OP
@wolrefnif avatar
UTC

MP3-250ie, Vespa GT200L

@wolrefnif avatar
MP3-250ie, Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
I have had my 2008 250ie for a grand total of 40 days. I have serviced, cleaned, buffed, polished, painted and the like to get her back to a good look. During that process, I have run into a few things and this forum has been great. However, I am stumped on a few items I am hoping you can help me solve.

A1. What is this?
Get on your MP3 and as you step through your boot probably brushed against the "dash" area where the emergency brake comes through. (see attached) What is that called? I have gone through the on line parts catalog several times and cannot figure out that part. (or maybe it is more than one)
A2. From the answer to #A1, what is it made of?
I used "wipe new" on the trim and it was awesome. The fenders are back to 99.9% new. It was spooky how good it works, but it made absolutely no difference to whatever the material is from #A1.
A3. As this is where my shoe brushes, I was wondering if people have tried something to protect this area or restore it. I read "back to black" on another posting but I was concerned it may rub off on clothing, etc. if wet or hot. Has anyone tried painting it or LineX? What about a "kick plate" of some kind?

Since I invested in the "wipe new" kit, I got the one with the headlight lens restore as well. This went poorly. My high beam was and continues to be clear as glass. The low beam looks like someone tossed gunk in the lens. I pulled up behind a car about an hour ago and could not see the low beam in the back door. At night it is bright enough, but during the day it is low and it detracts from the look.
B1 - I wonder if the plastic is "cooked" on the inside. Is this a known issue?
B2 - Any hints for cleaning it up? I read the light is sealed so it would require breaking it apart to clean it. It seems a bit extreme.

Thank you.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
A1:
This is not a picture of a MP3/250 (That's a Newer 500 Sport), actual pictures from your bike is much better.
That is called Parking Break
You would use it when engaging the Tilt-Lock, and not using the Center Stand.
The material is ABS Plastic...
That whole panel is replaceable if needed, the rubber around the Parking Brake Screws in from the other side, also replaceable. I think it is called a "Kick Plate" in the parts guide. But download a copy and you can see how all this stuff interlocks to one another.
Keep in mind anything 2009 and Older, Parts are becoming hard to find from the Dealer. Some of the Big Dealers like easyparts.nl in the Netherlands may have replacement parts until they run out. Then there is the crap on ebay.

A2:
I think I answered that...
Get into the habit of not hitting it and scuffing it up.
The stuff you are using is a Oily Product that sort of does the job, but eventually it will make the ABS Crack. Use something like Bikers Spirits Cleaner / Polish.
OP
@wolrefnif avatar
UTC

MP3-250ie, Vespa GT200L

@wolrefnif avatar
MP3-250ie, Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
Better Pictures...
klaborde - good point. I added better pictures.

The first is the "kick area". As can be seen, someone beat it pretty good over the past few years. The second is the headlights.

Looking at the picture I also realized the low beam is out. At least I am presuming that based on it being off during the day. Is that correct or are the small lamps the daytime running lights?
OP
@wolrefnif avatar
UTC

MP3-250ie, Vespa GT200L

@wolrefnif avatar
MP3-250ie, Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
Even closer picture of fogged headlamp
Close up of the fogging on the low beam. Outside is smooth as glass and cleaned multiple times. It looks like it may have been cooked, but more importantly - can I clean it up or do I need to replace it?
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Re: Even closer picture of fogged headlamp
Wolrefnif wrote:
Close up of the fogging on the low beam. Outside is smooth as glass and cleaned multiple times. It looks like it may have been cooked, but more importantly - can I clean it up or do I need to replace it?
Love your Pup picture by the way...

I have never seen a Kick Plate that bad...
I would replace it.
It's a little bit of work if you have not done it before.

The Headlight...
Cooked? Very possible they baked it a few times to many trying to clean it?

You can remove it from your bike.
Removing the Bulbs, put it in your Kitchen oven for a few minutes.
Separate the Lens part, clean it, and re-assemble with some good sealant.
(Check Youtube, I think that's how I learned the first time any motorcycle lens video.)
If your not up for that there is always ebay.com for a used one.

My lessons learned over the years; they all leak at some point and the inside will fog up. They are not exactly waterproof...
I always keep a good spare ready to swap, then I fix the one I removed for the next time.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
My Faith, she's 11 Years Old.
My Faith, she's 11 Years Old.
OP
@wolrefnif avatar
UTC

MP3-250ie, Vespa GT200L

@wolrefnif avatar
MP3-250ie, Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
Cooked indeed
Keith - Faith is quite a looker too.

The light was cooked this way... when it was pulled apart to replace the low beam, the housing of the socket was melted onto the bulb and a while powder is on everything. I think when the light went it overheated and the "fog" is the smoke that was trapped in the lens and then coated everything...

I was looking at the videos on pulling it apart and I think that is the way to go. I figure if it goes badly, there are two on ebay right now...
⚠️ Last edited by Wolrefnif on UTC; edited 1 time
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
I have used Back to Black (and posted on it). I have since found that it's no better than a liberal application of Lemon Pledge and some elbow grease - at least on the MP3.

BTW, the Lemon Pledge works very well.

I also used toothpaste to de-fog the plastic headlight lenses on my son-in-law's Toyota pickup. They did not get perfectly clear, but were much improved. I don't know if that would work on the MP3, so I'm not recommending it.

And no, I am not the father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"!
@hauntedmyst avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@hauntedmyst avatar
MP3 500
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0581s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0285s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]