From Dreamer to Owner, now what?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...23242526Next
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:43 am quote
Looking good, under the mat cleaned up nicely. Really good tip from oopsclunkthud on gluing down centre mat which I happened to also not do.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:32 pm quote
Jack221 wrote:
Kimono32 wrote:
A lot of residential stop-and-go wears my wrist out something fierce. So, Iíve just accepted that this is the year of putzy repairs and next year Iíll ride more.

When something happens to the clutch, which unfortunately it will at some point; don't fix it. Yours will have an old style six spring. Forget this and buy yourself a whole new Cosa clutch. These are much softer and work better. Maybe get one for Christmas. You'll love it and wish you'd done it sooner.
Thanks, Jack. My clutch is the next looming project, I think. It shifts poorly, sometimes sticks in 2.5 gear, almost bucking me off, and clunks really loud and proud between 3 and 4. I know itís unhealthy, but it intimidates me to fix it, so I just keep limping along.

Iíll look into the Cosa clutch and thanks for the recommendation. I sprained a finger on my left hand a month ago and itís adding to my clutching pain.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 pm quote
Lynnb wrote:
Looking good, under the mat cleaned up nicely. Really good tip from oopsclunkthud on gluing down centre mat which I happened to also not do.
Ha, ha, Lynn. Glad Iím not the only one that didnít glue the mat. I might go back and do it this Fall, but I donít ride in the rain and I store it in a garage, so medium on the priority list.

Tell me if you try it, ok?
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:48 pm quote
Btw, MJ, you made me feel a bit guilty for not riding much this season, so I went for an evening ride this week. It was so beautiful! Iíll spare you the girl goosh, but almost brought a tear to my eye. It was that good!

Thanks for pushing me. I stopped at this little independent repair shop that always has some interesting vintage cars in the lot. Check out the awesome Stingray!

E1239E82-B20A-4464-9FFC-49C334589A1C.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:49 pm quote
Cool!

0FCD660F-A4E8-4A50-8266-2F34D75A1897.jpeg

Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:54 pm quote
K- Didnít mean to come down hard on you. I was just throwing out a little reminder that repairs can wait till later. Nows the time to enjoy yourself and ride!

Without the gentle push though, would you have ever found the repair shop? I wonder what youíll find next ride???
Banned
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:37 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Well, thank you, V oodoo!! I appreciate the compliments on Blueís shiny paint. Smoothing her skin was the fun part and I saved it for last (still working on it). I much prefer the exterior beautification project to the interior design like https://planner5d.com/use/kitchen-planner-tool/ greasy grunt work, but I realize BOTH are necessary for good scooter health and behavior.
There are so many beautiful and breathtaking pictures here! I like almost every one of them. And the solution to keep all of them in one place and to choose the best for me the interior design was one of the best.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:47 pm quote
Just some pictorial evidence of a hot sultry summer ride tonight.....

Iím enjoying every last one

EC7C6C45-2A4C-4499-B2E5-2C9C5A1E5BB4.jpeg

Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:54 pm quote
Very nice - very, very nice! I love the ...Accessory... Blue is sporting.
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 pm quote
Great pic.
Very cute.
You gotta be (almost) famous in town.
Saw you were trying to get some touch up paint.
You could try and mix a couple of your colors to get closer?
Perhaps a bit of sugar fix with a splash of bikini so teeny?
Could always test the mix on your nails for a few days to ponder.
Each nail a touch different.
Editors note: don't recall typing that anywhere before.
Failing that - my guess - the guys at the local auto paint shop would double back flip to help you out if they saw you pull up on the scoot - quick motor rev before you shut down should bring the counter to a complete stand still.
Make sure to post some pics.
-CM
Molto Verboso
Vespa
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:32 am quote
Scoot is looking sexy Kimono and Charlie you crack me up thanks
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:18 am quote
The scooter looks fantastic.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:52 pm quote
qascooter wrote:
Why, thanks, qa!!!

That ďaccessoryĒ is a nice birthday gift from my sister. It is fabricated from an old Mexican falsa blanket and a vintage leather belt. It has the name Lopez stamped on it, along with a herd of wild ponies. It may have been J-Loís belt, but who knows?? Ha ha.

And stay tuned...

Sister #2 is birthday gifting me with a vintage-style lidded wicker basket that I will customize to Blueís curves. Then Iíll no longer have a purse strap obscuring my speedometer......

ďOfficer, I have NO IDEA how fast I was going because, see, this purse strap....Ē

5B422E70-9387-4E00-B3C5-3BDCDE7BCD87.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:07 pm quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Great pic.
Very cute.
You gotta be (almost) famous in town.
Saw you were trying to get some touch up paint.
You could try and mix a couple of your colors to get closer?
Perhaps a bit of sugar fix with a splash of bikini so teeny?
Could always test the mix on your nails for a few days to ponder.
Each nail a touch different.
Editors note: don't recall typing that anywhere before.
Failing that - my guess - the guys at the local auto paint shop would double back flip to help you out if they saw you pull up on the scoot - quick motor rev before you shut down should bring the counter to a complete stand still.
Make sure to post some pics.
-CM
CM, the man with a masterplan and some really great ideas.

ďTry paint out on fingernails first......Ē

But of course!!!! Why didnít I think of that?

20 possible different mixing options to fiddle-faddle around with and eventually Iíll end up with 20 gorgeous shiny nails PLUS a custom scoot paint match.

And if that extensive option fails, just rev it up loud and obnoxiously at the automotive shop while pleading for help.... (and donít think I wonít!)

You made me laugh, thanks!

And seriously great ideas, too.

PS: I read your thread, but no comment usually, cuz way beyond my skill set. But I believe in learning by osmosis. Squish points, icky poo.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:26 pm quote
Hibbert and Lynnb, thanks for the nice comments!

I gotta say, fingers crossed, Blue is looking better than ever and running great, too. She starts cold on the 3rd kick. Knock on wood, throw salt over left shoulder, spit on Grandmaís grave.....

I think Iíve paid my dues up through next Spring....

Or when my clutch goes, whichever comes first.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
qascooter wrote:
Why, thanks, qa!!!

That ďaccessoryĒ is a nice birthday gift from my sister. It is fabricated from an old Mexican falsa blanket and a vintage leather belt. It has the name Lopez stamped on it, along with a herd of wild ponies. It may have been J-Loís belt, but who knows?? Ha ha.

And stay tuned...

Sister #2 is birthday gifting me with a vintage-style lidded wicker basket that I will customize to Blueís curves. Then Iíll no longer have a purse strap obscuring my speedometer......

ďOfficer, I have NO IDEA how fast I was going because, see, this purse strap....Ē

I've got to remember that purse strap excuse! Sorry, I mean European Carryall in my case.

Great looking scoot BTW but you know that Hope Blue treats you well and that clutch hangs on.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:32 pm quote
Gimme a holler if you need help with that clutch. I'm only a couple hours away.

Best,
-Slashy
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:56 pm quote
Kimono reading back about the rough clutch or is it possibly just cables arenít adjusted proper, I donít know as my first and only trial run clutch seemed to do its job but I was skipping past gears and because I have a new clutch installed Iím thinking either I donít or not familiar with the gear placement shifting or the cables arenít adjusted proper. Is it possible you need to adjust your cables? To change clutch itself is actually quite easy, hardest part is getting the clutch basket over the key on reassembly. Believe it or not Iíve been riding big cc bikes for well over 40 years and this little scoot does intimidate me, I have a great respect for yous that ride these scoots
Molto Verboso
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:59 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
It is fabricated from an old Mexican falsa blanket and a vintage leather belt. It has the name Lopez stamped on it, along with a herd of wild ponies. It may have been J-Loís belt, but who knows?? Ha ha.
When I was younger I had a mexican poncho made out of the same material and looked identical. And a couple of mexican blankets. I slept in those blankets on the beach more times than I can remember... It was a nice memory seeing your awesome bag, and the belt for a strap - Fabulosa! I'll see if I can find a picture from when I was a little fry thinking I was a big fish....

You've got some cool sisters to hook you up with nice accessories for Blue. Very nice. My brother got me a Vespa Service flag for the garage/shop. Not as cool as your bag, but very awesome of him to get the perfect gift.

20200826_185550_resized.jpg

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:07 pm quote
qascooter wrote:
Kimono32 wrote:
It is fabricated from an old Mexican falsa blanket and a vintage leather belt. It has the name Lopez stamped on it, along with a herd of wild ponies. It may have been J-Loís belt, but who knows?? Ha ha.
When I was younger I had a mexican poncho made out of the same material and looked identical. And a couple of mexican blankets. I slept in those blankets on the beach more times than I can remember... It was a nice memory seeing your awesome bag, and the belt for a strap - Fabulosa! I'll see if I can find a picture from when I was a little fry thinking I was a big fish....

You've got some cool sisters to hook you up with nice accessories for Blue. Very nice. My brother got me a Vespa Service flag for the garage/shop. Not as cool as your bag, but very awesome of him to get the perfect gift.
Back in the VW era ?
Molto Verboso
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:19 pm quote
Lynnb wrote:
Back in the VW era ?
I've owned a few This one was my latest and super fun in the dunes around this area. I got the heater working, the windshield wipers to work, and could go out in some major storms and park on the tallest dune, and get blown by the storm. Exciting

Oh, and Kimono - I bet B-62's clutch goes out before Blues does

OK, no more hiijacking of your thread. sorry

DSC02702.JPG
I dialed this 1976 1600cc bug in to be the dune rider....

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:57 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
I've got to remember that purse strap excuse! Sorry, I mean European Carryall in my case.

88CBC592-00A7-4EF6-8C9C-C9588669E482.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 pm quote
I knew it!

C3C46FC7-2C22-40DC-9D16-0EBC81515869.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:00 pm quote
Iím sure your ĒmurseĒ is cool, cuz I know youíve got good style!

Thanks, Harbinger
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:02 pm quote
And bonus points for your fur coat!

You Canadian kids and your fur.... beaver? Otter? Mink?

Looks good on the Ural, donít it?
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:16 pm quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Gimme a holler if you need help with that clutch. I'm only a couple hours away.

Best,
-Slashy
Such a wonderful offer, Slashy and thank you!

Guessing Iíll need a little clutch assistance before next Spring..... so, where exaaaactly in Iowa????? Maybe Iíll meet you halfway. Hoping itís more Mason City, and less Des Moines... although your capital building is sweet and due to random circumstances, Iíve been privileged to sit on your stateís magnificent house floor.

Good to see you back on the forum. Youíve always been so helpful Hope life is good for you.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:34 pm quote
Lynnb wrote:
Kimono reading back about the rough clutch or is it possibly just cables arenít adjusted proper, I donít know as my first and only trial run clutch seemed to do its job but I was skipping past gears and because I have a new clutch installed Iím thinking either I donít or not familiar with the gear placement shifting or the cables arenít adjusted proper. Is it possible you need to adjust your cables? To change clutch itself is actually quite easy, hardest part is getting the clutch basket over the key on reassembly. Believe it or not Iíve been riding big cc bikes for well over 40 years and this little scoot does intimidate me, I have a great respect for yous that ride these scoots
Lynnb, thanks for the good questions. Iíve tinkered with my clutch a lot and busted 2 or 3 adjuster bolts (the sad trauma made me block it out somewhat), but I really donít know if Iím doing it right.

Clutch just feels old and tired and clunky and maybe missing teeth? Thatís what I imagine anyway.

Thanks for the undeserved respect. Iím stubborn and love my scoot. Thatíll push me forward a long way.

Iíll ride it out until it quits.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm quote
qascooter wrote:

Qa, your Vespa flag is awesome!!! Love that your bro appreciates your scooter interests and gifts you accordingly. Looks great in your garage shop!

Ahhh, the ďBaja HoodieĒ It was still alive and well in my high school years and I was gifted one by my boyfriend after his family Cancun trip, ha ha ha, old memories. It really was the stiffest most uncomfortable jacket I ever wore! But, young love made me persist.

Such hippie goodness! I kinda collect those old Mexican blankets. Good for picnics, beach, display, you name it.

Love your VW dune cruiser. You may hijack this thread anytime for such cool things

Please do send that little fry pic...

0CD93B88-9994-43EB-8DD6-2E1CB52F5FF1.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:00 pm quote
It was unisex

57441A86-320B-4065-A04C-FF83C0D277F9.jpeg

Addicted
Viet-bodge
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:17 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Lynnb wrote:
Lynnb, thanks for the good questions. Iíve tinkered with my clutch a lot and busted 2 or 3 adjuster bolts (the sad trauma made me block it out somewhat), but I really donít know if Iím doing it right.

Clutch just feels old and tired and clunky and maybe missing teeth? Thatís what I imagine anyway.

Thanks for the undeserved respect. Iím stubborn and love my scoot. Thatíll push me forward a long way.

Iíll ride it out until it quits.
Kimono,
I'm down in Cedar Rapids, where the derecho just blew in and nuked us all from orbit.

Judging by your description, your problem may be one of several things. It may be worn out gears/ cruciform, clutch, selector, or just misadjusted cables. Some of these are minor things, others more of a PITA. Honestly, my guess at the moment is your clutch isn't the problem.
Whatever it is, I have the tools on hand to line it out and enough experience to get it done.
Of course... *you're* going to use the tools and actually do the job, because the important bit is that *you* know how to do it and have confidence in your own handiwork
Hit me up when you want to tackle it, and we'll make arrangements. I seriously don't mind.

Best,
-Slashy
Molto Verboso
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:08 am quote
Kimono32 wrote:
OK, awkward teenage years...

Volume-33 (46).JPG
15, with my Uncle Leo - in Mexico. He loved going to Mexico....

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:01 pm quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Kimono,
I'm down in Cedar Rapids, where the derecho just blew in and nuked us all from orbit.

Judging by your description, your problem may be one of several things. It may be worn out gears/ cruciform, clutch, selector, or just misadjusted cables. Some of these are minor things, others more of a PITA. Honestly, my guess at the moment is your clutch isn't the problem.
Whatever it is, I have the tools on hand to line it out and enough experience to get it done.
Of course... *you're* going to use the tools and actually do the job, because the important bit is that *you* know how to do it and have confidence in your own handiwork
Hit me up when you want to tackle it, and we'll make arrangements. I seriously don't mind.

Best,
-Slashy
Offer of the decade, Slashy, and big huge thanks! I trust that you know your scooter stuff and I believe you are completely mechanically competent. Iím especially appreciating the fact that you wouldnít just fix my clutch problem. Youíd take the time to teach me to do it myself. Which is way harder, of course.

Iím not ready to tackle it yet, but when I am, gonna let you know. Sincere thanks for your most generous offer!

PS: pat Dexterís handsome cowl for me...
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:05 pm quote
qascooter wrote:
Kimono32 wrote:
OK, awkward teenage years...
Awkward teenage years? Donít think so. Totally COOL there. And definitely rocking the Baja hoodie! Thanks for sharing, qaólove it!

(now why didnít I have a sombrero-wearing, Mexico-loving Uncle Leo.....? So jelly!!!!)
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:13 pm quote
Tried to enjoy a leisurely ride last night but my silly sprained ring finger is holding me back.

Fat dum thing!!!! Just canít pull my clutch without crazy pain....

Been two whole months. Sheesh!

DAB823D8-E239-4892-89C5-FC5184B42240.jpeg

Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:17 pm quote
You really should get Slashy over to put in a Cosa clutch. Will be so soft. You'll be traveling everywhere by blue after that.
Ossessionato

Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:31 pm quote
Kimono32 wrote:
Tried to enjoy a leisurely ride last night but my silly sprained ring finger is holding me back.

Finger sprains can take a LONG time to heal. I sprained my middle finger a couple years ago, and it took a little over a year for it to heal most of the way up. Then again i'm a carpenter, so with all of the pneumatic nail guns i was using, it felt like my finger was getting resprained 50x a day. I'm sure you finger will heal MUCH faster. Speedy recovery Kimono!
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:47 am quote
Red nails?!? i was expecting at the very least to see a multi comination collection of blues!
Kimono32 wrote:

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:50 am quote
Just a thought , back in the early 80's I had broke my right hand and came up with an idea for my 68 Triumph , I switched the throttle over to the clutch side ( left side ) , this could be done quite easily on a Vespa as the its just a matter of crossing the cables. Here's another thought, broke my finger on left side and of course all they give you is a metal slip on thingy, but anyway I found if I taped my adjacent fingers to the broken one it made pulling the clutch so much less painful and gave added strength .
Ok I'll just go sit down in the corner now .
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:04 pm quote
Jack221 wrote:
You really should get Slashy over to put in a Cosa clutch. Will be so soft. You'll be traveling everywhere by blue after that.
You have no idea how tempted I am by this idea. I tried to adjust my clutch today. Didnít really make much difference in the overall ďhardnessĒ of clutching. The only reason I hesitate is because I really like all original stuff....

144D4B11-EBFE-47DB-87BB-514A1F9EABF9.jpeg

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:11 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Kimono32 wrote:

Finger sprains can take a LONG time to heal. I sprained my middle finger a couple years ago, and it took a little over a year for it to heal most of the way up. Then again i'm a carpenter, so with all of the pneumatic nail guns i was using, it felt like my finger was getting resprained 50x a day. I'm sure you finger will heal MUCH faster. Speedy recovery Kimono!
Thank you for the encouragement, whodat. A whole year, huh?......

Well, at least you gave me hope it will continue to heal. I canít get any of my rings on my RING finger and donít wanna re-size everything. My riding gloves are tight, too, and pinch every time I pull my clutch. Ouch!

I didnít know about your carpentry background. Those nail guns musta felt like hell on your finger!

I sprained mine at work, tripping over oxygen tubing. Itís a medical environment and there are tubes and hoses and cords everywhere. Itís a wonder it doesnít happen every day

Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous123...23242526Next
[ Time: 0.2019s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0549s) ][ Debug on ]