New 8" flyscreen on the Liberty
Post Reply    Forum -> Scooter Gallery
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 pm quote
Installed the Piaggio 8" flyscreen rec'd today from scooterwest. Very quickly shipped - (then found it for $50 less at AF1 racing)
Really like how well designed and clean the installation is. The Piaggio products mated up for an easy installation this evening.
The scooter had round tubes slotted through the lower front of the handle bar panel. A compression fitting is installed on the2 heavy gauge mounting arms.
Slide the bars in, fit the grommets into the screen - secure with a black trim plate and screws. Very clean installation.

Now I just need to get used to the "lighted" screen during my daily dark rides.
(I've never had a screen on a small scooter...the Burgman and Forza screens were well above the head lights)

I have the images in the wrong order - but you can see the results.
O.S.

slot.JPG

P1010738.JPG

P1010724.JPG

slot6.JPG

P1010726.JPG

Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:58 am quote
OK, first ride report on this screen.
Riding out to my coffee village in the dark this morning - I had to stop and put some blue tape across the top edge of the screen due to the significant glare all along the edge of the new screen. Really lessened what I could see of the road wirh the Liberty's pretty good headlight.
Wonder how other riders handle this?
Will try a strip of vinyl chrome door edge guard....only need it along the top edge of the screen.
The ride isn't Burgman 400 quality on country roads....but then this Liberty weighs half of a Burgman.
O.S.
Piaggio 2018 Liberty 150s
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 pm quote
Your Liberty Flyscreen
OldSchoot,

Have you tried lowering the flyscreen on the mounting rails? In Robot's YouTube for this Liberty, he has it mounted lower:
I bought the Liberty after seeing his review.

Also, does it provide any wind protection? I am only 5'4" and mostly legs, and the wind is in my eyes without any windscreen. I upgraded from a Buddy 125 with a 13 inch Cuppini installed, and it was very comfortable. There are currently only 2 windscreens for this new scoot, and the other one is a crazy 24 inches tall from the headlight which is way too tall. I'm wondering if I should wait awhile to see if more options become available, and that dash reflection looks really distracting!
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:53 am quote
Re: Your Liberty Flyscreen
Katgo wrote:
OldSchoot,

Have you tried lowering the flyscreen on the mounting rails? In Robot's YouTube for this Liberty, he has it mounted lower:
I bought the Liberty after seeing his review.

Also, does it provide any wind protection? I am only 5'4" and mostly legs, and the wind is in my eyes without any windscreen. I upgraded from a Buddy 125 with a 13 inch Cuppini installed, and it was very comfortable. There are currently only 2 windscreens for this new scoot, and the other one is a crazy 24 inches tall from the headlight which is way too tall. I'm wondering if I should wait awhile to see if more options become available, and that dash reflection looks really distracting!
Good scooter isn't it! !
No, placement lower makes glare worse. Robot's parts guy said this screen is notorious for the glare on the Liberty and the Fly. "No idea why Piaggio put it so close to the light!"
He told me to let them know if I come up with a solution.
Working on it......
Nope, not much wind protection. ..but then I'm 6'3".
Are you finding the brakes to be a stiff pull? Stiff compared to my Kymco.
Yep, Robot's video and the justgottascoot review, plus eyeballing it sold me.
How do you like it?
O.S.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:44 am quote
I thought it might be worse to lower the windscreen. Is it possible to cover the bottom of the screen over the headlight with maybe some car door edge stick on guard to deflect the glare from the bottom or stick on window tinting tape? I can't tell from the photo if there's a straight edge there. Or maybe there's a way to block the gap between screen and dash?

It's disappointing that there aren't more windscreen options for this scooter. I'm wondering if shops just haven't tried mounting one of the other Vespa-specific screens. There's a Puig I found online that attaches to mirrors on older Libertys--not as elegant an install, but more functional and probably has less headlight glare, but shop said it isn't a fit for our model/year. I ride in very lit up San Francisco, so the night time glare would be less of an issue, but it is already chilly and very windy here in August! I'm thinking of going to the shop where I bought it to see if they will try other screens on my Liberty. Scooterwest told me they would look around, but never called me back.

Yes--the brakes are stiff but compared to my former Buddy 125, but Buddy brakes were also grabby. I notice it more on the front ABS brake than rear and am hoping it softens up a bit after break in. I made the plunge on buying this new because the roads are so bad in SF, especially since our last heavy rain season. Yes--on all three for me too: Robot's review, Gottascoot, and seeing it/sitting on it sold me. It's a wonderful ride compared to Buddy and is beautiful. Shop told me Piaggio is going to raise the price--decided it's too low for what it offers. I LOVE it! Please Keep me posted on your Flyscreen progress. I did add a Givi 34L topcase that looks fantastic on my titanium Liberty--a must in San Francisco and am waiting for the sidestand to arrive at the shop--helpful to park on uneven SF streets.
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:39 am quote
Pictures with your tope case please!
Is there a lighted case option...running and brake light?
I lived in San Francisco in 1967. Great city.
O.S.
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:44 pm quote
OldSchooot wrote:
Pictures with your tope case please!
Is there a lighted case option...running and brake light?
I lived in San Francisco in 1967. Great city.
O.S.
No lights for these smaller cases, but you could probably use Admore LEDs, and they have running lights. I installed a 30L K-Max on my Buddy with brake lights. Shad installs them across the mounting plate (less visible), and Vespa has some kits, but I don't like the looks of those. I don't feel the big bright brake light on the Liberty needs lights in the topcase. http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monolock-cases/b34nta-34ltr-monolock-tech-case-detail We haven't had sun in S.F. for days but will send a photo when it's bright enough.
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:12 pm quote
Givi topcase--LOVE IT! (no lights but seems like something could be rigged) http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monolock-cases/b34na-34ltr-monolock-case-2398-detail

Falco adjustable midsize windscreen for GTS from ScooterWest--Not cold in San Fran anymore. LOVE IT!

Sidestand with safety ignition kill switch--Convenient

Rubber floor mat

IMG_liberty_side.jpg

IMG_Liberty_back.jpg

IMG_Liberty_front.jpg

Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:53 pm quote

Looks as if you need something like this?

OR

OR

Put some black electrical tape on the top area of the headlight and on the bottom lip?

Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:16 pm quote
Another LIBERTY !!
Yay !

Oh, that is very nice!

There's what?, like 5 options available for our scoots:
Side stand, floor mat, case, screen and 12v outlet.
You've got 4!

AF1Racing has some things back-ordered. I'm still waiting on my side stand.
I think i have all the spares I'll need for servicing for a year or two.
I don't go far enough to need a plug for my phone (+ that's a tiny 6AH battery and I'll be riding well below freezing this winter), and don't want anything catching my feet when I want to slide them off for a stop - so no mat.

Hang my library books from the center hook - so no case for me. Yet.

Thanks much for your posts and pictures - that is really a nice looking scooter.

The adjustable screen is a great idea! Have not seen that offered anywhere.
Screen glare OK?

Please keep the pictures of your Liberty in S.F. environs coming!

Well done mate!
O.S.

Last edited by OldSchooot on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:22 pm quote
waspmike wrote:

Looks as if you need something like this?

OR

OR

Put some black electrical tape on the top area of the headlight and on the bottom lip?

I used this - bought it on eBay, and phoned ScooterWest parts guy to let them know about it for their customers.

Works great.
O.S.
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:30 pm quote
OldScoot,

ScooterWest gave me the idea of installing the GTS adjustable windscreen due to the large headlight opening that wouldn't cover the Liberty's triangular headlight. Best for different weather temps and cost only $149.95, and no glare that I can see, but remember that I don't ride in pitch black darkness like you do. Loved the look of the one you installed, but really needed some wind protection.
I was able to use the existing metal rack to install the topcase with some creative brackets. I'll shoot that for you later.

My local shop had the same price for the sidestand as AF1, but they weren't sure how to install it, so I had them call Scooterwest parts. Those guys love installing all the options.

Last edited by Katgo on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:33 pm quote
Katgo....you need one more thing!
It is an essential!

An AGIP sticker on the cvt case.

Makes it run better. Honest!
O.S.
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 pm quote
Re: Katgo....you need one more thing!
Your trim on the windscreen looks fantastic! Looks like it came that way. I finally thought of that one too. Great job!

How's your gas mileage by the way?

What's an AGIP?
OldSchooot wrote:
It is an essential!

O.S.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 Midnight Blue
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:13 am quote

Or equivalent
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:31 am quote
Re: Katgo....you need one more thing!
Katgo wrote:
Your trim on the windscreen looks fantastic! Looks like it came that way. I finally thought of that one too. Great job!

How's your gas mileage by the way?

What's an AGIP?
OldSchooot wrote:
It is an essential!

O.S.
Well, actually AGIP was recently re-branded to become ENI. A big Italian energy company. Fortunately they chose to keep their very familiar 6 legged fire breathing dog as their logo! This logo is often found on all things Italian and motor powered.

Stickers are spotted frequently on the CVT cover of Italian scooters. Saw one in a photo of the new Liberty displayed at a motor show in Europe or Asia.

Our manuals tell us to use these lubricants on our scooter. But in small town America you won't be able to find AGIP oils or grease.
I got 94 MPG the first tank, mid 80's after that. Quit checking now - just riding and smiling.

O.S.

Last edited by OldSchooot on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 am quote
Piaggio has stopped working with Agip - Eni, like they did with Selenia, years ago. They have made a deal with Castrol for the next years...
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 am quote
Perhaps that is true -but think it will be a long time before we willingly give up the cool AGIP/ENI stickers on our scooters and start putting the Castrol logos on.
Here's an M3/500 which I saw at my library 2 days ago.

O.S.
Lurker
Piaggio Beverly 350 and Fly 150
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 pm quote
Fly screen edging?
Can someone tell me what the slitted black strip edging is called that was shown in the photo as a solution for stopping headlamp glare on the wind sceen? I'd like to pick something similar up!

Thanks,

--Brian
Hooked
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:33 am quote
Re: Fly screen edging?
Gobrigo wrote:
Can someone tell me what the slitted black strip edging is called that was shown in the photo as a solution for stopping headlamp glare on the wind sceen? I'd like to pick something similar up!

Thanks,

--Brian
Brian,
My history on ebay is not showing exact stuff that I bought, but I bought a couple feet from ebay...."black rubber U channel", "black rubber edging", etc. They make rectangular (when viewed from the end) and oval shaped, like mine. Only a few $...makes a big difference! Would like to find the silver/gray color rubber edging they include in some screen kits. Some of it is much wider than mine...reduces glare even more I'd imagine. The proper groove size stays nicely on the screen edge, with no adhesive needed.
O.S.
Lurker
Piaggio Beverly 350 and Fly 150
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 pm quote
Thanks, that helps. The closest thing i found so far is door trim.
2003 piaggio bv 200
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:42 pm quote
Katgo wrote:
Givi topcase--LOVE IT! (no lights but seems like something could be rigged) http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monolock-cases/b34na-34ltr-monolock-case-2398-detail

Falco adjustable midsize windscreen for GTS from ScooterWest--Not cold in San Fran anymore. LOVE IT!
Thanks for posting! I'm this close to buying a Liberty. Does that top case fit a full size helmet?

Did your awesome adjustable windshield install out of the box or require some kind of modification?
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Scooter Gallery
[ Time: 0.2364s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0520s) ][ Debug on ]