@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX232, Super221, Rat PX200, Rally 221MHR

Hooked
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC quote
Hey gang. I'm working on a project for a guy with flatbars (on PX) and looking for a suitable gearshifter. Anyone used/recommend the MBD setup?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
I have one but have not used it yet. Looks to be well made, all the parts fit and action seems smooth.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
I have one but have not used it yet. Looks to be well made, all the parts fit and action seems smooth.
same here.
@rob_hodge avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rob_hodge avatar
UTC quote
Re: MBD gearshifter
Stuarttiainen wrote:
Hey gang. I'm working on a project for a guy with flatbars (on PX) and looking for a suitable gearshifter. Anyone used/recommend the MBD setup?
well... it's ben aroun for a long time, and it either works for you, or is nothing but headaches.

i ended up fabricating my own after a while to replace mine a decade anda half ago, as it was nothing but a pain in the ass.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
rob hodge wrote:
Stuarttiainen wrote:
well... it's ben aroun for a long time, and it either works for you, or is nothing but headaches.

i ended up fabricating my own after a while to replace mine a decade anda half ago, as it was nothing but a pain in the ass.
Rob, what didn't you like about yours? I haven't gotten around to using mine just yet so now i'm kinda curious what i'm up against.
OP
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC quote
Yes....interesting. What didn't work on it? My customer has bought an early model set of handlebars from Thailand (I suspect), and they're not great. I've got the clutch nearly working...it didn't have enough leverage, I've grinded the lever and it's nearly there. The gear selector only has enough pull for a three speed, so I can only get 1st, neutral and 2nd, hence wanting to try the MBD one.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
This guy is a friend of Oleg's and makes some great stuff... no pics on here but if you're able to chase him up you'll be impressed.

http://www.scootercentral.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17444&p=187080&hilit=ade#p187080
@rob_hodge avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@rob_hodge avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
rob hodge wrote:
Stuarttiainen wrote:

Rob, what didn't you like about yours? I haven't gotten around to using mine just yet so now i'm kinda curious what i'm up against.
well, it never really worked all that smoothly. the aluminum on aluminum and the set screw that went in the channel just were allways grinding against each other and galling. it also seemed too big for the bars, causing centering issues.

i even went so far as to partiually re-engineer it, to use top hats to give the cabels a good stop enterign it, and to do away with the set screw that held it together and was causing friction in the groove by going to a stainless thrust washer held on by a bar end weight.

even at that, the slop on the standard motorcycle 7/8' bars i used was so much that it was always rubbing aluminum on aluminum somewhere.

i never really got the thing to shift well.

i ended up fabricating my own with some metal stock and series 2 and servetta lambrettta parts, with a little allstate mixed in. made bronze bushings and thrust washers for every friction surface on it.

i assembled it with grease 15 years ago, and when the cables are disconnected it still is so smooth and friction free that the weight of the lever makes the gear change rotate on the bar.
Top of my solution
Top of my solution
Bottom of my solution.
Bottom of my solution.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0594s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0293s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]