Cut the darn valve cover gasket on my Liberty!
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:05 am quote
While wrestling the valve cover on during my last valve check...sure enough the gasket slipped out of the groove and was cut when I bolted it down.
I watched for leaks, and after the second long ride I found oil drips under the scoot. I knew to look because that thread of a thing falls out so easily when holding the cover on its side to refit it.
2 years ago I ordered 2 spare valve cover gaskets - today I found that what I'd actually had in my spares drawer were gaskets for the shroud!

So, will be riding the Kymco for a week or so.

How to prevent this ? Years ago I had trouble with a belt cover gasket repeatedly falling off during the reinstallation. Finally applied a thin coat of auto weather-strip adhesive from a tube. Just enough to hold gasket in place.

I will take a toothpick and add small areas of this adhesive into the Liberty's tiny valve cover tracks. I don't mind the cost - but the procedure is not a favorite!
Refitting the cover, past the hoses and with that breather tube attached, while keeping the gasket in place - is the hardest part of the job for me.
O.S.
Enthusiast
2008 GTS 250
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:06 pm quote
Hylomar racing blue. Works great sealing things up and keeping gaskets from moving
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1392s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0310s) ][ Debug on ]