Vespa Helmet
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
LX50
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 am quote
Just wondering if Vespa makes any helmets made in USA.

Looking for a helmet found a Vespa branded helmet on Ebay but it doesnt have the made in Italy sign.
Hooked
GTS300 SuperSport ABS
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:17 pm quote
Be very careful when buying branded helmets online. There are counterfeit high end brands on sale for too good to be true prices.

Have a look at this thread, where there's a bunch of posts with links to too good to be true gear. Even Schuberth helmets are faked.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/too-good-to-be-true-moto-equipment-scam-sites-merged-threadfest.1259425/

If you want to buy online, buy from a reputable outfit, such as Revzilla.com which will not be selling you counterfeit gear.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm quote
mingo wrote:
Be very careful when buying branded helmets online. There are counterfeit high end brands on sale for too good to be true prices.

Have a look at this thread, where there's a bunch of posts with links to too good to be true gear. Even Schuberth helmets are faked.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/too-good-to-be-true-moto-equipment-scam-sites-merged-threadfest.1259425/

If you want to buy online, buy from a reputable outfit, such as Revzilla.com which will not be selling you counterfeit gear.
Are people really so stupid that they believe there is a huge market counterfeiting every single pair of gloves Held makes, or every model Schuberth helmet, and all the boxes and tags, in every size? When we started out, we used to get questions about our prices, because customers in the US were getting hosed by US distributors, and paying retail prices that were sometimes more than double MSRP. I remember paying $305 for a starter for a Vespa LX150. Then they all claimed Piaggio lowered prices, often by 200-300 percent, seemingly overnight and utterly random, but only on items we added to our OEM Piaggio inventory. I saw the dealer price lists. Believe it or not, any changes were in the opposite direction.
The Held site is particularly interesting, because the prices charged on it aren't half of MSRP, they are fairly close to real MSRP, less IVA, so it's possible that someone is buying the stuff in Germany and shipping it to the US, bypassing the US distributor, and marking it up to just under real MSRP, sort of like what we do with OEM Piaggio parts we buy right out of the Piaggio warehouse in Pontedera. It's easy to do. The reason I can say this about the Held glove site in particular is that I am a big fan of Held gloves, and when my last pair from my big purchase in 2004 finally packed it in, I tried to buy them again in the US. What a racket. I ended up buying three pairs in the UK, and had them sent to another member of this fine forum, who packed them up and sent them to me. I paid retail, spent about $200 and saved about $300 off US MSRP prices. And I spent a month looking into the logistics of adding Held gloves to our site, but realized it is too much like selling helmets, which I don't like.
There have probably been people who have ordered off those sites, and none of them posted that they got ripped off except someone who got the wrong thing. It happens. I've done it.
Every year, the market is flooded with gear, and it didn't cost Schuberth ten times more to make that helmet sitting in the warehouse than it did the guy who sells helmets for $89. You can buy a pair of leather gloves at Harbor Freight for less than $10. And they're making money selling you those gloves. How much more do you think it costs Held to make a pair of gloves than Harbor Freight? It does cost them more, but even if it's ten times more than Harbor Freight pays for a pair of gloves they can sell for $10, there's a lot of markup in them there gloves. I recently bought a whole bunch of HJC helmets, including SYMAX 3 models for about $100 each. I got them from a well known US distributor who just had too many HJC helmets. I could have put them on our site for $150, and had people who paid $300 for them tell the internet they aren't real. Instead, I offered some to friends for what I paid, and didn't even try to sell them, because I think selling helmets is a pain in the A. I do have a lifetime supply of safety yellow Symax 3s now, and can safely take any current or future girlfriend on rides, regardless of head size. Deals like this happen all the time.
The problem with the prices on these sites is not the prices, but the people on forums who don't understand the business and don't realize they've been getting hosed.
GT 200
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:16 am quote
The case of Vespa OEM helmets is funny because I got around 20 or 30 Vespa VJ helmets in stock and part of them is made in Italy and part is made in Taiwan. Even better thing is that probably no one knows the helmet maker for Vespa. It definetly isn't AGV.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:34 am quote
I think they're all marked "Made In Italy". Definitely never seen nor heard of any made in USA.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1672s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0416s) ][ Debug on ]