeks ago, navigating the giganto potholes that pepper the spring roads. Swerrrrrve!
i can relate...although we had a mild winter this past season...but the potholes are year round...

how to spot a drunk driver...

CU5vRV7WcAE8wY6.jpg

Addicted
P125X, P200E
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:26 pm quote
(Quote ) And about Amerivespa. I just might do it. Since it's probably my only chance to go locally. Slightly intimidating for a small potatoes Vespa owner such as myself, though.[/quote]

I would strongly recommend Amerivespa. When it was in San Diego in 2013 I had been riding for about a year and felt a little intimidated, but boy am I glad I went! What a great experience! Met lots of good folks and learned a LOT just talking to the guys and gals.

I also went on two runs of 20-25 miles each which at that time were the longest rides I had ever taken. I really enjoyed riding with the group and they were great confidence-builders.

If you can attend, you should definitely do it!

Final ride.jpg

Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:42 am quote
MJRally wrote:
Whoops! Got any funds in the scooter budget for a compressor? Harbor Freight/ Craigslist might have something small for vespa tires, soccer balls, footballs etc.

Did the kids ride with you on the scoot?
I use the same Trek bicycle pump on my bikes and scooters. 10Ē tires donít require a lot of air, and you donít have to plug it in.
Molto Verboso
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
I use the same Trek bicycle pump on my bikes and scooters. 10Ē tires donít require a lot of air, and you donít have to plug it in.
+1 on the bicycle pump. Perfect for these tires. Better yet, get the little people to do it for you!
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 am quote
seamus26 wrote:
MJRally wrote:
Whoops! Got any funds in the scooter budget for a compressor? Harbor Freight/ Craigslist might have something small for vespa tires, soccer balls, footballs etc.

All fine and dandy till the car tires need air.
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:18 am quote
MJRally wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
MJRally wrote:

All fine and dandy till the car tires need air.
Oh, yeah ... for sure. Thatís why I have both.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:43 am quote
Man Edit: The following post
is long winded, girly type and
can be summed up as follows:
Upgrade carb, pipe, jets or leave stock. Feel free to skip to the end and weigh in. Grunt once for yes, twice for no.

Hello all and Happy September! Hope you are enjoying gorgeous late summer riding weather. I know I am taking every opportunity I get to be out on Blue (to the chagrin of my other responsibilities).

I've had an interesting offer this week. And I'm contemplating it. But before I decide, I'd like to run it by you all. Maybe you'd be willing to give me your unvarnished opinions.

As many of you already know, our resident vespa wizard V oodoo has been so kind as to help Doc Morgan's partner clean out their garage prior to selling the home. V oodoo has sized up all the inventory and is running a vespa adoption agency of sorts. This sounds like a labor of love as I guess there are a lot of orphans that need new homes.

And he has matched one with me! I'm quite flattered that V oodoo thinks my humble home is worthy. And I'm very honored to be a potential recipient of Doc's vespa legacy. Sadly, I didn't know him, my loss for sure.

So this orphan comes in the form of a carburetor, bigger and better than Blue's current one. Apparently V oodoo thinks Blue's original 20/15 carb is "puny". And that I could speed more if I replaced it (with a 20/20). And that if I also messed with jets and replaced her "crusty" pipe, Blue would have a youthful rejuvenation and be much happier.

Hmmm. Well honestly, after hearing this proposition, my first thoughts were kinda "nah". I need that situation like a hole in the head. I appreciate the generous offer but it's not for me. Adoption always comes with mega challenges, attachment periods, angst, and so on. I haven't even taken the carb out of Blue and cleaned it before, never mind replacing a pipe. And from what I read frequently on MV, jets are always needing to be "sorted" and "dialed in". Sounds like a headache. So, really thanks, but no thanks.

Then the idea percolated for a few days. And I went on a long ride. And Blue kinda wheezed at 45 mph. And a kid in a basic mom-sedan went around me on a side street. And I thought maybe I was not giving the idea a fair chance. Maybe I'd just get a few second opinions....

Some things that ran though my mind when I was percolating:

1. I'm barely past the stage where I've only thought of carbs as carbohydrates. I obviously can run YouTube and Google, and read the Haynes (confusing), but that's about it. Learning curve is steep.

2. I love the words "all original" and hesitate to introduce youthful body parts to my aged but still lovely Blue. Kinda like Grandma with new boob job.

3. I have limited time (i.e. not retired, four kids, job, etc).

4. I have no garage to work in, so would have to be able to do the project quickly, definitely by end of September/early October.

5. I have a small toolbox full of basic little tools. That's it. No big man toys in my garage.

6. I really just prefer to ride in my spare minutes, not wrench. I'm not a tinkerer.

7. Blue has run so, so reliably lately. She and I have been having fun times with no fighting to spoil things.

8. I know. I'm overthinking it. But that's what I do when something seems difficult.

Sooo, the lovely offer on the table sits. It's more tempting than I originally thought. And I hate to turn down opportunity and generosity.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. And please don't sugarcoat them just because it's V oodoo's suggestion. He is very persuasive, but I need to know if it's the right choice for ME and Blue.

I'll post up pics of current carb/pipe later today.

Here's a little lakeside pic from one of our favorite routes. Not a great pic because I popped Blue up on the pedestrian-only sidewalk while the boat attendant guy turned his head. No time for optimum photo positioning.

IMG_4815.JPG

Last edited by Kimono32 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:49 am quote
Here's another pic that I kinda like. See the outfits? Yep, back to SCHOOL=more time to ride Blue. Love the buggers, but they are not conducive to the scooter lifestyle.

IMG_4819.JPG

Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:05 pm quote
Looks a nice ride to the lake!

It is a tough decision that I think. Do you have someone that could do the work for you or do you really want to be able to do it yourself? There are lots of knowledgeable people here on options for kitting.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:55 pm quote
johnymoore wrote:

It is a tough decision that I think. Do you have someone that could do the work for you or do you really want to be able to do it yourself? There are lots of knowledgeable people here on options for kitting.
Yeah, I'd have to do the work myself. That's one of my hesitations. Thanks!
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm quote
"puny" carb

IMG_4874.PNG

Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm quote
"crusty" pipe

IMG_4875.PNG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm quote
So cute....

Man: Free carb, grab it, bolt it on, see if it pops wheelies then consider jetting issues.

Woman: Eight bullet points to consider, possible agonizing decision someday.

We love you, K, great kids too. I think one got your wild hair, poor thing.

No threadjack, but I'm making a list of available random Vespa goodies as soon as I saturate the local ppl. There is one of those 26/26 carbs if somebody thinks they can tame it. Also FOUR autolube oil tanks!
Hooked
1960 Series 2 Lambretta, 1962ish API series 2 Lambretta, 1974 Vespa Super 150, 1978 Rally 200, 1965 Allstate VNB
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:14 pm quote
I have a 20/20 on my '74 Super that replaced the 20/15D. Main jet is -- I believe -- a 95. The others I'll have to check. I also went with the larger PX filter at the same time.

For sure it has a bit more pep but it's still a Super. It's not going to win any races.

I'd grab the carb and throw it on there. If it makes you happy it's all good. If you liked it the way it was with the 20/15 you can always put it back on in 10 minutes.
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm quote
Get the 20/20 and a newer design (P-series) and it will wake up the engine some. It will not take much time at all to switch out, maybe an hour or so. You will not have to worry about what jets to install since that is already figured out. Put the original exhaust and carb in a box and store it somewhere. Once you get the new kit on, you won't want to go back.
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:18 pm quote
PS. Nice looking family you have there. I have four children as well, but my youngest is now at Clemson. Enjoy this time, it goes by all too fast.
Molto Verboso
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:59 pm quote
Hey Kimono! Take the offer - maybe you can even get him to ship it to you on his dime! Use the "I've got four kids to feed and clothe" card. He's a grandpa - he'll hook you up!

It's a pretty easy procedure if you've got a metric socket set, and a screwdriver.

Also, maybe you can get Voodoo to clean the carb before he sends it! Clean carb? - Check! And I'd be willing to bet he's got an extra gasket or two laying around he'd send along with the carb.

Even if you don't install anything until next year - it'll be waiting. And I think what he's proposed is a sound setup without going crazy.

My 2 cents....

BTW - Beautiful kids!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 pm quote
What ARE you on Scott, I'd like some of that! Like seniors scraping by on Social Security can just throw money at every sweet young thing w/ a sob story that comes along. Thanks buddy, now I'm gonna be a cheapskate grampa if I don't! Great, and free gaskets must be included now too

Well, OK.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
Man: Free carb, grab it, bolt it on, see if it pops wheelies then consider jetting issues.

Woman: Eight bullet points to consider, possible agonizing decision someday.
Guilty as charged for WAY overthinking/over posting.

I put a warning at the top of the post so men who have short attention spans can just read the Clif notes.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 pm quote
pemkt wrote:
I'd grab the carb and throw it on there....you can always put it back on in 10 minutes.
Doubt it. More like 4 hours of pain, but appreciate the vote of confidence. Thanks, pemkt.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 pm quote
Tierney wrote:
PS. Nice looking family you have there. I have four children as well, but my youngest is now at Clemson. Enjoy this time, it goes by all too fast.
Thanks, tierney. Yeah, I know you do. You were an inspiration for me back when I was wondering if I'd even have time to ride a scooter, much less wrench. And I also remember when you had to sell your Rally to pay for your son's dorm costs. Congrats on your empty nest status! (Go buy another Rally )
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:46 pm quote
qascooter wrote:
Hey Kimono! Take the offer - maybe you can even get him to ship it to you on his dime! Use the "I've got four kids to feed and clothe" card. He's a grandpa - he'll hook you up!

It's a pretty easy procedure if you've got a metric socket set, and a screwdriver.

Also, maybe you can get Voodoo to clean the carb before he sends it! Clean carb? - Check! And I'd be willing to bet he's got an extra gasket or two laying around he'd send along with the carb.

Even if you don't install anything until next year - it'll be waiting. And I think what he's proposed is a sound setup without going crazy.

My 2 cents....

BTW - Beautiful kids!
Well, these are all GREAT ideas!! I like your style, qua. That could give me 2 more years before having to learn how to clean a carb (whatdya do? just hose it down? Windex?)

Thanks for the brilliant suggestions!
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:56 pm quote
Hey Kimono! Long time since I've heard from you. Blue is looking good! My opinion on the carb (take with a grain of salt -- I don't know a lot about two-strokes) is that as long as Blue is running well, though maybe slower than she once was, is leave the carb alone until you're sure there isn't any other cause for slowing down -- needs new spark plug, carbon buildup in the ports or cylinder, low compression, etc.

Anyway, enjoy the riding in the time between back-to-school and snow falling!
Molto Verboso
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:54 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
What ARE you on Scott, I'd like some of that! Like seniors scraping by on Social Security can just throw money at every sweet young thing w/ a sob story that comes along. Thanks buddy, now I'm gonna be a cheapskate grampa if I don't! Great, and free gaskets must be included now too

Well, OK.
Hahaha! I love you man. And if it helps - I'll send you the gaskets.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:27 pm quote
Take the carb Kimono ... Voodooís right, the 20/15 is puny, the bare minimum of carbs.

Iím 100% sure heíll throw in some jets if you just ask him.

Oh and y the way, thereís an upgraded exhaust (that was once on Brownie the Wonder Super) just taking up space in my garage. Itís yours if you want it.

With a 20/20 carb and better exhaust your scoot will move with new confidence. Kind of like getting it new back to school clothes.
Ossessionato
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:49 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Tierney wrote:
Thanks, tierney. Yeah, I know you do. You were an inspiration for me back when I was wondering if I'd even have time to ride a scooter, much less wrench. And I also remember when you had to sell your Rally to pay for your son's dorm costs. Congrats on your empty nest status! (Go buy another Rally )
Yeah, I'm looking all the time for that next one now that I can see some light at the end of this long tunnel. It probably won't be another Rally, those things are just too rare to find. Which is fine, it's the Super I miss the most. Funny how when you need to sell, you can't get squat for it. But when you want to buy, the prices are ridiculous.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:54 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
My opinion on the carb (take with a grain of salt -- I don't know a lot about two-strokes) is that as long as Blue is running well, though maybe slower than she once was, is leave the carb alone D
Finally, a dissenting opinion. Thank you JK for giving your honest. Still pondering, like female. Hope your shiny red scoot has performed well for you this summer
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:26 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Oh and y the way, thereís an upgraded exhaust (that was once on Brownie the Wonder Super) just taking up space in my garage. Itís yours if you want it.
Thanks, socalguy for the great advice and offer of exhaust. I'd like to take you up on it, because I'm leaning towards trying some upgrades and seeing how it goes. PM me the value of the pipe/cost of shipping and I'm happy to pay you for it. Really appreciate it. Plus it's coming from Brownie Wonder which is cool, like big brother giving little sister his old basketball
Hooked
2001 LML 150
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Here's another pic that I kinda like. See the outfits? Yep, back to SCHOOL=more time to ride Blue. Love the buggers, but they are not conducive to the scooter lifestyle.
2 words.. Boarding School
Drop Ďem off at 8, pick Ďem up at 18..
😉
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:46 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
johnymoore wrote:

Yeah, I'd have to do the work myself. That's one of my hesitations. Thanks!
Are you going to get a cylinder kit also?
Banned
2:6
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:49 am quote
on swapping the exhaust, do consider ground clearance on the left side. the exhaust for the 8" wheel bikes have that nice angled lower half for a reason.
Hooked
'66 Super 150
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:06 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
on swapping the exhaust, do consider ground clearance on the left side. the exhaust for the 8" wheel bikes have that nice angled lower half for a reason.
Great point, oops. Thanks!

Johny--not really sure what a cylinder kit is, so not planning on it.

Philos--sounds VERY expensive, but would allow time for lots of wrenching. Will consider
Hooked
1964 GS160, 1966 90ss

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:47 pm quote
Let's not bury the lede: changing the exhaust can royally suck eggs.

Sure, 10 minutes is the happy path. Unless the rusty manifold bolt snaps. Unless the lower bolt is seized in the swingarm. Unless the exhaust won't clear the rear tire. Unless the new one takes some "persuasion" and extra bending to fit properly, etc.

I don't want to dissuade you, but unless it's stranding you, your scoot is fine. At least until you get bored in the dead of winter.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:51 pm quote
I have to agree in this case.
Maybe later, we have a talented but beginner mechanic here w/ a small toolchest that nearly gave up when a simple job went south last time.
Fortunately girl's got grit and she pulled through nicely, but that was broke and this ain't.

In fact isn't the Super muff more like a P rather than the older more restrictive side inlet ones?

Carb is easy & optional, muff could wait for a full tool box and a passion for the fast lane.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...151617Next
[ Time: 0.6897s ][ Queries: 25 (0.1711s) ][ Debug on ]