From Dreamer to Owner, now what?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...192021Next
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:39 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Thanks for the glove tip. I have some thicker black ones, but the gas seems to eat right through them. My fingers still smell like fuel and I’ve washed them a million times.
Get some of the heavier 7-mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight.

Wait, I might have some that are too small for me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:44 pm quote
Loan her an 11mm socket setup while you are at it to pull the carb if needed?
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:48 pm quote
So, here’s what I did this afternoon, not much time to fiddle around. I mean banjo, ha ha.

1. Tightened all screws. They were loose. Afterwards, gas still dripping slowly from 2-3 points. Even with tap off. Underneath the engine is an utter filthy disgrace. I probably should not be allowed to own a scooter.

2. Tried to kick scoot with air filter and air box cover off. Nope. Wouldn’t. Made weird sucking noise. Maybe you can’t start it with those missing components, idk.

3. Checked spark plug again. Didn’t have torque wrench to check torque. Wanted to check for spark but wasn’t quite sure how to wrap wire around the plug. And only had picture hanging wire anyway. Also thought the fuel on the ground might ignite.

3. Gas leaked the entire time I was in the driveway. Couldn’t get it to stop by tightening screws. Or by turning tap off.

4. Gave up, kind of discouraged. Put it all back together. Kicked it once more for good measure and boom! It fired right up. Idled great. No blipping the throttle either. Just a nice steady idle.

5. Hit the kill switch so I could re-check, see if it was a fluke. Kicked it again. Bam! On the first kick! Now I’m getting all excited. Tried it again. Yep. Again. Second kick, but still good. Again. Again. Again. Again. Starting great now. Doesn’t even seem to be leaking anymore.

6. Hallelujah! She fixed herself! I’m off the hook

7. Could I be this lucky?

4967E0A5-F70A-45E1-A3EA-0407550E14B8.jpeg

Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:53 pm quote
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm quote
Check out this MESS!!!!! Take the scooter away from her.......

414BDC5E-F723-41DC-A964-48EE8A974782.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:18 pm quote
lucky?
Yes. Vespas are actually good luck charms and this kind of behavior is common if they are given enuff desired attention occasionally whatever is actually accomplished. BTW, you need a new muff one of these fine days, looks like that one has been around for a while and may even have a teeny hole in the header pipe(That big dark tubing thing that goes from your motor to actual muffler). Bad case of rust craters there. No worries though, just replace it when the noise annoys you, not just the neighbors.
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:17 pm quote
So you had fuel flow on reserve testing yesterday and now that you’ve filled the tank up, do you have fuel flow at ON?

Could you maybe have fun low on gas two days ago and only needed to switch to reserve?
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:00 pm quote
MJRally wrote:
So you had fuel flow on reserve testing yesterday and now that you’ve filled the tank up, do you have fuel flow at ON?

Could you maybe have fun low on gas two days ago and only needed to switch to reserve?
Good question, but I think the answer is no. I’ve run it way lower than that and been totally fine.

Last night it was running good on ON, but ONLY after I had it switched to and running on reserve first. I think that’s a clue.

This morning I checked things out in the garage. The puddle of gas in the Tupperware container looked the same as when I left it last night. So, the leak seems to have stopped.

I turned the tap to ON and kicked it. Wow! One kick and she fired right up! But, then died 12 seconds later. Kicked a few more times, but no go.

Turned the tap to reserve. Kick. Fire! Runs! Keeps running! Yay!!

Killed and kicked several times just to verify. Yep. Works great. No issues.

Played around with the tap a little. Found that reserve works reliably, ON doesn’t usually work (but sometimes will if it’s just been switched from reserve), and OFF sometimes does. “Sometimes, usually, hopefully”...... not good enough. Want and need reliable, so I need to fix the problem. And not just continue riding happily on reserve, which I’ll admit is a tempting option for lazy mechanics.

There was no visible gas leak the whole time I was messing around. I’m going to go for a short ride and stay close to home and see if I get lucky.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:15 pm quote
I may draft up a little how to for removing the gas tank and you could get Dave at Mercato to send you one of the little rubber disks that goes inside the tap body. This forms the seal when you rotate the handle to let gas thru or not. When they get old and worn or damaged, they don't always cooperate as they should and must be retired. If that's all it is, and usually that's it, you won't even have to remove the tap, just 2 little screws.

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Fuel-Taps-and-Parts/13836

If you wanna replace the whole tap for any reason, somebody will loan you a wrench, but it's a little tuffer job. It can be hairpulling if it's stuck in there good or sometimes quite easy. But let's be hair careful, flywheel fan or fuel tap! You need one of them cafeteria lady hair catcher things.
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:44 pm quote

That old rusty muff isn’t long for this world. I’ve got a couple of spares in my pile of Super stuff and offer still stands ... if ya want one, just say.

E822AE44-4217-4212-BF25-825E7E064843.jpeg

Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 pm quote
Which ever way is decided whether to change exhaust now or later I think it would be a good idea to give the bolt a good shot of penetrating oil , you will be happier down the road when it’s not seized up solid anymore.
Hooked
2001 LML 150
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:49 pm quote
Could it be the fuel tank/tap filter is partially blocked?

I had a similar thing happen when the internal filter was clogged up - it would only run with tap in reserve position.

Worth a look at cuz it's easy. Syphon fuel out, use flashlight and look for build up of crud on filter.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:51 pm quote
RB Prior wrote:
My brother has a 1965 VBB that was very difficult to start. It took many kicks to get it started. Then he had a CDI ignition installed and it now starts in the first three kicks.

Your start and die issue sounds like a fuel problem. Try pouring a little fuel down into the carb throat and then try to start it. If it fires right up and then quits, you have a fuel supply problem.

As for your plug, install a new one and torque it properly. I torque mine to 16 1/2 ft lbs. You seem to have some blow by your on the plug.

Good luck.
Thank you, RB. Good info here.

After Blue was starting so easily this morning, it was a surprising struggle when I came back two hours later. Kick, kick, kick.

I wanted to try your fuel test, but wasn’t sure which part is the carb throat. I’m thinking it’s #1? Right?

“Blow by”. So that’s what you call that plug muck? Gross, but doesn’t sound disastrous.

Thanks much for your help!

30606645-E3EB-4EAC-A552-CA8E0FE57252.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:09 pm quote
Lynnb wrote:
Well Kimono this was such an interesting read from the first you received Blue to now getting to know Blue via having to troubleshoot it. That is one beautiful bike , I’m glad you didn’t do the upgrades on it, runs/ran good and will give you many years of enjoyment.
Thank you, Lynnb! Yes, I’m very fond of Blue as you can probably tell and we have had lots of fun riding around together.

I agree with you—glad I didn’t do any upgrades because just the maintenance work is challenging enough for me. Though, it is getting a lil less intimidating
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:23 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
I may draft up a little how to for removing the gas tank and you could get Dave at Mercato to send you one of the little rubber disks that goes inside the tap body. This forms the seal when you rotate the handle to let gas thru or not. When they get old and worn or damaged, they don't always cooperate as they should and must be retired. If that's all it is, and usually that's it, you won't even have to remove the tap, just 2 little screws.

If you wanna replace the whole tap for any reason, somebody will loan you a wrench, but it's a little tuffer job. It can be hairpulling if it's stuck in there good or sometimes quite easy. But let's be hair careful, flywheel fan or fuel tap! You need one of them cafeteria lady hair catcher things.
Well now, ^^^^this plan^^^^ sounds like a lazy gurl’s dream. 2 screws and a simple rubber disc? SOLD!

I’ll order one from Mercato, add a stylish Vespa hairnet to my cart, and call it a day. Thank you, V oodoo!

PS: You’re saying the gas tank needs to be pulled though, right? Shoot. I had it so nicely emptied out. And now it’s plumb full of expensive E-free again. Waste of $6.

D1A30388-E627-4C35-8020-4A2C5845BDA5.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:23 pm quote
"After Blue was starting so easily this morning, it was a surprising struggle when I came back two hours later. Kick, kick, kick."

If I had a nickel for every time I........

At this point before I go nutz and start kicking things other that the start lever, I realize that, assuming it has spark(and yours does), it must have too little gas or too much. These things sometimes "flood" too easy and you need to know coz the fixes are different than no gas at all. So just pull the spark plug AGAIN and look at the business end if there's a problem with starting. If it seems wet with gas, then motor is flooded and has too much gas inside to catch fire w/ a wet plug. Now close the tap, open the throttle wide and kick it over a dozen or two times to clear out the crankcase some, you dry the plug best you can, reinstall and try again w/ no choke and don't open the tap until it fires up.

A wonky float needle can cause such flooding. Fuel flow test may be in order, both from the tank and into the carb can be measured. We can show how w/ a small pipe nipple & short length of fuel line. Just try to stump us, I bet a dollar you can't.

If you find a dry plug, you can try a little gas down throat #1 and it should fire now, maybe a teaspoon to a tablespoon, no more. But first try this little trick - I like to lean bike all the way right until RH bottom touches the ground, hold for 5 seconds while float bowl overflows a bit of gas into the motor to prime it nicely and then my motor generally fires right up, YAY!

If Blue now fires up nicely, but still randomly dies, there would seem to be more carb or gas tank cleaning to figure out. That or possibly wild card, tricky electrical gremlins at work.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:33 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
That old rusty muff isn’t long for this world. I’ve got a couple of spares in my pile of Super stuff and offer still stands ... if ya want one, just say.
Okay, SoCalGuy. I was a fool to turn you down the first time. This time I just will say Thank You very very much!!!

Really appreciate your offer yet AGAIN! Blue will get big bro Brownie’s basketball after all

Please pm me your address and I will send $$.
Hooked
1963 Allstate, 2005 Vespa PX150, 2001 Harley 95 ci Dyna
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:05 pm quote
Just pour a small amount of fuel in the carb throat. Yes, it is #1 in your photo. I use the 1:50 premix fuel that comes in a quart container you can get at Home Depot, Tractor Supply, or elsewhere. I use the container cap full of fuel and pour in in the carb throat. Then I sometimes put the quart can in my glovebox for a reserve if I run out.

If the bike starts right up with fuel in the carb throat and then dies in a few seconds, you have a fuel delivery problem. It could be from the needle all the way back to the fuel tank. Based on your symptoms, I am guessing it is in the fuel system. If so, this is good as this part of the Vespa is easy to work on and fix. Keep smiling.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 pm quote
Philos wrote:

I had a similar thing happen when the internal filter was clogged up - it would only run with tap in reserve position.

Worth a look at cuz it's easy. Syphon fuel out, use flashlight and look for build up of crud on filter.
this is what i was thinking as well...i don't have knowledge of this particular scooter but all small carbureted engines are the similar...usually i say to check the easy things first...

-loosen/remove the gas cap and try to start to make sure the gas cap is venting properly and you're not pulling a vacuum

-check/clean/replace the air filter

-pull the plug clean it plug it back in ground the end on the frame and try to start and see if you can see reliable spark...replace if older cause you sometimes can't tell if it's sparking correctly by eye

-dump some seafoam into the fuel tank and try to start to circulate it to try to clean the carb a bit

-check fuel filters and screens to see if there is anything blocking them...clean the screens if needed (are there fuel screens on the tap inside the tank on this model?)...check the inside of the tank for rust scales with a flashlight...if it looks bad you may want to buy a por-15 kit and seal the inside of the tank

-check/remove/replace fuel lines and check for blockages, cracks and collapses...just replace them if they are older

-get a bottle and and some forceps and pull the fuel hose off the carburetor and make sure you have a consistent fuel flow on both on and reserve settings...if only consistent on 1 of the 2 settings remove the fuel tap/shutoff valve and inspect...obviously drain/siphon all the fuel out first

-pull the carb and check to make sure the carb float doesn't have a hole in and is full of fuel causing the carb to flood and check that the needle valve spring is installed correctly

-check all carb rubbers and the needle valve as well

-pull the jets and clean with a guitar wire, carb cleaner or compressed air

-clean everything with carb cleaner reassemble and try again

-the more expensive easy way is to buy an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight...remove the carb...remove the bowl...put everything in the ultrasonic cleaner with a solution of simple green HD (purple) and water...turn the heat on and turn it on...run it through a few cycles...change the solution if it gets really dirty...rinse in fresh water...dry everything with compressed air and a hair drier...reassemble and try again

-rebuild the carb with a rebuild kit if needed

-cdi replacement...if the cost is low and it's easy to get to this should be higher on the list

that's all i can think of at the moment...good luck!
Hooked
Vespa
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:59 pm quote
I'll buy that old rusty muffler if you are throwing it away.
Ossessionato
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:54 pm quote
Not to throw shade on other's suggestions, but this has been a fuel delivery problem from the first. This scoot does not have a CDI, it has points and condensers. There are two filters, one in the carb and one in the tank at the petcock. It may also have a sediment bowl, after you pull the tank, you'll find out. It does not have a venting problem at this time. Seafoam is snake oil. Sealing a tank is a waste of time and money on these scoots. With the oil/gas mix there usually is not much rust and if it is bad it is probably cheaper (and better) to just replace. I agree on the fuel line, if in doubt, replace - hopefully with Tygon. No reason to pull the carb at this time, just a tap rebuild and float needle. These are very simple carbs, and there is very little that usually goes wrong. Stay the course Kimono, you'll be fine.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:39 pm quote
Hey K32,

Oh my, what an adventure you got to have!!!

Figured everybody was chiming in, so I'd give it a go!

The ole KISS principle applies. I agree with Voodoo, Tierney, MJ, and a few others. Fuel delivery problem. Possible electrical gremlin is always there though. But this one sounds like fuel. I'd start there to eliminate any fuel issues.

Pulling the tank (easier than it sounds) is the way to go. While it's out you can really see what's going on when you move the fuel tap into (from left to right) Off (pointing to the left when you're sitting on it), On (straight up), or Reserve (Pointing to the right or engine side). It shouldn't have fuel coming out in the Off position, and should in the On (as long as fuel is above the fuel filter in the tank), and Reserve should work pretty much all the time there is fuel in the tank.

Once the tank is out, putting it up on saw horses, or propping it up somehow works nicely. a couple of boards on the saw horses, then hanging the tank on the top flange is how I usually do it. I've hung it up before with rope through the bolt holes too.

And yes, gotta replace the fuel line, and probably the rubber gasket thingy inside the petcock.

There are a couple of types of petcocks, or fuel taps. One has a glass sediment catcher on it. It's pretty cool, but out of date. I replaced B-62's with a modern one. $13. But I already had the wrench that removes the nut inside the tank.

This will at least let you know everything from the tank to the carburetor is in good working order. If it still acts punky, then I'd look at the carb, the next thing in the fuel delivery system.

OK, I KNOW you got this. BTW, the screw for the carb fuel filter isn't that mangled.

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:20 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
..... assuming it has spark(and yours does), it must have too little gas or too much. So just pull the spark plug AGAIN and look at the business end if there's a problem with starting. If it seems wet with gas, then motor is flooded and has too much gas inside to catch fire w/ a wet plug. Now close the tap, open the throttle wide and kick it over a dozen or two times to clear out the crankcase some, you dry the plug best you can, reinstall and try again w/ no choke and don't open the tap until it fires up.

If you find a dry plug, you can....try this little trick - I like to lean bike all the way right until RH bottom touches the ground, hold for 5 seconds while float bowl overflows a bit of gas into the motor to prime it nicely and then my motor generally fires right up, YAY!

If Blue now fires up nicely, but still randomly dies, there would seem to be more carb or gas tank cleaning to figure out. That or possibly wild card, tricky electrical gremlins at work.
Well, that IS a nifty little trick, V oodoo. I only had 20 minutes after dinner to sneak out to the cold dark garage and try one little troubleshooting item.

Kicked 4 times with fuel tap ON, choke not pulled—no go.

Kicked 4 times with fuel tap ON, pulling choke for 5 seconds each time—no go. (Does the fuel from the choke run through the ON fuel line? Cause pulling choke seems to do nothing.)

Kicked 4 times with fuel tap RESERVE, twice with choke, twice without—no go.

Pulled plug. It looked dry to me. See pic.

Nervously tried the trick of leaning scoot all the way to the right for 5 seconds, thinking I would drop it. Oh! I’m really strong, I guess. No problem at all

Kicked. Once. And HOORAY!!!! The garage filled with smoke and LOUD roaring. Cause I had my throttle wide open.

The engine died within seconds, but I was able to do the trick a couple more times and get it to keep running on reserve, encouraging it with a lot of throttle. I rode around the block a few times in my parka, brrrr. It’s cold here. Expecting 10-12 inches of snow tonight. Fuel delivery seemed consistent, maybe a tiny falter every now and then. But maybe my imagination.

I feel so good! Like I finally made some progress. Knowing where the problem is coming from is kinda crucial. I’m going to focus on the fuel lines for now, since that seems to be the main issue. Maybe not the only one, but a good place to start.

I looked closely at my fuel tap and it seems to be missing a gasket or something. I can just wiggle the tap around in the hole like a straw in a pop can. That might be a problem, eh? And looks like a squirrel gnawed on my choke knob.

Tons of great advice from so many of you. Thank you so much. I am learning, slowly but surely. The mental tool box has about, oh, five tools now.

74CDCF35-E51A-4CA9-9678-783BD62EF488.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 pm quote
Poor choke. D*mn squirrel.

688C3A6C-5858-46AB-B678-9105283512AF.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:33 pm quote
Oh, one last thing. After my little ride, I turned the tap to OFF and was able to run the fuel totally out. That doesn’t always work, but tonight I’m just getting lucky.
Ossessionato
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:45 pm quote
There is a grommet that goes between the fuel selector rod and the opening in the body, order one along with the other parts - float needle, fuel line and peacock selector 4 hole rubber gasket. Good luck, stay warm.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 pm quote
Agreed. I think you'd be safe blowing $10.20 on a new heavy wall proper nonkinky nonhardened gas line, the four hole rubber doohickey to fix your old tap if that's OK enough and a tiny needle valve that's the most expensive and a smart spare if yours looks good.
http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Fuel-Taps-and-Parts/FUELLINE

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Needles-and-Floats/150045

and the fuel lever grommet you're missing for your soda can straw, 82 MORE cents, sorry.
http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Grommets/132538

If you find your plastic float has gas in it, no good, but I or a half dozen others will send one of our many spares. That's right, for FREE. Happy Thanksgiving!
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 pm quote
Man I’m finding this thread really interesting and informative. Kimono I could make some suggestions but truth be told I know nothing about running these bikes , on the other hand these peeps that are helping I consider hardcore and over the years I’ve learned best to sit back and take in what they have to offer, they’ll get you all fixed up.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:11 am quote
Tierney wrote:
Not to throw shade on other's suggestions, but this has been a fuel delivery problem from the first. This scoot does not have a CDI, it has points and condensers. There are two filters, one in the carb and one in the tank at the petcock. It may also have a sediment bowl, after you pull the tank, you'll find out. It does not have a venting problem at this time. Seafoam is snake oil. Sealing a tank is a waste of time and money on these scoots. With the oil/gas mix there usually is not much rust and if it is bad it is probably cheaper (and better) to just replace. I agree on the fuel line, if in doubt, replace - hopefully with Tygon. No reason to pull the carb at this time, just a tap rebuild and float needle. These are very simple carbs, and there is very little that usually goes wrong. Stay the course Kimono, you'll be fine.
like i said i don't have any knowledge of the particular scooter...those suggestions were just general for small engines...but i have had good luck cleaning carbs without removing them with seafoam and bg 44k but to each their own...and as far as the tank rust goes...this is a used scooter so who knows how it was stored by the previous owner...a por-15 tank sealing kit costs $70...i have no idea what does a new tank costs...just throwing out options
Ossessionato
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 pm quote
Yes. I know you were trying to help, and I was being a jerk, I just did not want the OP to be overwhelmed by all the suggestions and get freaked out. This person is kinda new to scooters and it was a simple problem. Mea culpa.
Addicted
P125X, P200E
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03 pm quote
Kimono, I’ve enjoyed reading your posts from the very beginning and I must say that I’m impressed by the impact you have made on this forum. Your posts are fun and entertaining of course but I was thinking more of the influence you have had on the lexicon of the forum. I don’t believe that I have ever seen any other member use terms like “thingy”, “tippy top”, “plug muck” “teensy weensy” “cute lil’ carb”, “yucky spray” or “floaty thingmabob”. At least not until now.

I couldn’t help but notice that on 11/26 Voodoo posted his recommendation that you buy “the four-hole rubber doohickey” to fix your fuel tap. Inspiring one of the guys to add “doohickey” to his vocabulary is impressive indeed!
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:49 pm quote
Fatbear5 wrote:
Kimono, I’ve enjoyed reading your posts from the very beginning and I must say that I’m impressed by the impact you have made on this forum. Your posts are fun and entertaining of course but I was thinking more of the influence you have had on the lexicon of the forum. I don’t believe that I have ever seen any other member use terms like “thingy”, “tippy top”, “plug muck” “teensy weensy” “cute lil’ carb”, “yucky spray” or “floaty thingmabob”. At least not until now.

I couldn’t help but notice that on 11/26 Voodoo posted his recommendation that you buy “the four-hole rubber doohickey” to fix your fuel tap. Inspiring one of the guys to add “doohickey” to his vocabulary is impressive indeed!
Bwah, ha ha ha. Thanks, Fatbear. My ignorance of scooter part names is rather shameful.

Since it’s Thanksgiving today, I would like to express thankfulness to all of the many kind MV members who have accommodated my beginner wrenching status. By using “low intimidation” terminology and explaining basic mechanics in easy-to-understand steps, you have helped me through the growing pains of vintage scooter maintenance and repair.

THANK YOU!!!! I seriously appreciate it.

A8B4AFB5-D02F-42ED-9439-4206CE94102F.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:30 pm quote
true confessions
Fatbear5 wrote:

Actually she may be a bad influence on me. I was doing well learning the proper names of these pieces and would google up a good explanation if I was unsure. But that would be wasted here and now I kinda like just tossing out 'carby thingamabob' when I'm unsure, and nobody will say that's just wrong. Just here, though.

And Ms K, I want to thank you for your unusually earnest, but always entertaining major/minor scooter struggles, depending one's point of view. But if you REALLY want to thank us, how about posting up a lil piano concerto, if you really can play? You won't.
Ossessionato
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:29 am quote
something by Chopin....
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:40 am quote
ph0ngvu wrote:
I'll buy that old rusty muffler if you are throwing it away.
Well, ph0ngvu, the line for that old rusty muff is pretty long, but luckily you got there first

Can’t imagine why you would want it, but it’s yours if/when I trash it.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:43 am quote
Point37 wrote:
Tierney wrote:
like i said i don't have any knowledge of the particular scooter...those suggestions were just general for small engines...but i have had good luck cleaning carbs without removing them with seafoam and bg 44k but to each their own...and as far as the tank rust goes...this is a used scooter so who knows how it was stored by the previous owner...a por-15 tank sealing kit costs $70...i have no idea what does a new tank costs...just throwing out options
Thank you both for all your tips and info. Point37, I’m kind of the village idiot here on the forum, so all your suggestions were very valid, I’m sure, but not too easy for me to execute. Tierney, thanks for watching out for the V.I.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:51 am quote
qascooter wrote:
Hey K32,

Oh my, what an adventure you got to have!!!

Figured everybody was chiming in, so I'd give it a go!

The ole KISS principle applies. I agree with Voodoo, Tierney, MJ, and a few others. Fuel delivery problem. Possible electrical gremlin is always there though. But this one sounds like fuel. I'd start there to eliminate any fuel issues.

Pulling the tank (easier than it sounds) is the way to go. While it's out you can really see what's going on when you move the fuel tap into (from left to right) Off (pointing to the left when you're sitting on it), On (straight up), or Reserve (Pointing to the right or engine side). It shouldn't have fuel coming out in the Off position, and should in the On (as long as fuel is above the fuel filter in the tank), and Reserve should work pretty much all the time there is fuel in the tank.

Once the tank is out, putting it up on saw horses, or propping it up somehow works nicely. a couple of boards on the saw horses, then hanging the tank on the top flange is how I usually do it. I've hung it up before with rope through the bolt holes too.

And yes, gotta replace the fuel line, and probably the rubber gasket thingy inside the petcock.

There are a couple of types of petcocks, or fuel taps. One has a glass sediment catcher on it. It's pretty cool, but out of date. I replaced B-62's with a modern one. $13. But I already had the wrench that removes the nut inside the tank.

This will at least let you know everything from the tank to the carburetor is in good working order. If it still acts punky, then I'd look at the carb, the next thing in the fuel delivery system.

OK, I KNOW you got this. BTW, the screw for the carb fuel filter isn't that mangled.

Well, thanks, qa! I’ve watched you pull and hang tanks. And mess around with the fuel tap. You posted up nice step-by-step pics as I recall. I’ll have to go back and refresh my memory.

MAYBE, just maybe, I’ll consider pulling my tank after Christmas when I can’t ride and need my scooter fix.

You’d chow through about 100 boxes of popcorn watching me do it though. S L O W G O I N G. . . . .
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:57 am quote
Philos wrote:

Philos—this makes a lot of sense. And “it’s easy”? Perfect. I’ll just have to figure out how to siphon gas first. Can’t be too hard. Broke teenagers in my hometown used to do it all the time. Thank you!
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:18 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
Fatbear5 wrote:

Actually she may be a bad influence on me. I was doing well learning the proper names of these pieces and would google up a good explanation if I was unsure. But that would be wasted here and now I kinda like just tossing out 'carby thingamabob' when I'm unsure, and nobody will say that's just wrong. Just here, though.

And Ms K, I want to thank you for your unusually earnest, but always entertaining major/minor scooter struggles, depending one's point of view. But if you REALLY want to thank us, how about posting up a lil piano concerto, if you really can play? You won't.
Yah, V oodoo, I’m definitely dragging down the integrity of this whole serious scooter business. Sorry. Will pledge in the New Year to only use technical terms and never swear. This will probably last about as long as my other past resolutions. NOT telling how long that is, either.

Thank you for posting up all the links to the parts I need for my fuel tap. That was SO helpful. I’ve got my Mercato shopping cart loaded up, but my total charge amount is so tiny ($11.45) that I’m browsing around for more goodies. Anybody need anything?

When I get the repair parts, I might try to take a space heater out to the garage and give it a go. Cause I just hate to leave a broken down Blue out there for the whole winter. Sub-zero temps are pretty tough to work in, though. Fingers get too stiff.

And most unfortunately, MV is unable to host video. So sad. But, I played this little piece a few minutes ago, Chopin as requested. You’ll just have to use your little imagination for the sound effects

think I can’t really play? Sheesh!

DCD77171-6E4C-4BFE-A02B-CFA98862D1D3.jpeg

Ossessionato
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:15 am quote
Raindrop : Good choice for spring and rainy days, but I guess it works for this time of year as well.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...192021Next
[ Time: 0.1898s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0501s) ][ Debug on ]