New Zealand assembled 180SS
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports Previous123
Molto Verboso
Honda elite
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:51 pm quote
Tierney wrote:
I have enjoyed reading this thread immensely. Your attention to detail blows my mind! 1 nitpick detail - the way the split pin(or cotter pin) is installed thru the wheel hub nut. I think you need to turn it 90 degrees and install it this way. Keep posting!
very cool Tierney.

Pigletpilot looking outstanding great color!
Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, (Both NZ new Airco assembled), Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:35 pm quote
Tierney,
I took the advice and here it is.

8lhBFujOSMibAxx3L+797Q.jpg
Split pin replaced and put in as advised.
Seems a better engineering result on reflection.

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, (Both NZ new Airco assembled), Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 am quote
I haven't reported here for a little while as my visits to the garage have been 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I successfully ran the cables then realised that the wiring harness was in the wrong place where the steering stop is, so I pulled it backwards, hopefully only as far as the horn hole. That was sort of okay but then the last of the cables didn't want to play the game so the wiring harness got pulled all the way back and I pulled the gear change cables out again along with the throttle cable. I bought a little USB camera with 6 LEDs that connects to the laptop and works with Photo Booth. This gave me a good look up to the bulkhead and it became clear that there was a bigger gap/hole at the top of the bulkhead that was better suited to the harness than the thinner gap under the bulkhead. So, all I had to do was get a lead into there to pull the harness back through. Let me tell you all, an old cable inner doesn't work. Instead, I ended up using old wiring from a car harness with the end bent to encourage it to poke through the top hole. Between pushing that wire well into the frame from the horn hole and using a piece of stiffer wire with a hooked end coming from the rear of the scooter and the camera giving me a look at what was happening I managed to pull my lead wire through the top hole. Having secured the end of the lead wire so it didn't disappear into the frame, I taped the harness to the lead wire and gently pulled it back towards the front of the scoot, push gently from behind. Without much drama the harness came out the horn hole and I untaped the various ends that I had protected and then repeated the exercise in the steering column making sure the harness was being the lock and above the steering stops.
Having successfully (finally) got all the wiring in place, including the wires for the brake light, I started rerunning the cables starting with the gear changes, then the throttle before getting it in my head that I had the wrong cable in the middle of the steering column for the front brake. Having removed the cable and trying to run it, I realised I was wrong! Damn. Measure twice and all that stuff. I put that one back with very little difficulty, ran the correct clutch cable then put the rear brake cable in place. Just need to do the choke to finish all the cables.
Looks like I can't put off reassembling the engine for any longer.

Bowels of Gina.jpeg
Looking into the bowels of the scoot.

Top of steering column.jpeg
Top of the steering column with cables and harness in place.

Cable exit point.jpeg
Where the cables exit the body - mainly.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:55 am quote
pigletpilot wrote:
...all I had to do was get a lead into there to pull the harness back through. Let me tell you all, an old cable inner doesn't work...
Nice to see it coming together! Two tools I use for getting wiring through are one, a length of plastic from Yellow tongue flooring sheets, and a cable outer. The outer is much more suited to the task than an inner. But I really must get one of those cameras!
Molto Verboso
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:46 am quote
I agree that the outer is a great tool, I was using it so I could hook it if necessary. That didnít work so the wire from a Fiat loom was soft enough to move around but also stiff enough to hold a bend on the end of it.
The camera is cheap and therefore isnít perfect, it reverses the image. But 6 LEDs and a bit of mind exercise soon had me seeing what was there. Knowing there was a hole that would accept the full diameter of the loom without dragging on it made a hell of a difference.
Looks like garage time may be increased with the current situation.
Molto Verboso
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:43 pm quote
Another productive afternoon in the garage with decent rain here for the first time in ages - officially in drought conditions in this centre of dairying.
I got the headset out and have done an almost complete initial build. levers and the headlamp are yet to be tried in their correct places.
The gear change tube fitted together well and all the bits were safely bagged as I had left them; whew 😅. The throttle tube needed a little adjustment at the outer end. Again I had all the necessary bits so it has been trial fitted into the headset. Similarly, the cable end piece was all spic and span and currently the speedo is sitting in the hole. I have put a new rim and seal into the existing speedo and left the patina of the original with the mileage shown as I bought her. The switch is held in place correctly with the original screw, but the cover has only been put on very gently.
If we go into further movement restrictions then there will be more time in the garage, although I will be asking some very basic questions about how to put the motor back together.

B72459C5-6A12-4A3A-B45D-C3FE0DF500E8.jpeg
Trial set up of the headset.

Molto Verboso
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:45 pm quote
A couple more pictures.

D0BA05CB-ABC2-4C57-AA41-921191D027ED.jpeg
The innards.

21AF4DF4-AACA-487E-988A-06FCF73F9095.jpeg
Speedo and switch cover trial fitted, loosely.

Molto Verboso
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:43 pm quote
Got back out to the garage this afternoon and fitted the clutch with new corks. A little challenging without the correct tool but a large bolt, a couple of washers and a 17mm nut soon fixed that. I clamped the head of the bolt in the vice and relieved the pressure on the holding clip then gently released the pressure and took it apart. The basket is in really good condition so I cleaned everything up and fitted the new corks and put it all back together. Getting the nut back onto the bolt was challenging as it wasnít that much longer than the hand compressed innards, but with help from my wife it was soon back compressed and the clip replaced.
Tomorrow might see the carburettor reassembled.

D3858DB7-A050-4FFC-BB18-F6C2E808D28A.jpeg
The corks that came out.

0D47DFD8-CB5B-4B8E-A9EA-BB63187C8A49.jpeg
The finished clutch.

Molto Verboso
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:28 am quote
So, a couple of afternoons in the garage and some finding of parts that had hidden themselves in the plastic bins I am using means I have got the left side of the casings filled. It's great having a freezer in the garage, pop in whatever I want to shrink and it doesn't get any increase in temperature in the two steps to the bench. So, tomorrow, if I feel the inclination here in lockdown, I will go out and start putting the appropriate bits into the right hand casing so I can put it all together.

IMG_1426.jpg
Inside of the left casing.

IMG_1427.jpg
Outside of the left casing.

Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:17 am quote
Thanks for documenting all this. I'm building an SS180 as well. I'm waiting for the frame and other parts to come back from the painter. Mine is the same color as yours. In the mean time I've been collecting engine parts.

By the way, what muffler will you use?
Molto Verboso
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:01 am quote
Don't know about which muffler to use. Believe it or not, I still have the original and there's no visible holes.
I am quietly putting the engine back together during our lockdown here in New Zealand. I have found I am missing a replacement fly side driveshaft bearing. It's been ordered through one of our local suppliers who does SIP orders regularly.
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:15 am quote
Really nice to read through such a well detailed project.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:06 pm quote
Well, things ground to a complete halt on the engine when the tab washer that holds the centre of the input shaft was broken at the tab, and SIP couldn't supply. My supplier in NZ ordered one from The Scooter Centre, but their delivery was being slower due to using a different delivery supplier. Still, I had some other parts for the body (rear light) on the way so there was that to get on with. The lens arrived - and it was broken. Bugger! However, that has been replaced by SIP and the washer arrived, so I really have no excuse to not be getting on with things. That is apart from the fact we are busy emptying the house so our carpet can be replaced. We bought this place about 25 years ago and didn't like the carpet; "We'll replace it when the dog leaves us". But we didn't. Now it has just got too much for us and our son works in the trade so he has organised the carpet and layers. He lives 500km away but in the next 2 weeks we will have new carpet on all the currently carpeted surfaces. As an aside, when our son came home and measured up he was of the opinion that the carpet is probably original from 1955 when the house was built.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports Previous123
[ Time: 0.1537s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0436s) ][ Debug on ]