horn beep when key 'on' before starting, hydraulic tilt lock
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Molto Verboso
2010 GTS 300, 2008 MP3 500
Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 am quote
I understand that when I insert the key and turn it to the 'on' position and the horn sounds, that it is an indication of low hydraulic fluid level in the tilt lock mechanism.

Is this something that I can "fix" myself? I did not see it addressed in the owner's manual.

Is the bike safe to ride until this issue is resolved? If I don't use the tilt lock, and only the center stand?

2008 MP3 500 i.e.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:48 am quote
Has the bike been sitting long? Pressure may dip causing the alarm. Normally the tilt lock pressure switch is leaking. Changing the switch is easy, bleeding the system is more of a chore. There are threads here that cover both. Use the search function for more info. Yes it safe to ride just put it on the centerstand if your going to parked for a long time.[/quote]
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 pm quote
Re: horn beep when key 'on' before starting, hydraulic tilt
volosong wrote:
I understand that when I insert the key and turn it to the 'on' position and the horn sounds, that it is an indication of low hydraulic fluid level in the tilt lock mechanism.

Is this something that I can "fix" myself? I did not see it addressed in the owner's manual.

Is the bike safe to ride until this issue is resolved? If I don't use the tilt lock, and only the center stand?

2008 MP3 500 i.e.
I have not had this problem yet...
I am overdue.
I don't think it is that bad for you to do if you have done Brake Fluid Bleeding before, and have taken the front ABS off the bike to get to the Reservoir.
Check the Wiki, it may be there.

Hey if you do it...
Start a New Post...
Post the instructions and your experience.
Take some pictures too.
I am sure a number of us would like to see.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Molto Verboso
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 pm quote
14perry wrote:
Has the bike been sitting long? ...
The bike has been sitting for a long time. However, I've been using it recently. I can't bleed lines, so I'm going to have to take it in someday. It will be a bit of a trip. I've moved to North Idaho and the closest dealer is in Seattle. Going to take most of a day to make the one-way trip. I'll just not use the tilt lock till then.

Is there not a fluid reservoir that I can top off?
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 am quote
manualy take it off the lock with the button 2x right
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:21 am quote
volosong wrote:
14perry wrote:
Has the bike been sitting long? ...
The bike has been sitting for a long time. However, I've been using it recently. I can't bleed lines, so I'm going to have to take it in someday. It will be a bit of a trip. I've moved to North Idaho and the closest dealer is in Seattle. Going to take most of a day to make the one-way trip. I'll just not use the tilt lock till then.

Is there not a fluid reservoir that I can top off?
Fluid reservoir is behind headlights. Unless you see a puddle the level should be fine. Are you getting the beep each time you start it? If only after the long period of time don't sweat it. If it's parked for an extended period put it on the centerstand, turn off the tilt lock, and plug in the battery tender. Your scoot will thank you and forget the ride to Seattle until something major happens.
Molto Verboso
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 am quote
No puddles. Yes, and no on the startup beep. Get a beep upon first start in the morning, but then during the day, no beeps at all. Next day, same pattern.

Yesterday, and in the garage, I just used the center stand. Doesn't look like the reservoir is very accessible.

I purchased a trailer specifically to haul the Vespa and MP3 to North Idaho. Both bikes have about the same mileage, so I'll use them equally till they need to go in for roller replacements; then I'll take both to Seattle. In the meantime, my old dealer sold me some filters and oil and said to hunt up some YouTube videos about how to change the oil myself.

Thanks for the help and encouragement, everyone.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:44 am quote
No need to go to YouTube the WIKI here contains all you need to change the oil on both scoots. Get a filter wrench from Scooterwest for the 500. The GTS is easy to do if you have a chock stand and tie downs. Putting it on the centerstand interferes with draining the oil.

https://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/Piaggio-500-Oil-Filter-Tool/2444?clear_cat=true

https://www.harborfreight.com/interests/motorcycle/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97843.html
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 am quote
what is the code horn or beep and then beep for 3 secs 2 secs not then beep 3 secs and so on
or
4 secs beep 2 secs not and 4 secs beep
or
Continuous beep without pause
or
Horn
Molto Verboso
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 pm quote
Thanks 14perry. When I'm ready to change the oil, I'll hunt up that info you suggested.
Quote:
Maksor, continuous horn. Not really a "beep". It's the horn, and continues until I give it some throttle. That seems to stop it. Still, it is embarrassing.
The above is incorrect information. The horn is not 'continuous'. It is an on/off cycle of about a 1-2 second duration for each cycle. Giving some throttle does stop it. (I think. Better go into the garage to double check.)

Last edited by volosong on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:51 pm quote
volosong wrote:
Thanks 14perry. When I'm ready to change the oil, I'll hunt up that info you suggested.

Maksor, continuous horn. Not really a "beep". It's the horn, and continues until I give it some throttle. That seems to stop it. Still, it is embarrassing.
What happens if you hit the tilt lock off switch twice (give a half second between taps)?
Molto Verboso
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm quote
I am so sorry. I've been giving incorrect information. Just tried it again, to see what a double-off does.

Without running the engine, turning the tilt lock on, with the key in the 'on' position causes the horn to sound in an off and on pattern. Didn't time it, but it's somewhere between 1 and a 2 second cycle for each on/off. This continues until I disengage the tilt lock.

A double-off of the switch doesn't have any effect. A single off of the disengage turns the on/off horn pattern off. That makes sense as the tile lock is not on.

= = =

Just checked again. I'm all screwed up. Now something else is wrong.

With the tilt lock on, giving it a little throttle does indeed stop the horn on/off pattern. That is because giving it some throttle turns off the tilt lock. Such as leaving a full stop.

My new problem is that the bike won't start when i hold in the left brake handle. However, it will when I hold in the right brake handle. Getting frustrated. At least the bike runs nice once it's going.

Last edited by volosong on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm quote
OK, no worries.
So....

1. You are low on tilt lock fluid. But if this is the case, you probably also have ....
2. Leaking fluid at the switch. Pull off plastic until you can remove the electrical connection. If it's wet, that's your problem.
3. You have a leak in your pump.

I have had both 2 and 3.
Molto Verboso
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
OK, no worries.
So....

1. You are low on tilt lock fluid. But if this is the case, you probably also have ....
2. Leaking fluid at the switch. Pull off plastic until you can remove the electrical connection. If it's wet, that's your problem.

I have had both 2 and 3.
Uugh! I wish this happened when I still had the bike in Palmdale. Then I could have had the dealer take care of it. I've never removed the plastic panels before.

Can a bike sitting for a few years really cause it to leak? There is no indication of leaks that I can see. Bike only has about 12k miles on it.
Ossessionato
Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm quote
volosong wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
OK, no worries.
So....

I have had both 2 and 3.
Uugh! I wish this happened when I still had the bike in Palmdale. Then I could have had the dealer take care of it. I've never removed the plastic panels before.

Can a bike sitting for a few years really cause it to leak? There is no indication of leaks that I can see. Bike only has about 12k miles on it.
Time will do it. Especially if you don't ever bleed the system. Corrosion happens.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 pm quote
volosong wrote:
I am so sorry. I've been giving incorrect information. Just tried it again, to see what a double-off does.

Without running the engine, turning the tilt lock on, with the key in the 'on' position causes the horn to sound in an off and on pattern. Didn't time it, but it's somewhere between 1 and a 2 second cycle for each on/off. This continues until I disengage the tilt lock.

A double-off of the switch doesn't have any effect. A single off of the disengage turns the on/off horn pattern off. That makes sense as the tile lock is not on.

= = =

Just checked again. I'm all screwed up. Now something else is wrong.

With the tilt lock on, giving it a little throttle does indeed stop the horn on/off pattern. That is because giving it some throttle turns off the tilt lock. Such as leaving a full stop.

My new problem is that the bike won't start when i hold in the left brake handle. However, it will when I hold in the right brake handle. Getting frustrated. At least the bike runs nice once it's going.
Bad left brake light switch. They are cheap in price and quality. Very easy to replace on a 500.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=17968
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 pm quote
it depents on the duration of the beep one is speed sensor the other is fluedpressure
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:07 pm quote
Re: horn beep when key 'on' before starting, hydraulic tilt
volosong wrote:

2008 MP3 500 i.e.
Same old problem! Simple solution: prop scoot on centre stand with motor still running, push tilt-lock toggle to the right, hear two beeps (tilt lock off) and switch off engine. No more horn on start-up.

Last edited by Breitie on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 am quote
You can have the front plastic off in 30 minutes easy. 15 minutes the second time around. It would have been nice for the reservoir to be more accessible but not that hard to get at.
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:10 pm quote
FrogmanDave wrote:
You can have the front plastic off in 30 minutes easy. 15 minutes the second time around. It would have been nice for the reservoir to be more accessible but not that hard to get at.
Hi FrogmanDave, thanks for your advice. Thirty minutes, even fifteen is still insane. Why should it be so just to top up a reservoir?
There should be a simple access flap/lid just like for the brakes and the coolant.

Last edited by Breitie on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250, BigBeo
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:50 pm quote
Suspension fluid reservoir is literally atop of the right headlight and is not accessible from "fake glove box". The main reason for non-easy access is that it should not be topped-up, if your mp3 bleeds brake fluid from suspension lock, it should be repaired.

maxresdefault[1].jpg

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:10 pm quote
Slight correction FrogmanDave: thanks for your comment but it takes five minutes, not even fifteen. Once one knows the well kept 'secret'!

And Jah, nice to hear from you again and thanks for your comment also. As I now found out, thanks to FrogmanDave, access is not a problem at all.

I found my fluid level was well below the MIN mark and am not surprised that the scooter was complaining. I could not see any leaks but found that rats have chewed on some of the rubber hoses while the scooter was in storage in a barn. That could present a problem soon.

Happy Riding! I will be riding with much improved 'peace of mind' now.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my fellow MP3 Riders around the World!

Last edited by Breitie on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:19 pm quote
Breitie wrote:
Slight correction FrogmanDave: thanks for your comment but it takes five minutes, not even fifteen.
I was referring to removing the entire front cowl. I'm glad you got it going.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2939s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0429s) ][ Debug on ]